Flying Solo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-19-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be on my own this weekend for the first time with my 2 yo daughter and 3 mo. old twins. I'm a little nervous about how naps and bedtime are going to work. My DH works 12 hr. shifts, so he won't see the kids at all, and my godsend of a mother, who has been with me when DH isn't, is going out of town. Any advice for a nervous newbie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Good Luck!

Do they all go to bed around the same time? When I was alone with my 3 I would take them all in the room at the same time and nurse my twins to sleep and my 2 yr old would sleep in a bed i made on the floor.
#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM

I prefer to err on the side of caution, and call in the troops to help I am not shy about asking my friends for help with the twins, and my friends have told me how glad they are that I asked. I will never profess to be a "supermom" who can handle a lot of stress. I love and adore my children, but I sure get stressed out when my 3 1/2 year old won't sleep, is cranky as a result, and getting into mischief. Let alone if the twins decide their tummy's hurt
Not sure if help is an option, but I would ask for it if at all possible. Good luck! Ultimately, help or no help, you'll get through it
#4 of 7 Old 06-20-2008, 03:19 AM

no advice, but I want to know how it goes. I'm getting antsy about going back to work, since I will be leaving my 2 year old, and the twins, who will be just shy of 3 months, at that point. I'm only working 2 days/ week, but I know how NUTS it is around here, when BOTH of us are home. I'm nervous about the whole routine, feeding, bathing, sleeping, etc.

DK

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#5 of 7 Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

They do all go to bed around the same time. I think I will try nursing the twins in my daughter's room while she's settling down for nap and night, which usually takes about an hour anyway. And I did call for some backup today. So, I'll have a little help. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice and support!
#6 of 7 Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 AM

No advice, just subbing. :-)

My husband leaves Sunday afternoon for a business trip, leaving me alone until Friday with the kids. Well, mostly alone -- my parents are visiting, but need to leave to head home Monday afternoon at the latest. I have a friend who can hang out with us some on Tuesday, but after that it's all me unless I can get over myself and ask a neighbor for some help later on in the week.
#7 of 7 Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in the same boat. My DH just started a new job - first time he's found work since the twins were really, really little. So it's the really first time I am alone with them by myself until bed time. It's really hard and naps are a challenge. What I find is that if I put the most tired one to sleep in the sling, transfer him to his bed and then put the other one to sleep in the sling and transfer him to his bed, I get about an hour to myself. (depending on how tired they are and how long it takes them to settle). When they were infants I used to lie on the couch with both of them on my chest and kick my feet off the bottom of the couch and rock them to sleep that way. It took about two days for me to figure out how to move my lower body without moving the top of my body to get up to put them in their cribs (I would have left them on my but I needed some space). Try that. If you can, try putting your eldest to sleep first and then deal with the babies - it might work out easier that way depending on your schedule.

Good luck.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page