Undiagnosed Twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this has been dicussed before but I dont know how to search for stuff so I'm starting a new thread . Have any of you had undiagnosed twins or know of anyone who has? Even with ultrasounds? I would imagine its pretty darned rare...but I could see it still happening even today. And yeah I'm asking because I have to wonder about myself, but really I doubt anything like that. My dh brought it up and now I'm curious! (this is my 5th baby and I've been measuring ahead the whole time, where as I usually measure behind...I just hit 21 weeks yesterday and my fundus is at my diaphragm! So now dh is saying I'm having twins...or triplets...again. I thought the ultrasound would make him shutup! sigh.)

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 AM

I would think it's nearly impossible to not detect twins by ultrasound if you wait until 20 weeks. It is pretty common to miss twins by ultrasound in the early weeks but they will show up once the babies are bigger. Also, with twins you will have a higher fundal height in the beginning of your pregnancy-once you get to the later weeks it is not as telling. But I can see how twins could go undiagnosed if you don't get an ultrasound-that is usually the case when twins are undiagnosed. But I will admit I am a bit skeptical when people talk about surprise twins, because how can you REALLY not suspect them? My twin pregnancy was so, so different and I was so huge that even without an ultrasound I would have known it was twins. I mean, if there is no actual proof of twins, then technically they are undiagnosed, but are they truly a surprise?

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we were wondering in the begining actually, I've been measuring bigger than normal since I was first checked (12 weeks) and the gap is lengthening. I know at 15 weeks I was measuring 20. Anyway, like I said, I doubt I myself have a surprise twin-although something is off with this pregnancy, I just dont know what. Dh saying something about it made me wonder if anyone else happened to have surprise twins .

I did read about a lady who only saw one baby during a 14 week ultrasound and then had the 2nd baby show up on the 20 week one, but I cant imagine missing multiples after several ultrasounds. Unless its a HORRIBLE tech or some seriously freaky thing...like a baby outside the womb .

On a side note...my MIL had had several ultrasounds of her kidneys when they discovered during the 4th one that she had an extra kidney!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How many cm ahead of how many weeks are you? When was your U/S? Are you doing your own PNC? I suspected twins by 12 weeks because my fundus was almost to my belly button. When did you notice that you were bigger than usual?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I got preoccupied with spring cleaning and didnt get on the forums for a few days. Nesting I spose, hehe.

At 12 weeks I was supposidly measuring right on target-then at 15 weeks I was at my naval. However, I noticed the newer midwife seems to put her fingers where she thinks the fundus should be and doesnt get an accurate measurment. So I dont know, I could have been bigger at 12 weeks. She said at my last visit (18 weeks) that I was right on, but I know my uterus was already well above my belly button. The other, more experienced midwife, gets the measurements right though, so I know I'm not imagining this!!! lol. I'm 22 weeks today and my fundus is up at my diaphragm now-I measured 30 cm myself, but I missed my appt yesterday so not sure what she would say.

I really DONT think there is a second baby, despite nagging doubt because of it being so odd. Again, this is my 5th and I've usually measured 2 weeks behind normal. I've been wondering about a growth of some sort on the top portion of my uterus but they didnt notice anything during the US (although they were looking at the baby and not for something else). I feel all the movement in the lower portion of my belly where I should be-part of the reason that I'm so sure there isnt a second babe hiding in there. I just dont know what to think. I just hope I dont run out of room in there and end up with a preemie

Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Is there a possibility of polyhydramnios? Or another condition that might cause you to be measuring ahead?

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 PM

I think you may have read about my situation -- I had an u/s with my twins at about 12w that didn't show twins, and then discovered I was having twins at 18w.

However, my 12w u/s was only a super-quickie because the nurse couldn't find the baby(ies) heartbeat with a doppler. I think she just put the u/s on, said, Hey look it's your baby, and that was that. If she'd spent more than 30 seconds on it, she would have seen two. At my 18w u/s the tech saw them right away.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

We had undiagnosed twins without ultrasound, and yes, we did suspect a little, but fundal height never measured big, I didn't gain any extra weight (two previous pregnancies) and we all just wrote it off as "third baby is different"...

Deb
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM

Oh, and we have homebirths so we were glad in the end as my particular midwives don't do twins at home...

Deb
Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, its illegial in my state to *knowingly* deliver twins at home (at least with a CM).

No one said anything about polyhydroamnios on the ultrasounds, everything looked normal. They did definately focus down low on both of them, but even so...I wouldnt think another baby could hide that well, even it were transverse above the other one. I think the growth has slowed down a bit though, thankfully. And I can feel baby up there now, lol. I've been gettin kicked all over-hes gonna be a soccer player

I'm just going to try to not worry myself about it. I'm sure that as I get bigger the midwives would feel a second baby if there were one. Shoot, I probably would too. I'll just wait and hope that the growth slows down and if it doesnt, I'll see about getting an abdominal ultrasound to check for other growths or other reasons for it. Who knows, maybe there is no reason and its just *one of those things.* As long as I get a healthy bubba I dont care.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and very cool Deb! Forgot to add that part....lol

Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM

fibriods can also affect fundal height. there are lots of things that can actually. usually (not always, but usually) with multiples, the thing that can tip you off isn't just measuring ahead. it's measuring ahead combined with an accelerating increase in the gap btwn the typical for dates measurement and your current measurement. so one apt. a mom measures 4cm ahead and 4 weeks later she measures 6cm ahead and 4 weeks later she measures 12cm ahead. you get the idea.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I dunno, I've heard so many different things from multiple mamas regarding fundal height. Some never measured big, some were constantly large from the begining (and kept the gap pretty much the same until the last few months), some were normal and then had a big jump....its just like a singleton, it varies so much.

I missed my last MW appt (doh), so I cant be sure what I'm measuring now. I cant find a darned tape measurer to do it myself either, lol. You are right though-I had a big jump between 12 weeks and 15 weeks, then the gap continued to grow until about 20 weeks, when the growth continued, but didnt widen. I feel like its slowed down now but again, cant be sure until I can actually measure. Its harsh though, I'm already having trouble breathing and I'm feeling kicks up at my ribs already! lol

Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM

We discovered our twins almost immediately (husband is an OB and gave me an ultrasound before 7 weeks b/c I wanted to see a heartbeat).

That said, I carry small (even with twins) and one of their placentas was anterior and my OB said many times that without ultrasounds he never would have thought twins until the very end.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

I wont get early ultrasounds anymore because of that actually. My second was a twin and my surrogate babe was a triplet. In both cases, the extra embryo's stopped growing (vanishing twin I spose). With the triplets it was sort of a relief but with my 2nd it was disappointing to go in at 13 weeks for another ultrasound and find the other fetus was gone .

My friend was like that-if you look at her when pregnant with a singleton vs. her twins, you never would've seen a difference. She had her twins first but I could imagine if it'd been after a singleton, no one would've guessed!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:25 AM

There is a woman in my local twins club who just gave birth to undiagnosed twins. Don't know if she had an ultrasound during her pregnancy or not.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 AM

My paternal grandmother didn't know she was having twins until she delivered. She had boys.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, from what I understand, it was pretty common until the 70's/80's to have surprise twins. Still, even back then, it had to be a shock for the parents!!

I found out my friends grandmother was a surprise twin. They did an xray and only saw one-she was hiding perfectly behind the other babe. She said her great grandmother was more annoyed than shocked, haha.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:58 PM

I was at a birth last year where the mama had undiagnosed twins. She went past 40 weeks but still didn't measure big and babies were 6 and 8 lbs. She had no u/s.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
Old 05-24-2008, 10:36 PM

okay so i think maybe i have a missed twin. i went in on the 22nd thinking i was 17 weeks pregnant. ob said i'm meassuring good for dates but my uterus is strangly wide. anywho, she goes to find a heartbeat and nothing. so she looks at me and says if i had to guess i would say 12 weeks pregnant with twins. (this is my third pregnancy, i am a twin and twins run in my family) anywho, i get an u/s that lasted 5 min. tops. she just finds the baby and dates it 12 weeks and tells me i can go. is it possible for a baby to be under another baby. because when i push on my uterus... where the baby is i feel something hit my tailbone. i don't know i guess i'm just wondering why my uterus is so darn big. i could feel it above my pubic bone since six weeks. i guess i'm just venting. tell me your thoughts

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
Old 05-25-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

At 12 weeks, you should be able to get a heartbeat regardless, so thats kind of odd. She isnt at all concerned that you are measuring 17 weeks and only seeing one baby measuring 12 weeks? Again...that seems odd. Everything looked normal on the US? It could be the same thing I've been worrying about, a growth or something.

I'm measuring way ahead but theres two things-this is my 5th, so measuring a bit big shouldnt be a big shocker, and secondly, even besides that, my midwives are still wondering why I'm measuring so big. Anywho, gotta run, Denny's woot!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM

i didn't get a chance to talk to her after the u/s. i was just with a tech, but the tech didn't seem at all concerned. she just kind of implied that i could have had a twin disappear... which also doesn't make any sense since there was no proof in the long run. oh well, i guess i just wont worry about it unless my uterus continues to grow like it has been.

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...maybe she wasnt a very good tech? Haha.

I have a midwife appt at 6:30, I'll see what she wants to do then. I'm feeling kicks at my upper ribs, near the diaphragm now, and it really doesnt make sense, since I myself feel my fundal height below that (not by much but its still above what I feel as my fundus). Maybe my uterus is odd shaped this time around and for some reason, the fundus is further back and hard to feel? I dunno-but my dh felt the kicks too so I know it wasnt just intestinal or something! I can feel them on the outside right now too...I just dont know what to think!!!

I also swear I woke up to hicupps on opposite sides of my belly but since it was 3am, I might've been dreaming, lol.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know the basics as to protien intake for multiples? I mean, the suggested amount? I use to have the Having Twins book (my 2nd had a disappearing twin so I bought it way back then) but I gave it to my friend when she was having twins. I dont remember what the recommendations were and IF there is a chance of a surprise twin, I'd like to eat more for that...although, would that cause an issue if there is only one? GAH!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that if your ultrasound was after, say, 10-12 weeks, you'd know by now if there was a second baby in there. Usually, with only two babies, ultrasounds after that point will see it. The only times you hear of multiple mamas really having babies missed by a late ultrasound is if you're expecting, say, 6 babies, and the ultrasound missed that sneaky seventh.

But no, I don't think eating a ton of healthy, lean proteins (some recommend 176 grams a day for twins) would do anything other than make you have a fat little singleton, if you're only expecting one.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hehe...fat babies...I love em.

So, wierd visit, first midwife measured me at 29cms, the other one measured me at 26cms-both big but a bit of a difference. I'm just glad they didnt say 34cms or something. When I asked about the kicking up near my diaphragm/ribs, she said it was transference kicking?? That he is kicking another organ and thats why I feel it up so high. But when I said that dh could feel the kicks on the outside too she just kind of changed the subject.

Oh well, I'll just hang out and whatever happens, happens. Hopefully I wont be back here in 16 weeks going "so guess what..."

Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 AM

I just wanted to say that I hope that the worry/ unknown feeling doesn't take the edge off enjoying this pregnancy. It can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster when something seems 'out' iykwim, especially if you lean on your intuition a lot in your day to day life.

I know of a triplet being missed an entire pregnancy; it was hiding way up into the placenta at delivery. So, stranger things have happened and all, but it is still unlikely, as one poster said already, to miss one after 12 weeks in the case of twins.

I guess if you end up having two to welcome, you can be open to that, but ready for a singleton who will need just as much love.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Nope, I'll be perfectly happy either way! We're being minimally prepared though...extra set of cord clamps and an extra newborn hat is the extent of it.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:43 AM

I'm thinking because this is your 5th? pregnancy and you've been pregnant with multiples before, your uterus is just growing bigger, faster.

I agree with the others that it's really unlikely that you wouldn't have seen a twin, and that you wouldn't see huge differences between this pregnancy and others. FWIW - I'm pregnant with twins and I measured over 40 weeks at my 25 week visit.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 AM

My MIL had undiagnosed twins 29 yrs ago. She had inconsistent prenatal care though so who knows if it would have been discovered earlier. Its also been suggested that they were right behind each other so the second hb wasn't heard.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

User Tag List