POLL: Chances of multiple sets of twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Of you multiple mommas who conceived twins naturally, and then had subsequent pregnancies, how many had another set of twins?

I've got a lot of the twin-factors: family history, conceived twin girls on my first pregnancy, I'm tall and older. I like to imagine having other babies, but the idea of another set of twins is a little daunting.

The straw poll I took in my local club makes me guess the number is about a 1:8 chance for a second set. What about the MDC mommas?

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#2 of 26 Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No other twins, but I've not tried again. Plus, I have MZ twins, and supposedly there's no genetic component to that.

I totally get the being scared of having twins again thing, though! I love my babies, and I'm so glad to have them both, but it REALLY IS easier one at a time!
#3 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Even though my twins are MZ, for some reason I'm just paranoid about getting pregnant again because I'm so scared I'll have twins again! I'd love to have just one more, but 2 more would make 6 for us and I can barely function with the four I have!

Interested to see what others say.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 AM

My first were MZ girls conceived at age 20. My second set (with a singleton in between...if he'd been twins we would have been DONE as they are only 13 months apart!) are boy/girl conceived at age 23. I have no maternal family history of twinning although (I know it's not supposed to be related but I thought I'd share anyway) there are 3 sets of boy/girl twins on my dad's side in my generation. Two sets are from my dad's sisters and the third is from an in-law. I also just had another single birth and had an ultrasound at 7 weeks so I'm quite sure there was never a twin in there.

I don't know if that's the information you're looking for (or if it makes you feel any better). My feeling is that if you're supposed to have twins again, you will. How many women do we know that get pregnant when they are being VERY careful with contraceptives? There are truly no accidents and it will work out the way it's supposed to. Good luck!

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#5 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 03:41 AM

We are pretty sure my girls are DZ (they look nothing alike, but have the same blood type and we haven't done a DNA test so we can't "prove" it). They were my second pregnancy (had an early m/c first). Two more pregnancies and no more twins. I'd actually love another set though. I keep thinking I need boy twins now so I can be symetrical. Crazy thought I know, but I just have this feeling there is a set of boy twins waiting to come to us

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#6 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 04:14 AM

I've had five pregnancies come to fruition and only one set of twins.

but they were my last

and no more babies will ever come from mine womb.
#7 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 AM

My maternal grandmother had 3 singletons and then a set of twins, and then another set of twins. All girls.

We have 3 singletons and then a set of twins. Needless to say, it has me wondering....

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#8 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 AM

herdingkittens, after seeing your username, my DH has started saying, "herdingbunnies" to our kids LOL

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#9 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses Mammas! I love my girls, and would be thrilled either with our family as it is, or whatever babies come to us in the future. In some ways I'd love another set. But what I could see is having a singleton, and then getting pregnant again, with twins and having five babies in a blink of an eye. Some of you other moms handle that and more, but I can only imagine how tough it can be!

I know there's no predicting, just wondering. Have the feeling for me and others like me, the chances are pretty high. I might even go as high as 1:3, or 1:2.

If I get pregnant again, I'd want to go into it ready to be unconditionally happy with either a singleton or twins. Mine are young yet, so I have some time to mull it over.

#10 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
herdingkittens, after seeing your username, my DH has started saying, "herdingbunnies" to our kids LOL
It feels like that sometimes, yes?

Oh, well, kittens and bunnies are cute and cuddly!! They are worth "herding"!

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#11 of 26 Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM

My kiddos are DZ. I was told that the odds of conceiving twins once you'd had one set of DZ twins was 20%, so one in five. To me, those odds would be enough to make me think carefully before TTC again, although with my health I probably won't anyway.

MZ twins are a random event, so if you've had confirmed MZ twins, your chances of twins a second time are no greater than anyone else's.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 26 Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Both of my sets are spontaneous MZ twins. No twins in my family or in DH's family. No other "risk" factors for twins. I just have eggs that like to split I guess?

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#13 of 26 Old 10-16-2008, 12:54 PM

Twins run in my family. They are all MZ. I think eggs that like to split can be hereditary... scientists just don't know it yet.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#14 of 26 Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Without a family history, I don't think the chances of a second set of spontaneous dz twins are that great. I think it's like 1 in 24 or something. But I can't remember where I read that statistic.

I was terrified about having a second set of twins. And thrilled when ds3 arrived as a singleton.

I actually think it probably would have been quite a bit easier the second time around (already knowing how to manage twin babies/breastfeeding/babywearing/cosleeping/etc. and already having two of everything), but I really wanted the experience of a more normal pregnancy/birth/bonding with a newborn.

My dw is newly pregnant with our fourth baby, and I'm only the teensiest bit concerned about her likelihood of having twins. She IS a fraternal twin herself, but there's no family history beyond that. And we did an ultrasound to time the insemination and there was only one follicle that we could see. But there is still this little part of me that won't be at peace until we know for sure that there's only one baby. Post Twins Stress Disorder maybe?

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#15 of 26 Old 10-16-2008, 01:57 PM

I know TWO women who have had two sets of twins...19 months apart. Whew.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#16 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Oh wow Lex! That's fun to contemplate (for me only, I assume ).
#17 of 26 Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 PM

My grandmother lost a set of twins. But from her, we have the twins in the family. I have a cousin who has had two sets of twins. I have one set. But my pregnancy before the twin pregancy, I had a major bleed with lots of cramping. I was told I was miscarrying only to find there was still a baby there. I now believe I lost a baby from a previous twin pregnancy, though no u/s or blood tests to indicate otherwise.
#18 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 AM

We conceived twins naturally and ended up miscarrying both babies. Four months later, we conceived again -- twins again -- and had 2 beautiful, healthy, full term, full size baby boys with our midwives. My husband's mom is a twin, but I have no family history of twins. And I guess these guys are "my fault" as they were 2 separate eggs/sacs etc!

Zoelda
#19 of 26 Old 11-05-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to share a story for posterity. I was at a store over the weekend, when the clerk asked if the babies my DH and I were carrying were twins. When we said yes, he said he had twins too. I asked how old? His answer:

15 and 4.

I barely heard him and was about to smile and keep walking when it hit me. 15 and 4. Two sets! A girl and boy each time. Wow-e! He was a sweetheart. I seem to meet parents, twins, siblings of multiple sets all the time. What an adventure.

Don't know if I'm ready for it, maybe an 11 year wait is a good thing . . .

#20 of 26 Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 AM

One of my closest friends had trips (B/B/B) and then dz twins (B/G). She's completely insane, but that's a different issue. Completely unassisted - until birth that is! I have another friend who has dz twins (B/B), singleton x2 (G/G), dz twins (B/G) (DONE), the twins are about 6 yrs apart, w/the two singletons in the middle. One of the singletons was a vanishing twin, if that matters to you. Totally unassisted, but w/a strong family history on everyone's side of twins - hers (mat and pat) and his (mat - not sure of pat). I believe that having one set of dz twins makes you 4x more likely to have twins than the average (untwinned) mother.

ETA: eating dairy is supposed to give you higher chances of twinning, too lol - and eating yams w/the skin on (though cooked seems to be ok!).

http://multiples.about.com/od/funfac...ohavetwins.htm

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#21 of 26 Old 11-09-2008, 12:47 AM

Voting for a friend of mine - he & his wife had DZ girls & about 1.5 years later had MZ boys. She is a twin (B/G) & iirc her mom or her aunt is a twin as well.

I would take my mom to visit with them whenever she started pressuring me to have babies .
#22 of 26 Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 PM

I have two sets of fraternal twins - first set are boys and second set are boy/girl. No history of twins on my side of the family....if we had tried a 3rd time it would have been twins (or triplets) again.....at 33 weeks with my 2nd set during an u/s the tech "thought" she saw a "3rd"...however it turned out to be a shadow! LOL! My daughter will have a strong chance of having twins herself someday too. I have a neice who had 2 girls (singles) and then had fraternal twin boys....of course she blames me! LOL!
#23 of 26 Old 12-18-2008, 04:15 PM

I've had 4 pregnancies and had 2 singletons then ID twins then a singleton after the twins. Although my midwife thought I measured big and did think maybe I was having twins again but in fact it was only one baby.
#24 of 26 Old 12-18-2008, 05:22 PM

My husband's paternal grandmother had the following pregnancies:
First -singleton
Second - Twins (boys - not sure if mono or di)
Third-Fifth - singletons

My husband's maternal grandmother had the following pregnancies:
First - singleton
Second - Twins (boys, again, not sure if mono or di)
Third and fourth - singletons.
#25 of 26 Old 12-19-2008, 04:06 AM

Hehe I'll chime in, for my Mom.
Age 23 identical twin girls
25 identical twin boys (19months apart)
35 singleton boy
40 singleton boy

Mom always laughed and talked about something in the water. So far I have had 4 singletons, and my sister 1..

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#26 of 26 Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 AM

My sis is due in Feb with her second set of twins.
Age 20 & 22 - singleton girls 14 mos apart
Age 23 twin boys (DZ)
Age 24 (11.5mos later!) singleton girl
Age 30 singleton girl (lost in utero)
Now age 31 pg with twin girls (don't know if MZ or DZ yet.)

I have another sister who has a singleton (age 24) and one set of MZ twins (age 28).

My grandfathers on both sides had twin siblings, though as far as I know there are no twins in our direct genetic line. But I'm scared to get pg again even though I only have two singletons! Too great a chance of twins for me!

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page