What's the likelihood I could home birth with twins or triplets? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And, it's good to know that we DO have a mother on this forum from time to time who DID homebirth her triplets successfully, just as we have MANY moms of twins who have homebirthed without complications. It might be outside of the comfort zone of a particular mother (we're all unique with different backgrounds and perspectives), but that doesn't make it a bad idea in and of itself. Let's be careful not to inadvertently insult any mothers who made a choice of where to give birth after a healthy pregnancy and safe length of gestation.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Before I got pregnant the first time around, much of my focus (beyond achieving the positive pregnancy test) was on giving birth. It was actually one of my main reasons for getting pregnant when I did (I wanted to be a homebirth midwife, but I wanted to experience pregnancy and birth first). I was 22 years old. I also had some idea of the kind of parent I wanted to be (I knew I would exclusively breastfeed, use cloth diapers, co-sleep, wear my baby, etc.), but the birth was the BIG THING.

In the end, I didn't get my dream homebirth (far from it, sadly), but I did get two healthy babies. Two healthy babies who needed to nurse around the clock and who I really struggled with caring for the way I wanted to in my heart (we were successful in exclusive breastfeeding. cloth diapering, co-sleeping, and baby-wearing, but none of it was easy like it would be with one baby). Birthing multiples is one thing, attachment parenting multiples is a whole other much, much BIGGER THING. The impact on your body is huge. The impact on your marriage is huge. I don't know a single mother of multiples in real life who is not envious of the ease in which friends with singletons move through their days.

If I were you, I would not be going into the embryo transfer thinking about "what will twins/triplets mean for my chances of a homebirth?" but rather focusing on what comes after the birth. I don't mean to downplay the importance of birth at all, and I do believe that a birth experience can have a very long lasting impact on a mother's life. But I think that most mothers of multiples, a couple weeks past birth, will be thinking more along the lines of "birth shmirth . . . OMG I have two (three, four, etc.) babies!"

I didn't fully appreciate all that I missed out on with my twins until I had my singleton. My experience may be extreme, but I still have yet to have a day go by where I don't wonder about what it would have been like if my twins had been born one at a time. And I do have a lot of sadness about the way things turned out (birth and beyond).

I took clomid to conceive my twins, and I admit that the increased possibility of twins was somewhat exciting and fun. I was thrilled to find out we were having two babies at once. But I really was very naive about it all, and I had no idea what having twins would really mean. Now I always cringe when I run into someone on the street who says, "oh, I wish I had twins!" Because I really doubt that they know exactly what they're wishing for.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#33 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
Fyi, I don't think anyone would proceed with a homebirth of either twins, triplets or singleton for that matter unless they reached a minimum of 36, sometimes 37 weeks (of course the number varies but it's roughly around that mark). That doesn't mean one doesn't *plan* for a homebirth and work towards that goal. If it doesn't work out, bummer, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't (so says one of the twin homebirth moms ).
: No one is going to be homebirthing their 32 weekers, that is for sure. My twin homebirth was contingent upon making it to at least 36 weeks. I've thought alot about whether or not I would homebirth triplets and I'm not sure. It would depend on a lot of things, including making it to at least 36 weeks, which is much harder to do with triplets. But still possible! In the book Having Twins, there is a triplet homebirth story and the mother made it to 41 weeks and all 3 of them were close to 7 lbs.

Blessed mama of four
::
#34 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
And, it's good to know that we DO have a mother on this forum from time to time who DID homebirth her triplets successfully, just as we have MANY moms of twins who have homebirthed without complications. It might be outside of the comfort zone of a particular mother (we're all unique with different backgrounds and perspectives), but that doesn't make it a bad idea in and of itself. Let's be careful not to inadvertently insult any mothers who made a choice of where to give birth after a healthy pregnancy and safe length of gestation.
presumably these women all knew of the increased risk associated with home birth of multiples and weighed the pros and cons of attempting a home birth based on their own situation. i would hope they would not find offense in others discussing this risk and voicing their opinion as to whether or not they are comfortable with it. any pregnancy may or may not ultimately turn out such that conditions are ideal for attempting a home birth. when you are talking about a hypothetical multiples pregnancy, though, chances are attempting a home birth will be riskier than average.

There are women who successfully homebirth twins or triplets - but there are also women who plan for it and don't get to go through with it, or who have excessive bleeding or other complications who need hospital transport afterwards. Again possible with any home birth but more likely with more babies, and admitting this should in no way be insulting to women who were able to pull it off.

lexbeach that was a great post.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#35 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM

Well, I kinda knew that already, because (like most of the twin moms on this forum) I spent HOURS and HOURS reading studies on pubmed during my twin pregnancy, and accurately assessed my risk status to be relatively small due to my own personal history. BUT my problem wasn't with stating perceptions of risk (like you did in your response-- stating what you personally would or would not do), my problem was with declaring something "not a good idea" instead of respecting the reality that it isn't whether it's a good idea or not, it's about each of us knowing our own course of pregnancy, our own background and expectation, and making the best decision that is right for each of us. A planned hospital birth for my twins was not the right decision for us (although we were certainly comfortable with transferring care before or during labor if there was a true complication), but I'd never dream of saying that a planned hospital twin birth is not a good idea, KWIM? Because it IS NOT about what's a good idea or not, it's about the fact that there is no one size fits all approach to childbirth that is "right," multiples or not.

For similar reasons, I'd feel jumpy if someone were to make comments about whether or not they think reduction from trips to twins is a "good idea"-- it isn't about "good idea" or not, it's about personal history, personal situation, what you're facing, what your goals/expectations are, and I'd be sensitive to the fact that we have mothers on here who have experienced these things we're talking about and it isn't just hypothetical for everyone here.

#36 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
If I were you, I would not be going into the embryo transfer thinking about "what will twins/triplets mean for my chances of a homebirth?" but rather focusing on what comes after the birth. I don't mean to downplay the importance of birth at all, and I do believe that a birth experience can have a very long lasting impact on a mother's life. But I think that most mothers of multiples, a couple weeks past birth, will be thinking more along the lines of "birth shmirth . . . OMG I have two (three, four, etc.) babies!"
I feel this cannot be emphasized enough.

The process of birth lasts at most for a week or two.

However, you will have two or more newborns for months. You will likely be pushed to the brink in a way that you cannot even begin to imagine by what that demand will do to your body, mind, and soul unless you are extremely fortunate.

I cannot imagine that someone would *try* to concieve triplets. Or that it would be their goal. I'm sorry, but when I see that...I am speechless because it really speaks to me of ignorance about what life with multiples is like.

You need to be putting plans into place about support system, finances, help, meal stockpiling, free/reduced cost resources in the community, saving for unanticipated medical and supply costs, if your "goal" is higher order multiples. You need to be shoring up your relationship (divorce/separation rate is high and gets higher as you move up the chain of higher order multiples). Getting into the habit of frugal living if you're not already. That seems to me to be just as important, if not more important from a long term survival standpoint, than worrying whether or not you can have the type of birth you envision. Most people can, some people can't. Regardless of how many children you birth at the same time. It's not totally in your control.

It's like when people focus on the wedding to the exclusion of preparing for a healthy long term partnership/marriage. There's nothing wrong with shooting for a dream wedding, but if that's your primary concern you're heading into dangerous territory when reality comes crashing in the next day or week.
#37 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post

The process of birth lasts at most for a week or two.
Ha! For you perhaps, birth is limited to the event itself and a brief period of reflection which is apparently unimportant in the overall scheme of things. This couldn't be further than the truth for myself and for many other women. Of course I can't speak for all, but downplaying the experience of birth is crushing to many, many women, even those who have had wonderfully positive experiences. My birth experiences are with me each and every day - I think about them a LOT. And I am fortunate that these reflections aren't filled with negativity and regret. For a lot of women, that is the reality. I'm not going to gratify anyone anymore with the "of course a healthy baby(ies) is the most important thing" - do I really need to say that? But it does NOT take away from the almost equally important to many experience of the birth itself. Sorry but remarks like these really rub me wrong.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#38 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
Sorry but remarks like these really rub me wrong.
Frankly, the assumption that if birth does (or does not) go exactly the way one hopes and dreams, so goes the rest of reality rubs me the wrong way.

The blunt truth is that you can (and most people will) have a beautiful birth with multiples, but unless you devote EQUAL or greater time to prepare for life afterwards, you're likely to find yourself with a reality roadrash.

But sure, assume that birth isn't important to me. Whatever makes you feel better about dismissing the idea that birth isn't everything, when it comes to preparing yourself for multiples.

Though on second thought, CAN one ever truly be prepared in advance? I'll have to think about that one.
#39 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Though on second thought, CAN one ever truly be prepared in advance? I'll have to think about that one.
I'm not sure!

I think that preparing for the actual multiples and preparing for the birth go hand in hand. Obviously, we can't guarantee that the birth will go exactly according to plan, and honestly, even though I got my twin HBAC and it was wonderful, I wouldn't say everything about that birth went exactly the way I had imagined it anyway. But I do know that you're more likely to have the birth you want, or something closer to it, if you plan for the birth you want. Does that make sense? I mean, I know birth is unpredictable, but so is, say, marriage, and that hasn't stopped me from enjoying that process as well and planning for certain aspects of our future. Anyway, preparing for the birth and preparing for the babies aren't two mutually exclusive things, and in many ways preparing for the birth IS preparing for the babies and their health and getting off to a good start.

Which reminds me of one of the big things that gets lost in the shuffle when we talk about this stuff is that those people hoping for a natural birth don't do so just to have the dreamy birth experience-- I've heard from so many women who have had bad birth experiences go on to have problems with breastfeeding, babies dealing with iatrogenic prematurity complications, or moms dealing with PPD or PTSD more frequently who are then in a less ideal situation to care for the new babies (and any others they have). So, a big part of why the birth actually matters is because we all want our babies (and our relationships with our babies) to get off to the best possible start. Obviously, there are no guarantees, but why not go for whatever it is you believe, in your unique situation, will make that good start more likely?

#40 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM

I had a horrific, traumatizing experience with my boys' birth. (including but not limited to lactation consultants who gave me advice that had I followed it I would not have been able to breastfeed successfully) Having a cesarean or traumatic birth does not sound the death knell for being able to nurse and AP parent--it was easy as pie for me to nurse my boys, despite one being in the PICU we never had nipple confusion, and I successfully advocated to keep the formula away from him, even though it took one of us being in the PICU with him 24/7 (a very horrible strain on our family, since we weren't allowed to have the other baby in there with us, I was recovering from cesarean and exploratory abdominal surgery, ect.) I think that gets lost in the shuffle too. I have seen a lot of people who have been frightened by the idea that if they don't have that "best birth" that it means that everything else will go wrong as well, and I think sometimes that is unintentionally promoted...which makes me very sad.

I think that when you're dealing the multiples, especially higher order multiples, it's in your best interest to make contigency plans and not get so hung up on one aspect that you're going to be demoralized if it doesn't come to pass exactly as you wish.

Incidentally, I also know people who homebirthed and who had problems with breastfeeding, because they just happened to have some of the very uncommon organic problems that can interfere with nursing (2 on the babies' side, one on the mom's).

I am not saying don't strive for the birth you want. Do. But don't get so hung up on it that A) if it doesn't come to pass through no fault of your own you're going to throw in the towel...you can't afford to do that with newborn multiples and B) you don't also spend as much or more time getting your support system into place. The support system will be there for you regardless of what kind of birth you have (unless you pick really horrible people). It's also going to be there during the times when you are so bogged down that your beautiful birth seems a distant memory lost in the fog of extreme sleep deprivation, and physical and emotional stress.

So sorry that people get annoyed at the "you'll deal with it even if it's not ideal". IME, that is reality though. And it's especially reality with multiples, because I think that most people find it's really not as they expected and/or dreamed. In some ways it's better, probably for some folks it's worse...but I don't think that you can afford to be inflexible if you want to keep your sanity.

For me, the birth part was a million times worse than I anticipated...but to be honest, having multiples was a lot better. (I was not one of those people who dreamed as a girl about having twins and how wonderful it would be, what I said when we found out would probably be considered a UA violation by most people.) Just because my birth was a truly horrific experience didn't mean that I couldn't do everything else I wanted to with my multiples--I exceeded my own expectations there. And just because someone has a great birth doesn't mean they won't be knocked flat on their rear end with the sheer enormity of the task that comes afterwards, and what it's like to go through the very long winter spell that is the intense first year parenting of multiples.
#41 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM

Obviously, we're all coming from different places. I'm coming from the perspective of someone who, after a very rough birth that did not go according to plan, went through around 18 months of severe PTSD-like symptoms and had a very rough time connecting with ANYONE during that time period, much less my baby. So, I wasn't interested in repeating anything like that again, and did everything I could to stack the odds in my favor for a good birth. But deep down, I knew that it was still ODDS, and that anything was possible (one way or the other). Because of what I had gone through with my last birth, I think I was more open than ever before to dealing with things not going according to plan, however, I was also more committed than ever to doing my part to encourage the outcome I wanted.

So, I'm not sure that we're even completely disagreeing here, so I won't say agree to disagree...

I do think lining up support for the first little while is very important. I had a great first year with my twins, for the most part, and just had to get used to a whole new level of chaos. I'm just thankful I wasn't dealing with some of the issues I had last time around (after my own horrific birth). Maybe it's a coincidence, and maybe it's related, but I'm thankful.

#42 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
a big part of why the birth actually matters is because we all want our babies (and our relationships with our babies) to get off to the best possible start. Obviously, there are no guarantees, but why not go for whatever it is you believe, in your unique situation, will make that good start more likely?
Thank you cristyc for bringing this up. This, for me, is why the birth matters. It is not about some perfect, beautiful dream image. It is about choosing the road that each woman feels is best to safeguard the health of mom and babies, thereby doing what she can to ensure a healthy, successful postpartum/newborn period and beyond. Each woman does her own research, asssembles a birth team she can (hopefully) trust and consults with them to determine her own risk vs. benefit analysis for herself and her babies. Some women will decide that the risks and benefits of being in the hospital outweigh the risks and benefits of being at home. Other women will decide the reverse. Both groups of women accept the risks that come with their chosen birth place, be that home or hospital. They are both valid paths that should be available to choose for multiple moms.

If the birth is very important to the mom, then that feeling should be respected even if it is not shared. And if the mom honestly does not place a lot of emphasis on the birth, well then that is her choice too. Both women share a desire for health/safety for them and their babies. It isn't necessary to say it to either.

From my perspective, the birth mattered very much. I chose midwifery care and homebirth because I believed it was the safer option unless or until there was a true medical indication that an OB or a hospital was needed. I was terrified of trying to recover from major abdominal surgery while struggling to care for two newborns and an older singleton. During labor at home, my midwives did identify an appropriate need for transfer (as they are trained to do) which happened in a safe, smooth manner. I did end up having a section. And it was even harder than I had imagined it would be recovering and caring for two babies at the same time. I agree that preparation for the postpartum period is also very, very important, but their birth had a lasting physical effect on our first 6+mo together despite my doing just that sort of preparation. So the fact that the birth did not go the way I had hoped did indeed have a dramatic effect on the way the "rest of reality" went during our postpartum period.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#43 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 PM

I have a friend who had 3 transferred... and one split. She she had quads. Did I mention she's a single mom? You may have seen her on Oprah a few years ago. Her quads are almost 5yo now.

Anyway, I really feel like this thread is starting in on scare tactics about mult pregnancy and homebirth and parenting twins, and let's get back to the op: it's all hypothetical!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#44 of 52 Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I don't think any first time parent can really know what birthing/breastfeeding/parenting is going to be like. There will always be some surprise involved, some aspects that just never crossed your mind (i.e. when you and your kids are all sick with the stomach bug), some things that are harder than you thought they would be (breastfeeding for me) and some things that aren't as big of a deal as you imagined they might be (nighttime parenting for me).

If I could go back in time and decide if I wanted my babies to be born as twins or one-at-a-time, I would choose for them to come separately. The birth experience would certainly be one of the factors I'd put on the list of "pros to have them separately," but there would be so many other factors on that list, which all add up to being so much bigger than the birth experience alone. Even if, for some crazy reason, having twins meant a natural homebirth and having a singleton meant a c-section . . . I'd still choose the singleton for all the other reasons. My experience does not reflect the experience of all twin moms by any means whatsoever! But for us, having twins has been a huge struggle, and continues to be be a struggle, even now that my twins are 5.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#45 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 AM

This is a fascinating conversation and I'm really interested in all these various opinions.

It just never occurred to me to plan anything other than a physiologically normal birth. I had already had two successful home births and one of those was UC. So perhaps I was already used to/deaf to the 'that's so dangerous' party line. I did actually have a breech twin A, who decided at the last second to come footling, and she was born safely at home. If we'd needed to have a c-section then we would have had it and I would have dealt with it but honestly, I have four older children and my oldest is SIX so recovering from surgery would have been hell. I chose to plan the birth that had the best likelihood of not having a big old wound on my abdomen when I got done. I happened to not have anything arise that required me to have a surgical intervention. Some of that was luck. Some of that was good planning. I was never so hung up on the birth that I couldn't see past it but I honor that fact that birth is our first step into parenting and as such, it is a very important step. Only one of many, but important none-the-less.

And for me, parenting twins has not been the doom and gloom I'm reading about. I hate to see that put up on this board as 'fact'. It may be the overwhelming majority but it's not the only experience out there. Perhaps it's because I have a lot of kids so throwing two more in hasn't been that big of a ripple. Or maybe it's because my two have been sleeping well at night since about 4 weeks. Or maybe it's just because I'm a laid back person and I have low expectations of myself most days. Whatever it is I am overjoyed to be experiencing twins and I have not needed nearly as much help as was recommended. I had two weeks of help from my mother and my best friend/her husband and my husband. Then I was on my own and we've done just fine. There are many hairy moments and evenings are stressful but we're getting on OK.

So for those reading who are pregnant right now, it's not always as hard as it's been said here and sometimes it's even harder. You cannot know until your set of multiples comes out and you see how it's going to be. Plan for the worst but hope for the best.
#46 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 04:17 AM

Chantel, I regularly want to throw my arms round your neck!!!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#47 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 04:18 AM

as in, to HUG you not strangle

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#48 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
Chantel, I regularly want to throw my arms round your neck!!!
:

Quote:
And for me, parenting twins has not been the doom and gloom I'm reading about. I hate to see that put up on this board as 'fact'. It may be the overwhelming majority but it's not the only experience out there. Perhaps it's because I have a lot of kids so throwing two more in hasn't been that big of a ripple. Or maybe it's because my two have been sleeping well at night since about 4 weeks. Or maybe it's just because I'm a laid back person and I have low expectations of myself most days. Whatever it is I am overjoyed to be experiencing twins and I have not needed nearly as much help as was recommended.
Same here, and it feels good to hear someone say that. I had help the first few weeks, which was very important to me (until I stopped bleeding), and then that was it. I have older kids around who help some, but they're still kids, so it's only so much. But I've really enjoyed my babies over the past year. Were there times I've felt a little overwhelmed? Absolutely. But I remember having those times even when I had a singleton. All in all, they're a lot more work, but a very special kind of fun.

#49 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM

The twin babies time was pretty amazing for me too . . . the twin toddlers and twin preschoolers is where it got really tough for me, which came as a HUGE shock and surprise (I really thought things would just get easier as the babies got older).

I never meant to imply that my experience is everyone's experience (or even the norm). I was in a somewhat similar situation as the OP while ttc, and while I welcomed the possibility of multiples at the time, in retrospect I had no idea what that would really mean (for birth and the rest of my life). I think part of what has made my particular set of twins particularly difficult is that they're both boys, but not monozygotic (in my experience, monozygotic twins seem to get along better), they share all the same interests, but have very different ways of interacting with the world. They are incredibly competitive. They, of course, also have moments (even hours sometimes!) of being quite loving and sweet together . . . although these days when they're getting along they can turn into a huge ball of unstoppable, giggling energy, and I sometimes find myself wondering if it's easier when they're NOT getting along, lol.

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that having twins is a horrible curse or anything like that. But if I was in the position to CHOOSE one way or the other (which the OP seems to be in), then *I* would choose to have my babies one at a time.

Lex

#50 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
The twin babies time was pretty amazing for me too . . . the twin toddlers and twin preschoolers is were it got really tough for me, which came as a HUGE shock and surprise (I really thought things would just get easier as the babies got older).
Hey, now, don't say that! I'm on a roll!

I've actually heard that dz same sex twins are MUCH more competitive than MZ, though I can't remember where that study was.

#51 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The twin babies time was pretty amazing for me too . . . the twin toddlers and twin preschoolers is where it got really tough for me, which came as a HUGE shock and surprise (I really thought things would just get easier as the babies got older).

Lex
Ditto! I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the first year was compared to what I was expecting. (I also had a great birth which I think helped because my recovery was so fast.) I had no help aside from my DH taking a few days off and when the babies were 2 weeks old I traveled 650 miles up to visit family. I was crazy! Then my girls turned 1 and it got really hard to keep up! I was a little shocked because I had heard that it was supposed to get easier! And now here I am getting ready to do it again.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#52 of 52 Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM

I didn't have a home birth with my twins -- didn't plan one. I didn't even research it really. I was less crunch then and knew less.

Anyway, I'm chiming in because my twins are from IVF. It was our second IVF after 4 Clomid & 5 injectables cycles & one miserable failed IVF. I was an emotional and physical mess. It was the hardest experience of my life. As I said on a different thread recently, twins seemed like the best possible outcome. It seemed like the only way I was going to get 2 kids. It's hard to overstate just how hard the whole infertility process is and how it just takes over. I transferred 5 embryos, which seems crazy to me now. We only had 5 embryos & they were all good quality. My doc was leaving our clinic & she'd put so much effort into trying to get us PG that I think it was her final shot or something. Anyway, I was thrilled with twins. When we first started TTC my DH said he'd hoped we'd get twins & I told him I did *not* want twins because it would be so much harder to AP them.

When I was PG, I did not focus on pregnancy or birth books at all, other than to read Barbara Luke. A friend told me she thought it was better to focus on what happens after the baby is born because the rest takes care of itself. Seemed like good advice at the time . . .

I don't think anything can prepare you, really, for the reality of having two babies because so much depends on who your babies are and who you are. That's why comparisons seem so silly to me -- who has it harder -- the Mom with her babies 12 mos apart or twin mamas. Two Fionas would have nearly killed me. Twin Phoebe & Ians would not have been so hard.

Lexbeach, I think it's such an interesting question as to whether you'd rather have your babies one at a time. I guess theoretically, I could have frozen embryos and transferred one at a time so I could have had that choice. It breaks my heart to think of my two not as twins, but Fiona has needed so much and has been so difficult and I think it would have been a different story if she'd been born first and by herself. She still would have been a high needs baby and toddler and preschooler, but I would have had more bandwidth to meet her needs. Nicer for me, definitely. I agree with you that I didn't know how hard twins were until I had a singleton.

So, to the OP, I just wanted to say something about IVF. It's good to have plans and think it though, but IVF will throw at you what it will. My first IVF we only had 2 embryos so we transferred them on day 2 since there was no reason to leave them in a petri dish. My second, 13 eggs were retrieved and from that, there were 5 viable embryos on day 3 & all went in. I have a friend, however, who had tons of good embryos and she has been able to transfer them one at a time & had 2 singleton pregnancies result from 2 transfers. That seems ideal to me. Twins are do-able, but triplets, I honestly can't even fathom how triplet Moms do it. Just from my own experience, I know that I romanticized pregnancy and having children while we were TTC. It's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. Also, much better in many ways. The love for your children is indescribable, but it is hard.

Sorry to ramble on and offer unsolicited advice. I hope your IVF works!

Best wishes to you.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page