Do your 2 yr-old twins nap in the same room? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so as I'm sure most of you have experienced/are experiencing/will experience, we spent most of the twins first year dealing with sleep: co-sleeping, exclusively breast-feeding, try to get on a similar schedule, night-wakings, only napping for 20 minutes at a time, etc. By 15-18 mos. we had it pretty well resolved. The twins, now 25 mo., go to bed great (in their shared bedroom), never wake each other up, almost never wake up at night, nap consistently everyday for about 1 1/2 hr., etc.

Somehow, and I can't even remember how or why it ended up like this, we separated them for nap time. DS sleeps in his crib in their room and DD sleeps in a pac-n-play in our bedroom. This has worked out fine. They are ready for their nap each day, go in w/o hesitation and go down fine. If they're not super sleepy I'll hear them talking to themselves or playing in the cribs for a while before they fall asleep.

Ok, so now why I'm writing: DD just climbed out of her pac-n-play, walked into the living room and said "I wanna play". This has never happened before. Luckily, I took her back in and asked her if she wanted to sleep in mama's bed today and she did! She actually fell right asleep in there. I think this was more bc she was actually very tired, I can't see this working out every day. I think with the freedom to get out of the bed, she would.

So, my question is: should I try to have them nap together in their bedroom (each in their crib) or is it too late to make this change? As I said, they do it fine at night, but I suspect that at naptime they might just keep each other up.

The other thing driving this is that we are expecting a new baby in Feb. and I think it will be a little hectic trying to have three separate napping areas going on! Also, the baby will be sleeping in our bedroom for quite some time so DD will have to relocate to another room for her nap anyway (we can't fit our bed, the co-sleeper, & a pac-n-play in there). So I'm thinking maybe now's a good time to try to get the twins napping in one room together?

Sorry this is such a ramble. Any experiences with this type of situation would be great. I'm really not ready for them to give up their naps and I really would love to have them sleeping during the day for at least a little bit when the baby comes.

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#2 of 10 Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM

Mine (also 25 mos old) nap together in the same room (same bed) and have for quite a long time (we had a short period around 10 mos or so where they had to be in different rooms). Though, I lie down with them until they are asleep. If one wakes up earlier than the other, it's usually no big deal--they come out quietly to see me. *Usually!*

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#3 of 10 Old 09-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Mine will be 3 on Saturday, and have napped in the same room for the last year or so. It usually works well. Occasionally, if one of them seems less tired or is being really rambunctious, I will put one of them on our bed in our room.

At their babysitter's house she puts them in separate rooms. She had a hard time getting them to nap when they were together. They are only there once a week, so I attribute this to being in an unfamiliar place. As long as they are separated they nap great there.

I've found that the times they keep each other up are when one or both of them are simply not tired enough. Also, keeping the room as dark as possible so it is more like bedtime seems to help.

Trying to get my bearings...
#4 of 10 Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 PM

Mine nap in the same room. They have always napped together but moved to separate cribs in their own room around 20 months. Before that they were in my bed.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#5 of 10 Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Mine have always been together. At nap time they will chit chat with each other for about 30 mins then fall asleep. It works out great for us!

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#6 of 10 Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 AM

If simply placed in a room, mine party. Alot, lol.

Lately I've been skipping nap and letting them drop where they may and THEN moving them into a bed.

They've always slept in the same room. We frankly have no choice, we're out of spaces to put them.
#7 of 10 Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Mine have napped together since they were a year old. Sometimes they are not tired and they'll chat and jump in their cribs for awhile and then sleep, sometimes one is tired enough that the other's chatter doesn't keep him awake. Usually they both go in with no problems, lay down, and go to sleep. We mix it up occasionally too - they can lay in my bed or on the couch. Neither usually wakes up early or wakes the other one up. I say give it a shot.
#8 of 10 Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Mine have always napped in the same room, because the only other choice was to have one nap in my room, and that would mean I couldn't get anything done in there during that naptime. Now that they are 2.5 and in the same bed, I usually have to lie down with them to get them to settle down for a nap. I lie in the middle and sssh them when they start to act up, and in 10-15 minutes they are out and I slip away. Of course, somehow my 21-year-old babysitter tells them "hey guys, it's naptime!" and they climb in bed, she kisses them, and they go to sleep. So unfair.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#9 of 10 Old 09-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Mine started napping in the same room when their little sister came along, I had the same problem you do

If they don't nap well together though, you can always just put the baby in the living room or something in the beginning. My twins pretty much dropped their nap by 3, so by the time the baby needs a seperate room you might find the twins aren't napping much anymore or are okay with a quiet time in their room.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#10 of 10 Old 09-20-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your responses. My DH has been home with the kids all weekend because I am taking a class and he was brave enough to try them in the same room together--so far its been working out great. No problems going down and still sleeping for about 1.5 hrs. Now I guess the real test will be when I am back with them on Monday!

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page