Pregnant mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is everyone doing? It is so exciting for me to see all of the recent births here. Who else is still pregnant?

I'm 29 weeks this week and I'm huge of course. I've gained about 50 lbs and fundal height passed 40cm a couple of weeks ago. Baby A is breech and Baby B is vertex... been that way for almost a month now. I can tell by palpating and where I feel movement/hiccups. I am hot and sweaty when I leave the house and am starting to swell a little bit. Hopefully the next 10-11 weeks fly by!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#2 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM

I'm still here! Expecting two boys in about 21 weeks - measuring 25 weeks and gained 20 pounds so far. I'm trying to eat more, but there isn't a lot of extra room in the belly now. I actually lost 5 pounds a first trimester because I was still nursing DD (14 months) and couldn't get enough calories. She recently weaned (wanted nothing to do with empty boobies ), so I have been gaining about 2-3 pounds per week.

We finally have hot weather (90+ is hot for us!) and we can't go swimming because DS burst his eardrum 3 das ago. And the water feels so good right now! Oh well, I will make it to the gym a few times this week to swim (that's all I keep the membership for) without the kids.

I'm excited to read all the birth stories too, encourages me! I go to Kaiser up here and all the docs/MW are very positive about a natural birth with twins. Plus the hospital I will go to is very natural birth, BF, baby-friendly. I had DD there last year with a fantastic experience.

The birth I am excited for, the chaos after is what make me nervous!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#3 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Hi, amazing women! Sounds like things are going well - great job with your weight gain!!

I'm 26w now, and like MamaChicken said, it's now HOT in the PNW. whew. I find that I have only about 3 hours a day of "active" time. I'm not really napping too much in the other times, but my body aches, and I find myself physically and mentally exhausted so quickly. I have a lot of BH when I'm on my feet for even a short time, even swimming set them off last week. I guess I need more rest!

Yesterday was a lot of fun because the boys were active from about 7am - all day long!

I'm planning a homebirth now, which is amazing. I never even looked into it because I assumed no one would take me on. After dealing with MFM in 2 different hospitals though, I went out to look and was surprised that 2 midwife teams (I only interviewed 2) both said they'd work with me. MFM was insisting that I must have a c-section, and now I'm going to have a peaceful vaginal birth - at home.

My weight gain has been less than I wanted - I've gained about 30#. I had a major problem with my gallbladder from 12-21 weeks, and it really reduced my calorie intake. I'm trying to just eat all day long now.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#4 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 PM

Heather, that is an amazing weight gain! Great job, mama. Maybe you will have two 9 lbers this time! I am kind of jealous I'm not having twins again this time.

Blessed mama of four
::
#5 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 07:11 PM

It sounds like everyone is doing well so far!

I'm 28 weeks with boy/girl/girl triplets and starting to get really uncomfortable. My fundal height hasn't changed much from 38cm a few weeks ago, but I'm definitely getting wider. I'm on bedrest due to my cervix beginning to shorten (but it's still 3.5cm!) but I really can't do much anyway. I have contractions if I walk around too much and I'm always exhausted, so I spend my days in bed or in the recliner letting DP take care of me. I've only gained a little under 20 pounds, but I had plenty of extra weight already and the babies have all measured above average size at all the growth checks, so I'm not concerned. They were vertex/transverse/transverse most of the pregnancy, but my vertex boy flipped breech last week! I'm glad they still have room to move around in there...feeling these babes move is the best part of pregnancy.
#6 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM

Everyone sounds like they are doing great. It does make me a little sad that I am only having one this time, but in the end I guess i wouldn't really want to relive my last pg. Each one has been so different. I find that have have NO energy these days. At only 12 weeks I feel like I should have more energy, but I just barely make it through the day. I am sure nursing the twins and trying to meet the needs of three kids under 5 might have something to do with it. Never mind the heat. Good luck to all of the summer birthing mamas.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#7 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Wow, a lot of us in the PNW. Today's heat here is killing me! I just posted in response to Jude's post about tips to those of us about to deliver, but I'll add here too...
I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and going to be induced due to IUGR babies and now high blood pressure. I'm natural birth minded, but feeling this route is the best for us all. I'm hoping that induction doesn't mean lots of other interventions and have had a pretty clear relationship with my OB over all this. It will be interesting to compare this experience with my natural childbirth a couple of years ago, but then again I know all birth experiences are different.
I'm thrilled we made it to 37 weeks and am hoping all those growth scans were wrong and these babies are bigger than we think. I've gained 50+ pounds, but both babies have grown very slowly. I'll post my birth story when I get a chance. Good luck to all of you other pregnant mamas.
#8 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 AM

Well, according to family, i'm 15 days overdue. :According to my dates, i'll be 37w on Wed! Family thought i'd FOR SURE be having the boys mid June, even though my due date isn't until July 24th. :

Twin mama stats:

36w5d
due July 24 (40+1)
gained 32 pounds
fundal height 44cm
boys estimated at being 7-8 pounds each
both are head down

So far this pregnancy has had no complications (unless you count the fact that I STILL have morning sickness!). I'm on modified bedrest this week because my blood pressure shot up 20 points in a week (it's NEVER been high all pregnancy), but both I and my midwife KNOW it's from stress (BS family issues) and are just keeping an eye on it, especially since i've had no blood pressure issues all pregnancy and have no signs of it being anything other than stress (no excessive swelling, etc). Other than that, the three of us have been great. It's been BLAZING hot here (they don't call it Hotlanta for nothing), but i've been staying inside in the air conditioning as much as possible. I'm looking forward to the rest of my pregnancy and REALLY looking forward to having my homebirth. I'm in no rush to be done being pregnant right now (but ask me again in a week! ) and really wouldn't mind if the boys decided not to come until the beginning of August!

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#9 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 01:31 PM

I am 35 weeks tomorrow. Little girl is head down and little boy is breech! They are both about 4ish pounds, so they still have some growing to do! I don't think that they will be that big though. I have had some severe edema, but it seems to be getting under control with protien, and my hemoglobin was at a 9 last week...so that needs to come WAY up so I can still birth at home! Other then that, things are moving right along!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#10 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM

nak but wanted to say my hemo was 9 and didnt have issues at homebirth
#11 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM

14 weeks here. I'm hoping my morning sickness will go away soon but who knows. I'm looking forward to feeling movement and finding out the sexes.

All you mamas sound like you are doing well. Hang in there you guys are getting close to getting to hold your bundles!

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#12 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM

18 weeks with b/g - couldn't possibly tell you how low my weight gain is - I'm almost booking myself in for a c section at 24 weeks I feel so unpositive about my prospects.

I am feeling lots of lovely movement though and am pretty housebound and spend most of my days sitting/lying down, (since much activity sets of cntx), so hopefully that will make whatever I'm able to eat go further...

I'm having a very definite grieving phase for all manner of things atm, so also praying will pick up a bit as the weeks go by...

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#13 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Wow - so many of us! I'm at about 23 wks now and, thankfully, the morning sickness subsided at week 18 so I'm enjoying eating again. I'm up around 14 lbs. so far, which I think is pretty good since I was about 10-15 lbs. overweight to begin with. I'm having a boy and a girl and they are getting more and more active everyday. I just finished up my last Hypnobirthing class last week and am practicing that dilligently to try and keep positive and calm about my natural-hospital-VBAC-with-twins! I'm focusing as much as possible on keeping these two vertex (they've been that way from the beginning, but now that they're moving so much I'm expecting that may change by the time I have another u/s). I'm still very comfortable and only just beginning to get a little bit of hip pain at night.

Best of luck to everyone and happy gestating!

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#14 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 PM

14 weeks here as well! Annoyed that after a few weeks of "normal" my morning sickness seems to be back. Ugh, ugh.

I have another appointment on Wednesday and the big ultrasound scheduled for August. For now we're just chugging along!
#15 of 29 Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 AM

I am 32w with b/g twins. Baby boy is vertex, baby girl is transverse, though today her head was about even with my belly button and her feet in my ribs. We were saddened to find out she has a congenital heart defect and will require surgery immediately after birth . I had to change from a midwife I liked a lot to a peri at a different clinic, delivering at a different hospital to make sure we're as close as possible to Childrens. The peri practice has 15 doctors, and all the ones I've met so far (I see a different one every week) are pushing a c-sec. If it's medically necessary, I will not argue, but I was told by the midwife (and the ob in that practice) that as long as baby A is vertex, a vaginal delivery is possible. When we saw the cardiologist, she volunteered (I didn't ask) that baby girl would be strong enough to tolerate labor/delivery, and that there would be no problem trying for a vaginal delivery if that was my wish. One of the nurses told me not to waste my breath by discussing my preferences now. She said that we have no idea who I'll actually see when in labor, and to wait until then, otherwise i might get a "note" in my chart advising that I could be "difficult to work with." Nice, huh??????

the good news is that atm, they're both getting big and I'm feeling pretty well. A bit tired, and lots of indigestion, but otherwise happy.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#16 of 29 Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 AM

39 weeks and holding steady . . . I think it does feel like longer because everybody expects you to go early. So I feel like I've been overdue for weeks even though my real due date is still a week away. I actually feel better than I did a few weeks ago--I've been able to exercise more lately and the weather has been a bit cooler. (The only thing that's really bad is my stomach skin. Ay yi yi. It hurts just to brush it and most of my clothes make it itch like crazy.) And the babies are both vertex now! So all systems are go, come on babies!:
#17 of 29 Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknees View Post
When we saw the cardiologist, she volunteered (I didn't ask) that baby girl would be strong enough to tolerate labor/delivery, and that there would be no problem trying for a vaginal delivery if that was my wish. One of the nurses told me not to waste my breath by discussing my preferences now. She said that we have no idea who I'll actually see when in labor, and to wait until then, otherwise i might get a "note" in my chart advising that I could be "difficult to work with." Nice, huh??????
Yay to the cardiologist! I think I'm going to be a mama with that 'note' written within my notes already. LOL. oh well.

I hope all goes well for all you mamas about to birth.
xxx

#18 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm here! On Friday, I'll complete 37 weeks. Here are my stats:

36w5d
EDD July 25
gained 50 pounds
expecting MZ boys
monochorionic/diamniotic twins
weight estimates at 35 weeks were: A- 6 lb, 6 oz; B- 7 lb, 5 oz
last news on presentation: A vertex, B breech/transverse

I have a biophysical profile Thursday afternoon, so I'll know more about position then. (I've done some inversions in hopes of turning baby B, and there's been some weirdness with movement & hiccup action, so I'm not sure what's going on at the moment....)

I had a bad scare just over a week ago, involving an ER run and transfer to a trauma station + overnight stay, but that was because I stabbed myself in the belly with a sharp knife (it slipped when I was trying to cut the plastic tab on a pint of Ben & Jerry's....I know, I know.) It was up in the air for awhile, and very scary, but in the end things were fine. I have a wound and that is a big drag, but the contractions seemed related to stress hormones and they did calm down after a day. The boys seem settled in again and other than the pain of the wound (especially when they kick & push RIGHT under it), I am okay.

I am realizing that I feel more informed about twin pregnancy, risks related to mono/di status, and potential issues during labor, rather than feeling informed about actual labor & birth. (Even though I've been through it before.) Now that we're on or nearing the "home stretch," I sort of have this blank feeling. And that makes me nervous. Like, what am I going to do? Will I know what's happening? How will I cope? Will my Hypnobabies training "work"? And what will I actually DO with that while in the birthing process?

I'm feeling a little tripped out.
#19 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSarah View Post
I am 35 weeks tomorrow. Little is head down and little boy is breech! They are both about 4ish pounds, so they still have some growing to do! I don't think that they will be that big though. I have had some severe edema, but it seems to be getting under control with protien, and my hemoglobin was at a 9 last week...so that needs to come WAY up so I can still birth at home! Other then that, things are moving right along!
Sarah, I just wanted to say that my iron was very low (8.5) and I got it up to 12.5 within a month. I doubled up on the Floradix (took a whole capful) and also took some liquid chlorophyll and dessicated liver tablets. You can get it up! Like intertwined said, you may have no issues at birth, but it is going to make for a hard recovery if you go into it with your iron already low. Anyway, just wanted to let you know how I got my iron up.

Blessed mama of four
#20 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
you may have no issues at birth, but it is going to make for a hard recovery if you go into it with your iron already low. Anyway, just wanted to let you know how I got my iron up.

That is what I have been thinking, that I need to do what I can to get my levels up now (though I'm 36+ weeks, will complete 37 weeks on Friday, so I'm just hoping I have enough time to make a difference.) I posted in the recent "iron/search" thread but I was wondering how quickly one can expect to see a boost in the body's levels if you are taking a well-absorbed supplement as well as continuing to eat iron-rich foods?

I'm guessing the results begin to show right away....maybe it's typical to do the bloodwork a month later to check, but it shouldn't really take any time for the levels to begin to climb if the body is taking it in, right? (I'm trying to tell myself that anything I can do now will help.)

I am taking the multi-vitamin food supplement that I took during my first pregnancy (always had excellent iron levels) but that I haven't tolerated this time because of the nausea and then reflux (I always have pills & aftertaste issues, anyway. I guess I've indulged my wimpiness a little too long this time....) I also am taking Floradix (as of today) and even though I still can "taste" it and it's not pleasant for me, I think I can handle it without vomiting.

I think ferrous fumarate and ferrous gluconate? (But I'm not looking them up, so I may be wrong....)
#21 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Keep up the Floradix and take a whole capful instead of the half they say. My midwife says it takes about 10 days for the levels to really be noticably different. Do you eat meat? I would eat read meat daily, do the Floradix and make sure you are getting vitamin C as well. You can do it!

Blessed mama of four
#22 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM

I should say that I had a very uncomplicated home birth with VERY minimal bleeding. I had three super huge gushes with the birth of the placenta and then nada. I was done with PP bleeding at 6 days and have just had a touch of spotting on and off. So my iron levels never came into play. I was a 9.2 I think?
#23 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Amy, I'm sure everything you take in will make a difference no matter how much longer/ shorter you've got to go, so stay strong - it will benefit you to be building levels up for after the birth too. I never had iron picked up as a problem before and was wondering if it is natural in a twin/ multiplepreg for levels to be even lower anyway...will ask an alternative midwife about that if I get a chance.

Also, ER incident, aaagh. It's funny when you realise you can't squeeze through a space with your bump anymore, but not when spacial awareness ends up with a knife wound!!! HUGS for a continuing quick recovery. If you do homeopathy some aconite would maybe settle you too? Plus arnica is my best homeopathic friend!!!

#24 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM

My midwife did say that it is normal for iron levels to be lower in twin pregnancies. But we should still try to get them up.

Blessed mama of four
#25 of 29 Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I mix my Floradix in grape jiuce so I can't taste or smell it.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#26 of 29 Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Hi twin mamas!!!!!

I'm just about 33 weeks right now with fraternal girls I am carrying for friends of mine. I'm measuring 47 weeks, yikes!!! Things are going really well, no real issues at all. Baby A is vertex and 4lbs, Baby B is footling breech (with her feet in my pelvis next to A's face) and is smaller at 3lbs 8oz. I'm hoping to beef them up a little more in the next few weeks. They were both measuring in higher percentiles a few weeks back, and now A has dropped to the 50th and B to the 15th. My OB isn't too worried about it, though. My next u/s is at 35 weeks to check on growth. And we're doing NSTs weekly now.

I have been contracting like mad, but nothing that makes me think I'm going into PTL...just a very irritable uterus probably due to its size. My cervix is still long and closed. I carried my singletons to 42 weeks, so I'm pretty confident that I can carry these girls to 36w+.

I am sooooooooo uncomfortable though. Hot and tired and so sore all the time. I can't sleep very well. I am snippy with my kids (ages 6 and 3) and I have to farm them out to grandmas/sitters a lot, which is tough. But the end is getting closer, so I'm hanging in there!
#27 of 29 Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 PM

Wow, there are a lot of us! Good luck to those who are close to delivery!!

I'm at 24w, 4d. I feel good - starting to get a little tired but not too bad. I don't think I'm having contractions... sometimes my uterus feels really tight but it doesn't hurt, doesn't contract/relax/contract/relax... even so I get some water and lay down more when it feels tight.

I've got boy/girl twins. Girl is baby A - head down. Boy is baby B - butt down. Both have their backs facing out. Both look like good sizes. I'm measuring 27 weeks. Have gained about 20-25 lbs so far. Really sick of the eating... but I'm continuing to eat healthy - lots of protein, fruit and veggies.

Hang in there everyone!!
#28 of 29 Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Not pg here, but my girls just turned one and I'm doing a bit of reminiscing.

Way to go to all of you!!!

I love floradix and miss swigging it from the bottle. Other than that, I don't miss a thing about being pg with two babes!

Shukr- hang in there. You sound a lot like I felt. Wish I could offer more. It is hard. Being pregnant with twins was harder than caring for twins, imo. (And I had no health issues, gained 100+ pounds, and gave birth to 15+ pounds of baby at 41 weeks. But it was tiring!)

::Enjoy your births, your babies, and your growing families.::

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#29 of 29 Old 07-04-2008, 05:05 AM

Thank you Mumm :

I think I need the floradix fix!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page