For those who have twins or preggo with twins...(Xposted in Pregnancy) - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you have any families with twins?
I am one of twins. 3 33.33%
Motherside (either mother gave birth twins or twin herself or etc) 11 100.00%
Fatherside (father is twin or etc) 7 77.78%
Maternal grand parents 20 100.00%
Paternal grand parents 11 100.00%
Husband side 11 100.00%
No one in the family 34 100.00%
IVF or other medical help 17 100.00%
Other (please explain) 9 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI,
I posted this poll in pregnancy board but didn't get much answer and just found this board and thought this is THE place to ask this question! (If you all don't mind).
I'm curious to know how much in real life people have twins without family ties. So I was wondering and curious for those who gave birth twins or currently pregnant with twins...
Do you have any families with twins?
I know and read the stats but would like to hear from you guys' experience.
p.s. My father was a twin, his father (my paternal grand father) was a twin along with some of his relatives so I wonder if I get any more chance of having twins myself.

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#2 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My paternal grandmother birthed 10 children (one was stillborn). Her fraternal (boy/girl) twins were her youngest two.

Our twins are monozygotic.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#3 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM

DZ twins, none in the family other than ours!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#4 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM

I have fraternal uncles on my mother's side (grandmother). My dh's side has 5 sets of ID twins on both his mother's grandparents side. And on his father's side, dh's grandparents delivered stillborn twin boys (unknown if they were frats or ID).

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#5 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Nobody in either of our families has twins. Both of our sets are MZ.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#6 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM

My paternal great aunt and uncle are twins. (is that right?) My dad's mother's sister and brother.

My maternal great-grandmother had twin brothers.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#7 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My maternal grandpa is a twin but I think it was the IVF that helped us along!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#8 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Nope. Not in my family on either maternal or paternal side, or Dave's side (not that it would affect my double ovulation--although my MIL loves to comment on how there are some random twins way back in his family. and HOW does that affect my fertility???)

We think it was likely a 'super ovulation' because it was my first ovulatory cycle after having Isabella. I read a couple of places that it becomes more likely in that situation.
#9 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 11:07 AM

We have MZ twins, so apparently no genetic component anyway... but my husband's dad's mom had DZ twins, so I still answered that way.

From what I read when I was pregnant, the genetic tendency to double ovulate passes through the mother's side -- so if your mom was a DZ twin, you are more likely to have DZ twins. I think... it's been a while... and a few things have happened in the last three years so I may have forgotten!
#10 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 AM

My great grandmother had fraternal twins. My grandfathers brother's wife had fraternal twins. My grandmothers sisters daughter had fraternal twins through IVF. My husbands grandmother had fraternal twins.

Seems to be pretty far down the line, but who knows??? We are having identical twins!!

wife mum. dd(12) , dd(10) , dd(8) , ds(7) , dd(4), ds(2) , dd's(9mths) !
#11 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM

No twins for 2 or 3 generations in either of our families. Ours are presumed MZ.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#12 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM

Not twins on either side of the family, but I did have a m/c the cycle before I concieved them which I heard can be a factor. We assume our twins are DZ. They don't look anything alike.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#13 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

I have first cousins on my dad's side that are twins (DZ, I'm assuming, but they look alike so I'm not sure...) and my dad's aunt had a twin brother that died very young (didn't find this out until after I was pregnant). I also have a first cousin on my mom's side that has twin girls, but I think her mom (who I am not blood-related to) has lots of twins on her side of the family so that's probably due to a different genetic line.

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#14 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM

MZ boys here ....

My grandmother had a set of fraternal twin half sisters, and apparently, DH has a set of twins somewhere in his cousins.

Question:
Do you even bother to try to explain to people, if you have MZ twins, that there is no genetic component to it??

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#15 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM

I have both identical and fraternal twins and I'm sure you've already heard that as far as the research goes, identical twins just happen - no family heredity. But fraternal twins come from the mother's line and I have none on my mother's side as far back as anyone knows about (and my grandmother does geneology, so that's pretty far back!)

There are three sets of boy/girl twins (which is what my fraternals are) on my dad's side in my generation. Two sets are from paternal aunts and one set is from a paternal uncle (well, his technically his wife). They were all spontaneous (did they even KNOW about IVF back then!?)

Edit to add: I also had a miscarriage the cycle right before my b/g twins. I did not have a period after my miscarriage, just conceived when I ovulated afterwards.

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#16 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM

I thought no one in my family, but then found out after some weeks of carrying mine that my Grandma's mother was a twin, ( don't ask me how I missed that before. lol), and that's why my Mum and Grandma were so happy to find out - twins in the family again. No idea if they were MZ/DZ though.

I conceived this time 2 weeks after a miscarriage, and had been taking folic acid for a while, so there is some query as to whether that theory is true. I think I possibly have a habit of ovulating twice anyway, but not sure if these two are MZ/DZ yet either. Looked like will be b/g DZ, but waiting to see....

Plus higher chances of multiples with a larger family, so I scored on that front. When I'm over 35 it'll be triplets

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#17 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM

My maternal grandmother was pregnant with twins but lost one midway through the pregnancy. Supposedly there are other twins on that side of the family further up the line. I used Clomid though, so I presume that was mostly responsible, although it doesn't greatly increase the liklihood like IVF.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#18 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM

My maternal great grandmother had a set of fraternal twins.

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#19 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM

My dw is a twin, but she didn't have any genetic influence on our twins (it's amazing how many people don't realize that, though!).

I do have some twins in my family (my dad's aunt had twins, my mom's cousin had twins, there are some further back as well), but I'm 100% sure that my twins came to us due to clomid (5-10% chance of twins).

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#20 of 46 Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM

My twins are MZ, so no genetic link there.

My understanding about fraternals running in families isn't that it's passed down only on the mom's side, but that it can only be expressed in a female descendant: i.e., if you're a woman, you can inherit the tendancy to double-ovulate, but if you're a man you can't double-ovulate (um, having no ovaries!), but you CAN pass that tendancy on to your daughters.

So it travels on both sides, but can only be expressed in women. Which is why it can LOOK like it skips a generation.
#21 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 AM

My boys are MZ, no twins on anyone's side (although it doesn't matter with MZ twins, as someone mentioned).

And no, I never bother to correct the assumptions about twins running on the dad's side having anything to do with MY ovulation...

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#22 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM

We used donor sperm to conceive our twins, and have since come into contact with several of our kids' donor siblings (kids conceived with the help of the same sperm donor), which include five OTHER sets of twins (so six sets total including ours). So, it's always funny when people ask if twins run in the donor's family. I do correct the misconception that the sperm could have anything to do with double ovulation.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#23 of 46 Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM

I am a twin (DZ) BUT my mother conceived us while on Clomid. No other twins on either side of the family.

We're also having DZ twins. And like a few other ladies ours were conceived the cycle following a m/c.

So do twins "run" in our family?
#24 of 46 Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi,

I got pregnant with twins on my first month of Clomid! I am pretty sure this is why we're having twins

Marisa
#25 of 46 Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM

My great-great grandmother had 2 sets of frat. twins, one of the girl twins went on to have a set of twins, then it stops. This is from my fathers side. No twins on my moms that we know of!
#26 of 46 Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 PM

No one in the immediate family but a lot of DH's gazillion cousins have twins, both MZ and DZ.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#27 of 46 Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Forget trying to explain genetic links to twins, I'm lucky if I'm not asked "are they identical" right after I say they are boy/girl. To further amuse me, they look NOTHING alike (click on link in sig and laugh).
#28 of 46 Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 AM

Pretty simple - fraternal twins are the ones that can run in families (and it has to be the mothers side of the family). Identical twins are chance (or maybe not...I know many MZ twin moms who lend up having 2 sets of MZ twins).

SAHM to 2twins.gif (twin DDs, 6). One on the way Aug 14' joy.gif!!! Looking forward to (again!): belly.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif Looking forward to (1st time!): stork-suprise.gifhomebirth.jpgplacenta.gifencapsulation!
#29 of 46 Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 PM

My grandmother (on my mom's side) was pregnant w/ twin boys but sadly lost them during the pregnancy. Also, my mom had some ovarian cysts removed and one of them was the size of a grapefruit -- it had hair, teeth and holes for ears inside of it. The Dr told her that when she was conceived, she was conceived as a twin but that twin died and was absorbed into her body. I know, sounds like something from a movie.

DS-10, DS-8, DS-5 and B/G twins- born 5/08 all lovingly born
#30 of 46 Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was a twin, but my Mother miscarried my (identical) sister at about 4-4 1/2 months. Ironically, my Biological Father dumped my Mother when he found out she was pregnant and almost immediately got his next girlfriend pregnant. She had identical twin boys (my brothers), but they were premature and one only lived until he was 3 weeks old. I don't normally check out the multiples forum, but now I'm curious... isn't it fraternal twins runs on the Mother's side (two eggs, of course) and identical on the Father's side (something to do with the sperm)? It would be quite a coincidence if my Father concieved two sets of identical twins in a space of less than a year, without it running in the family.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page