How was your twin pregnancy different from your singleton pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-26-2003, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I want to clarify that I really don't think I'm having twins, and that my strange and different symptoms are probably due to the fact that I'm nursing right now. However, there are some *huge* differences between this pregnancy and my first.

1. I'm STARVING all the time. I wake up two or three times at night to eat. I'm only five weeks along, and already I feel like my brain is telling me to eat more than my body can handle. When I was 5 weeks along with Eli, I had lost about 15 pounds because I couldn't eat anything at all. I was very very sick, and lost 45 pounds all together in the first trimester (and early second; I didn't start gaining until I was 5.5 months).

I'm told that this can happen with twins, (which is what dh keeps saying) but I would guess that there are other nursing mothers who go through this (though I haven't heard from any.. ).

2. I can feel my uterus, and it's literally doubled in size in the past week. Every time Eli nurses, I can feel my uterus contract a bit, so I always know exactly what position it's in. I could feel it while I was pregnant with Eli too, and while I started to show very early (around 8 weeks), I could tell that it was still fairly small. (I just grew straight out because I'm a short person and it had nowhere else to go! :LOL). My uterus was definately not this big with Eli, but it is normal for you to get bigger sooner with the second baby, even if it's not twins, right?

3. I feel very different, emotionally and physically. I've got acne, which I didn't get with Eli, I've already got heartburn (probably because I'm eating so much, right?) and (tmi?) my bm's are very different from what they were early in my first pregnancy.

So... I guess I'm looking for thoughts, and something to say to dh, who thinks he's clever. :LOL Perhaps the different symptoms mean that I'm having a girl? I think it's fairly unlikely that I'm having twins; I mean, no one in my family does unless you count the ones my mother lost at 7 weeks...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#2 of 20 Old 10-26-2003, 10:42 AM

While each of my pregnancies was slightly different than the others, my twin pregnancy (found out I was carrying twins at 20 wks) was not a whole different than the 3 other pregnancies. I did measure bigger, but dismissed that somewhat, as I measured off at many points of all my other pregnancies (depending on babies position).
#3 of 20 Old 10-27-2003, 07:31 PM

Hi, Rynna. I've been pregnant twice and my twin pregnancy was my second pregnancy so I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. With that said, I can honestly say that there really wasn't much different with the two. When I did notice differences it was during the second half of my pregnancy. I was, of course, measuring much larger then I did with my first pregnancy, gaining more weight, eating more, more tired, etc. I really enjoy being pregnant and loved carrying my singleton and my twins. You could very well have two (or more!!) little ones inside of you. Please let us know what you find out... and CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#4 of 20 Old 10-30-2003, 04:20 AM

Since my midwife out-right refuses to order an ultrasound for what she says is a "normal singleton pregnancy" unless I am measuring big for dates at 16 weeks (duh, I'm 14.5 weeks and already my uterus is above my navel) I've been collecting a "suspiscion index" which is what OBs used to use before ultrasound was readily available. (These are not in any particular order.)

Twin Suspiscion Index

1) History of twins on the mother's side of the family
2) Extra pregnancy symptoms: nausea, fatigue, breast tenderness, etc.
3) Early anemia
4) Early weight gain, even without eating
5) Uterus measures large for dates (usually at 12 weeks measuring about 17 weeks)
6) Feeling early movement (as early as 11 weeks) or more movement than with one baby
7) High hCG levels: 18 days post ovulation 200 mIU (as opposed to 70 mIU with a singleton)
8) High MSAFP (around 15 weeks)
9) Hearing two hearttones, especially with 10 point difference
10) Feeling many baby body parts on palpatation
11) Intuition (this can be by the woman, her child, her mate, even a stranger)
12) Having felt ovulation pain on both sides during cycle in which you got pregnant

That said, twin pregnancies seem to be highly variable. Remember, some women didn't suspect twins until there were two babies at the birth. (Now that's much less common.)

Congratulations either way!

Kathryne
mama to Oliver (3.5) and twins? (expected in April 2004)

**edited for spelling**
#5 of 20 Old 10-30-2003, 11:45 PM

My Twin Pregnancy was definitely different!!!

I had more morning sickness, more weight gain, more issues (i.e. preterm labour, Gestational Diabetes, some Pregnancy Induced Hypertension). However, that is just me. Every person is different and most women I have talked to have had good pregnancies and an easy delivery.

Keep an eye on yourself... And your babe (babies?)
#6 of 20 Old 11-04-2003, 02:43 PM

I ate way more with the twin pregnancy. I got tired of eating so much (something I never thought I'd say). I had more pelvic pain with my singlton, but she was my first. I felt like I was sufficating under my belly by the end of the twin pregnancy. Both were fairly easy pregancies, however, compared to most women's. My twin labor and delivery was so much easier and quicker. I had an epidural and a 3 day labor with my first, a singlton and no medications and a very quick labor and delivery with the twins. The only trouble was delivering twin B who was footling breach but my ob did a giant episiotomy and pulled her out. I feel so fortunate not to have had a c section. If I had to relive a delivery, I'd relive the twins, but both pregnancies were no big deal for me.
#7 of 20 Old 11-05-2003, 07:16 AM

this is a great thread...
  • i felt movement early on
  • i was sick much more
  • i ate more protein and drank more water
  • i was weaker, in a sense, couldn't do all that i could with a singleton

peace,
#8 of 20 Old 11-06-2003, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

This is really interesting..

Today I found out that I'm anemic; I wasn't at all with my first pregnancy.

I've also been feeling movement this week (I'll be 8 weeks on Saturday), but I don't know if that's really strange; I felt movement at 10.5 weeks with Eli, and he is One Baby.

I'm still starving, and only feel sick if I don't eat. I'm consuming ridiculous amounts of protien (and everything else), but I've only gained 1/2 pound. I'm totally thrilled with that. I was hoping to lose weight again (I lost 45 pounds with Eli), but if I have to gain, slowly is the way. :LOL

So I guess I'm about 50/50. I think I'm hoping for one healthy baby, but if I've got two.. well, we'll deal, and be happy. :LOL

#9 of 20 Old 11-07-2003, 04:23 AM

you know the product FLORADIX is a quick, but expensive, way to up your iron. otherwise, liver, pate and some iron boosting herbs will help.

congrats.
#10 of 20 Old 11-15-2003, 12:59 PM

hotmama, tell me more about iron-boosting herbs...

Any news from eilonwy?

The differences for me:

more tired/less energy
hungrier but also fuller at the same time
waaaaayyyyy more movement, earlier and more often
thirstier constantly
now bedrest for PTL risk
huge huge huge

Like others said, most of it was a lot more noticeable later in pg than earlier.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#11 of 20 Old 11-15-2003, 08:41 PM

i had twins first, then a singleton.

no difference between pregnancies for me.

delivery was different though....i had the twins in the hospital and the singleton at home. that single baby was a lot bigger and therefore a lot harder to push out! my midwife kept telling me how it was going to be snap because i had had babies before...guess we all learned a thing or two.:LOL
#12 of 20 Old 11-17-2003, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm having an ultrasound next week because apparently my uterus feels a little large for when I told them my LMP was. What's odd about that is that I gave them an earlier date than my actual LMP because I know I ovulated early in my cycle.

I totally understand about being hungrier but fuller at the same time; I've been having a hard time getting more food into me, but my body is telling me in no uncertain terms that I'm hungry. I think that may have a lot to do with the fact that I'm nursing and pregnant.

Anyhoo, we'll see what's up soon enough. Thanks for asking!

#13 of 20 Old 11-18-2003, 04:15 PM

Differences for me so far

- way more morning sickness with the twin pregnancy - I lost a lot of weight in the beginning and at 21 weeks am just back to pre-pregnancy weight. I've had morning sickness every pregnancy, but not nearly so much.

- starting the past couple weeks I'm way hungrier than normal and starting to get bigger faster - I didn't even start to show at all until around 15 weeks with twins though.

- way more complications. I had placetal hemmorage at 6 weeks. Full bedrest then for a week - partical bedrest until 12 weeks. Then at 18 week ultrasound they discovered twin B was not grorwing properly, so I"m referred to perinatologists for all sorts of tests and ultrasounds every week to monitor growth.

They are trying to figure out if it's placental insufficiency (possibly from the hemorrage at 6 weeks), a genetic disorder, or twin to twin transfusion syndrome. The prognosis is really scary on a couple of those problems. I had contractions last week after my amnio that put me in hospital for a couple days. Now I'm on bedrest at home for the rest of the pregnancy and will be unable to watch my kids. Bedrest is also required if it's twin to twin transfusion or placental problems. They told me that by 26 weeks or so - I may be bedrest in hospital for the rest of the pregnancy and to plan for that.

I'm also anemic from the beginning of the pregnancy and am on iron and folic acid supplements. Though I threw them up pretty much all first trimester - so I'm still anemic - now they are just making me really constipated.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

#14 of 20 Old 11-18-2003, 06:25 PM

hey, Cheryl -
I'm 20 wks. pg w/ twins w/ TTTS - feel free to PM me or something if you want to say hi. good luck to you!

differences for me:

I showed WAY earlier than my 1st pregnancy; I thought it was just b/c it was my 2nd kid.

More nausea

Less food cravings, less hunger, have to force myself to eat this time around - last time I was ravenous

I'm measuring 7-8 weeks ahead; this is also partially from the poly. fluid from TTTS

movement is tricky, b/c I have and had an anterior placenta, so both times, I don't feel a ton in the front. Weird.
#15 of 20 Old 11-19-2003, 12:28 PM

My twin pregnancy has actually been as good as or better than my singleton pregnancy.

* no morning sickness or nausea
* anemic, but not more than with my dd
* pelvic pain (hurts to turn in bed)
* baby punching my ribs; but my dd did that too!
* very HUNGRY! during certain weeks. I can go weeks with eating like a healthy, normal woman and then BAM! I get those weeks where I'll eat anything that isn't nailed down! I'm in one of those weeks right now! Yikes!!!
*crave sweets (cakes, cookies, ice cream) much more than with my dd. With dd, I craved citrus fruits, melons and pototoes.
*carrying lower and all in front

That's all I can think of for now....

F.
#16 of 20 Old 11-19-2003, 01:38 PM

Cheryl, {{{HUGS}}}, I'm on bedrest as well, but only one older child to care for and my mom is here helping. Keep us updated, Hon.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#17 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

:LOL

I had an ultrasound, and saw my One Baby. As much as I think it would be "cute" to have twins (and please don't go nuts on me, but it's so adorable to see two little people just the same size looking at you!), I feel like I have my hands full with my little man and will be more than busy enough with One New Bean. Like I said, it'd be cool, but I really feel blessed and relieved to know that there's only One Bean in there. Thanks for your thoughts!

#18 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Megs Mom
hotmama, tell me more about iron-boosting herbs...
yellowdock....i took this in tincture form. it tastes NASTY but I used it to get my iron levels up when they were close to the line. (I didn't want to get risked out of a homebirth. :LOL) The yellowdock boosted my levels up and eating red meat and pate kept them up.

nettles has a lot of iron, i think.

it is late and i need to look at my notes from my pregnancy. i will post again another day.

Get that FLoradix if you can. Tastes MUCH better than yellowdock.
#19 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 06:14 AM

Well here is a new difference from my single pg: kidney stones.

#20 of 20 Old 12-27-2003, 07:05 AM

Major sleep issues.
Incredible hunger.
Dog-level-smelling.
Symphisis Pubis Diastasis (split the pubic bone)
Hated anything that smelled/tasted "fake".
HCG levels were lower than with singleton!.

Singleton was so very mellow, only craved meat ~ not the whole store.
Almost the same size as my twins combined, btw
DS 10 1/2 lbs to DTwinS 6lbs2+6lbs6

Good luck!
Maya

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page