Bedrest question - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you have to go on bedrest? If so, when?
No bedrest for me! 42 46.15%
0-12 weeks 3 3.30%
13-20 weeks 13 14.29%
21-24 weeks 4 4.40%
25-28 weeks 9 9.89%
29-32 weeks 10 10.99%
33-36 weeks 4 4.40%
Other 6 6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you have to have any bedrest with you multiple pregnancy? I'm really worried about bedrest, so I wanted to see if it was common or not.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#2 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM

No bedrest, though my boys were born at 35w1d. (Exactly 1 day after the point at which my OB would not attempt to intervene and stop labor).

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#3 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM

i'm almost 12 weeks and supposed to 'take it easy' so i don't have to go on bedrest. :-( i'm having blood pressure problems. it goes down when i relax, but goes high high when i try to run errands with the kids or do real housework. i had no idea i would have problems this early. sucks.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#4 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 PM

From 27-34 weeks due to cervical shortening.
I was sprung from bedrest at 34 weeks but took it easy until 35 weeks, and they were born 38w3d.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#5 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 PM

My mw requested I take it easy during the last 2-3 months but I was never on bedrest. I took it as easy as possible considering I had 2 young children to tend to and a dh who works 24 hour shifts.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#6 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 PM

none for us--delivered at 38 weeks exactly
#7 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 PM

No bedrest, but I quit work at 26 weeks (reduced my stress). I still went for walks and swimming until 40 weeks, at which point PUPPs rash made my life hell. Delivered at 42 weeks.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#8 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Bedrest for me because of dilation. I was on bedrest from 28 weeks to 34 weeks. It was hard as I have an older child, but we got through it!
#9 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 AM

From 33-36 weeks because I was having frequent contractions. We just wanted to get to the home birth zone. It was 'modified bedrest' not strict bedrest.

They were born at 38 weeks 5 days.
#10 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 AM

I didn't do bedrest. BUt from about 34 weeks on, I guess it would've looked that way considering I didn't do much but walk from bed to mat on the floor to bathroom to kitchen and back.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#11 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 AM

With triplets, I was on 'modified bedrest' from weeks 15-25 but was able to continue working, with limited standing and walking and no lifting. From weeks 25-32, I was on bedrest at home due to cervical shortening, and when it shortened even further, I was on hospital bedrest from weeks 32-34. My cervix held out, but I delivered at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome.
#12 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 AM

I spent 23 weeks on bedrest. The placenta of twin A tore at 13 weeks and one day. I spent 4 days in the hospital getting blood transfusions and waiting for the bleeding to slow down. I was on strict bed rest until baby A reached one pound, that was the weight the doctor said that could put enough pressure on the placenta. I came off bed rest at about week 22 for a total of 3 days. I started bleeding again, had contractions, and baby B was stressing. At week 24 they started steriod treatments just in case. By week 28 baby B was normal except measuring small for age. I stayed on bedrest until 35 weeks 6 days and had my twins at 36 weeks. One had underdeveloped lungs, this was baby A the one whose placenta had torn in half, and spent time in the nicu. Baby B was small with no fat on him at all and although his lungs were developed he was developmentally not a 36 weeker.
#13 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 AM

I voted "other" because while I was in bed in the hospital for six weeks, it wasn't due to contractions or cervical shortening or anything. It was to continuously monitor the babies for cord accidents, as they were monoamniotic. So I didn't have the normal movement restrictions that moms on bedrests have.

I like to say that the babies were on bedrest, and I was just tagging along.
#14 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 AM

I was taken off from work at 35 1/2 weeks, and placed on 'bed rest' for contractions/dilation. When I saw my OB at 36 weeks, I asked her to at least let me out of the house to go to the store! I called it 'house arrest'! I had my boys at 37w 5 days.

I'm an Emergency Room nurse .... I modified my work schedule some along the way, too .... at 28 weeks, I did nothing but triage pts out front. At 32 weeks, I went to no more than 8 hours at a time. (I normally work 2 days/week, 10 hour shifts) I've thanked my co-workers and manager numerous times, since they were so good to me when I was PG. I was able to work a lot longer than anyone thought I could.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#15 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post
I like to say that the babies were on bedrest, and I was just tagging along.
that's so sweet!

I've been pretty bedridden the whole time. Initially because of hyperemesis sickness that finally responded to homeopathic treatment, but soon after all the aches and pains and braxton hicks kicked in, ( by 15ish weeks my uterus was 'braxtoning'!), and now I'm in to the phase where the braxtons frequently feel like early labour. I had a jelly like show yesterday but am choosing to just try and sit ( and lie down) it out at home until anything really dramatic happens. I had a show for weeks with my third child and ditto the intense contractions. Initially, ( like just a few days ago!!!), I was freaking out that labour was iminent, but hopefully if it follows the pattern for previous children then I'll go at least another few weeks.

I figure I can eat and rest better at home in a cleaner ( germ wise anyway ) environment than checking myself in to the hospital. I can skip the internals that might even contribute to problems and so on....so here I am a waiting. I've read voraciously on prem birth the last few days and written a birth plan and that has brought me to a point where I can say more 'what will be will be'.

And thank God we are just about at 28 weeks, so I'm concentrating on being grateful for that. :

ps: I've also been using homeopathic remedies to calm things down when contractions get regular and for the other niggles and complaints, so it's not entirely an uninterventional approach I'm taking iyswim.

pps: umm, that went a bit off topic. sorry!!!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#16 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM

No bedrest for me. First set was born at 39w1d. I'm 38w1d with my second set right now.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#17 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 AM

No bedrest here

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#18 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Crap! I voted wrong. I thought it was asking how many weeks of bedrest I had, not at what week I had to go on bedrest.

I went on bedrest at 27 weeks for 7 weeks because of PTL. The boys were born at 34w3d. I think if you are prepared for the possibility it's not so bad and if you're an introvert who needs a break from work anyway I'd be looking forward to it...aside from the constant worry that your babies are going to fall out!

My problem came in that I was planning to work up to 36 weeks and my thoughts on bedrest were "Oh, that won't happen to me!" And when it did I was totally unprepared and scared. My other problem was that my husband was gone 15 hours a day and I had no family nearby so that made it hard. But I had my little routines everyday and loved it some days, hated it others.

What I would give for some bedrest now!
#19 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleheather79 View Post
No bedrest for me. First set was born at 39w1d. I'm 38w1d with my second set right now.

At this point woman, you DESERVE some good bed rest!
#20 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM

off topic here, but purple heather, you are awesome!!!! can't wait to get more updates! sending peaceful birthing energy your way....
#21 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM

with the surro twins I went into early labor at 30 weeks and spent the rest of the time on bedrest. strict bedrest with a trib pump attached to my leg.

I delivered the twins at 38 weeks

two girls .. Twins A weighed in at 5 lbs 7 oz and Twin B was 6 pounds even.

C-section both breach babies and it was in my contract to obey drs orders

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#22 of 49 Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM

I'm at 32 weeks right now and - knock on wood - there has been no mention of bedrest at all yet. I'm not sure what I would do with my toddler if I got put on strict bedrest?!

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#23 of 49 Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I voted Other. My doctors never ordered me to go on bedrest, but I was so uncomfortable at work that I put myself on "couch rest" at 35 weeks. Before that I was taking a nap on my lunch hour every day.

I delivered at 39 weeks; the babies weighed 8 pounds each.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#24 of 49 Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM

With triplets, I was told to take it easy from the end of the 1st trimester, but my body was stricter about that than my doctor. I was never on bedrest at home, but rested a lot. I was admitted for hospital bedrest at just over 32 weeks because the blood flow to my IUGR baby was shifting into the dangerous realm. I don't think the doctor would have admitted me except she knew that I wouldn't stick to full bedrest at home with a wild and crazy 3.5 year old at home. I had two days of bedrest before the doctor decided that things were bad enough that my little guy had to be delivered.

When my doctor put me on bedrest, she said that I shouldn't count on it helping to make things better for my little guy, but if we could get a few more days for the babies without problems, it would be good for them.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#25 of 49 Old 09-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Can I just say what a nerd i am b/c I LOVE polls!!!! Love them!

Anyhoo, no bedrest here.....but I wasn't moving too much in those last few weeks

DS-10, DS-8, DS-5 and B/G twins- born 5/08 all lovingly born
#26 of 49 Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 PM

I was put on bedrest at 18w, which was when I found out I was having twins, because they had chronic TTTS. It was fairly modified; I went out probably 3x/week, but I didn't have any other kids at the time. In retrospect, it was the time of my life! I read books, watched movies, and napped.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#27 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 AM

I started modified bedrest at about 18 weeks because I'd already started having hard, regular contractions every evening. I was up for a few hours every morning, but after noon, I was off my feet and in bed or on the couch. I went through the same with DD1, but that started later-- about 30 weeks. I delivered my first DS prematurely, so I had a history of preterm delivery so we took contractions pretty seriously.

According to the peri, I should have been on full-time bedrest, but I had a two year old and no help all day, so that was clearly out of the question.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#28 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM

I went on modified bedrest at 25 weeks as a precaution. I was perfectly happy to do so. I had a stressful job with a long railroad/subway/walking commute and late nights at a moments' notice. I ended up going into PTL at 27 weeks and did 2 weeks of hospital bedrest (medicated) before having my babies at 29 weeks.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#29 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM

No bedrest for us, but I slept 10-14 hours a day and barely left the house the last 4 weeks. So I don't know what you would call that .

My boys were born at 37w6d.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#30 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 PM

I went on bed rest at like 27 weeks (I was on br for 3.5 months and delivered at 37w3d, so you can do the math )

I had to go on because of TTTS and general low birth weight. They where born at 4#11oz and 3#3oz, and perfectly healthy.

Just a little extra unsolicited advice... don't worry about things that aren't a problem! Enjoy your pregnancy and worry about things as/if they turn up.

I was so tired at the end anyway it was probably a good thing.

Single mom to twin boys ('06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page