Weight gain slow down with one twin - possible IUGR? Experiences, insight, etc... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 30-1/2 weeks pregnant with fraternal b/g twins. They each have their own sacs and placentas. Long story short:

In previous 5 ultrasounds both babies always weighed within 1-2 oz's of each other. During the 5th ultrasound, "lower" fluid level was noticed in baby A's sac but both babies weighed just over 3lbs. The 6th ultrasound a week later showed the same lower amount of fluid but this time baby A had only gained a couple of oz's and weighed 3lbs 5oz while baby B went up to 4lbs. The weight gain slow down and the lower fluid level combined seemed to concern the OB. He recommended 2 steroid shots to help lung development in case of early delivery. I did go ahead with the shots. He also seems pretty convinced that these babies will come somewhat earlier. I should say that he is also very much in favour of me carrying these babies to term and wants me to stay pregnant as long as possible.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I am assuming that as long as baby A is still growing (albeit slower) and does not show any signs of stress that we will continue with the pregnancy. I will be monitored at least weekly.

I have to admit that I am scared of having these babies early. I am trying to prepare myself as much as I can while trying to remain positive.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#2 of 15 Old 05-04-2008, 11:17 PM

I did not have the fluid issues, but my baby A was always smaller and towards the end he was nearly a full pound smaller. He was 4 14 and the other was 5 12, born at 34 wks. He just didn't grow as fast and to this day he is so much skinnier than the other.

Sorry I don't really have any advice to give, but keep staying positive because I think you're right - as long as they are not in distress everything should be fine. Your babies may not end up in the NICU, but I found it helpful to read up on it anyway, just to prepare myself for that possibility. It was much less of a shock for me to see them there than it would have been if I wasn't at least prepared for that.

Good luck and keep us posted!
#3 of 15 Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 PM

My twins had TTTS (not an issue for dz twins) and because of it baby A experienced IUGR toward the end of the pregnancy. It started around 32w and continued for 2w, at which point I agreed to an induction that ended in lovely vaginal birth. I did have the steroid shot at 33w. After two straight weeks or slow/no growth and decreasing fluid, and getting to 34w, I felt like yeah, it was time to get A out. One doctor wanted to do a scheduled c/s at 33w but I refused.

Anyway, no advice other than to watch it and also trust your instincts.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 12:14 AM

Just thought I'd point out that u/s weights are notoriously wrong. I was believing the weights they told me, that my Baby A would be bigger than B, and should have been about 7 pds give or take at delivery, based on u/s, but Baby A was 5 lbs 14 oz and B was 6 lbs 10 oz. I think a lot of people on the board had some similar experiences. Mine isn't that dramatic, but was pretty off in at least two ways.
#5 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
Just thought I'd point out that u/s weights are notoriously wrong. I was believing the weights they told me, that my Baby A would be bigger than B, and should have been about 7 pds give or take at delivery, based on u/s, but Baby A was 5 lbs 14 oz and B was 6 lbs 10 oz. I think a lot of people on the board had some similar experiences. Mine isn't that dramatic, but was pretty off in at least two ways.
I've heard that a lot which is why I am questioning things a little more. I think the low fluid level combined with the fact that at every ultrasound baby A has been squished head down on my right side and baby B has been completely smothering baby A and in every position imaginable is making me a bit more worried. The ultrasounds have been at the same place everytime and with the same technician but still.......I know the measurements can be off. I guess we'll see what happens on Friday when I go for another one.

Thanks for everyone's replies

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#6 of 15 Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM

Ultrasound can be way off, but it is reason to be concerned.

My guys were born at 33 weeks due to IUGR. Babies B and C were growing excellently. Baby A started falling off his growth chart at about 28 weeks. So, we moved to 2-week apart ultrasounds. At the 30-week ultrasound, he had hardly grown, but the blood flow to his placenta and brain were good. At 32-weeks, he hadn't grown at all, the blood flow in the placenta was just below the normal range but the blood flow to his brain was good, so I was admitted to hospital for more frequent ultrasounds. As soon as there was an ultrasound that showed a negative change in the blood flow to his brain, I had a c-section. I am convinced that the timing was perfect. He was born at 2 lbs 9oz with almost no body fat, but he has developed completely normally and is now a happy, healthy one-year old, bigger than his sister by a good 2 lbs.

Make sure they watch the blood flow to the brain. I am sure it is the best indicator of likelihood of trouble.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#7 of 15 Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
Ultrasound can be way off, but it is reason to be concerned.

My guys were born at 33 weeks due to IUGR. Babies B and C were growing excellently. Baby A started falling off his growth chart at about 28 weeks. So, we moved to 2-week apart ultrasounds. At the 30-week ultrasound, he had hardly grown, but the blood flow to his placenta and brain were good. At 32-weeks, he hadn't grown at all, the blood flow in the placenta was just below the normal range but the blood flow to his brain was good, so I was admitted to hospital for more frequent ultrasounds. As soon as there was an ultrasound that showed a negative change in the blood flow to his brain, I had a c-section. I am convinced that the timing was perfect. He was born at 2 lbs 9oz with almost no body fat, but he has developed completely normally and is now a happy, healthy one-year old, bigger than his sister by a good 2 lbs.

Make sure they watch the blood flow to the brain. I am sure it is the best indicator of likelihood of trouble.
Thank you! I know that they check the blood flow in the umbilical cord at each visit. I will have to ask about measuring the blood flow to the brain. I am nervous for Friday's ultrasound and hoping that things still look OK and baby A is growing. But, being an A type personality and always needing to be prepared I have my bag packed and have picked up a book on caring for preemies. I'm hoping the more prepared I am the greater the chance that I won't need to be.

#8 of 15 Old 05-08-2008, 12:14 AM

I would certainly keep an eye on things, but wanted to say that I had b/g twins that were almost 2 lbs different in weight at birth and were quite different in weight from 20 weeks on or so (that was when I found out there were two). They were born perfectly healthy and at now 22 mo Jude is huge and Ava is petite and there is 8 lbs difference in weight. That is just the way they were built. I wish you and you babies the best!

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#9 of 15 Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 PM

My friends twins had that happen...they had been within this specific range for a long time and then one didnt seem to grow at all for a week or two and her OB freaked and did an elective cesarean at 30 weeks. Turned out both babies were bigger than he thought and the weight difference was much smaller than he thought.

Ultrasounds arnt 100% accurate...AT ALL. Its also possible one just slowed down for a bit and then will jump in size in a few weeks. I wouldnt worry too much.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#10 of 15 Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 AM

Yes ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate. Every baby grows and develops differently.

Also, I truly believe that your perceptions affect the outcome of your pregnancy. If you're told you'll deliver early, you believe that you'll deliver early, you are treated like you'll deliver early, I think that greatly increases your chances of delivering early. Just remember that your body is perfectly capable of carrying these babies safely. Doctors are trained to find pathology and they have been known to find pathology where none exists.
#11 of 15 Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 AM

My babies were 6 lbs 10 oz and 8 lbs 4 oz at birth (girl/boy). They were both very healthy but my son has always just been much bigger than my daughter. He still weighs more than she does now, even though she is taller than him. IUGR is a very real concern, but some weight differences can be normal, too.

Blessed mama of four
::
#12 of 15 Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 AM

i myself was a preemie twin B/G i weight 5lbs 5oz 18in my bother was 6lbs 9oz and 21in. so i think that boy girl twins are more likely to have different weights then identical. also u/s can't be trusted, with my first they gave an u/s a week before i had her and they said she would maybe be five pounds. she was 6lbs 1oz. and with my son i had an u/s day before i had him and they said 5lbs 6oz and he was 6lbs 10oz so i wouldn't really worry just yet.

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#13 of 15 Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. I agree that ultrasound weights can definitely be off. I think it's the combination of low fluid level for baby A that occurred at the same time as the slow down in weight gain because they have always been pretty identical in terms of weight (up until 30 weeks). I'm really hoping that today's ultrasound shows that he is growing still. I don't mind keeping an extra eye on things (non-stress test) to make sure and I know my OB is supportive of that and keeping me pregnant so I guess we'll just wait and see. I'll post an update hopefully later today once I come home! Maybe I could get some : from you all today . Thanks!

#14 of 15 Old 05-10-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update and all good news! Baby A still has "low" fluid but it's holding steady and still an OK amount. Plus baby A has grown quite a bit and now both babies are about 4lbs. Next appointment will be in two weeks instead of one week. OB is happy and confident babies are doing well. Thanks for all the replies.

#15 of 15 Old 05-11-2008, 02:18 PM

I had the same problem with my twins. Baby quit growing according to the ultrasound. They were monitoring us every other week - and as much as his weight wasn't increasing, his measurements for stomach were not growing either.
I ended up being induced early at 35w 5d. Baby A was 4lb 17" and Baby B was 5lbs and 18".
Good luck to you.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page