They're running circles around me. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does it EVER get easier, with twins?

I thought the newborn stage was hard. Then I thought the teething, no-sleep, nursing around the clock stage was hard.

But man, the climbing and running away and getting into everything stage is REALLY hard. I can't keep up with them. Every time I turn around, somebody's into something and making a mess, or climbing on something, or there's another sibling battle brewing. Today they bruised up a fifteen-pound basket of apples I'd JUST picked. The whole batch won't keep, now, because DD wanted one and spilled the whole bucket. And I found four apples, each half-eaten, stashed in various places in the house. Then I found DS sitting on the dining room table AGAIN for like the fifth time in the day. Then next thing I know DD2 is flushing washcloths down the toilet. DD1 and DS had a roaring argument over her trying to play with his truck. DD2 ran away from me in a parking lot today, and DD1 chose that exact minute to have a tantrum over some minor thing I can't even remember. Neither of them will keep a diaper on. They reach right through their clothes and tear the velcro open. So DS peed all over my bed AGAIN this morning, and DD2 had an unspeakable poop incident I won't describe. Then...

You get the picture. I get one situation contained, and WHAM the next one is on me. I really thought my babyproofing was adequate; it was good enough with DD1. But twins are another story. I have to be at the top of my game literally 24 hours a day, or they run circles around me. At least now I can take them outside in the yard and let them blow off some steam harmlessly. I don't know what I'm going to do in the winter.

Yikes. I am so tired at the end of the day that I collapse. And honestly, I do think my kiddos are mellower than most. I can't imagine how those of you with genuinely high-need toddlers manage.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#2 of 3 Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wellllll. . . in reading your post, I kinda' feel like this:

:

but I guess this:

would probably be more appreciated right now!

My twins are only slightly older than yours, so I can well-commiserate. They are climbers completely unlike our three older busy babies were!

I dunno, if they are that insistent on tearing their diapes off, are they early potty trainers? My neighbours kids basically trained themselves around 18 months. It certainly isn't unheard of.

Yep, how many pieces of fruit with only one bite taken can a single household contain!? BTDT, still doing that.

And ditto on the WHAM: yesterday one of my little monkeys shook most of a box of oreo crumbs all over the dirty kitchen floor. Barely was that cleaned up and the other had righted a chair - a recent mastery (We lay all kitchen chairs down when not in use to slow their access to the counters). Twin on the counter had dumped a full bowl of sugar onto the counter, several items, and clean dishes drying in the sink. There was probably about 40 grapes squished into the floor in various rooms of the house, thanks to DD#1's less-than-careful efforts to give the twins a snack. . . I don't even remember what happened prior to 5pm yesterday.

I don't want to belittle the sheer exhaustion of needing to be so alert to so many possible messes/accidents/boo-boos etc each day. But I think keeping my attitude in check has been a lot more "bang for the buck" than trying to extreme baby-proof the house. I just work hard to lower my housecleaning standards, remember my boys are bright, busy, healthy and had no pre-term problems etc that are more prevalent in multiples. I just keeping telling myself, "Well if managing a day with these fantastic little babies is the worst thing I have to deal with. . ." I'm not usually one for sappy sentiments, but this is so true.

Hang in there.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#3 of 3 Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no advice, but mama I'm with you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page