If you exclusively breastfeed... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are exclusively breastfeeding your twins; when did your menses return? And (because they are interrelated...) when did you start solids...And, are you cosleeping. Thanks for the answers in advance. I was going to do polls, but I am computer challenged... I had my cycles return at 3 months with my 1st singleton (cosleeping, exclusive BFing, but used a pacifier) and 8 months with my 2nd (cosleeping and exclusive BFing no pacifier) I am hoping for at least 2 years with twins!!!
#2 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Mine returned with my singleton and my twins about a month after I nightweaned - at 12 months for my son and 18 months for my girls. We coslept and nursed a LOT at night... no sign of it until those night nursings were gone. Introduced solids at about 6-7 months, although none ate a ton til a year.

HTH
#3 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 12:01 AM

with my last singleton daughter, AF returned at 9m post partum. We introduced solids at around 6m. We co-slept with her.

Now ... my boys are 3 months old, and we are exclusively BF, as well as co-sleeping. I don't plan to even consider solids until at LEAST 6m, and maybe not until 9m. I'm in no hurry this time.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#4 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 AM

With my twins I got af at 1 yr pp. They started solids around 11 months and I guess I got af shortly after. With my older ds I got af at 18 months (started solids around 9 months) but he never slept and my twins were pretty good sleepers. We co-slept with all and all used pacifiers. I don't think it has nearly as much to with if you co-sleep as much as if your kids actually sleep! I was up at least every hour with my older ds until he was well over 1 yr but my twins only woke once between 11pm (I would wake them to nurse at 11) and 7am, usually around 4am. Or course that was before teething and it was all downhill from there
#5 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 AM

I'm waiting. They are three months and have been sleeping through the night most nights (one usually wakes up once, but sometimes neither) for a month and I know it's going to get me. I'll trade off though, it's alright. They cosleep right now but I may move them into cribs soon if the sleeping keeps up. We won't start solids until someone starts to show they are ready. With my first nursling that was 5.5 months and the second was 8 months (maybe 9, can't remember). AF came back both times around 5 months with ovulation showing back up at 11 months the first time and 8 months the second (hello twins)
#6 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 AM

We're cosleeping, babies are 13 months old, started solids 2 months ago, and still no period. Though after my first two children I started at 14/15months so we'll see if my body is just wired that way.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#7 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM

my twins are now 22 months old.
i ebf for 10, 11-ish? months. no pacifiers, bottles, etc. we cosleep and they still nurse often through the night.
i am still AF-free :
#8 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM

I strictly breastfed my twins and got my menses back after 6 mos. Every pregnancy is different, my first baby I got it back at 2 mos. My second after 6 mos. and my last after 3 mos. I didn't start solids with my twins until they were 7 mos. but every baby is different and my want food later or a little earlier. As for sleeping I had a crib in our bedroom and nursed them together most of the time and sometimes I would alternate them and let them sleep together in the their crib, especially during day naps. At night they were mostly in bed with us and my dh would help me nurse them and then take one to burp and we'd keep switching all night: I did no pacifier and they nurse a little over 2.
#9 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

The boys were 8-9 months when AF showed up. Started solids around that time, but they were still nursing at least 8x's a day, and nursing multiple times at night at that point (in fact, just started slowing down to 3-4x's a day at 22 months)
#10 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeniceweather View Post
If you are exclusively breastfeeding your twins; when did your menses return? And (because they are interrelated...) when did you start solids...And, are you cosleeping. Thanks for the answers in advance. I was going to do polls, but I am computer challenged... I had my cycles return at 3 months with my 1st singleton (cosleeping, exclusive BFing, but used a pacifier) and 8 months with my 2nd (cosleeping and exclusive BFing no pacifier) I am hoping for at least 2 years with twins!!!
I just got my AF back 3 weeks ago, twins were just about 19 months old. We co-sleep. They still nurse often. We have never used pacifiers. We introduced solids to the twins shortly after 6 months, but it was extremely minimal and "half-hearted" for several months.

I think I just go longer without AF while nursing:
Between #1 and #2: Weaned #1 at 12 months when returning to work and got pregnant with #2 with no AF between.
Between #2 and #3: Weaned #2 at 11 months (work and moving). Got AF back within about a month. Got pregnant with #3 after a couple of cycles.
Between #3 and twins: Weaned #3 at 12 months (work). AF returned within about a month and got pregnant with the twins after a couple of cycles.

The return of AF in the older kids was "jolted" by sudden weaning. I have had no changes here this time in at least 4 months (frequency/time of nursings, amount of other food/drink, etc) that cued me that AF was likely to return now.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#11 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM

I got AF back 18.5 months pp with my twins. They started to play around with solids at 9.5 months. They both use binkies, although these days one does a lot and the other rarely does (almost 29 months). We've co-slept from day 1.

With my singletons I got AF back at 4 months on the dot. I was exclusively bf'ing them too (and co-sleeping) and although they both used binkies, they nursed on demand every 1 to 2 hours for the first year (and then it spaced out slightly more). So it's not like I wasn't constantly nursing them. No idea why it was so different with them.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#12 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM

We cosleep, and nurse on demand. My twins are 14 months and nothing. We started solids around 7 months but one likes them and one is ehhh... both probably still nurse more than eat.

That said, I never got my cycle back before a year PP with singletons either.
#13 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM

My twins were EBF until 7.5 months (6 months adjusted age) when we started solids. We co-slept and they continued to nurse with lots of night nursing (I work and pump during the day but the kids reverse cycled for the most part). AF returned at 21 months, I was pregnant at 24 months and the twins self-weaned during my pregnancy.
#14 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 PM

15 months. Last week, to be exact. Grrrrr.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#15 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 PM

My twins were EBF until 7 months. nursed on demand even longer, and co-slept very part time as needed ( I have one that hates bed sharing of any kind). AF returned at 16 months pp, (and I was pg unexpectedly by 18 months!). With my singleton it was 19 months pp before AF returned and it took 18 months to conceive the twins. Every pregnancy is different.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#16 of 30 Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 PM

I'm with 4daugetrs-mine came back at 6 months, and the boys were EBF. Solids started at 7 months or so-one twin stopeed nursing at 26 months, the other at 29 months.We co-slept til they were 28 months-They decided to sleep in big boy beds then, much to my dh's dismay (he loved sleeping with the kids!).
#17 of 30 Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxymum View Post
my twins are now 22 months old.
i ebf for 10, 11-ish? months. no pacifiers, bottles, etc. we cosleep and they still nurse often through the night.
i am still AF-free :
Yeah!! I hope to be like you!!! :
#18 of 30 Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 PM

My af's returned at 14 months pp, even though my children had night weaned at around 6-7 months. My kiddos were ebf and we introduced solids with my son at 6 months and my dd at 8-9 months, although neither really took to them until closer to 1 year old.

DS used a pacifier, DD sucks her thumb. We didn't co-sleep past 7 months or so (once they started sleeping through the night).
#19 of 30 Old 08-24-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeniceweather View Post
Yeah!! I hope to be like you!!! :
LOL be careful what you wish for!!! i am still nursing all.the.time
#20 of 30 Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 PM

My period returned at 9 months post partum on the dot.

I never supplemented.
My twins stopped eating at night around 7 months and started solids around 8months.
#21 of 30 Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 AM

3 months pp with both my singletons.

8 months pp with my twins.

Co-slept with all of them, started solids around 6 months.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#22 of 30 Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM

AF returned at 24 months.

Mine were EBF until 6 months and 9 months (for DS and DD, respectively).

I nightweaned them at 27 months and we coslept till they were around 3 yo.
#23 of 30 Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 PM

My menses returned when we weaned, at 20 months. However, my fertility started gearing up again a couple months earlier when we drastically cut down the nursings to about 3 times a day each. We started solids around 9 months. We did not co-sleep past 6 months and both used a pacifier at night.

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#24 of 30 Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM

With my first set of twins I exclusively nursed until around 11 months when we started solids. THey are still nursing but I got AF back around 15 months after they were born and then got pregnant (with twins again!) With my second singleton I got AF back at 11 months-2 weeks after we started solids. With my oldest I got AF back around 5 months but I was working & pumping.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#25 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 AM

Ugh. With the twins, it returned for me at 7 months PP. They were exclusively nursing, but had started a tiny, tiny bit of solids. They were not co-sleeping, but woke up all.the.time to nurse. They did not use pacifiers and comfort nursed. I was bitter!

For my singleton, it returned at 3 months PP, with an episode of bleeding at 6 weeks PP that may well have been a period, too. He co-sleeps, had not started solids at the time and only very occasionally goes even 4 hours without nursing. I think one night he slept 8 hours, but other than that, wakes every 2. Nurses all night. Never even offered a pacifier.

My sister had her cycles return at 4 months PP with both kids. Exclusively nursing, no pacifiers with her oldest, but no co-sleeping for either. Had not nightweaned at 4 months PP, though.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#26 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM

With my singletons AF returned at 11 months, while still nursing throughout the night.

With the twins, at 14 months still nothing. Still nursing around the clock.

Introduced solids to all four around 6 months, with each one taking a different interest, some more than others.

Deb
#27 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 02:05 PM

My menses returned at 16 weeks. I did not introduce solids until the boys were 13 months old, they just weren't interested.

Some of us are just 'lucky'.

Incidentally my period returned at 8 weeks with my daughter, after a 1 week break from the after-birth bleeding. I got pregnant, exclusively nursing her, when she was 6 months old (though I miscarried at 8 weeks), and got pregnant again with the twins a few months later while still exclusively nursing her on demand.
#28 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM

I got my first PPAF when my twins were 21 months old, 3 months after nightweaning. They started eating some solids around 13 months, but didn't REALLY start eating until after their second birthday (when I cut back to nursing only 4 times/day).

My singleton is now 21 months and I haven't nightweaned or anything (he's still mostly breastfed), and no PPAF yet, but I can't imagine it'll stay away much longer. I am starting to feel a bit hormonal again.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#29 of 30 Old 09-25-2008, 12:54 AM

We exclusively breastfed and we co-sleep. Babes started some solids (self-feeding) around 9 mos and at 16 mos are still breastfeeding through the night. My cycle returned exactly at 1 year and has been like clockwork since.
#30 of 30 Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 AM

EBF 7 months,BF total 26 months AF at 10 months. Singleton Af at 6 weeks. Singleton 2 af 10 months. Co slept every time Still do!

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page