Mamas to MZ twins with older siblings... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did/do your older kids have trouble telling your twins apart? My daughter is nearly 4 and still has *NO* clue which brother is which. She still refers to them by what they are wearing ("blue boy" and "stripe boy" ) or just guesses (and is wrong more often than not!).
At what age was it easier for your older kid(s) to tell them apart? I'm holding out hope that sooner or later she'll actually know which of her brothers is which!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 06:38 PM

hi cindi!
um, I still refer to your boys as "blue boy and stripe boy"!!! in my defense, they are VERY similar
#3 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 PM

My MZ boys have 2 younger sibs -- a 3yo sister and a 6m sister. The 3yo can ALWAYS tell them apart, has been able to since she could speak. She just grew up with them.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxymum View Post
hi cindi!
um, I still refer to your boys as "blue boy and stripe boy"!!! in my defense, they are VERY similar
I know! Sometimes I think that the older they get, the MORE similar they look!

#5 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM

DS was the only one who would get it right 100 percent of the time -- he said one had a round face and one had a square face (look the same to us). He also said O was "all girl" and K was "part girl and part boy" and he was "mostly boy and part girl"... so maybe he sees more of who they are?? Anyway -- he has gotten them confused this last year from time to time, but gets it right if he is really looking at them.

As for me in the middle of the night if someone else put jammies on -- no idea...
#6 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 PM

We are in a similar situation here and we dont even know if they are MZ or not. Their big sister calls them "the boys", this boy, and that boy, or will ask me who is who if she wants to introduce them to someone. Our ped was very bothered by this so I was a little concerned but I dont think its a big deal really.
#7 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our kids were 5 years 8 months, 4 years, and 22 months old when our MZ boys were born. They have all always been able to tell the babies apart. When our twins were newborns, it was easier to tell them apart than it is now, because one had a much higher hairline and also had a stork bite between the eyes.

They now look so alike that if they are sleeping (relaxed expressions) and wearing hats, or we are in poor light, my husband and I may very briefly confuse them. Our kids, even the now-three-year-old continue to have no problem telling them apart. They just know them because they've been with them every day. Our oldest boy is extremely sociable and in tune with so many nuances of inter-personal relations that it continues to amaze us - it's definitely his strength. That might make him more perceptive about differences between the twins than other kids his age.

It's been fun to watch our first son being able to identify the twins throughout the year he went from turning 2 to turning 3. If others (eg. grandparent) got mixed up and mentioned the baby's name incorrectly, he would reliably say, "No Grandpa, That's XXX!" He never got caught simply deferring to the knowledge of the adult.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#8 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I was starting to think that my daughter was amazingly unperceptive, since, like your kids, she's known these boys since their birth. In the beginning, she could tell them apart fairly often since they were 1 lb different and looked a fair bit different from one another. Though, a couple times this morning, I did a little experiment and asked her seriously, "Hannah, can you tell me which one of your brothers is Eli?" Then, a few minutes later, after they were dressed, I asked her, "can you please tell me which one is Sam?" She got it right each time...so now I'm starting to think that she does know the difference between them, she's just lazy and calls them whatever comes to mind at the time. Hmmmm.....

#9 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Neither of my older kids can tell their sisters apart. My oldest is 5 and younger brother is almost 4 now. They both call them "the girls" or "that baby." When they do try to guess they are only right about 50% of the time. I've tried teaching them the little differences between the girls but it hasn't helped. Maybe my kids are just unperceptive too?

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#10 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 PM

I never thought about this .......

I assume DD#1 will not have any difficulty, once we figure it out, but it may be a little confusing for DD#2.

Of course, this is assuming they are MZ ......

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#11 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 AM

My 4 year old never ever confused them. Even when we did. We asked her how she knew and she couldn't explain it. Well, we trimmed their hair (little wispy hairs getting in their eyes). Now she gets confused occasionally.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Our kids can't tell the girls apart. If I dress them alike, G always complains and asks when I'm going to put different clothes on them.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#13 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
Of course, this is assuming they are MZ ......
Sorry to go OT to the OP, but DiannaK, *of course* they're MZ - they're mono/di (or so says your sig). There isn't another choice.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#14 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Almost 6 year old DS refers to them as "brother". When asked if he knows who is who, he says "I just call them brother". . . . .

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#15 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
Almost 6 year old DS refers to them as "brother". When asked if he knows who is who, he says "I just call them brother". . . . .
Same here only my oldest is 7 1/2 and his bothers are almost 3. Or he will ask, "Who are you?" However, their dad had a hard time telling them apart, so I don't hold it against anyone .

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page