Naturally occurring or Fertility treatments - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Were your multiples naturally occurring or did you use fertility treatments?
Naturally occurring 65 100.00%
Fertility treatments 24 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious how many mamas had naturally occurring multiples and how many had mutiples as a result of fertility treatments.

I am feeling HUGE at 6 1/2 weeks pregnant. I am trying to get an idea of how many mamas had multiples without any sort of intervention.

Thanks

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
I am curious how many mamas had naturally occurring multiples and how many had mutiples as a result of fertility treatments.

I am feeling HUGE at 6 1/2 weeks pregnant. I am trying to get an idea of how many mamas had multiples without any sort of intervention.

Thanks
My twins were spontaneous!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#3 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 PM

No fertility treatments here- just a big 'ol crazy surprise

DS-10, DS-8, DS-5 and B/G twins- born 5/08 all lovingly born
#4 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM

100% Natural 110% surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#5 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 PM

I like to say I married my fertility drug! My boys were a total surprise!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#6 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
I like to say I married my fertility drug! My boys were a total surprise!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM

just a big, great suprise (or manifestation of the fact that I wanted 3 kids, had one already, and knew that life-wise we wouldn't pursue another pregnancy after this one) We got the 2 for 1 special
#8 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Spontaneous identicals, here. And yeah, a big surprise.
#9 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 04:28 PM

I had no fertility treatments.

I view that even with fertility treatments though, mulitples is still often totally/ partially natural - what about when an embryo splits...that can't be engineered, and it takes a mamas body to embrace and hold even 2/3 implanted embryos. Not every mamas body will do that. It's all a miracle!

Just my extra pondering there. lol.

Best wishes to you btw - exciting and nerve racking time it must be!!!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#10 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Spontaneous identicals - huge surprise!

[QUOTE=shukr;12011526]
I view that even with fertility treatments though, mulitples is still often totally/ partially natural - what about when an embryo splits...that can't be engineered, and it takes a mamas body to embrace and hold even 2/3 implanted embryos. Not every mamas body will do that. It's all a miracle!
QUOTE]

I know of some other monoamniotic moms, and there's at least one of them who has triplets - with a momo pair! (Don't remember if the original twins - before the identical pair split - were due to fertility treatments or not, but it's not unlikely.) I think it's just incredible the way all these babies come into the world.
#11 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 PM

Mine were spontaneous!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#12 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM

Spontaneous identical twin boys.
#13 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Both

As a result of a previous surgery I had part of one ovary taken out so it fires somewhat randomly. I've been told it is one strategy used for infertility - haven't verified that though. No drugs or intentional fertility procedires though.

I was huge early with my 4th - just because those poor old ab muscles couldn't hold it together

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#14 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 PM

Mine were through fertility and a whole lot of prayer!

Quote:
I sometimes feel like a "fraud" because we had help, but this made me feel really good
#15 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 PM

I'm always curious why people wish to know the answer to this question. I have no problem answering, we did IVF. But I'm always curious why it matters? I don't find it rude on a forum to ask this question, but I do find it rude in person for someone to ask the question. I would never ask someone, "What position did you get pregnant". :

I don't feel like a fraud. I feel happy and pregnant. I've been trying to get pregnant for 4 1/2 years. I'm so thankful our first and only IVF try worked. Unexplained infertility is annoying. : To have multiple tests and multiple doctors keep telling you everything is fine and yet you still don't conceive really takes it's toll.

I'm just glad that I turned to adoption first, because I have a gorgeous, wonderful, amazing little boy who calls me Mama! :

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#16 of 55 Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Spontaneous fraternal twins here.
#17 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 AM

You know, I have found it so suspicious when people ask me if twins run in our family. I feel like what they really want to know is if it was IVF. And if it was, do they have an opinion on that? I find that when I start to answer about my mom's cousin, and.... they cut me off so quick, question answered for them. It irritates me, as I don't know what the point is, IVF or spontaneous. No offense to IVF-ers here, but I wonder if they are thinking "did you bring this twin thing upon yourself?" Like maybe they wouldn't extend their "sympathy" to someone w/multiples who had IVF, (not that their "sympathy" is helpful at all ) I rarely get irked at different twin questions, but this one bugs me!!! And, I guess, that people decide it must be a rough go as you have twins. Yeah, it's hard, but my DD1 (whom I ADORE) is SUCH a bigger challenge than my twins. I feel so blessed by them.
#18 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
I had no fertility treatments.

Just my extra pondering there. lol.
I have spent a lot of time pondering this same thing -- whether fertility treatment was involved on not. For mamas of MZ babes, what happened on day 2 (di/di) or day 5 (mo/di) or day 8 (mo/mo) to make the embryo split and stick? And for mamas who had spontaneous DZ, why did two eggs drop that months? And for mamas who were receiving fertility treatment --what happened to make two or more embryos stick and implant and grow into two babies when other times and other months the drugs or IVF or IUI don't work? Sometimes the pondering is done in the "oh man, why did this happen?" sense, but usually in the "wow, isn't it awesome this happened?" sense -- however it happened.

Enough rambling and back OT -- spontaneous MZ girls -- a big surprise.
#19 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaK View Post
I'm always curious why people wish to know the answer to this question. I have no problem answering, we did IVF. But I'm always curious why it matters? I don't find it rude on a forum to ask this question, but I do find it rude in person for someone to ask the question. I would never ask someone, "What position did you get pregnant". :

I don't feel like a fraud. I feel happy and pregnant. I've been trying to get pregnant for 4 1/2 years. I'm so thankful our first and only IVF try worked. Unexplained infertility is annoying. : To have multiple tests and multiple doctors keep telling you everything is fine and yet you still don't conceive really takes it's toll.

I'm just glad that I turned to adoption first, because I have a gorgeous, wonderful, amazing little boy who calls me Mama! :
I am asking for personal reasons. I was trying to figure out likelihood of having twins without intervention. The last couple of pregnancies, I can not stop thinking about twins. Like God is trying to prepare me for something.

I am having trouble fitting into my jeans now. I know this is #5 so that could be why.

I was jsut trying to gauge the odds I guess.

In NO WAY was I trying to be nosy or rude.

#20 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I was trying to figure out likelihood of having twins without intervention.
I think this is why MOST people who recently found out they're expecting twins ask. They are in WTH stage of it all, and just curious what the "chances" might be.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#21 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
In NO WAY was I trying to be nosy or rude.
I don't think it was rude to ask on a forum.

I do think people asking strangers or acquaintances just for curiosity sake is rude. I remember wanting to ask a lady with twins that I had met a 4th of July party this year if she had them via fertility meds, as we had just found out we were pregnant and transfered two blasts. But I didn't cause I felt like it would be rude. I'm so glad now that I didn't ask.

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#22 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM

naturally occurring fraternals, and they run in my family, so it wasn't really a surprise.
#23 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 05:07 PM

Spontanious twins here

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#24 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 PM

I'm pregnant with IVF fraternal g/g twins after 4 miscarriages and 5 embryo transfer, including one set of identical twins from a single embryo transfer last summer.

I like to think of all babies as "natural", and choose to avoid the value-laden language. It's not like my babies are zombies or Frankenstein!

I too am tired of the "do twins run in your family" question...if only i had a dollar for each time I'm asked. I too tend to think it's the inquiring mind wanting to know if they're from ART. I've started saying "They do now!" and leave it at that.

I just feel so lucky to be 24 weeks with these little creatures, and I can't wait to meet them in person.

:
#25 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciemack View Post
I too am tired of the "do twins run in your family" question...if only i had a dollar for each time I'm asked. I too tend to think it's the inquiring mind wanting to know if they're from ART. I've started saying "They do now!" and leave it at that.
I love that! I'm going to use that. "They do now".

#26 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 PM

I don't find it a rude question, just a very personal one.

If the question gets phrased to me like, "Did you use fertility treatment?" I usually respond by saying, "I was single and 22yo when I got pregnant with my twins," and let them figure out the answer. Mine are MZ.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#27 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Also, I wanted to add, I find the phrase "naturally occurring" to be offensive toward moms who used fertility. End the mommy wars!

If you really consider it, is there anything "natural" about an embryo splitting, or about a woman producing multiple eggs in the same cycle?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#28 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
Also, I wanted to add, I find the phrase "naturally occurring" to be offensive toward moms who used fertility. End the mommy wars!

If you really consider it, is there anything "natural" about an embryo splitting, or about a woman producing multiple eggs in the same cycle?
Uh-oh! (I find myself disagreeing with DoomaYula on this one!) Yes, an embryo splitting without human intervention or a woman producing multiple eggs in the same cycle is "natural". It may be uncommon, but it most certainly is natural.

It's not the word "natural" that's offensive - it's the attitude some folks adopt when making comparisons between assisted fertility or spontaneous multiple births. To drop the terminology in an effort to avoid offending people would be a shame. A "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" if you will.

I can see why some people consider it a very personal question and why others don't think it's particularly personal or anything more than a biological curiosity.

There's no shame in treating infertility with assisted reproduction techniques, whatever they may be. IVF MOMs take heart: The desire to to birth your own children is extremely "natural". (That's the part that counts).

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#29 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 10:33 PM

My fraternal twins weren't the result of fertility treatments. And, I have no history of fraternals either.
#30 of 55 Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post

In the political corners of the childbirth community natural = superior. It's a pretty loaded word. It implies there's something unnatural about my babies - whose poop's will smell just the same as "natural" twin poop's.

I think it's best to use the scientific terms - as they tend to carry less judgment, naturally.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page