How long before labour did you start to feel contractions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is directly related to multiples but this pregnancy has already been very different than my two singleton pregnancies so I thought I would ask here. Long story short:

I've had BH contractions a few times/day for about a month or so now. Last week I had timeable uncomfortable contractions for 2 hours so we went to the hospital. I had a NST which picked up the contractions. I also had an internal which showed my cervix 1cm long and very soft. I was 2cm dilated. I was admitted for monitoring for 3 days but nothing progressed. Another internal 2 days after I was admitted showed no change in my cervix but the contractions/cramping have continued and we're coming up on a week now. I am home now on modified bedrest. The contractions vary and aren't regular but there are lots (anywhere from 2-8/hour) and they are pretty uncomfortable. I have an appointment on Friday and will have another NST and probably an internal. I have no other signs of going into labour. I feel more and more uncomfortable everyday and more nauseous but nothing really "labour-ish".

I'm just not really sure whether this is actually something to worry about or if it's just my bodys way of preparing for labour and this could continue for weeks still. I am 34 weeks tomorrow.

Anyone mind sharing their experience?

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#2 of 12 Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks. I had three really "scary" events prior to 36 weeks but no internals. I was afraid of what we might find in there! I contracted daily from 30 weeks on and had what I would call prodromal labor from 35 weeks on. At 36 and change I was checked and was 2cm. At 37 weeks I was 3cm. I gave birth at 38 weeks 5 days to healthy twins.

I did modified bed rest from 34-36 weeks but still contracted, just less often and less intensely. I did not have a baby engaged though, so that may have contributed to making such little cervical change.
#3 of 12 Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 PM

Something like 10-12 weeks. I started having a few little wimpy ones around 20 weeks or so, but from 28 weeks on had strong ones regularly.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#4 of 12 Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM

I'm 27.5 weeks and I'm having them all day now. Several an hour usually! I admit it's making me a little nervous, even though I carried my singletons to 42 weeks. I think maybe it's time to take the activity level down a notch (for me) - maybe you too?
#5 of 12 Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 PM

30 weeks I started really strong ones. That's when I greatly reduced all activities. I wasn't on bed rest but I didn't leave the house and sat on my sofa all day pretty much. Babies born at almost 38 weeks.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#6 of 12 Old 05-28-2008, 04:35 PM

I am 30 weeks and I have been having them for a long time now. Some come in patterns and I have to stop what I am doing. I think it is very normal and makes sense as this is my fourth pregnancy and there is more to get ready for!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#7 of 12 Old 05-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Many weeks and I was in and out of L&D several times with cervical changes. I was dialated 5 cm for 3 weeks before they arrived!
#8 of 12 Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. It's nice to hear that so many of you were dealing with pretty intense contractions weeks before the actual birth. And being so far dilated! I'm beginning to believe that the birth is still a few weeks away but every once in a while these contractions get pretty crazy and freak me out.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#9 of 12 Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM

I contracted constantly with my twins, from about 14 weeks on. I carried them to 37 weeks, when we had a scheduled section because of my liver disease. Even with my DD1, I contracted constantly from about 24 weeks, and walked around fully effaced and starting to dilate from about 31 weeks.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 12 Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM

I contracted constantly with my twins, from about 14 weeks on. I carried them to 37 weeks, when we had a scheduled section because of my liver disease. Even with my DD1, I contracted constantly from about 24 weeks, and walked around fully effaced and starting to dilate from about 31 weeks. I started labor spontaneously at 39 weeks with her.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 12 Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM

Just take it as easy as you can. I started to have strong contractions at about 26 weeks and then at 32 weeks I was 2 cm dilated. I was put on modified bedrest and never went into labor. I had a c-section b/c baby A was breech and made an appointment for it. They were born big and healthy. My obstetrician told me that sometimes when pg w/ twins once you reach a certain weight/size your body starts to think it is supposed to get ready for birth b/c that is what you would be w/ a singleton. That could be all, but just be careful and take it as easy as you can. Try and get as much help as you can and everything should be fine.

Good luck!
#12 of 12 Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I would post a quick update. I had an appointment today and it looks like these contractions are mostly just for practice - ouch!! My cervix has not changed at all so I am hoping to go a few more weeks. I plan on continuing my modified bedrest and just taking things easy. It can't hurt and frankly I'm exhausted anyways!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page