Mothering Forum banner

MZ twin development

734 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  nd_deadhead 
#1 ·
Did you find that your MZ twins developed on the same schedule/time frame? I ask this b/c my girls are MZ, but...

Lucy has two teeth, Hazel has one
Lucy rolls both directions, Hazel rolls from front to back only
Lucy is "crawling" (pulling with arms, pushing with toes), Hazel spins in circles

So, please share about your MZ twins development.
I'm just curious!

See less See more
#2 ·
My girls were always pretty close in their development...usually within a week or two of each other. But now that they are six, they ahve very different teeth. One lost both bottom teeth over two months ago and has no cavities. The other has not lost any teeth and has had a mouthful of cavities. So I would not worry too much as long as the one who is "behind" is still within the normal range for her age. It can be both a blessing and a curse to have an identical to compare to all the time!

#3 ·
One of my girls usually met milestones a few days before her sister. They were always close except with walking. One just refused to do it, even though she could. It's hard not to compare them, isn't it?

#4 ·
I think MZ twins can develop very similarly, but it's not the "rule". When my girls were born and transfered to a higher level NICU, the docs kept asking if they were MZ because they were so similiar. They always did things together or one right after another. One day the lab got their results mixed up and the docs spent 10 minutes trying to untangle the mess when someone finally pointed out that there was only a 0.2 differenct in the values anyway so it didn't really matter

My girls are "mirror image" twins; they will break teeth at around the same time, though on opposite sides of their mouth. One is a lefty, one is a righty. But when it comes to other things, Becka usually does them first and Kate does it when she darn well wants to
Kate was never one to roll onto her belly because it made her uncomfortable. And Becka felt a lot more confident with walking so she was walking about 2 weeks before Kate did. Kate waited until she could do it without falling too much.

#5 ·
I was just thinking about this today.

Shira so far has always been first but only by a short amount of time. She started rolling over about a week before Miriam. Sat on her knees first by a month. They both started crawling the same week. Verbally, it's been identical days for saying Mama, Baba, etc. But Shira is blowing raspberries while Miriam is not but Miriam is making a lion roar sound and Shira is not.

My older children did not walk or get any teeth until 15 months. Shira popped her first tooth last week and as soon as I noticed, I fished around in Miriam's mouth. No teeth. So when my friend asked me this week how many teeth, I said, "one tooth to share"

#6 ·
The early milestones were exactly the same -- smiled within minutes of each other, sitting up and crawling on the same day or within a day. But O starting walking seven weeks later than K -- she was an expert crawler and I think she just didn't want to (she could brea weight on her legs, etc., and was just so fast crawling... once she started, too, she didn't fall down much). And K has gotten her teeth first as well, including this last round of molars.

What about personality wise? My girls seems pretty similar in general (especially compared to other kids... just their moods and behavior in general) but still are SO different, too.

#7 ·
My MZ twins were those fabulous breast-fed babies who only pooped once every 3 or 4 days. When one had a BM, you might as well get 2 diapers, because the other one would poop within 10 or 15 minutes. Amazing!

They cut their first teeth on the same day. They tended to go through grown spurts at the same time.

As they got older, milestones didn't happen so close together. One lost his first tooth months before his brother; one started growing underarm hair first (we know this because the one growing hair announced it at the breakfast table, and proudly showed everyone).

When they were 3 or 4, B had a nasty flu - he hardly ate anything for a week (though he never went anywhere without a water bottle). The same week, J had a growth spurt, and has been taller than his brother ever since. I'm convinced that B lost out on a growth spurt, and will never catch up in height.

At age 13, they are still very similar - though they try hard to be different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.