Twin pregnancy questions for you! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-Would you have KNOWN you were pg with twins at 30-ish weeks if you had not had an ultrasound at that point?
I was just reading that only 50% of twin pregnancies were diagnosed before the birth before the routine use of ultrasound. wow! did the other 50% of moms not suspect?

-Did the babies ever have the hiccups at the same time in utero? Did it happen often? Or never?

-How did your twin pregnancy differ from your singleton pregnancy?

Thank you in advance!
#2 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 07:18 AM

I would have known because I was HUGE at 30 weeks. Much bigger than my singleton pregnancies. But I never would have guessed based on movement alone. And no, my twins never got the hiccups together. In fact, I'm not sure Ben ever had them ever. Claire now, she hiccups constantly!

I had two distinct fetal poles on opposite sides of my body from 35 weeks on, so I for sure could have figured it out then, but for most of my pregnancy I had one twin anterior and one posterior so I couldn't really feel the twin in the back.
#3 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 08:15 AM

At 30 weeks while I was bigger than usual at 38 cm, I would have never suspected. Movements were the same as a singleton. I would've just assumed I was having a bigger baby. At 35 or so weeks I think I would've figured it out because I knew there were 2 heads at that point!

I never felt hiccups before until my twin pregnancy and only one of them would get them.

Definitely the hardest pregnancy and I worked harder during it to nutrition/health-wise.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 AM

I guessed very early on because at 10 weeks i was feeling flutters in very different places at the same time. I had not had those sensations with my singleton. If I had taken the DR.'s word and believed those feelings were merely gas I might not have guessed later on. My boys were transverse throughout the pregnancy. They mirrored each other's movements because they were always lying on top of one another. It was even difficult to find the more anterior twin's head a lot of the time.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#5 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 AM

yes, i would have known.
i would think even of those 50% who ended up with undiagnosed twins suspected it, but it just wasn't technically diagnosed. (doesn't it seem strange to say "diagnosed", like it's a disease!?)
i was huge, mucho morning sickness, more easily fatigued, felt two babies moving, crazy hunger, lots of twin dreams before ultrasound, my singleton was, well, breezy. i gained the same amount of weight with both but they were just totally totally different pregnancies.
that's just me though, i can see how some could miss it...
#6 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Geez, I would have hoped I had known. I was HUGE and felt movement all over the place at the same time. I would have either thought twins, or one baby with a lot of extra arms and legs :

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#7 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 AM

I think it's easy to know and yet ignore that knowing iykwim. Like when you're looking for the keys and you can't see them on the cooker because you never keep them there; you're just not expecting them to be there, so no matter how many times you look you can keep missing them!!!

My uterus was popped out at 6 weeks and I had awful sickness, ( but also had terrible sickness with fourth child and uterus was well out at 8 weeks. I was sure she was twins. Maybe there was another one started out with her....), but I'm much, much bigger this time at 15 weeks than ever before. I look like my equivalent of 6 months now. I also have had dreams and the tiredness has been huge - plus I can feel a big increase in blood flow in my pelvic area moreso than I'd expect for this many weeks - those little red veins have showed up sooner and the general appearance in that area is of much further on.

The effects of not eating and drinking are also far more dramatic. I neeed plenty of food and fluids. lol.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#8 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 AM

I didn't know or suspect at 22 weeks last time when I found out... but by 30 weeks I am fairly certain I would have known. I was measuring larger than full term by then and feeling movement everywhere.

This time around I suspected twins right away because I felt sicker and was bigger just like last time. I found out at 9 weeks.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#9 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 07:42 PM

I think I probably would have because I was so much bigger. There were lots of other symptoms, too, but I think I could have just excused those away. My baby A was way more active than baby B, so it would have been easy to not notice him. But I was just too big for it to be one baby. At the end I was measuring 10 weeks ahead and I looked enormous.

Blessed mama of four
::
#10 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 PM

I definitely would know! I'm almost 30 weeks now and I feel like I got hit by a train, LOL. I am soooooo big and too exhausted to do my daily routine. I would think either it's multiples or the largest baby ever gestated.
#11 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think I would have known.

Although I was slightly bigger with the twins than with my singletons, I could still fit regular maternity clothes just fine.

There was only one episode of pre-bedtime squirming when my abdomen heaved suddenly in two completely opposite directions. It was amazing and might have been enough to think "This can't be just one!" but I couldn't say with certainty. Mostly, one baby was much quieter than the other. Due to their positioning, I would have just thought that two sets of legs moving were just feet and arms of one babe.

I felt "off" even very early on in the pregnancy, but attributed it to other stresses in our lives at that time. It was a relief to find out that what was "wrong with me" was twins!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#12 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 PM

definitely would have at least suspected something at 30 wks ... I was huge!!

Babies had hiccups a lot in utero .... just like they do now!! Adam"s (vertex) hiccups I felt in my butt; while Thomas (breech) I felt higher in my abdomen.

my twin PG kicked my butt from about 6 weeks on. I was EXTREMLY tired the entire way through. I also had a voraceous appetite way early on (even before I knew I was PG), couldn't get enough water, and craved dairy products.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#13 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 11:58 PM

I forgot about the eating! And my weight gain was triple what I normally gain (usual for me with one was 15 pounds and I put on 40 with the twins). I remember telling my MW at the big 20 week appt when we found them that I was eating enough for triplets! Nope, just twins!
#14 of 25 Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 AM

I was the size of full gestation for a singleton at 28 weeks which is the desired growth scale, then went on the grow 2 beautiful girls until almost 37 weeks. My tummy was like a square with 2 girls and I could feel them sitting one on each hip when they got big enough, sometimes it was hard to walk. And my acid levels in this pregnancy were much! higher than my first single pregnancy, I had trouble breathing with all of my internal organs getting crammed up my throat, blahblah, HUGE difference and my first was 11 lbs at birth, WHEW!:

~Patricia~, wife to D, mom to V:, mummy to S/C : , ::. Learning how to be a GREAT mom to my autistic twins and loving it!
#15 of 25 Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 AM

I think that the idea that 50% were un-diagnosed before routine ultrasounds as much more to do with doctors not being able to tell and not listening to women than mothers not suspecting it.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#16 of 25 Old 06-09-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama View Post
I definitely would know! I'm almost 30 weeks now and I feel like I got hit by a train, LOL. I am soooooo big and too exhausted to do my daily routine. I would think either it's multiples or the largest baby ever gestated.

My thoughts exactly!

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#17 of 25 Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 AM

I was really sick from week 6 to 26 (threw up every night, at least once) and asked my OB about it at the 12 weeks appt. His answer "Well, every pregnancy is different." Um, yeah. You're telling me!

I think I would have known (I think I even suspected it back at 12 weeks), especially since i had had a singleton pregnancy and this was so different (and I was so big).

Good luck -- keep us posted if you have any multiple news!
#18 of 25 Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 AM

I said above I would have never suspected at 30+ weeks. But I did suspect earlier on because I could feel my uterus so early. If I'd seen only 1 baby in an U/S at 12 weeks I would've never suspected 2 later.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#19 of 25 Old 06-10-2008, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I instintively knew at conception that there was more than one. There are twins on all four sides (parents) so we were doomed from the beginning. In fact, when the tech at our 8 week ultrasound said there were two heartbeats, my response was "only two?" I thought for sure we were having triplets! My poor DH said "What?!" and couldn't believe that I was right about multiples.

I would have known at 30 weeks, even though this was my first pregnancy I am very in tune with my body (like I said, I felt myself get pregnant) and I felt movement at polar ends even though they were transverse and facing each other by the end.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#20 of 25 Old 06-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Lol, I feel like I'm having twins, if I hadnt had an ultrasound, I'd be SURE I was having more than one, but I did, so instead, I think I'm not but I still think I am but...AHHHHH. I know the chances of a missed twin are almost non-existant (on US at 20 weeks) but still...something is off. So, provided I'm not, I'd be in the category of feeling like I was when I wasnt?

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#21 of 25 Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM

I think the undiagnosed twins were from mamas who suspected or maybe firstime moms? I know I suspected at 8 weeks, and by 12 weeks was sure. I even told people that I thought I was having twins I sounded crazy, but I was right! I cannot imagine not knowing by 30 weeks, I could clearly feel two heads (baby B was breech)
#22 of 25 Old 06-11-2008, 02:40 PM

Well, I absolutely did not suspect at 30 wks. It was at exactly 30 wks that my m/w palpated 2 babies, MUCH to my horror (er, surprise). I confirmed it by u/s at 32 wks. I was not bigger than I had been with my singleton, although after 30 wks I grew a lot more. I was feeling a lot of movement, but I just thought it was a very active baby. I really didn't have a lot of differences from my singleton pg until the last few weeks, and even then I was mainly just bigger. My singleton was 9-2, born at 39 wks. My twins were born at 39 wks, 5 days and weighed 7-4 & 7-6.

ETA: I'm sure a lot of it has to do with positioning of the babies. I could clearly feel baby A's head like a shelf sticking out from my lower gut, lol. I could actually hold his head in my hand. Baby B was neatly tucked behind, and quite difficult to feel. I am pg again now & dh said last night that it must be a singleton because last time he felt that whenever he touched my belly anyplace, there was always a foot or elbow sticking out.
#23 of 25 Old 06-11-2008, 06:18 PM

I would have known even know they were my first. I felt TONS of movement and yes, they both got hiccups at the same time - quite frequently actually. I got more hiccups at the same time with my identicals than with fraternals. I knew the second time by about 18 weeks based on movement. I would not have needed an ultrasound to confirm they were two.

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#24 of 25 Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 PM

No, I didn't know at 30 wks. Mostly, I think, b/c it was my first preg. and I had no idea what was normal--in terms of size, movement, sickness, etc.

Actually hiccups were the way we finally decided there were probably two and we should get the u/s (at 31 wks.) My mw had a clear heartbeat up under my rib on the right side and then we felt hiccups way down near my left hip--either it was two or one barrel-chested little kid!

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#25 of 25 Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Yeah, that kind of weirded me out a little too. I can feel the baby on my right side, ALWAYS on my right side, his little body sticks out a lot right there and after 4 babies, I'm good at figuring out position, lol. Well, at my last MW appt they got the heartbeat on the opposite side where I dont feel anything. It was odd. This whole pregnancy is odd! At least my belly shrunk a bit-I think he flipped or something, lol

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page