Yes 15 100.00%
No 51 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are slowly narrowing down our twin names - we have one boy and one girl coming in Oct-ish. We have a few options that start with the same letter (Harper and Harrison, for instance) but we're not sure if we want to do that or not...?

Did you give your multiples "matching names?" What are they, if you don't mind sharing?

Any other thoughts on this dilemma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 AM

mine match but not intentionally. charlie and chase. we really had trouble coming up with two names we liked and they just happened to start with the same letter by chance. charlotte is a family name, after my grandfather and chase because she came out last. i think it annoys my family that their names are so similar but it is not an issue for me; i don't get tripped up on them or anything. it is much less of an issue than i thought it would be.

but talk to me in ten or twenty years when i have dropped a few more brain cells
#3 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 AM

Nah, we intentionally avoided it.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#4 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:31 AM

We didn't. We simply broke up our one boy name into two first names. I never dreamed I'd have 2 boys to have to figure out names for!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#5 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 AM

Mine are Cabhan (Cavan) for the boy and Aile (I-lee) for the girl.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#6 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 AM

I didn't feel drawn to do so at all. Same initial was considered.

They are Ian and Kyla (B/G).

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#7 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our names have no similarities, be it similar beginnings, rhymes, or themes.

I've heard of lots of pairs of twins with names such as:
  • Donald & Ronald or Sharon & Karen
  • Faith & Charity or Grace & Chance
  • Nathan & Nadine or Jonah & Joseph

Beyond not being my preference, I actually think the practice is cruel if it's done strictly because the names are similar.

(An earlier poster mentioned unintentional matching of loved and family names. This happens and it's not necessarily a reason to avoid using these wanted names. Your kids will understand the reasons for the choice later).

I think a name is pretty personal and contributes to ones sense of self. Naming twins simply for the "cuteness" of the matching names really seems to cross a line, in treating them as a unit while diminishing them as individuals.

Now I know some feel the same way about dressing twins in matching or coordinating outfits. This not only doesn't bother me, I have fun doing it! Inconsistent? Maybe. Hypocritical? Maybe. I'm not sure that I can fully reason that one out. Perhaps it's simply that a name is far more permanent than a t-shirt. On a practical note, we've noticed this summer that it is fantastically-easier to keep track of the twins at public events when they are wearing identical outfits.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#8 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 AM

I'm the name freak. My kids names all follow a pattern. All the boys' names end with n and all the girls' names end in a. It wasn't done intentionally to start with. It was complete coincidence that my first 4 girls all had names ending in a. Then when I got pg with the twins I decided to continue the pattern and I wanted them to have the same first initial. Since my one boy had a name ending in n that's what I went with. My twins are Aslan and Ambria. My kids are named Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Aslan, and Ambria. The baby we are expecting soon will either be Anakin or Kalena depending on the gender.
#9 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
Nah, we intentionally avoided it.
so did we .... that's just not for us.

Our boys' names:
Adam Patrick
Thomas Ethan

Had they been girls, they would have been Rebecca Maeve and Julia Anne.

I spent hours pouring over names for the twins. I had a really hard time with it. I LOVED the site Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing ... posted on their forums for ideas/critiques

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#10 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 AM

We intentionally avoided matchy names as well, including names with matching meanings for one baby. (For instance, I love the name River, but the middle name is Brooks and that would not work.) I don't want to post our babies' names, but they start with L, S and J, they all have different numbers of syllables and sound nothing alike. If the J name is shortened to a nickname, all 3 would have 4 letters each but still wouldn't sound alike. We felt they will likely be viewed as a group or set for many years and wanted to stress individuality. Like a PP, we have some matching clothes but that is not as permanent.

All that said - I really love the names Harper and Harrison!
#11 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 AM

No, they aren't matchy. I didn't intentionally avoid it with our particular names, because they are family names (my maternal and paternal grandmothers' first names) but if they hadn't been, I would have. I'm just not a fan of the cutesy "set" names I often hear.

That said, Harper and Harrison aren't cutesy, even if they are a little matchy, so I don't think that'd set off my radar.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#12 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 AM

I don't know if our girls' names match -- they have a similar "F" sound in the beginning, but they don't rhyme or anything. They are Fiona & Phoebe. I always liked the name Phoebe since reading Catcher in the Rye in 10th grade. My DH loved the name Fiona and he suggested it instead of Phoebe if we had a girl. When we had two girls, it made sense that they were Fiona & Phoebe.

I love Harper and Harrison! Cute names and not too matchy.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#13 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 AM

ours match, but not intentionally. Serena and Sierra. I picked Serena because she was "serene" in-utero (less movement, lower HR) and my DH loved the name Sierra. It fits her as she was named for the mountains, and she is soooo physical. But we didn't try to "match", it just happened.
#14 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 03:50 AM

Ours don't "match" in an obvious sense (Wendy and Windy, or, as one friend suggestion, Cilantro and Coriander -- kind of the same but still different!). But they are similar as far as tone and being kind of traditional -- Katharine and Olivia. We also didn't want to have one non-traditional name (Dharma, Skye, Terra, etc., all beautiful names) and a very traditional one (Elizabeth, Isabella, Susannah, etc., also all beautiful names).

I met adult twins whose names "matched" in a rhyming way (and who also were dressed alike until high school) and they HATED it -- they said it made all the confusion and identity issues even more pronounced (FWIW).
#15 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 AM

OK the one time I needed the famous "other" it wasn't there

Their names go together, but not in a way that is obvious to most people (even people famillier with Hebrew names) My twins were born 10 days after my grandfather died. Nechama means "comfort" and it's the word used for comforting mourners, so we named her that in honor, like she was our comfort after the loss. Rena means "joy / thanksgiving" and it was also a name we had thought of during the pregnancy. The thinking was after you are comforted you can be joyful again. So yes, they match to us but they don't have names most people think of as "matching."

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#16 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post
I don't know if our girls' names match -- they have a similar "F" sound in the beginning, but they don't rhyme or anything. They are Fiona & Phoebe. I always liked the name Phoebe since reading Catcher in the Rye in 10th grade. My DH loved the name Fiona and he suggested it instead of Phoebe if we had a girl. When we had two girls, it made sense that they were Fiona & Phoebe.

I love Harper and Harrison! Cute names and not too matchy.
I love your girls' names!!

DH said 'absolutely not' to Phoebe .... told me it would look like I was going to have the cast of Friends at home .....

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#17 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 AM

I don't know what we're going to do yet either, but we have an accidental (until fourth child) theme of a boy and girl with same initial I,H,H,I and my sister is desperate for me to now continue the theme somehow, ie: if a b/g that they share the same initial so everyone has their opposite sex, same initial partner. LOL. She was the one who named the fourth child with an 'I' to match the big brother.

I did spell their names so they would all have 7 letters, but I think both patterns are going to drop with these two on the way.

I'm not keen on same sex, same initials because it's not so clear for mail or official stuff who is who, ie: Miss M and Miss M as opposed to Miss M and Master M. Not that it matters or they will be forever at home with us to open each others mail by mistake!!!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#18 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have the same pattern!!

liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg013 View Post
I'm the name freak. My kids names all follow a pattern. All the boys' names end with n and all the s' names end in a. It wasn't done intentionally to start with. It was complete coincidence that my first 4 s all had names ending in a. Then when I got pg with the twins I decided to continue the pattern and I wanted them to have the same first initial. Since my one boy had a name ending in n that's what I went with. My twins are Aslan and Ambria. My kids are named Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Aslan, and Ambria. The baby we are expecting soon will either be Anakin or Kalena depending on the gender.

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#19 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My sons are James and Bryan, named after my Dad and my grandfather.

I had enough trouble calling my boy by their correct name as it was! I think they were 2 before I finally quit calling them B-b-b-James and J-j-j-Bryan. If they had started with the same letter I don't think I ever would have gotten them right.

The worst "twin" names I ever heard were Kevin and Tevin.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#20 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Nope!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#21 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM

No my twin boys names are Charlie and Sam, but I've got five kids and they get called anyone of those five names several times a day
#22 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM

Ours have a theme in that they are all family names, and they are all classic English names.

I had friends in high school who were identical twins with matching names and it drove them both batty, so I never even considered matching. Also, people have enough trouble keeping twins straight (even extremely different dz twins) that I wanted to do everything I could to make things different between their names. They are going to be called the wrong name enough even if the names are totally different.

On a practical level, when they are old enough to need everything labelled for activities, camp, etc., it will be easier to keep their things straight if they don't have a matching first initial.

Just my two cents.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#23 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM

Nope, they don't match, but they do sound nice together, and also sound nice with the older two kids' names. It was important to me that nobody shared a first initial and nobody had names that rhymed. The only common thread is that all of my kids have names that have been in use since the middle ages, but the origins are different: One Latinate, one Gaelic, one Germanic, and one French. It works, though. :-)
#24 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM

we had such a difficult time even naming these babies that to take time to find matching names was just not an option or a desire really. both dh and i could not come up with names. i really liked poppy for our girl but dh said it was too crazy. i like nature themed names in general and realized after the fact, that our babies both had that. our boy is named talon and our girl is mica. and oddly, i still havent gotten used to calling them their names and they are 2 mo old-- i refer to them as 'the boy' and 'the girl'.....like, 'can you change the boy's diaper' or 'i need to nurse the girl'.........and my other 3 kids do the same......oh, these poor babies!!!

DS-10, DS-8, DS-5 and B/G twins- born 5/08 all lovingly born
#25 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM

We honestly never considered it. Just went about the naming discussions as if we were being given two singletons. I was unprepared for people being shocked that we didn't name thematically.
#26 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM

I voted "yes", but they don't match in the traditional sense. They don't rhyme, or start with the same letter or even have the same number of syllables. But they're both saint's names. So, they match in that sense.

Of course, my oldest (singleton) daughter has a saint's name too - so, the twins match, but so does she.
#27 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 PM

No. We had a boy name and a girl name and when we went to our 20 week u/s and found TWINS we decided to use them both!

They are Benjamin and Claire.
#28 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM

My girls are Leila and Sarah so not matchy at all. And we don't have names picked out for these boys yet but they won't match either. (Hopefully we'll name them soon!)

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#29 of 51 Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carycaj
and oddly, i still havent gotten used to calling them their names and they are 2 mo old-- i refer to them as 'the boy' and 'the girl'.....like, 'can you change the boy's diaper' or 'i need to nurse the girl'.........and my other 3 kids do the same......oh, these poor babies!!!
LOL! I love this. The babies in my family are "the baby" until they are 4 or 5 usually (or unless another is born!)

Thanks for the thoughts on naming, ladies. It's such a hard thing, isn't it? We have now narrowed down our names to 2 boy names and 2 girl names and none of them "match" (unless I can convince DH to put Harper back on the list!)

I definitely don't want to do anything cutsey - but I would like to celebrate the fact that they are twins. Don't know much about twins yet but it seems like celebrating their differences is just as important! (I'm going to start another thread on book recommendations for raising twins, now that I think of it...)

Thanks again everyone!
#30 of 51 Old 07-31-2008, 12:53 AM

Ours match, but it was not intentional. We had our son's name picked three months before our daughter's name. I picked his and my husband picked hers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page