Twins sleeping together - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Until what age do you think it works for twins to sleep together? I just saw a You Tube video that recommended it only til 3 months... could that be right?!?! At night we have no problems, but what about naps?

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM

i think it just highly depends on each individual situation.

mine are 22 m/o, much happier together. dh is away for long stretches often (=no nighttime help) and mine wake to nurse often, so having us all together in bed works wonderfully here.
#3 of 27 Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Mine still sleep together, too, at 26 mos--as they always have. Though they did go through a spurt where they needed to nap separately (8-11 mos? maybe?) as they slept much lighter in the daytime. They are now back to napping together, too. Their big sister often sleeps between them. =)
I'd say just wing it and see how they do--all kids have different sleep patterns and needs, and doing your best to read that is all you can do!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#4 of 27 Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 AM

We had ours together up until around 8 months, when there were too many wake-ups overnight because someone was getting kicked in the head. They slept in their own cribs (and with us when they wanted to) up until they rebelled against the cribs around their second birthday. Now they sleep in our old queen size bed in their room, and we have a king. Best move we ever made. They still often end up in bed with us, but at least now there is space!

I have never heard anyone say it wasn't safe for them to sleep together, though. Only that most people separate them when they become mobile, which I understood when it happened to us!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#5 of 27 Old 08-28-2008, 02:44 AM

Mine (28 mos) sleep together in our big king-size bed for naps and at night. They really do not like being separated. If one wakes up and the other isn't there, it's the first thing he wants to know is where his brother is. We put a big pillow in between them during naps so they don't roll over on each other and, at night, myself or DH is in the middle. It works great for us.

I can't imagine why someone would choose an arbitrary cut-off time (3 mos) for co-sleeping twins. I think it totally depends on your twins and how well they sleep when they are together. For me, the hardest part has always been that they sometimes wake each other up. So I always have a baby monitor on when they are napping and I'm poised to RUN into the room the instant I hear one of them start to wake up so I can either comfort him or remove him before he wakes up his brother.

Amy â Unschooling my twin boys, born April 2006 (12 weeks early at 2 lbs each). Astrology for Parenting -- helping parents attain authentic and respectful relationships with their children and families.
#6 of 27 Old 08-28-2008, 03:28 AM

Mine coslept with us for 2 /12 years and slept with each other until age 4 1/3. and they are boy/girl. Then we got them their own twin beds but were in same room until age 6.
#7 of 27 Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 AM

MIne slept in the same crib (or with me) until they had beds except one brief period when one of them took to biting her sister :

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#8 of 27 Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine slept together until 8mo or so. For naps they're now separate because they wake each other up. At night sometimes together and sometimes nots.

Last night, they both dozed off together in the playpen... one sleeping on her tummy, the other draped across her.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#9 of 27 Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 AM

My twins slept together until they were 10 months old....

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#10 of 27 Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Mine still sleep together for both naps and bedtime. They start out the night in their crib and then are with us after the first waking.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#11 of 27 Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 AM

My girls still sleep together at 25 months. A couple of times (a long time ago now), they have seemed to bother each other, but when I moved one into the Pack and Play, they cried harder until I moved them back together.
#12 of 27 Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM

My twin DSs are 7.5 years old, and have different beds in the same room. Most nights one or the other crawls into the other's bed, and they sleep spooning. It is delicious to see.
#13 of 27 Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM

My dd's aren't twins, although I get asked if they are constantly, they are 3 and 4, and they sleep together in a twin bed. Adorable, once they actually fall asleep!
#14 of 27 Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 PM

The boys slept in our bed until they were 6.5. They slept in the same bed until they were 8. They now sleep in their own beds in the same room.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#15 of 27 Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 PM

my 9 1/2 year old twins still share a bed most nights (queen sized). They consider it punishment to do it any other way.
#16 of 27 Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I agree. Mine are 8 mos. and we all sleep together.:

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#17 of 27 Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM

mine are 4 and still sleep together - when they aren't crowding into my bed, that is
#18 of 27 Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 AM

At night mine have always slept one on each side of me. I tried at first having them sleep next to each other but they were not into that. They always napped together (until they stopped napping at two) and it was never a problem. They have always really been on the same schedule so I did not really worry about them waking each other up, if one was up the other usually woke anyway without being woken by the other baby.
#19 of 27 Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 AM

mine still sleep together at a little over 2yo. their almost 5yo big sister sleeps in the same bed with them too about half the time. (the other half, she's just in the bed across the room from them.)

ITA with all the PP who said it should depend on the kids.
and what works for the family.

FWIW, my cousin has 16yo twin girls and although they have seperate beds if they wanted them, they still always sleep in the same bed, just like they have ever since they were babies.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#20 of 27 Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Mine slept together 'till they where 14 or 15 months, then they moved to there own beds because they were needing more space.

Naps they slept alone only b/c one had colic and slept in a swing and it just became habit for naps, then I moved him to a bed but they other liked to sleep in the living room. We've had all kinds of napping arrangements.

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
#21 of 27 Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Mine slept together until they were 9 months and began waking one another constantly at night. We separated them then and all was well.

They moved into toddler beds at 16 months and began sleeping together once again. They are now nearly six years and about 1-2 nights per week they crawl into bed with each other.
#22 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 AM

My girls are 3.5 and have always slept together. For the first 2 years they slept with us (with me in-between) and then we moved them to their own queen mattress on the floor. They love their bed, though they don't always stay in it Maddie will often come into our bed or onto a little crib mattress we have at the bottom of our bed. Katherine pretty much sleeps like a rock - hence no problems with one waking the other up. Also, I will add that between 1 and 2 (or so) I would often consider having them sleep separately, or at least put them down separately, because they would play with each other and keep each other up. Drove me insane. But, I never did actually separate them...because 1. I got a little bit more lax in the sense of, if they are going to play, let them, and I can get something else done. 2. We started getting a routine going that they really enjoyed and 3. When they cut out naps, Katherine began to fall asleep really fast .
So... in answer to your question, it totally depends on the munchkins, not just in general, but even as they go in and out of stages in development.
#23 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 AM

Mine slept together until I went in there and baby A was laying on Baby B's face, and then I started to get nervous....I guess around 6 months they got their own cribs.
#24 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Mine are 28 months old and we just (two nights ago) moved the two who were sleeping together to separate cribs. (One prefers to sleep with us and the other two liked to co-bed.) I'm not sure if it was just a space issue, though. We are getting their room ready for them and will use a queen mattress at first and then adjust as necessary.

All three slept together until 11 months.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#25 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 PM

As far as safety, the AAP recommends against co-bedding multiples because of suffocation risks. Of course how many people here listen to AAP recommendations? :P

My guys sleep in the same crib, but they are still swaddled to sleep. We'll see how they do when they grow out of the swaddle. I do have a question though: if you've had twins sleeping in the same crib, how? I have them parallel going the "wrong" way in the crib, the narrow way, but they are getting too long to sleep like that...I'd love to keep them together but I was thinking we need a second crib since they don't seem to fit too well anymore.
#26 of 27 Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tigress View Post
As far as safety, the AAP recommends against co-bedding multiples because of suffocation risks. Of course how many people here listen to AAP recommendations? :P
Hmm. I'm starting to wonder if AAP has a point. Look!

(oh, and those sippies are just water, no teeth-rotting here! )

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#27 of 27 Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tigress View Post
I do have a question though: if you've had twins sleeping in the same crib, how? I have them parallel going the "wrong" way in the crib, the narrow way, but they are getting too long to sleep like that...I'd love to keep them together but I was thinking we need a second crib since they don't seem to fit too well anymore.
At first we did what you do, then we layed them in there at an angle. They liked to spoon. After B decided she wanted her own bed we started putting the other two with their heads at either end of the bed and their feet in the middle. Make sense?

I also considered (and sort of wished we had) getting two cribs, taking one of the sides off and connecting them together so that you had a big square bed.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page