Question about hormone levels during early pg w/multiples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-22-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello multiple mamas,

Would you ever be so kind to share with me your hormone level numbers during early pg?

The reason is that my progesterone 11dpo was 58.9 and my HCG was 1079. I would like to UP/UC this pregnancy and was wondering where I was comparatively to your numbers so that I might reconsider whether to do a u/s or not. Make any sense?

TIA!!!
#2 of 13 Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm sorry, I don't know what my hormone levels were. I have read that there is a lot of variation in general in women's hormone levels during pregnancy, as well as significant overlap between the 'normal' ranges for both singleton and twin pregnancies. So, all in all, I would be hesitant to use hormone levels as a sole indication of a multiple pregnancy.

You could always get 1 U/S and then UC if all signs point to go!

At the risk of typing stuff you already know: However, if you suspect twins, it is wise to get an U/S. Why? If the twins share a placenta (which is usually best diagnosed by U/S in the early weeks before many indications of twins develop - say 8-12 - by a VERY COMPETENT practitioner), they are at risk for developing Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. It would be easiest to rule this out, otherwise you may end up doing more frequent U/S later in the pregnancy to check their growth and development to make sure one baby isn't thriving at the expense of the other - this is where we are, and I don't like it... ugh. Secondly, if the twins share an amniotic sac, you are in a whole different ballgame - very dangerous and requires hospital admission around 26 weeks, I believe.

Also, though I am at times disgusted that we had early ultrasounds, I think it really did make a difference for me to KNOW that I am carrying twins, because the demands on your body are pretty high; I was able to adjust my diet (tons of protein) and activity level knowing that my body was growing for two babies, not one. And I've made it to 39+ weeks so far.

I would not consider UC with twins until you figure out their configuration in the womb and understand associated risks. There are some UC twin mamas here who can prob help you a bit more.

Best to you, twins or otherwise!!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#3 of 13 Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Those numbers are REALLY high. A good place to look at beta averages is http://www.betabase.info - hope I have that right!

This pregnancy my betas were 172 @ 13dpo... 332 @ 15dpo ... and 897 at 18dpo. My p4 was 187 but I can't remember if that was ay 15 or 18dpo. I was pregnant with triplets and those numbers were above the average for multiples but still in the normal range for a singleton - the ranges are HUGE and there is considerable overlap.

Did you do fertility treatments? That would significantly increase your odds of multiples. Your beta is definately high enough to suggest more than one - more than two, frankly - but with your p4 what it is, it could go either way.

eta - with my son I only had blood work once - it was 10,000something at 5w3d and p4 was 27. I have also had 3 m/c but can't recall the exact betas I had with those.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#4 of 13 Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
Did you do fertility treatments? That would significantly increase your odds of multiples. Your beta is definately high enough to suggest more than one - more than two, frankly - but with your p4 what it is, it could go either way.
Nope, no fertility treatments here...

But it is funny about the betas and the p4 because everything that I have researched says the opposite that betas have a huge range and overlap and that the p4 is the better indicator of multiples, especially this early on.
#5 of 13 Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 PM

your numbers do seem high! mine were 270 hcg and 70 p4 at 13dpo. i was pregnant with triplets. good luck with your pregnancy and making your decision!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#6 of 13 Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mamaterra~ View Post
Nope, no fertility treatments here...

But it is funny about the betas and the p4 because everything that I have researched says the opposite that betas have a huge range and overlap and that the p4 is the better indicator of multiples, especially this early on.
Well it's kind of an interaction thing... you can't just look at one number. You can have one healthy baby making lots of HCG or several babies making a low to normal amount of HCG... p4 indicates how many eggs were released but also tells how good quality they were. So high p4 can mean lots of eggs or can mean one super quality egg. Minimum acceptable value for p4 is 10-15 so 40 or so could mean 4 eggs... or could mean 1 really good egg. I am not sure at which point for p4 you should assume more than one egg. But high betas can mean multiples even with ONE egg since eggs can split... and if you have identicals you can have one placenta (which would mean normal looking HCG) or you can have multiple placentas (which would mean higher HCG)

So um, yeah... really the only way to know for sure if ultrasound. But your betas are still REALLY high (which, not to alarm you, but can indicate a problem such as a molar pregnancy - which would be an added reason to have an ultrasound)

Are you sure of the day you Od?

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#7 of 13 Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 PM

My hcg numbers were 600 at 13dpo and 18,000 at 21dpo. I am pregnant with girl/girl twins.

Lemme tell ya, I was never sicker in my life than in the first trimester of this pregnancy. I think it was all the hCG...I couldn't eat for 10 weeks.
#8 of 13 Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
But your betas are still REALLY high (which, not to alarm you, but can indicate a problem such as a molar pregnancy - which would be an added reason to have an ultrasound)

Are you sure of the day you Od?
I have already had a very early u/s at 18dpo because I had a ruptured ectopic in September and lost a tube and they wanted to ensure that this pg was intrauterine.

Indeed, the babe is intrauterine as they saw the gestational sac and yolk sac. The radiologist also saw another dark area which he thinks could be another sac or a subchorionic hematoma but because it is so early and I have a REALLY retroverted uterus, it was too hard to tell.

I discussed my numbers and a molar pregnancy and he doesn't feel that it is a possibility.
#9 of 13 Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama View Post
My hcg numbers were 600 at 13dpo and 18,000 at 21dpo. I am pregnant with girl/girl twins.

Lemme tell ya, I was never sicker in my life than in the first trimester of this pregnancy. I think it was all the hCG...I couldn't eat for 10 weeks.
I totally understand where you are coming from as this is my eighth pregnancy and I am sicker in this one than all of the others combined...says the woman who could only eat plain pasta for supper.

I have been bedridden due to being so sick and tired....
#10 of 13 Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 AM

Sickness was a huge indicator for me and the reason I kept thinking I was having twins even when all practicality pointed to not. But the thought kept persisting, as did the twin dreams. I started to feel sick at 6 weeks and it persisted for probably only 6 more but it was SO severe!
#11 of 13 Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
Sickness was a huge indicator for me and the reason I kept thinking I was having twins even when all practicality pointed to not. But the thought kept persisting, as did the twin dreams. I started to feel sick at 6 weeks and it persisted for probably only 6 more but it was SO severe!
This! Me, exactly, as well.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#12 of 13 Old 04-24-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mamaterra~ View Post
Hello multiple mamas,

Would you ever be so kind to share with me your hormone level numbers during early pg?

The reason is that my progesterone 11dpo was 58.9 and my HCG was 1079. I would like to UP/UC this pregnancy and was wondering where I was comparatively to your numbers so that I might reconsider whether to do a u/s or not. Make any sense?

TIA!!!
You know, this just didn't set right with me and I went to recheck and realized that Oh Good Grief!!!! Call it pregnancy brain but for some reason I was calculating my days back into February instead of using March!!!

So instead of 11 dpo, my numbers are 16dpo p4 58.9 and HCG at 1079. Still high but not grossly!!!
#13 of 13 Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM

At 14 dpo with my twins, my HCG was 405. With this level, my research showed a 90% chance of twins.

At 13 dpo with my singleton, my HCG was 227, and at 16 dpo it was 1036. I thought I might be having twins again, but it was just one healthy baby.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page