Would you UC with twins? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you UC with twins.
No, but I wouldn't UC a singleton either. 51 36.96%
No, but I would consider UC if it were a singleton. 29 21.01%
Maybe, if I could have prenatal monitoring and a midwife on hand just in case. 25 18.12%
Maybe, if I could have prenatal monitoring (no midwife at birth). 5 3.62%
Maybe UP and UC if things seemed okay. 9 6.52%
Yes, definitely. 14 10.14%
Other (I tried to be comprehensive! Really I did!) 5 3.62%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't. But I had pre-term labor, a baby in distress during pushing (due to malpresentation due to twin pregnancy and his descending to +2 at 24 weeks), a c section, and said baby requiring CPR and then a hospital stay due to temp regulation issues. So my experience colors my perceptions. I think had I had a midwife/homebirth situation we could have transfered and things would have been ok.
But UC?
I would at a minimum want to know the presentation and whether the babies shared a placenta (or forbid the thought an amniotic sac). The latter would be impossible to determine with a complete UC. So my vote is no.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#62 of 65 Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tigress View Post
My nutrition was wonderful during my pregnancy, and that probably contributed to the fact that my boys were born at about 4 lbs (3 lbs 12 oz. and 4 lbs 4 oz.) at 30 weeks 6 days.
I just have to say those ARE really good weights. My 33-weekers were 4 lb., 3 oz. and 4 lb., 7 oz, so one of your 30-weekers was bigger than one of my 33-weekers! Wow, I bet those weights made the NICU experience easier on them. (NOT saying any NICU experience was easy - on them or you; just that it had to have helped them be more comfortable to have a bit more weight and resources at that early age.) Way to go!
#63 of 65 Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
The low iron perspective came from the point of view that the body knows it needs to bleed less with lower iron levels and kicks in from itself to prevent pph, but I hear you on the recovery.

I guess that makes sense that the body would do that. I don't know what my hemoglobin was at their birth but it had been 10 a couple months before and basically I did nothing to raise it so I assume it was probably even lower than that, especially based on the way I was feeling towards the end. It was 6.5 after I hemoraged and my mw said I really did not bleed that bad, she had had women bleed much worse and have much higher hemoglobins than that so we assumed I was pretty low before the birth.
#64 of 65 Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
I know Chantel had a lowish level so was wondering if she could verify anything along those lines from the practical experience of her midwives?
I was a 9 going into the birth. I did NOT have a PPH. My MW told me that it's not the low iron that causes the PPH but rather that it's much harder to recover from if you have such low iron stores.

I've not heard that low iron can actually prevent PPH. I'll have to ask my MW/preceptor to see what she thinks about that. Very intriguing idea. I do tend to think that nature protects us in birth as much as possible and often things that look "abnormal" have a purpose (like the amount of iron in breast milk is crazy low but it's so effective and well absorbed it's perfect for the infant...but is still often deemed "not enough" by medical professionals).
#65 of 65 Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I've only seen one instance where it was clear that somebody was saying that she had a perfect pregnancy and birth because of what she did, and not due to any luck at all.
That's so naive. We can eat perfect, do whatever we feel is best and still have preemies or birth complications, etc.

For me, I did the best I could and hoped for the best. What else is there to do?!?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page