For those who have twins or preggo with twins...(Xposted in Pregnancy) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you have any families with twins?
I am one of twins. 3 33.33%
Motherside (either mother gave birth twins or twin herself or etc) 11 100.00%
Fatherside (father is twin or etc) 7 77.78%
Maternal grand parents 20 100.00%
Paternal grand parents 11 100.00%
Husband side 11 100.00%
No one in the family 34 100.00%
IVF or other medical help 17 100.00%
Other (please explain) 9 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My paternal grandmother was a twin, zygosity unknown, and I believe she had other siblings back in Germany who were twins, but I don't know, they all passed away before I was born. Regardless, My twins, zygosity unknown so far, are the first born in more than 80 years. There was only one female in the generation before me, and she and her husband could not have children due to infertility. I am the only female of my generation. If it is genetic, then I am the only one likely to birth twins this generation. So far in the next generation we have 2 girls, and one on the way. It will be interesting to see if there are anymore twins in successive generations.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 PM

No twins in our family (either side) at all.

But my boys are identical, and they say genetics doesn't play a role in ID twins.. which I agree. Though I do think that something in the man's sperm can help cause identical twins.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM

I have fraternal. No family history of twins
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM

I am not sure if my vote counts because I was a surrogate who carried twins,

But I clicked invitro

and maternal since my grandmother had 2 sets of twins and she was a twin herself.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 PM

I voted for my mom. There are no twins in the family that we know of (she was adopted and knows her maternal biological family somewhat). She gave birth to identical twins (me and sis) to go with the stats it was her fourth preg. I have not had twins, my bro did not have twins, my other sisters have not yet started to procreate.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:46 AM

Count me in as another mom of MZ with a family history. My father is a DZ (b/g) and my mom's grandmother had stillborn twins (dunno zygosity). My DH's cousin is a twin and we *Think* she's a surviving MZ but we don't know for certain.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 PM

I didn't vote, b/c I don't 'have' twins.

However, DS was a twin, apparently, whose twin did not develop. The midwives decided this due to a very defined second lobe on his placenta.

When I had a blighted ovum m/c in December, at 17 weeks, there appeared to be two distinct and separate placentas expelled.

I'm 14 weeks pregnant now, and we are lightly wondering, "Twins?"

As far as family history goes....on my mother's side, I'm an only child, she's an only child, her mother is an only child. Geez. I know of no twins anywhere on maternal side.

Now....on my dad's side. Paternal grandma is a MZ twin. My dad's brother's kids (my first cousins) have a load of twins, both DZ and MZ. I think there are something like 4 or 5 sets of twins among my five first cousins.

I have read that MZ is completely non-genetic. I have read that DZ has various components on my mother's side. Conversely, I have read that my father could be a contributor for various reasons and that my husband could have certain proteins in his sperm that could contribute to MZ twins. I don't what is true, but I am certainly of the opinion that I am predisposed to twins.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post
My understanding about fraternals running in families isn't that it's passed down only on the mom's side, but that it can only be expressed in a female descendant: i.e., if you're a woman, you can inherit the tendancy to double-ovulate, but if you're a man you can't double-ovulate (um, having no ovaries!), but you CAN pass that tendancy on to your daughters.

So it travels on both sides, but can only be expressed in women. Which is why it can LOOK like it skips a generation.
This is what I have read, and for me it makes sense because the twins are on my paternal side (dads aunt and uncle), and it skipped a generation to come down to me.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 AM

My sister and I are the only ones in the family that we know of who have non-identical twins. Though hers started out as triplets before she lost one early on...

Deb
Old 08-31-2008, 09:03 PM

My grandmother had fraternal twins as did my aunt. We don't know yet if these two are fraternal or identical.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Hi not sure I answered your poll correctly, but I have twins in my family on my father's side - whoops answered 'mother's side in your poll- but they are a few generations back. I think that as limiting family size became more and more possible fewer twins are showing up.
also answered dh's side: his sister has twins (fraternal) - and actually another sister of his does too (I think identical) - but she was adopted so can't actually count .

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No twins in our familes, at least not very close. Our twins are identical, which don't run in families anyway. We just got lucky!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Dh and I both have a set of twins in our families but its like second cousins or great, great grandparents. My boys are identical though and that's not passed through generations.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

Old 09-15-2008, 11:21 PM

I really think we don't understand enough about twinning to know for sure what the genetic components may be, and whether there might be a genetic link in at least some families with MZ twins.

Not us, for sure. Our boys are MZ, and there are no known twins as far back as anybody can remember on either side.

I know a woman locally who has twin girls a bit younger than my boys. DZ twins definitely run in her family, so they assumed they were having DZ twins, but now they believe the girls are MZ, based on examination of the single placenta that revealed no evidence of fusion, and the fact that the girls look exactly alike. They are waiting to do the testing to see for sure.

eta: I wonder also what genetic component there might be to the proposed "polar body twins", sort of half-way between MZ and DZ (egg that becomes two eggs rather than egg and polar body during final cell division, and is fertilized by two sperm, so all maternal genes are shared by paternal genes are not).
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tigress View Post
eta: I wonder also what genetic component there might be to the proposed "polar body twins", sort of half-way between MZ and DZ (egg that becomes two eggs rather than egg and polar body during final cell division, and is fertilized by two sperm, so all maternal genes are shared by paternal genes are not).
Okay, I'm going to start by admitting that I've done very little research, and forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but...

Is this what they mean when I hear people talk about "sesquizygotic" twins?

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 AM

My MZ twins are the 4th set of twins in my family.

My mom and her twin are MZ.
My aunt (mom's oldest sister) had boy/girl fraternals.
My aunt (mom's youngest sister) had MZ girls.
My girls are MZ.

But MZ isn't genetic, don't you know They should study our eggs.

User Tag List