My twins dont look like twins - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not been on here for a long time and first wanted to say hi to all the twin mom's that had there babies last year in July and Aug. of 07. Along with me LOL.
any way my twins are so so different that people don't even know there twins until I tell them they are. We went to Walmart the other day and the lady that worked there asked me how much older my son was than my daughter. I told her they were twins and she told me that they couldn't be LOL.
They are almost 10 months and my son is 25 pound my girl is 17 pounds.
Any one else have twins like this? At birth they were only 1 pound apart.
Shawnii
#2 of 24 Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 PM

My boy/girl twins barely look related, let alone like twins, but their weight difference has only been about 2-3 lbs difference. Ask 2+twins about her babies' weight differences.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 AM

i'm a twin and i look nothing like my brother. in fact i'm 5'7 and he is 6'6 i have brown/black eyes he has ice blue. i have golden brown hair and tan skin, he has jet black hair and pale skin. although i'm the older twin he has always been the bigger twin. i look more like my youngest brother and he looks like my little sister. so it's not too uncommon for twins not to look like siblings. congrats on your twins

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#4 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 01:13 AM

You're not alone. When my twins were babies, they confused everyone. One of them was 2 lbs smaller at birth and looked like a premie, compared to my 6 lb 15 oz boy, who looked robust. They looked like they were about 4 months apart until they were about 8 months.

They're now 6 and just today, someone asked if one of my boys was 1 or 2 years younger than his brother. She was shocked when I told her they were twins. Ironically, the one who was tiny at birth is now 3 inches taller. Plus, one's got blonde hair/blue eyes and the other has olive skin, dark hair and big brown eyes. I think it's great for them that they're so different in looks and personality. It's got to be a challenge to be a twin sometimes.

Congrats on your babies!
#5 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 AM

People often assume my boys are just close in age. They don't look much alike, and one is bigger and has more advanced gross motor skills.

Generally strangers either assume they are a year apart or ask if they are identical.

Trying to get my bearings...
#6 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 AM

You're not alone. When my twins were babies, they confused everyone. One of them was 2 lbs smaller at birth and looked like a premie, compared to my 6 lb 15 oz boy, who looked robust. They looked like they were about 4 months apart until they were about 8 months.

They're now 6 and just today, someone asked if one of my boys was 1 or 2 years younger than his brother. She was shocked when I told her they were twins. Ironically, the one who was tiny at birth is now 3 inches taller. Plus, one's got blonde hair/blue eyes and the other has olive skin, dark hair and big brown eyes. I think it's great for them that they're so different in looks and personality. It's got to be a challenge to be a twin sometimes.

Congrats on your babies!
#7 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 AM

Mine look nothing alike either. Very often people ask how far apart they are (as in months - they generally think there's about a year age difference) and sometimes they ask if they're even related (and then there are the strange people who insist that they're identical)! They started out with a 15 oz. weight difference but have been about 11 lbs. different for some time now (and 2-3 inches in height difference)! Here are some recent pics of them. You can really see the size difference when they're standing side by side.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 AM

Mine are so alike I can't even tell them apart sometimes, but that's not why I'm posting

Shawnii, I've thought about you since you were in the same DDC... I've wondered how you were managing twins with all of your other children!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#9 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM

That is almost the same weight as my girls. 24 pounds and 17 pounds at 10 months. One has dark hair and one has blondish. One has a fat round head and one has a long narrow face. One is quick to laugh and smile and one is very serious and detail oriented.

You can see a video of them here. It is hard to see the weight difference, but I think you can see their features well enough.

http://alessonincompromise.blogspot....-together.html

Or here is a still photo
http://alessonincompromise.blogspot....-together.html

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#10 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM

people do this to me too-- think my twins aren't twins. one is brunette and one is blond and my little boy is taller (only by an inch or so, but still)

i think it is so silly that people do that especially at your babies ages-- if you subtracted 9-10 months from one of them, the other one would be a newborn. i mean come on. even mine who are 22mo- if you took 9-10mo away from one of them, there would be a huge developmental difference between them. i mean i get how people can ask this about 5 or 6yo twins, but babies and toddlers-- they must just not be thinking.

people also don't get the fact that fraternal twins can share as much as 75% of their DNA and as little as 25%-- just like any other siblings. so they can look very similar or very different.

i always waiver between being : about it and just at people's stupidity.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#11 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM

When our boy/girl twins were babies everyone knew they were twins. When they started to walk is when people started to ask. They have always been different in height. Their weight stays close; she is 4 pounds heavier and he is 1 1/2 inches taller. People ask how close they are in age and I tell them they are 12 minutes apart. Then of course most people just look at me with a blank lo on their face and I have to tell them they are twins, and then they get it.
#12 of 24 Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 AM

My twins look nothing alike. He is blond - straight hair, blue-eyed and slight while she is very curly brown with brown eyes.
People, even when they were littler, would say - Oh? are they siblings? and then once I said that they were twins came the stupid question of "oh, are they identical?"

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#13 of 24 Old 05-10-2008, 11:04 AM

They both have reddish hair and denim-colored eyes. That is about it. One has a LOT of hair that is getting really long, the other has hair but it is very short.

Even their voices are different. They are definitely not fraternals like the Olsen twins, who look almost identical!

I love the fact that they look different. We never wanted them to be treated as anything other than separate individuals so it is great. We don't call them "the twins" but, "the boys". We dress them completely differently and always will. Friends gave me matching outfits for fun... and we refuse to dress them alike.

I am an identical who always struggled to maintain my own identity. So, I am very happy that these boys won't have to do that... when I was 6, I hacked off my butt-length hair so I would not look like my twin. I got sick of being called "hey twin" and not my name... just random stuff down the road of life that being an identical took its toll because everyone thought we were one and the same person just because the egg split and we looked and sounded alike.
#14 of 24 Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM

Mine are nothing alike, either. They looked alike for about four days after they were born, although even then they were different sizes-- about 1 1/2 pounds apart at birth. Since then, they've been steadily getting more and more unlike in their looks and in their personalities, too. Right now DD2 is about 21 pounds at 15 months, and DS is 25 pounds.

They're about the same in height, though, so most people seem to clue in that they're twins, as long as they register that they're both my kids. A lot of people think that DS is someone else's child, like I'm babysitting or whatever, because he looks so different from his sisters. DD1 and DD2 look just like me, and DS looks like his daddy.

DD2 is dark-haired and brown-eyed and sallow like me, and DS is pink and blond and blue-eyed. He's stocky and chubby and round, and she's a delicate little thing like a bird. And he's easygoing and slow-moving and smiley and outgoing, while she's quick-witted and intense and serious and very suspicious of anyone she doesn't know. She's a talker, and he's a sit by himself and play with his feet kind of kid. Honestly, they don't even look like siblings, let alone what most people seem to think "twins" ought to look like.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#15 of 24 Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM

SOmeone once told me about my twins,"They don't look alike enough to be neighbors!" I though that was hilarious.

Here are some pics:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ngtrees023.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ngtrees038.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ngtrees025.jpg
#16 of 24 Old 05-12-2008, 02:03 PM

People used to say "Oh, they're identical aren't they?" Uh...no. Blond hair blue eyes, skinny and brown hair, brown eyes, chunky. So that used to annoy me. Now people say "Are they both yours? Oh, how far apart are they?" 24 min. "Oh they don't even look like brothers let alone twins." I try really hard to hide the "OMG not this question again" look on my face but I don't think I suceed most of the time!
#17 of 24 Old 05-12-2008, 04:38 PM

Our twins were only 2 oz different in weight at birth and we've always thought they look quite different from each other. At nearly a year they are 22 and 19 lbs. I get asked all those same questions, but then there are some people who completely baffle me by asking how I tell them apart?! Or they'll insist that they must be identical (even though one's a girl and the other's a boy) LOL.
#18 of 24 Old 05-13-2008, 02:54 AM

I'm so glad you started this thread! I could have written some of the pp. My DD has dark hair and eyes with olive skin and is lean. DS has light reddish brown hair, big blue eyes, very fair skin and is chubby. DH and I try to find similarities in their features.

I was at the store the other day and had DS in the cart and DD in the pouch and a woman was complementing DS and asked how old he was. I answered her in the plural, but it must not have registered because then she said "and how old is the baby", referring to DD. They are 11 months, so if I became pregnant immediately, she would be 2 months old?!

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#19 of 24 Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 AM

It's funny - I have two dd's that are 16 mos apart now 11 and 12 years old. My older dd was tiny and the second bigger. For years people have thought they are twins. When I was once traveling with them when they were younger I actually had a flight attendant make an announcement for people to clear the aisles for me to get through as they had a "mother traveling alone with twins". I felt compelled to go down the aisle saying "they aren't twins! Just close in age!" When they were young, I would get parents of multiples that would come up to me and say "don't worry, they'll get bigger and you'll survive." Moral is, unless they are identical, you can't assume either way.
#20 of 24 Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 AM

People assumed my brother and I were twins all the time when we were kids, but in high school one of his friends thought I was his mom!! We're 20 months apart!
My friend has boy/girl twins (13 yo) and used to get asked if they were identical. Uhhh.... did I mention they are BOY/GIRL TWINS?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#21 of 24 Old 05-14-2008, 01:37 PM

My friends twins look VERY different from each other as well. One is and always has been bigger/heavier, he has red hair-his brother is skinny, still has that *preemie* look today (I cant explain it but sometimes you can tell when a kid was a preemie just by their sort of mouseish appearance-though not all obviously!!), blond hair. Their facial features are very different as well. The funny thing is that although the chubbier one looks a little bit like my daughter, no one would guess that they are actually half siblings (I was her egg donor). They're only 6 weeks apart too.

And then there's their little brother...olive skin, brown eyes, dark brown hair. lol

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#22 of 24 Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM

i dont have twins, my middle 2 children are 12 months and 17days apart
they rese,ble each other exactly like
Quote:
Originally Posted by abomgardner417 View Post
Uh...no. Blond hair blue eyes, skinny and brown hair, brown eyes, chunky.!
when DS2 was 6 months old and DD1 was 18 months old i was asked if they were twins and was looked at like i was a space alien when i said no theres a year between em

since then DS2 has consistantaly been heavier than DD1. ds2 is 2yr old and 37lb dd1 is 3yr old and 32lb

all the piccies are so cute. i would love to have twins. dd1 was a twin but we lost thge twin at 11weeks gestation.

kiz
#23 of 24 Old 05-15-2008, 05:12 PM

I get asked all the time if my three are triplets The twins are 20 months and Caitlyn is 12 months. There is a big size difference between them, but people still think they are triplets.

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#24 of 24 Old 05-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Big difference here too. Jude was 2 lbs bigger than Ava at birth and he is now 8 lbs bigger at 23 mo. He has blonde straight hair and she has brown curly hair. My older two kids, who are 13 mo apart in age are the exact same height/weight so people assume I have 2 sets of twins.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page