For those of you who work outside the home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious when you either chose to give up working outside the home or were advised by your care provider to stay home...I was shocked today when my OB told me he tells his patients to quit work at 28 weeks...yikes, I thought I had waaay more time than that! Now, he did admit that he had no scientific basis for this...just his opinion.

I have a job that has me sitting most of the day (though the walk from the parking lot is not so fun these days), so I was hoping to go until around 33 weeks. I also find that I'm more tired when I'm at home...laundry, playing with 2 children, cooking, etc...I get more of a break at work!

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM

I think it was about 30 weeks that I gave up my work, but I am a massage therapist, and it got HARD to not only bend over the table, but also to not bump my belly into my clients CONSTANTLY!!! I have mostly regular clients, thankfully, and they joke about it now But I was ready to be done and put my energy towards getting life in order before I welcomed two little beings into the world. I did keep up my power yoga class for a long time, as I really did well with it. But walking was hard for me, as my sacrum went loosey goosey in the first trimester. I could see continuing to work if I had a chance to be sitting, but I had A LOT of stuff to do to get ready for these babies....so, for me, 28/30 weeks is a good time to stop.
#3 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 09:37 PM

I did not work outside the home but I worked HARD within it (Isabella was only 8 months old when I got pregnant with the twins) and I was for sure slowing WAAAAY down at 28-30 weeks. I'd have to look back in my blog archives to see when exactly but I think it was around that time that my midwife asked me to really cute back on the heavy cleaning like scrubbing floors and laundry and such. I also stopped the kids activites because we were running too much of the day and I was hurting at night.

Take care of you, Mama.
#4 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 PM

I stopped working at 23 weeks. I was having long bouts of contractions every night, and decided on my own that I needed to be off my feet. Granted, I have a history of preterm labor and birth, so I played it really safe.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM

Yep, I just went back and read my archives and it was about 27-28 weeks when I really had to start taking it easy and about 30-32 weeks that I started to have some serious contractions. I carried them to 39 weeks.
#6 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The OB I first saw said "everyone with twins off work at 28 weeks". I don't know the opinions of the two I saw later: I was already off work on long-term disability.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#7 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Oh yeah, and I had PROM at 35 weeks with DD1 (and delivered then), so I was REALLY trying hard to not have the twins early. If you start reading the "protein" threads on this board, you will realize that eating alone becomes full-time work, and I also did supplements, so I was pretty busy
#8 of 25 Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
If you start reading the "protein" threads on this board, you will realize that eating alone becomes full-time work, and I also did supplements, so I was pretty busy
:

I was planning on working till 32 weeks, but I actually stopped working at 26 weeks, as I was having some spells of BH contractions, and I was quite tired. My midwife and OB kept telling me that I should nap during the day, or at least lay down, which obviously wasn't going to happen at work. Once I quit working, the stress on my body reduced drastically! It was heavenly. And it was nice to have a lot of 'down time' before the twins were outside of my womb

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#9 of 25 Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ2+2 View Post
I have a job that has me sitting most of the day (though the walk from the parking lot is not so fun these days), so I was hoping to go until around 33 weeks.
Well, a big part of what most people need to do in the end of a twin pregnancy is lying on your side to keep the pressure of the babies' heads off your cervix, since this is what often leads to those spells of contractions. So, unless your job involves a lot of horizontal time and can be done with you lying on your side on a cot you wheel into the office, you may end up needing to get out of work a little sooner. There is no sure fire way to prevent preterm labor, but I've heard more than one twin mom who had preterm labor say that she wishes she had taken the doctor's or midwife's recommendation to stop work early, take it a little easier, and get some horizontal time more seriously.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#10 of 25 Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....I'm glad I asked...maybe I can believe him (on that account at least!). I think I will likely negotiate a modified schedule, either only 2-3 days per week and/or limit the hours. I also can do a ton of work from home, with horizontal time in between. I've had many BH yet (funny, I did have them around 14 weeks but they seem to have all but disappeared for now). And while I do work in a hospital there are usually no empty beds to lay around in!

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#11 of 25 Old 09-25-2008, 04:21 PM

My OB recommended modified bedrest starting at 25 weeks. I was able to negotiate with my job to WAH about 20 hours a week. I went into PTL and hospital bedrest at 27 weeks, though, so that didn't last long.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#12 of 25 Old 09-26-2008, 12:09 AM

I'm an ER nurse, and was working 20-30 hours per week when I was PG with the boys. At 14 weeks, the 'gloom and doom' OB that I saw when we discovered we were having twins told me I needed to prepare to stop working. Not sure how I was supposed to pay my bills, but anyway ....

I continued working until 35 1/2 weeks. I requested to be put in triage only at about 26 weeks .. sitting down, but STILL busy. At 30 weeks, I requested that I only work no more than 8 hour shifts. (I normally work 10 hours)

At 35 1/2 weeks, I was having contractions, and on an internal exam, had started to dilate/efface. I was PO'ed about having to stop working, but in hindsight, I'm really glad my OB took me off work. I could hardly walk by that point. I had the last 2 weeks at home to chill out and relax a bit.
Had my babies at 37 1/2 weeks ... both over 6 lbs!

I read all the stuff about stopping work early, and it really irritated me, for a number of reasons.
With my prior PGs, I had worked up until the day before delivery, without issue, and just couldn't fathom that I wasn't going to be able to do that again.
Financially ... we would have been bankrupt, and without medical insurance if I wasn't able to work.
For my sanity ... I needed to get out of the house, and work!

Having said all this .... I credit my husband, and my co-workers for helping to continue working as long as I did. Brett made sure I had PLENTY to eat, and my co-workers 'watched out' over me at work as well.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#13 of 25 Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 AM

I guess I am the odd woman out. My husband and I run a store and we are the only two there and are open seven days a week. WHne one of us was at the store, the other was home with our DS. I cut back as I got farther into my pregnancy, but I worked three days for about six hours each day the week before I had the twins. When I started getting too tired, I worked less hours, then I stopped working the weekends all together since that is when we were really busy. I delivered at 38 weeks and was never really on bed rest. I was prepared though to have to stay home and in bed because I was determined to keep those baies in there. I never really did have too many BHs. I think it is important to be aware of what your body is telling you. and if, like many of the previous post, you are exhausted and having contractions, then by all means STOP working, but if everything feel good, keep doing what you can
#14 of 25 Old 09-26-2008, 01:56 AM

I worked until the friday I went into labor at 38 weeks. I went into labor at 3 am. The babies came out at 6. I went home the next day and stopped by the office on the way home to collect the time cards to process payroll.
*Much to my husbands chagrin*
#15 of 25 Old 09-27-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
I'm an ER nurse, and was working 20-30 hours per week when I was PG with the boys. At 14 weeks, the 'gloom and doom' OB that I saw when we discovered we were having twins told me I needed to prepare to stop working. Not sure how I was supposed to pay my bills, but anyway ....
The 'you-must stop working by __ wks' advice always irritated me too. I think most proclaimations, esp. in obstetrics, are at best recommendations. My MWs (CNM who now only attend hospital births) advised me to wait and see. Some women do fantastic and others have pre-term labor, swelling, or other issues that actually warrant stopping working.

Now if you can stop working and it won't affect your mat leave or you can afford it (by taking no pay or you have a disability policy), use the 'advice' to your advantage

For me, I worked until 3 days before my scheduled c/s for placenta previa at 38 wks 5 days. I felt great. Had no dialation, no contractions, no bleeding, nada. I had one almost 6 lber and one almost 7 lber. I also had a desk job and drank gallons of water, put my feet up under my desk if needed, and really listened to my body (ex. if I was tired at 6 pm, I went to sleep and DH dealt with older DD).

So my advice if you need or want to keep working is to take good care of yourself, be aware you may need to stop, but wait and see.
#16 of 25 Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 PM

I worked till about 22 weeks I think.

Even though I "just" had a desk job and no other children at home, I was exhuasted, brain dead and walking more than a few paces would start to give me contractions. It was hard just to get from my car in the parking lot to my desk.

After I quit work, I took it really easy at home and was never on formal bedrest, though I couldn't walk or stand for any period of time. I delivered at 39 weeks.

You'll know what feels right -- as you can see from the responses to your post, there is a lot of variation in what worked for different women.
#17 of 25 Old 09-28-2008, 05:58 PM

I stopped working at 27 weeks. I was a teacher and always on my feet, although I did try to sit as much as possible (but stupidly felt like I should continue doing hall duty, etc.) I went into preterm labor at 29 weeks with no prior experience of BH or contractions. I delivered 12 days labor after being on bed rest. Twins are tricky-- we may think we have a bit more control over the situation but we don't. I highly recommend taking it easy. I was actually following my own advice and had not been working for a couple of weeks. Of course, I did regularly walk more than 2 miles at a time at a decent gait...

Take it easy, ladies!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#18 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM

I quit working at 37w6d when my peri told me he was going to induce that night. They never made any mention of stopping work and going on bed rest. My job involves field work and report writing, so I was able to do all of my field work at the beginning of my pregnancy, then stayed in the office to write reports from about 29 weeks on. I have a 3yo, so I was still fairly active trying to keep up with him

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#19 of 25 Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My doctors did not advise bedrest for me, but I put myself on "couch rest" at 35 weeks. I have a desk job, but I could barely reach my keyboard over my belly. Up to that point I usually laid down for a nap in the ladies' lounge at work at lunchtime (since I was eating throughout the day anyway).

I delivered at 39 weeks.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#20 of 25 Old 10-03-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I asked about this! After getting over the shock I've actually decided to quit working on-site at 29 weeks...I am getting t-i-r-e-d already and am realizing that it's really just not worth trucking into work everyday. I have a number of projects that I can work on from home after that, along with keeping in touch via email...I'll do that for a few weeks I think and then go on sick leave until the babies arrive. I only have this one chance to cook these babies good and work will always be there! I feel pretty lucky to live in a country that supports a 1-year maternity leave (and an employer that "tops up" that benefit for 6 months)

Cheers,
Tammy

#21 of 25 Old 10-04-2008, 12:20 AM

I stopped working at around 28-ish weeks, IIRC. No one told me to stop working, but it just felt right. I am/was a psychologist & felt like I had to have a planned stopping time with my patients; I was not planning to return to work so to just suddenly stop one week was not acceptable. I work with kids, so while it was an office job, there was a lot of up and down and a fair amount of activity. I could have worked longer, though. I was never on bedrest. Never had contractions (ever for that matter -- had a C-section at 37 weeks because of preeclampsia and a breech presentation in twin A.) No cervical shortening. I was just tired. Took a 2 hour nap everyday and couldn't really think toward the end. I love to read and I didn't a single book those last 10 weeks. All I did was gestate.

If you have the kind of job where you don't need a planned in advance stopping time and it's not physically strenuous, just go with how you feel. Check in honestly with yourself about whether you're doing too much.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#22 of 25 Old 10-04-2008, 02:32 AM

woops, one should not post when one is running on no sleep! Wrong thread!
#23 of 25 Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 AM

I stopped at 31.5 weeks. I could have gone longer but the drive (55 miles each way) was giving me contractions. Not sure if it was that it was a manual or the bumps in the road or what. My Dr. gave me the option to stop working at 28 weeks also, I think that is the standard for Dr.'s with multiple pregnancy. I went up until my scheduled c-section 38 weeks, without ever having a real contraction. I remember I was not working but I felt pretty good...other than the terrible itching on my stretchmarks, I think I've blocked that out until I see the 10 different kinds of anti-itch creams in the closet my dh bought me.
#24 of 25 Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 AM

I started working half days probably around 29 weeks just because I was so tired. Then I ended up delivering at 32 weeks so it didn't last long.
#25 of 25 Old 10-19-2008, 12:49 AM

I have a desk job, though I do have to walk down hallways and carry heavy files. I cut back on hours at 34 weeks, and meant to stop working altogether at 36. Ended up having a couple of babies at exactly 36 weeks. My boss started walking down to MY office around 33 weeks though, and carrying those files himself!

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page