Too many BH contractions?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 31 wks pg w/twins, and I have been having BH contrax all day today! I have had them on and off in the past, and when I talked to my m/w about it, she said that I should be concerned if they are 'regular' as that can be a sign of preterm labor- even if they aren't painful. I just can't tell if they are 'regular'- it feels like I have been having one giant contraction all day! Every time I stand up, bend over, etc., my abdomen is tight and uncomfortable. No cramping, just discomfort. I know that if I call my m/w office, they will just say to come in to OB triage (we are birthing at the hospital) because it's better to be safe than sorry, but that's not a trip I really want to make unnecessarily.
So, should I be concerned about ptl?? How many BH are too many??

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#2 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM

That is how it was for me! Somedays it felt like my uterus was permanently as hard as a rock. I would get BH from rolling over, standing up, walking across the room, when I had to pee, etc. Just make sure you are drinking at least a gallon of water a day and rest whenever you need to. I made it to 40 weeks 1 day even though I had BH regularly my whole 3rd trimester. Just make sure you rest alot. I probably laid down every for a bit every 30 minutes or so towards the end.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 PM

I have twins. Excuse me, but I'll be blunt: Go to OB Triage ASAP!

That many BH is abnormal, as I'm sure you know, and requires evaluation. If it is PTL, medication can sometimes stop the contractions if given in time. I'm sure you will really regret not having acted sooner if you are in preterm labor and have to have your children in NICU, as you undoubtedly would at 31 weeks.

I had many, many contractions that were ineffective. My high-risk OB group had me go to L&D six times before I actually delivered because my contractions were so unusally regular, 5 minutes apart, etc. At one point, they were 2 minutes apart for hours on end, very regular, but not effective contractions.

Based on this highly unusual preterm contractions, they decided to deliver the babies immediately once I had very, very mild, almost clinically insignificant symptoms of preeclampsia. One lab suggested severe preeclampsia. That lab coupled with the unusual contractions made them decide it was better to immediately deliver than even wait for the steroid shots.

Good call. I almost stroked out after deliver and was sent to ICU. I would have lost the babies if they had waited.

Just go!!! You'll really regret if your delay or inaction compromises your health or your babies.

Purple Cat
#4 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 PM

I agree with gemelos. I also remember having BH contrax during the 3rd trimester (probably around that 30 week mark) on. They were very regular but did were not labor and did not initiate labor. I gave birth at the end of 37 weeks. I second the advice to drink LOTS of water (dehydration will trigger contrax), lie on your left side, take a warm bath if you're getting concerned, etc. Keep up on the protein too. Do everything you can to take it easy as activity (for me) definitely increased the severity of the contrax. I know it's hard when you have another little one to care for.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#5 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post
I have twins. Excuse me, but I'll be blunt: Go to OB Triage ASAP!

That many BH is abnormal, as I'm sure you know, and requires evaluation.
I really have to disagree with this. Lots of BH can be a very normal part of a twin pregnancy. If the contractions are not consistant and not getting closer together, there is no reason to immediately be alarmed. It could just be her body's way of saying she is overdoing it and needs to rest more. But I was pretty much a giant walking BH contraction the last 2 months of pregnancy. I remember getting at least 15 an hour on some days and it meant I needed to rest even more. PTL is a very real concern but having BH all day long is not necessarily a reason to run off to triage. Sarbear, just listen to your body and if you really are concerned, then call your dr. or midwife and see what they say.

Blessed mama of four
::
#6 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 PM

the very first thing i would do is sit down and pay close attention to what is going on. are you actually having contractions that are coming and going and getting progressive (longer, stronger, and closer together)? or does your belly just feel tight all the time? take 20min or so to just sit and breathe calmly and center yourself. not only pay attention to your uterus, but also to your babies and to your heart/instincts. what are your babies and your body actually trying to tell you?

after that re-evaluate how you feel. if you still don't feel the need to call your practice or go in, then do some serious self care. drink plenty of fluids (water, nourishing soups, herbal tea, etc.), get a high protein snack, take a warm bath and get some rest. if the sensation you are feeling passes after that, you're more than likely fine. if they are contractions and they become progressive (again-- longer, stronger and closer together) then at that point, i wouldn't hesitate to head in to get checked.

FWIW, i remember that tightness all the time/permanent BH feeling during the second half of my twin pregnancy also and i carried to 39w5d. but i also do totally understand the struggle when trying to decide exactly how cautious to be.

trust your instincts, mama.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#7 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Hi Gemelos and 2+ --

Your point is well-taken that BH may very well be normal and not cause for concern. We've had very different pregnancy courses. Your pregnancies apparently proceeded uneventfully, while mine did not. I think our past experiences, understandably, color the risk we would feel comfortable with and how we would proceed given the OP's situation. Probably personal viewpoints color things, too. I, for one, would be less-inclined to avoid a call to the OB or mid-wife if something different was occurring, like the onset of continous BH. Even though our views are different, I appreciate that we all get to share our different viewpoints. I personally appreciate different viewpoints and often it forces me to think through my position, generally learn a lot, and sometimes change courses entirely.

Best,

Purple Cat
#8 of 14 Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 AM

I think we're all on the same page here that if there is something troublesome going on, getting looked at is the thing to do! I know from experience, and from talking to lots and lots of twin mamas, that it can be a very normal thing to have a lot of BH contractions towards the end of the pregnancy. I had a ton of them from 28 weeks or so on, and regularly had more than a few in an hour, usually when I was doing too much.

So, my approach was sort of a least-to-most intrusive one. If I had enough contractions to worry me, first, I'd do the drink a tall glass of water and lie on the left side trick. Then, if they were still somewhat troubling, I might sip a glass of diluted wine or take a warm bath to see if it calmed them. If, at any point in this process, I realized they slowed down or stopped completely when I did my tricks, I knew they were really just a reaction from my body for my doing more than I should be. I would then know it was time to make sure I was drinking enough water and getting enough rest. If they were still coming enough to worry me after using up my bag of tricks, I figured it warranted a call to the midwife!

If you have a provider you trust, it can't ever hurt to call and ask a question, right? But yes, it can be very normal to have a LOT of BH contractions towards the end without it meaning preterm labor. And yes, if you are worried, a call to the provider can always help you figure out what is going on if you're getting mixed signals.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#9 of 14 Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 AM

I just want to applaud the pp'ers for a great discussion with differing view points. It's not often that I've seen a forum where people respectfully discuss a topic when coming from different stances. Feelings get hurt, etc, and in the end, the information is lost.

So thanks!

I was interested to read this thread because, at 27 weeks, I'm also having a hard time differentiating the feelings in my humongous belly. Between the strange feelings of little bodies pressing out and up, the extra load my abdominal muscles are carrying, and the BH contrax, I feel like something is always happening there. It's hard to distinguish, this being my first pregnancy past the first trimester.

I hope the original poster is feeling better!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#10 of 14 Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies. They have all been helpful...
I decided to drink a lot of water and lay down for about an hour earlier. I didn't experience any while I was laying down. I got up to eat dinner, and I've had a couple so I think I'm just going to lay down again.
In my gut, I really don't feel like it's PTL. I also have never been pg w/multiples before, so I don't want to ignore any signs that could be potential danger. I think I'll just see what happens in the next couple hours, and throughout tomorrow. If they don't go away, I will go in just to be rest assured that everything is okay.
This is just so different from my singleton pregnancy, I didn't have any BH contrax until about a week before my due date with ds!

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#11 of 14 Old 07-03-2008, 12:40 AM

FWIW, when I was pregnant with my twins, I was on another forum for natural-minded twin moms. I almost DAILY posted a thread something along the lines of "OMG these contractions are freaking me out and I'm so tired of not knowing if I'm in labor or not and my uterus gets hard every time I laugh/sneeze/sweep/stand for more than 2 minutes/etc..." It was a VERY stressful time, if for no other reason than freaking out over every BH contraction.

Quote:
I just want to applaud the pp'ers for a great discussion with differing view points. It's not often that I've seen a forum where people respectfully discuss a topic when coming from different stances. Feelings get hurt, etc, and in the end, the information is lost.
I agree... Nicely done!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#12 of 14 Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 AM

Hi,

I'm glad the contractions went away when you drank water and rested. Like other posters mentioned, that's an excellent indicator that nothing is amiss.

Here's to a happy, uneventful, healthy pregnancy.

Best,
Purple Cat
#13 of 14 Old 07-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
That is how it was for me! Somedays it felt like my uterus was permanently as hard as a rock. I would get BH from rolling over, standing up, walking across the room, when I had to pee, etc. Just make sure you are drinking at least a gallon of water a day and rest whenever you need to. I made it to 40 weeks 1 day even though I had BH regularly my whole 3rd trimester. Just make sure you rest alot. I probably laid down every for a bit every 30 minutes or so towards the end.
ITA. I am almost 33 weeks and I contract almost all day lately. But, I know I'm not going into PTL from the way they feel/do not progress. I just have a very irritable uterus at this point because it's ENORMOUS. Everything pisses it off, LOL. I get more when I do too much, need to lay down, need water, and at the end of the evening.

I think a key issue is: are they causing cervical changes? If the answer is no, I really wouldn't worry too much, it seems like most multiples moms experiences this. My OB doesn't do pelvics ( but I have dh check my cervix every once in a blue moon if I am contracting a lot.

Good luck, listen to your gut. You will probably know right away if something changes or starts progressing.
#14 of 14 Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM

I wanted to add-I'm not carrying multiples, I'm 29w, and I have bouts of BHs for days on end-literally every minute round the clock. I had this happen with my last one too and did go to the hospital once when they were getting slightly painful and wouldnt stop when I lay down. The hospital sent me home, lol.

So yes, while I agree if there seems to be something wrong, you should go in, at the same time, having a lot of BH's is not something to worry about, esp with twins in there! If they start to get painful or take on a definate pattern, then I'd give the midwife a call and head in to get monitored but other than that, I'd just try to relax a bit more

And again, I only have singletons, but last time the hospital wasnt in the least bit concerned that I was having them every 2 minutes on the dot and they were hurting...which actually annoyed me seeing as it was my 4th and I know what labor feels like! lol

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page