Irritable Uterus? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post here often, but I am a little over 28 weeks, and having lots of what I think is BH contrax for the last 3 weeks. I went to the doctor today and my cervix looks great, but they did an NST because of the contrax and said I have a very irritable uterus and I have to go back tomorrow for another NST.

Have any of you been "diagnosed" with a very irritable uterus and if so did it soon lead to PTL??

thanks for your imput!
#2 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 04:19 PM

I think most women here will reply that anytime we had a lot of BH contractions, it meant to DRINK MORE WATER and SLOW DOWN. I don't know about diagnosing a uterus as irritable - seems silly to me, b/c your uterus is doing a lot of work and stretching during a twin pregnancy.

My BH contrax started around 26 weeks. I quit work soon thereafter. Anytime I had a lot of BH contrax in a row, I would chug at least 4 glasses of water and lay down, continuing to drink water. Sometimes I took a relaxing bath and drank a bit of wine. By managing my activity and stress levels and ensuring that I was really well hydrated, BH contrax never became an issue for me. Actually, in the end I was trying natural induction methods and birthed at 42 weeks

I did talk to an OB about my BH contrax. Like you, my cervix was long and closed. However, the OB was quick to prescribe me anti-contracting medication; I researched the meds when I got home, found some scary stuff about the medication, and realized that there was no way I was going to take it unless to prevent a real emergency. I never touched the pills. In the end, my BH contrax were what I think is 'normal' for a twin pregnancy. Also, realize that BH contrax can be a good sign - your uterus is doing a bit of exercise to tone itself to help push out two babies in several months.

Take care of yourself, mama!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#3 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 05:29 PM

I'm 32 weeks today, and was admitted to the hospital yesterday with an irritable uterus. I have cervical length ultrasounds, and it has gotten much shorter in 2 weeks. I've had several NSTs since they admitted me yesterday, and it is irritable but they said that is normal and expected with triplets at 32 weeks. I'm not having major contractions, which is great. I can't say yet whether it will lead to PTL, but I'm glad you are having it checked out. There are a lot of things they can do to prevent or stop PTL (including nothing at all, if the irritability is a normal amount!) and this doesn't mean you will deliver early.

Good luck; please update us tomorrow!
#4 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM

I had BH starting at 20 weeks and was diagnosed with an irritable uterus. I had BH throughout my twin pregnancy. I had PTL at 35 weeks and went on bedrest for a week, but then didn't deliver until 37.5 weeks. I can't remember what the doctors said about whether it's a factor in PTL, but I don't think it was. I agree with pp to drink more water and lay down when you start feeling BH.

P.S. my twins are 6 now!
#5 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Starting at 34w, my NSTs showed an "irritable uterus". My doctor said that it was normal for me at 34w, since it was my 2nd pregnancy. I haven't dilated any further (I was 1cm then, which they also said was normal), haven't had too many BH (they go away with rest and water) and am now 36w and going strong. Definitely take it easy if you can

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#6 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 PM

I was diagnosed with irritable uterus around 33 weeks after dealing with contractions that were sometimes regular. I was admitted to hospital for bedrest but after 3 days my cervix hadn't changed so I went home with orders to take it easy. I did. The contractions continued until I gave birth at 36 weeks, 5 days. Not sure if the irritable uterus caused my "early-ish" labour.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page