1st birthday party ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My twins will be turning 1 soon (how quickly a year goes by) and I have been wondering what to do for them. I would like to have a cute twin party theam and don't want to get them many gifts, but just a few to open. I have already ordered a twin book. Just thought if any of you could share your ideas it might help me with my party plan.

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)
#2 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 AM

:

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#3 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 AM

We didn't have a party. : I was too overwhelmed with everything and I figured they wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway. Now that I think of it, I don't think we did anything for their 2nd birthday either. Bad mommy! Maybe number 3 is the charm.

Blessed mama of four
::
#4 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 AM

I haven't done this yet (my girls are only 5 months!), but I had a neat conversation with a lady who was a twin (who stopped to admire my girls) who, when I asked her, said her only advice was to make sure that each twin had her own birthday cake! She said she didn't get one of her very own till she was sixteen!
#5 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post
I haven't done this yet (my girls are only 5 months!), but I had a neat conversation with a lady who was a twin (who stopped to admire my girls) who, when I asked her, said her only advice was to make sure that each twin had her own birthday cake! She said she didn't get one of her very own till she was sixteen!
I had a postpartum nurse who was a twin and she told me this too. Her twin was a NICU nurse, and when I met her and mentioned what her sister said about the cakes, she said "Come on, we're 50 years old - she has got to get over the damn cake thing!" So I guess not every twin cares about this particular issue.

For our girls' first, we had a party at a local restaurant, and had one big cake, but a little smash cake for each of them to enjoy, which they sure did! It was carrot cake, homemade by my BF (a pastry chef) so I could pretend it was healthy.

One thing that was really fun, especially with MZ twins, was I got them cute personalized dresses from www.bswanky.com. I have also seen similar dresses from sellers on ebay and etsy, for a little less, but I don't think they were available back then. It was nice to not have to answer "Which one is this?" on their special day.

The first birthday really is more about the parents. For us, it was a celebration of their survival (in a very real way) and ours (in a metaphorical way) and I wanted the people who had supported us throughout the year to be there to celebrate and see our girls strong and healthy. It was very emotional, and very very wonderful!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#6 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
The first birthday really is more about the parents. For us, it was a celebration of their survival (in a very real way) and ours (in a metaphorical way) and I wanted the people who had supported us throughout the year to be there to celebrate and see our girls strong and healthy. It was very emotional, and very very wonderful!
I have to agree that the first birthday is more about the parents. My first child didn't care that it was her birthday until her third birthday (and my second didn't care about his second; he's yet to have his third). Now, with her fourth coming up in a few weeks, she has definite opinions!
#7 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 04:11 PM

I am a big believer that first birthdays are celebrations of survival for the parents/family. With DS1, we took him out for a fun day and then DH and I went out to dinner without him. With the little ones, we knew we had to do more than that because DS1 wouldn't let us do less. So, we planned a party for and invited the families who had supported us through the first year.

We don't do cake for kids until their second birthday, but a twin party I was at recently had cupcakes for everybody, so everybody got their own cake. I expect we'll do that next year for the trio.

In terms of gifts, we didn't get anything until we saw what they got from other people, and then we got some bigger items that they can share. If you want them to open some presents, make sure you wrap them very loosely so that they can get a good grasp on the paper - and be prepared for them not to get it even after you show them.

Be prepared for a party to overwhelm the kids.

That said, do what feels like a celebration to you. I am not a theme-person and try to downplay that my kids are multiples, so I don't have the resources on cute themes, but there are some awfully cute t-shirts for twins on cafepress.com that I would consider for a party.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#8 of 10 Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 AM

[quote=hergrace;11647720]I am a big believer that first birthdays are celebrations of survival for the parents/family. /quote]

I just went to a party for my GFs twin girls, who just turned one, and this is exactly what she said .... she had the party to thank everyone for helping them survive the first year with twins.

I LOVE the B Swanky dresses!!

Also .... we had my daughter's bday in the park .... no cleaning beforehand, minimal clean up afterward, no messy house, and free entertainment!!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#9 of 10 Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I know my dd who just turned 4 was just now excited about her party and I know they wont care. I just more want to do this to show everyone how great the twins are. You here people say "oh, they are twins, they are doing so well." My babies were only 4 weeks early, so we had it easy compared to some. I had already thought about the cake, I was going to do each of them a small cake and then do cupcakes for the guest. It just seems so crazy that a year has gone by. We also have another baby due in Sept, so I guess I am trying to focus on each child as much as I can before it gets any more crazy around here. Well 2 weeks till the big day, better get to work.

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)
#10 of 10 Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess's Mom View Post
Thanks all. I know my dd who just turned 4 was just now excited about her party and I know they wont care. I just more want to do this to show everyone how great the twins are. You here people say "oh, they are twins, they are doing so well." My babies were only 4 weeks early, so we had it easy compared to some. I had already thought about the cake, I was going to do each of them a small cake and then do cupcakes for the guest. It just seems so crazy that a year has gone by. We also have another baby due in Sept, so I guess I am trying to focus on each child as much as I can before it gets any more crazy around here. Well 2 weeks till the big day, better get to work.
Cupcakes are a marvelous idea .... we've been doing those for a few years for the girls parties. Less cleanup, less plates, no dealing with cutting the cake, etc.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page