can we have a twin pregnancy chat thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a million questions for other moms pg with twins and the more seasoned twin moms. anyone else care to join in? post your questions or answers! :

how far "ahead" did you measure? did it slow down at some point? i am 15 weeks now and my fundal height is over 30 cm.

what did you do for maternity clothes at the end? i am wearing under the belly pants, but shirts are already becomming a problem. i have a really long torso and i only have one maternity shirt that fits and covers my belly. i had the same problem last pregnancy, but not until like 35 weeks.

did you end up needing a seatbelt extension? this hadn't even occured to me before, but i saw mention on a blog of not being able to buckle their seatbelt anymore. yikes!

did you buy/aquire premie clothes before your twins were born?

did you tandem nurse in public? i never got the hang of this with my older 2 (14 months apart) but it seems like with two newborns i should figure it out or spend all my time nursing.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

also, what kind fo help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help? i have no idea what we are gonna need.

#3 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Measurements vary a TON depending on how the babies are lying. I know women who barely measured ahead at all and others who measured over 60 cm I was just over 40 cm when the babies were born at 30 weeks 6 days (weighing 3 lb 12 oz and 4 lb 4 oz).

I have never tandem nursed in public, but I rarely do at home either. Of course my babies take like 5 minutes to nurse so it's not a big deal. I can't imagine tandeming little ones in public though.

I had preemies and I recommend against preemie clothes. They just aren't worth it IMO. My guys came home at around 5 lbs (one over, one under). They were in newborn clothes for a bit, then 0-3 month. They grow quickly. They've been in 3-6 month clothes for a while. Definitely don't buy preemie clothes yourself; if people give them as gifts, that's one thing, but IMO it's a waste of money. Actually even the neonatologists said that to us.

I had DH home for a bit in the beginning, and that was enough. He was mostly helping with DS1, doing laundry, etc. MIL came and cooked some for the freezer and fridge. Other than that we were good. It's later on that I think help is more useful. Like now when they are 5 months old I could really use laundry and cooking help lol
#4 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM

I have triplets, not twins, but some of the same information applies!

My measurements varied, though I was always ahead. I was measuring 44cm at 30 weeks, but I was very wide (even more than usual ). They spread sideways as much as they could, and at one point all 3 were transverse, on top of one another.

I had a "head start" during pregnancy because I lost 30 pounds right before conceiving, so I had some larger clothes to wear to work for a while. I only bought a few maternity clothes, mostly jeans. The rest of the time, I wore larger clothes, and when I was on bedrest the last 3 months, I wore lounge clothes, like yoga pants or pajama pants and t-shirts all the time.

Ours came home at a little under 5 pounds, but they wore our preemie clothes in the NICU for a week and at home for about 4 more weeks. We bought the majority at a kids' consignment store, and since they're not used long, they were in perfect shape. I think we probably spent $40-60 for all three, and they drowned in newborn clothes until they were close to 7 pounds so I think it was worth it. They still wear some preemie gowns - the miniwear gowns from BRU run larger than most other preemie clothes we had.

I started the pregnancy around 100 pounds overweight and still didn't need a seatbelt extender at 32 weeks. I was on hospital bedrest after that and I know I got much larger, but the seat belt still would have fit.

We had MANY people promise to help before they were born, but that didn't really pan out after they were home. Even my family, who promised to cook for us and help in other ways, never bothered to come over or even call to check on us, in most cases. I didn't beg anyone - I felt if they wanted to help, they would mention it after they were here, and I didn't want anyone coming over out of a feeling of obligation. The only help we've had was with meals after the babies came home from the NICU (strangers I met online were more helpful than my family!), and that is the best baby gift we could have ever received! I don't have older kids, so I realize our situation was very different. DP went back to work when they were 2 weeks old, and I've been home alone with them during the day since then.
#5 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 PM

I have a LOT of info on my blog in my signature. I blogged the whole enchilada from the time the test turned positive to the time we found out it was twins until the moment they were born (both in labor and about an hour after they were BORN!) til now.

how far "ahead" did you measure? did it slow down at some point? At 20 weeks I was 28cm and I ended up at 50cm exactly. I was usually 10-11 ahead and stayed there. I gained a consistant 1-2 cm a week most weeks.

what did you do for maternity clothes at the end? I wore these pants from Motherhood Maternity:

http://www.motherhood.com/mastercate...3&ViewAll=true

They ROCKED! I got them one size too big and didn't really run out of room in them until the very, VERY end (like, 37 weeks). I used sundresses as tops!

did you end up needing a seatbelt extension? Nope! But I couldn't drive at the end anyway. I couldn't put much pressure on the pedals from the SPD.

I did, just in case. Ben was too big for them but Claire wore a few pieces for a couple weeks. She was 6.6 and dropped to 5.14. He was 7.6 and dropped to 6.14.

did you tandem nurse in public? Uh, no! We just switched off. Thankfully, Claire would take a paci for a bit.

also, what kind fo help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help? I had around the clock help for the first week, which was good because I felt like I'd been run over by a truck (and I had a very gentle home birth). Recovering from having two people inside of me was really hard. They cooked meals, did laundry, and chased the bigger kids. Then I had a week on my own with very LOW expectations and then my mom came for another week. After that it was just us! I heart my crockpot and my laundry is always insane! We did sposies until just recently when I got it together again.
#6 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 PM

how far "ahead" did you measure? did it slow down at some point?

I believe I measured about 4 weeks ahead at 12 weeks and it moved up to about 6 weeks ahead for awhile and by the end it was something like 13 weeks ahead. So I guess it only got to be a bigger gap as time went on.

what did you do for maternity clothes at the end?.

Clothes were just the worst! I just wore maternity clothes that didn't fit, including some that were supposedly made for moms carrying multiples but they were no better. It was cold my last trimester and I had my ginormous belly hanging out everywhere I went. I mostly just wore maternity yoga pants on bottom at the end or my dh's sweat pants (all worn below the belly) - they'd slide down anyway.

did you end up needing a seatbelt extension?

No.

I bought 1 premie girl's gown simply b/c I could only find it in the premie size and I loved it so much I just had to have it. I figured, being a gown, it would probably still fit a regular newborn just fine. Being that I ended up with 2 boys it was a non-issue.

did you tandem nurse in public?

Yes and I still do, although the younger they were, the more difficult this was to do and I rarely did it in public in the first year (wasn't necessary).

what kind fo help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help?

The first 3 nights after they were born my mom came and spent the night to help tend to my older two, particularly my younger dd who was 2 years 5 months at the time (she still woke during the night). Besides that there wasn't a whole lot of help from family or friends (just the occasional visitor who'd help hold the babies, etc.). My dh was home for 6 weeks I think so he was my primary support. I'm pretty sure my parents came by a lot of evenings (after work but didn't stay real late) and on Saturdays for awhile. I can't say they were there to help though - just to see/hold the babies and play with the girls (which *was* helpful but I'm a tad resentful that they didn't step it up - my mom instead pointed out that I only got what I ever wanted, blah blah blah).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#7 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 08:41 PM

With my first set I measured 57cm when I had them at 39+ weeks. With the second set I measured 54cm at 38+ weeks.

I had 2 dresses that I could still wear. And 1 nightgown. That's it.

No.

No.

Yes.

what kind fo help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help?

With my first set I had no help whatsoever. With the second set my mom visited for 2 days and my DH took 2 weeks off of work. Friends brought meals for the first 2 weeks. Then I was on my own!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#8 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 PM

I was just looking at your signature and seeing that your babies are due in March - mine were due in March of '08, and at this time last year, I didn't even know that they WERE twins!

When I found out about the twins, at 20 weeks, I was only a few centimeters ahead. I think maybe that's 'cause they just had one placenta; I don't know, but I bet the moms' whose babies each had their own measured bigger. (My pet theory!) I don't know what I measured at 33, when they were born, but I'm sure it was over 40!

Maternity yoga pants!

No.

Yes, but since our girls were monoamniotic, we knew they'd be weeks early. I liked having clothes that actually fit them when they came home, too.

Yes, but not that often. I did today, at the park. I do at church occasionally. Basically, I only do it when they're really fussy and I'm by myself. Otherwise, I have my husband hold one while I nurse the other. Tandem nursing in public is a pain, IMHO, but I almost always tandem when I'm at home. (yay EZ 2 Nurse pillow!)

Lots of help, but a bit irregular. We had folks from church bringing meals, and various people stopped by just to hold babies for awhile, so I could nap or shower.

Our situation was a bit different though, 'cause we'd already had TONS of help during my hospital stay, and then the girls' hospital stay. I'm amazed that people still had the energy and love to help after all of that, but they did!
#9 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM

Great thread.

The help after they are born is a great topic for discussion. I'm such a private person I really don't want anyone around except Dh. But I think I'm going to need help. I'm interviewing potential mother's helpers right now. Mostly for the last 30-45 days of my pregnancy when my DS is going to need some more physical activities than I'm assuming I'll be up to!

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#10 of 23 Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM

My twins aren't here yet, but I can answer some of your questions!

I've measured between 7 to 10 cm ahead since they started measuring me at 15 weeks. I'm currently 43cm and 35 wks pregnant. The growth hasn't slowed, just maintained!

what did you do for maternity clothes at the end?
I also have a long torso, so I've grown out of most of my shirts. I found a couple XL ones at Motherhood that amazingly are small enough to fit my shoulders/bust but long enough to cover the massive belly. The only pants I wear are their secret panel ones (or whatever it's called??) because they actually stay up on me and stretch enough to cover my belly. The under belly style rubs my c/s scar and bothers me and the mid-belly looks weird and most don't fit around me anymore. I wear lots of dresses these days.

Not at all. The steering wheel is starting to get close, but the seatbelt still fits just fine!

I have a few preemie onesies and I bought preemie take home outfits, but that's it. My DD came at exactly 40 weeks, was 7lbs. 4 oz., and didn't fit well into NB sized clothes for about a month, so I'm guessing these two will fit into Preemie just fine for a couple weeks.

As for after the birth, the plan is that my parents will be staying with us for a week and then my mom, dad, and MIL will be rotating staying with us (they all work and they live about 3-4 hrs away) for a few days at a time until I feel comfortable enough on my own with a toddler and two newborns (yikes!). My DH gets 10 days of paternity leave that he'll take right away and then he'll take another 10 days off after our parents are gone.

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#11 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for such thorough answers! i really appreciate you taking the time. not the kind of stuff you can read about anywhere.

#12 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 AM

I only have a second, but I remember these questions:
Yes, I do tandem in public, but I live in a very BF friendly town, and I think so highly of BFing, that I have no problem doing it in front of people. And when both babies are hungry at once, well...... it's really nice to be able to do it.
Preemie clothes: my girls were 5lbs 14 oz and 6 lbs 10 oz and I had two sets of preemie clothes that we used a lot! The caps and socks were maybe even more important. Those lasted us for a while, and then it was like somehow we missed the 0-3 clothes, probably the diapers got bigger.
Our multiples club has a free preemie loaner closet, pretty cool!
Maternity clothes-- it came down to one shirt, from one of my tiniest friends, who had a single pregnancy, and it was just a stretchy shirt. I loved the stretchy shirt, as my belly was really cute this time around. (my first it just was wide, but this was a perfect ball). So I loved showing it off I had a pair of "yoga birth" pants, that I wore ALL THE TIME!!! Stretchy stuff is best. At the end, my belly finally did start showing when my shirt rode up, but I wasn't going out much!
Don't know what I measured, but it was big all the while!
OOh, I have to go color with DD1 right now, but the help piece is huge, and I had a lot of it.
#13 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 AM

At 31 weeks I'm measuring 31cms. I feel HUGE though. Babies just seem to be hanging around transverse style.

Maternity yoga pants and long sleeved, long bodied cotton t shirts. I have a couple of suitable outfits for going outside which are viscose with a long cardigan over the top to hide some of the bulgy effect from clingy clothes
I also sometimes wear a jilbaab (long Islamic dress) to go out over my PJ's for comfort.
I love the look of these, (am hippy at heart):
http://dennyandrews.webeden.co.uk/#/kaftans/4525796878
but not in the budget atm!!!

No.

Yes. I've got 5lb clothes, as used these for a while with three of my singletons, (those born at 36, 37, 38 weeks).

watch this space....

what kind of help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help?

I think we'll be covered for food, from friends, for a couple of weeks, God willing. That happened with my fourth child and was lovely. My mil says she'll come and stay, but tends to help in the way she wants to which will probably give me more agro. than it's worth. I think I survive better on my own tbh. Not sure how my husband will be involved. My mum is local, so we'll see. In the past she's never been much involved, but I'm single this time round, and she's been far more available during the pregnancy....

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#14 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 09:18 AM

I think only three or four cm throughout... but I felt huge and I actually scared a man on the street once.

I had a very small selection of what I could wear and I just wore it all the time.

No. I also wasn't comfortable driving much at the end, either. I *could* do it, but I didn't like it.

I ended up getting some and wished I had had a few more things. My babes were 5.6 and 6.2 and slow growers and all of the ADORABLE 0-3 stuff my mom bought for summer never fit them... so I bought a few items and used them a lot. It helped me think of them as less "frail" (after my nearly 9lb singleton) to have them in clothes that fit... so these were a good purchase for me.

yes, but not often as I never figured out how to do it without showing the world a lot of skin. I did a lot of nursing in a parked car or family bathroom when out and shopping, and trading off in public.

what kind of help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help?

We asked for and received a lot of help, and every single bit of it was necessary. My DP is more private than I am, so I understand the previous poster worried about space and all... but I would suggest thinking of things you are comfortable having people do and asking specifically for those things. Bringing in meals, taking older children out for fun things (this is probably one of the most important kinds of help we had, and I think it made the transition so much smoother for our DS), folding clothes, more food... it was amazing to see how eager and willing people were to help, and how if I asked for something specific (could you come and help fold the pile of laundry, could you come and bring some cut up fruit, and you come and take DS to the park) every single person said yes. It was kind of eye opening for me -- the revelation that in so many instances people want to help other people and often just don't know how. The tables have turned and I am often in that position now of wanting to help someone and not being sure... now I just ask (can I bring you some chili for dinner) but it is great if you can be specific. Anyway -- the two biggest things were food and help for older DS. We did have a mother's helper come 2 afternoons a week that first year, mostly to do some fun stuff with DS. We had our parents in and out a bit the first month as well. We relied largely on the kindness of our "village" to get through the hard times (and still do!)
#15 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 AM

I have triplets, but some of the stuff is completely relevant for twins.

My fundal height was never measured. At one point, I did it myself just for fun and I was way ahead, but I don't remember how far. I was in maternity clothes by 8 weeks. I grew wide long before I grew out, so I looked fat for months and it wasn't until I was almost 6 months along that I was clearly pregnant. by which time I was enormous. My rib cage expanded dramatically, so that helped the illusion of fat, not pregnant.

I got to 33 weeks, and went through 3 sizes of "maternity" clothes. By the end, I was wearing maternity yoga pants below my belly one size larger than my first set of maternity clothes and plus size shirts 4 sizes larger than my prepregnancy size. I needed the real tent effect of the huge shirts because the maternity shirts had nothing like enough stretch high under my rib cage. And, I couldn't find any pants that would go over my belly.

I never needed a seatbelt extension.

My MIL bought a few preemie clothes for us right when they were born. They got quite a lot of use and it was a huge day for us when my 2 1/2 pounder grew out of the preemie clothes.

Nursing didn't work out for us, but I had certainly planned on tandem nursing in public as soon as they got the hang of it.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#16 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mostly 6 to 8cm ahead from 24 weeks on. At the end I was 56cm.

Someone gave me XXXL Old Navy tshirts and I lived in those or non maternity tanks. Pants/shorts - I just ended up with those under the tummy.

did you end up needing a seatbelt extension? no but it was hard to fit behind the wheel at the end

did you buy/aquire premie clothes before your twins were born? No, I figured if they were preemie I'd buy them then

did you tandem nurse in public? Not in the beginning. I do now if I really have to, but try not to unless it's people who don't mind being flashed.

also, what kind fo help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help?

my mom lived with us for 3 weeks, then (and now) I had a part-time maid. Plus after my mom left, the women from my play group (I said no baby shower) instead did 3 meals a week for me for 2 months!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#17 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 01:39 PM

I measured 11 cm ahead most of my pregnancy but by 40 weeks I was 54 cm

Clothes were really, really hard for me. I did not get huge all over, just had a massive belly. If I bought up a size the tops were too wide and pants too loose but still did not cover me. I wore sorongs a lot at the end (I had mine in Sept so it was hot) and at home I wore a bikini top because it was so hot! To leave the house I just was never fully covered. I did have one dress that was not even maternity but it was ankle length and super stretchy and I wore it because it actually covered me.

No but I did have to stop driving the last couple weeks because the steering wheel rubbing against my belly hurt and it was hard to use the peddals.

No, I was given a few but did not buy any and did not use any. My boys were both around 8lb so it was not an issue.

I only did if I really had to and that was not often. They were usually fine trading off. If I was running errands I would nurse one in the sling or mei tai in one store and swap for the other baby in the next store so that no one ever got frantically hungry. As they got older, maybe around 1 yr, I started having to tandem in public.

also, what kind fo help did you have for the early days? grandparent visiting? babysitter in the afternoons for a bit? just meals or laundry help?

My mom spent the night for I think 5 nights to help me at night with the boys so dh could be with our older ds who still woke a lot. That 1st week my mom helped some with meals too (I had hemoraged and was pretty worn out and could barely even get out of bed) and probably with laundry. Honestly I barely remember the 1st week but I know I did nothing! My dh was able to take 7 weeks off work in which he pretty much just took care of our older ds and I took care of the boys and we probably split up house stuff (except cooking, he does not cook). After the 1st week my mom did not really come over any more and no one brought meals or anything so it was dh and me which worked out fine until he went back to work and that is when it got really, really hard.
#18 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 PM

I don't remember specifically, something like 10w ahead, consistently. Enough so that when I was around 4m, people would see me at the grocery store and ask if I was due tomorrow and then they'd freak out when I'd explain, no, I'm not due for like 5 more months...

My mom bought me these shirts that I refered to as my TENTS from motherhood maternity, and I wore early-maternity jeans -- under my belly! At the end I could not stand any pants around my belly (I had belly-claustrophobia) everything had to be underneath.

Nope, but like others said, I didn't drive much.

Nope, and my baby A was only 3lbs at birth! All the 0-3 were huge for a long time. I just dealt with it. *I was a very young recent-college grad with very little money*

Nope. I did not breastfeed my twins I wish I'd known about MDC back then!

Tons. I was a single mom of twins. I was single during my pregnancy and my church basically adopted me. Tons of local churches and synagogues and every other religion place-of-worship donated furniture and clothes and toys for me. Tons of wonderful people brought me food after the babies were born, did my laundry, babysat, came over and held a baby so I could shower. It was incredibly stressful being a single mom of twins, but I recall great kindness by strangers. Also, once my parents got over their unhappiness, they came and actually stayed for 2 months after the babies were born. After that, I was on my own til I met my dh... that is another story!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#19 of 23 Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was a bit over - can' t exactly remember.

I wore all of my regular ones. I had one button-front shirt that's cut a bit slimmer than the others and was pulling on the buttons, but everything else was fine. I was at the limit, but could still wear all my maternity pants, which were no-panel dress pants or jeans with side panels. Full panel pants definitely would have been a lot better as they would have stayed up better in the last couple of weeks but even I wasn't going to buy new jeans for such a short time.

No.

No. But I did wish that I had more 0-3 month clothes. I had almost none, as my other kids had been 9-11 lb at birth. The twins were 7 & 7.5, but were very slow to grow in the first 6-8 weeks or so. They were swimming in the 0-3 month things for a long time. I had assumed they would "take off" as the other kids did and that the few 0-3 outfits on hand would suffice. Doing it again, I would have borrowed some 0-3 outfits just in case.

Always, and still do. Contrary to some MOMs, I found it much easier when they were very small (eg. 10 days old). Gets more complicated once they are slapping each other, twisting, kicking, sitting up, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venustx View Post
We had MANY people promise to help before they were born, but that didn't really pan out after they were home. Even my family, who promised to cook for us and help in other ways, never bothered to come over or even call to check on us, in most cases. I didn't beg anyone - I felt if they wanted to help, they would mention it after they were here, and I didn't want anyone coming over out of a feeling of obligation.
: pretty much. Good thing I have such a fantastic teammate/husband. Good thing babies were full term and content.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#20 of 23 Old 09-27-2008, 12:07 PM

Great post and great answers! I'm 13 weeks and very much appreciate knowing about others experiences.

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
#21 of 23 Old 09-27-2008, 03:55 PM

I don't remember how far ahead I measured at the end -- I think 52 cm at 37 weeks, but I am not totally sure.

I did not need a seatbelt extender. I just showed a bit of belly at the end when I had to leave the house. Not pretty.

I rarely tandem nursed in public when it was unavoidable, i.e. on an airplane and a few times when they were toddlers. Too much breast showing for my comfort.

About preemie clothing, I did not buy any. My ultrasounds at the end were way way way off. Said one was 7 lbs & one was 8 lbs. The 7-lb-er was only 4-1/2, so she needed preemie clothes for a while. My Mom bought some and she also contacted her local Mother of Twins Club and they had a lending closet, so that's how we got preemie clothes. My Mom wasn't a member and they just handed her the clothes. My MOTC has a preemie closet, too. I was just too busy trying to nurse and recover from a C-section to contact them. They were definitely needed. Fiona was tall and skinny and was swimming in the preemie clothes. Even my 6-1/2 pound baby needed preemie clothes for a few weeks. Heck, my 10 lb singleton wore a preemie outfit his first few days.

Congrats & may you have a nice, uncomplicated 40 week pregnancy!

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#22 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
how far "ahead" did you measure?

10 weeks - 14 cm
20 weeks - 30 cm
28 weeks - 38 cm
39 weeks - 52 cm

My husband is 6'4", and I am 5'4", so during the middle of my pregnancy I wore a couple of his short-sleeved button-down shirts - they were long enough to go over my belly. At the end ALL I could wear were dresses.

Since you should wear your seat belt under your belly, and the shoulder belt over your belly, you should be able to go without an extension, if you didn't need one before. My problem was that I couldn't drive at the end, because by the time the seat was back far enough for me to get behind the wheel, my short legs couldn't reach the pedals.

No, and it's a good thing I didn't - my babies weighed 8 pounds each at birth.

No, but I didn't go out much with them. I tandem nursed at home all the time, but I never figured out how to do so discreetly. Anyone who came to our house was going to get an eyeful!

What sort of help did you have?

DH stayed home with us for the first week home from the hospital (I came home on a Friday). For the next two or three weeks my Mom came to stay with us in the middle of the week. Mostly she cooked, and made up a ton of meals for the freezer, and of course held the babies while I took a shower. We had lots of people bring food, which was wonderful.

My best advice is to do two things: 1). Simplify your life! I cancelled almost all magazine subscriptions, since I didn't have much time to read. I cancelled Book of the Month CLub so I didn't have to bother with returning the card every month. I put all my bills as automatic payments to eliminate writing checks and mailing payments (with the risk of missing payments). 2) Make a list of every person who casually says "If there's anything I can do for you after the babies are born..." and hang it on your fridge. Then CALL them! Never deny someone the opportunity to do you a good deed. If someone came to visit I would ask them to throw in a load of laundry or fix me a sandwich. Sometimes I would ask them to hold the babies while I took a shower. People were happy to run quick errands for me. One week when DH was out of town I had someone come over to help give the babies a bath.

My "babies" are 14 years old now!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#23 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 03:44 PM

How far ahead did you measure - it is written down somewhere, but at the end (38 weeks) I think I was 40+cm. I gained a total of 75 lbs and 7 months later am almost back to pre preg weight (with a bit of a gut.)

What to wear - Big sweatpants or pj pants, thankfully my dh is an xl, so I wore his shirts at the end. For a coat I used a poncho. $20 at Marshalls, fleece. used a cardigian to keep arms warm. Couldn't wear socks (and it was winter), only flip flops and those left marks too. I kept sizing up in maternity clothes, but was so uncomfortable that I gave that up quickly. I needed maternity underwear too. I'm 5 ft 1 inch, normal weight is about 110-120.

Seatbelt - Babies were born in Feb, at beginning of December I quit driving. Belly rubbed up against wheel and it made me nervous. Didn't need an extender but did need help getting in and out of dh's truck!

Help - MEALS!!! For immediate postpartum and the first year, I think. Unless you just love frozen food. If someone can come over and clean the bathrooms, dust, vacuum or mop even after the immediate post partum time. I can keep up w/ laundry as long as you don't ask me to put it away and every few days I can pick up half of the clutter. But I just don't have time to do the toilets as often as I would like!

Baby Clothes - there is no reason you should buy preemie, b/c they will hopefully be born right on time! I was induced 39 wks 3 days, babies weighed 5.14 and 7.1.

Tandem - didn't get it down until about 6 months. Could do it, but only if someone else could help me get them in position. I'd say skip the eztonurse pillow unless you get it for free. Bed pillows work better imo.

Other stuff you didn't ask about but thought I'd throw out there - we started w/ just one crib and both of them sleeping together. Now we don't use the crib except dd takes daytime naps there. I co sleep with them in 2 twin mattresses on the floor.

If you are having b/g twins, get as much gender neutral clothes as possible. It is just easier.

As you get more and more uncomfortable and have to pee every 5 seconds, just remember that lots of gals have been there and lived through it. It is hard, but you can do it! I now look at moms whose twins are in their twenties for encouragment. Well, they look good now. . .

I might think of more later.

KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! You will have a great pregnancy and they will be happy and healthy! Congratulations!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page