Water broke- not much happening... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my water broke 24 hours ago now. We are planning to stay home. I truely expected that we would be done by now! I am 36 weeks along and having an occasionaly gush every few hours so I know it has not sealed over. My 1 st 2 births my water didnt break until I was pushing. So this is new to me. I am hoping soon as I realize there is a risk for infex. I am watching for fever, staying home and doing the 'pelvic protocol'- keeping clean and everything out of the vagina. Has anyone had ruptured membranes for an extended time before birth- how long any problems etc??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 PM

I had ROM for 48h before labor started with my 4th child. Other than the fact that I was going insane, thinking "Okay, shouldn't I be DONE now?!?!?!?" and the fact that my mom and my bff were calling every 30 minutes for a report, everything was fine. My mw wasn't concerned about infection -- I only had one vaginal check in that time. Nothing in, took emergen-C, tried to be very *clean* etc.

When I finally did start labor, it was VERY short: 90 minutes from the time it started to hurt til she was out!

Good luck!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 06-15-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I like the sound of the birth 90 minutes sounds perfect !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I had ROM for 48h before labor started with my 4th child. Other than the fact that I was going insane, thinking "Okay, shouldn't I be DONE now?!?!?!?" and the fact that my mom and my bff were calling every 30 minutes for a report, everything was fine. My mw wasn't concerned about infection -- I only had one vaginal check in that time. Nothing in, took emergen-C, tried to be very *clean* etc.

When I finally did start labor, it was VERY short: 90 minutes from the time it started to hurt til she was out!

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 AM

With my first (singleton), my water broke on Sunday morning about 7am, and I delivered Tues afternoon at 2:40pm. I ended up in the hospital as NO labor ever started, so I got pitocin, but was still able to deliver w/o an epidural, or other interference. The perinatologist said at 72 hours, there is some chance for cerebral palsy, but I have since learned that the current research is showing that CP is a brain accident that occurs in-utero. The peri I consulted w/my twin pregnancy said this was true. So..... it sounds like you know what you're doing as far as keeping clean, etc. Just hope things get going for you soon. My water broke at about 7am w/my twins, and I didn't deliver until 8pm that nite (and 11pm). My current MW said studies have shown that 70 minutes (I think) of the breast pump has the same effect as pitocin. I was thinking of trying that, as I didn't want to go to the hospital again, but it sounded a bit torturous I did do black and blue cohosh to no avail w/my first. Good luck to you, I know you'll be seeing your babies soon, and how exciting!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 AM

My only labour where the water broke before contractions started was 40 minutes (once they finally began!!!)

I went for a walk and drank some pineapple juice, ( they say it should be the fresh fruit for the enzymes, but.....) anyway, when I got home I lay down with no contractions at all and as soon as my body relaxed I went wham into every minute transition style HUGE ones. It was awesome. Really an incredible experience. I was laughing in between and running arond the house to get things ready, ( we went to hospital).

I think the worry of hospital intervention can really get in the way of letting go iykwim. That was what seemed to be my case, but I'd try fresh pineapple/ carton juice again for sure. Also, caulophyllum homeopathically might be useful if you've got it.

Shame there's no patience pill though ,)

Hope it all goes quick, easy and enjoyable for you.

Maybe try some fresh air if you feel like it or go to sleep and make the most of your rest time. Or clean, whatever takes your fancy right now!!!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM

When my water broke, my contractions started about 2 1/2 hours later. After my DS was born, it was about 1 hour before contracions started for the second twin, my DD. I haven't done too much reading on this, but my sister knows a lady who went a week after her water broke before labor started. You sound like you are well educated about this type of situation and doing what you need to do. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM

Just wondering if there is any news? Fingers crossed for a safe birth and healthy babes!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately no news. Its been 48 hours now. I am feeling a bit more crampy tonight. I pumped for 45 minutes today took tons of evening primrose oil and ate mexican for dinner... (Please babies come out!!!) Thanks for asking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisLane View Post
Just wondering if there is any news? Fingers crossed for a safe birth and healthy babes!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 PM

I'll share some advice that I wish I'd taken: don't mess with your body too much. After my water broke, for the first 24h, I did castor oil, I didn't eat (to induce labor), I pumped like crazy, I took a bunch of homeopathics. And, like I said, labor didn't start for another 24h after that. In retrospect, I wish I'd just trusted my body to work on its own schedule -- particularly after I'd already had a spontaneous labor 2 years before; I knew my body could do it!

I went into labor about an hour after having a convo with my mw about how I still felt comfortable having a hb, and I needed her to know that. I asserted my feelings about the... normalness, and safety, of birth, and then I went into labor.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 AM

Id just say-keep up and moving, with the exception of sleeping times of course I mean, dont overdo it either, but when I had PROM, thats what seemed to get things going. I think if I went to bed that night, I wouldnt have gone into labor until I start being active the next day (but I was too excited to sleep, lol). I'd also try doing some occasional squats to see if you can encourage baby's head to get real low and maybe kick start things that way. Good luck!!!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM

I did need to know that my DD1 was doing ok before I really started labor. she was w/ my sil, and was freaked out about me birthing the twins (she's 3 1/2). I was going to have her come back home as nothing was happening and I missed her, but she told my sil that she was having fun and didn't want to go home. I jumped to 8 in dilation instantly! anything holding you back? just a thought.....
Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Hopefully no news is good news?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
I did need to know that my DD1 was doing ok before I really started labor. she was w/ my sil, and was freaked out about me birthing the twins (she's 3 1/2). I was going to have her come back home as nothing was happening and I missed her, but she told my sil that she was having fun and didn't want to go home. I jumped to 8 in dilation instantly! anything holding you back? just a thought.....
I dont think anything is holding me back. Perhaps my son's preschool which finishes friday. Maybe I want him to be able to finish? I thought it was that I needed to change the shower curtains (LOL) to PVC free ones (after I read an article about them.) So I changed them... still no babies.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
Id just say-keep up and moving, with the exception of sleeping times of course I mean, dont overdo it either, but when I had PROM, thats what seemed to get things going. I think if I went to bed that night, I wouldnt have gone into labor until I start being active the next day (but I was too excited to sleep, lol). I'd also try doing some occasional squats to see if you can encourage baby's head to get real low and maybe kick start things that way. Good luck!!!

I definitely see a huge difference in frequency and intensity of contractions when I am super active. Especially in the eve getting cleaned up after dinner and kids in bed etc.. But once I go to bed, it all stops so I know its not *true * labor. The first night I did try to stay up and lasted till midnight. Then was out of my mind exhausted the next day. I feel so physically drained from this pregnancy its unreal. My first 2 pregnancies (singletons) I was still walking and swimming every day until they were born. This time. Walking up the stairs is an effort. It does make me wonder how I will cope with labor being so weak and tired. I know adrenaline helps but it does worry me a bit as my 1st 2 labors were strong and smooth...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I'll share some advice that I wish I'd taken: don't mess with your body too much. After my water broke, for the first 24h, I did castor oil, I didn't eat (to induce labor), I pumped like crazy, I took a bunch of homeopathics. And, like I said, labor didn't start for another 24h after that. In retrospect, I wish I'd just trusted my body to work on its own schedule -- particularly after I'd already had a spontaneous labor 2 years before; I knew my body could do it!

I went into labor about an hour after having a convo with my mw about how I still felt comfortable having a hb, and I needed her to know that. I asserted my feelings about the... normalness, and safety, of birth, and then I went into labor.
I had a similiar conversation with my MW today. She told me her thoughts were induced labors (even if naturally induced) increase my need to intervention. My chance for staying home declines from 96% to 83%... (or something like that...

SO, I have laid off on trying to intervene... I am still saking EPO- much less though and I am not pumping anymore... made my nipples hurt and I want to nurse these babies!!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM

Oh cool, yeah, I was going to suggest EPO-that is what makes me able to dilate. I know that sounds wierd but its true....if I dont take it, my cervix swells and nothing happens.

My 3rd labor was like what you're describing, except no PROM. If I lay down or anything, the contractions went away, but I was still dilating while they were happening, go fig. They broke my water at 9cm at my request (Id been stuck for hours and I didnt want to have her in the middle of the night, lol) and still nothing changed for a long time. And then just out of the blue, I had this INTENSE contraction, like instant transition, I felt the baby slide down a good ways and I lost a LOT more water. Maybe baby just needs to get into the right spot and drop down like that. I mean, I know you arnt at 9cms or something, but still, it didnt feel like labor until she moved down like that and then BAM she was born 10 minutes later.

Come on baby, move down!!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:49 PM

Sending labor vibes your way....

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:39 AM

labor vibes to you for happy birthing!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the labor vibes and the encouragement! I am having strong CX again this am, but very irregular and infrequent. We scheduled a biophysical profile for thurs am. I am hoping I will be canceling the apt because they are here! It has been ~85 hours now... the waiting is the hardest part. Oh another naseauting cx right now. Keep em coming!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM

::
Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM

::

That's all the good labor energy I could find! Good luck today.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Come on babies, you know you want some booby milk....you know you do....

Old 06-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Sending labor vibes your way............come on babies!!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Just praying all is well for likeniceweather - did I miss any announcement?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:31 PM

I havent seen one...hoping she's just really busy with newbie twins?

Old 06-21-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

No babies. It has been one week now since my membranes ruptured... A true test of my patience. For sure. I had a bio physical profile, both babies were 8/8 so they are fine. I dont have any signs of an infection, and baby heart rate checks are fine. I feel very very close, but am starting to feel like it will never happen. 37 weeks tommorow. Fell a lot of pressure and have contractions that are very intense, they just start and stop like the wind. I am praying for babies. I think I will actually get more sleep waking up every hour to feed them than every 6-11 minutes for contractions through the nights... Maybe I am clueless but I am getting exhausted living like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
I havent seen one...hoping she's just really busy with newbie twins?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:26 PM

ohmygosh, c'mon babies!!!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 PM

Nope, I'm for sure getting better sleep now. Not more, just better! I'm so proud of you for hanging in there!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:25 AM

I dont have twins, but with all of my babies I've slept better after they were born. Especially when they were jaundice My last one had jaundice for 12 TWELVE weeks (her levels were safe the entire time, we just opted to let it pass on its own since she was eating and gaining weight fine). It was like a new baby once it passed, getting 12 weeks of sleep was lovely!

I really really hope for your sake they decide to make their enterance soon and that you get an easy labor for all this pre-labor-stuff! You just make for comfy livin is all...

Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 AM

HUGE HUGS to you and prayers for a peaceful birth and babymooning very, very soon.

xxxxxxxx

User Tag List