Success without a crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-09-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 month old twins that sleep either in bed with us or in a pac n play next to the bed. At some point I do plan to transition them into their bedroom and I haven't decided what to put them in. My first daughter never slept in a crib- just a mattress on the floor. Has anyone had success with this with multiples? I know every kid is different, but I'm curious as to others' experiences. Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Lurking:

My sister had her twins and didn't use a crib. She mainly co-slept and then put them on a queen mattress on the floor. Cribs/playpens made her kids mad.
#3 of 9 Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
One of my twins always sleeps in a bed. One naps in her crib and starts the night in her crib. They are 14 months. During naps I just shut the bedroom door so when she (the bed sleeper) wakes she either knocks on the door or cries/calls out and I open it.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#4 of 9 Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 PM

My twins will be 2 1/2 this month and have never slept in a crib and never will. I'm planning to begin their transition to their own beds, which will be twin size beds. I don't expect a fast transition - I'm hoping that by 3 yo they'll at least start the night in their own room but I figure I'll work on naptime there first. Anyway, I think it's totally possible to skip a crib.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#5 of 9 Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 PM

My twins are 13 mo and in bed with us. I thought they'd be in a crib by now but they do just fine on the bed even for naps. We have a pack n play that they play in and occasionally doze off in so we may just use that if we have to in a pinch. We live in a small space and cribs take up a lot of room!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#6 of 9 Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We don't have a crib. The boys are now 21 months old.

Right now, they still sleep with us in the king-size bed about 80% of the time. This is largely because it's very hard to get them to sleep without them nursing right into la-la land. About 15% of the time, we get them to sleep on our living room couches. They stay there until they wake up (about 50-50 whether that's all night or until apx 2am).

We have noticed that they sleep much longer if they aren't in bed with me - no milk smell. The remaining 5% of the time, one or both are in the queen-sized bed with 3.5-year-old brother. Same as couch scenario for how long they last in that bed. This seems to be going well.

As the next several months pass, I see that we'll just be shifting to more nights in the bed with their brother. And like Cinderella said, "A dream is a wish your heart makes. . . " My heart is holding out for the day we can actually put them in that queen-sized bed while they are AWAKE, and then leave the room! I love the family bed, but sometimes I get a little tired of the night nursing.

BTW: It's 2:23am. This is one of the rare nights that the bed is kid-free. Twins fell asleep in our bed with DH while I was at a meeting. I moved both of them into brother's bed; neither woke up (!) So now I could stretch all I want, but I'm far too awake. sigh. . . Where's the justice?

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#7 of 9 Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 AM

^^^ LOL

Yes, it's the milk smell! If they happen to fall asleep on the floor mat, they sleep longer, because if they stir and don't smell the milk close by sometimes they just go back to sleep. The longest stretch they'll do though is maybe 3 hr if I"m lucky.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 9 Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM

We've got twin 14 month olds. Never used a crib. But they still cosleep with us.
#9 of 9 Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM

Our 16 mos old twins have always slept with us. DH, the babes and I share a queen plus a twin mattress shoved together on the floor. I'm in no rush to move them into their own beds. I feel like a big ol' mama bear snuggling my cubs--nothing is sweeter than two sleeping babes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page