"Lovely" comment today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had one of those days where I just didn't want any extra attention when out and about with my two babies and dd. Alas, it did not happen. My favorite of the day from a 60-70 year old "gentleman" : "Wow, someone sure had fun ". Nice, like dh and I had an extra crazy night the day our twins were conceived . Seriously, what is the response to that?!? I think I mumbled something about just getting lucky and then realized afterwards how that must have sounded!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#2 of 63 Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM

WHY can't people just say "beautiful family" and move on?!?!?
#3 of 63 Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM

I always hate the comments when people roll their eyes and say "twins? I'm sorry." I just say "I'm not" and move along. I've gotten that a couple of times.
#4 of 63 Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
Nice, like dh and I had an extra crazy night the day our twins were conceived
Oh is that how this happened? Whew! That's one of life's mysteries solved!
#5 of 63 Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Guilty.
I told a mom of triplets that I wasn't sure if I should say I envied her or pitied her. I mean, I can *kind of* imagine 2 babies at once and the joy and bone-breaking work that comes with that, but three? Ai yai yai.
I say I can kind of imagine it because my mom and grandma (both mothers of twins) both regaled me with stories of "twins versus singleton babies" from the times I was born so I have *some* idea (though that's not much compared to the reality, I'm sure).
I remember old men saying the same thing as was said to the OP to my mom, though. I didn't understand it at the time (I was probably about 6) but my mom always said "Too bad I was too drunk to remember it." I remember the look on the old men's faces too. Priceless. And I remember my granny hissing her name at her like my mom does to me when she thinks I've said or done something inappropriate. Ah. Family.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#6 of 63 Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM

I met a friend from school when I only had two/ three children and he was like:

'no tv then. hahaha' to which I replied, 'no, that's right!'
( in truth, we didn't! hehehe )

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#7 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 AM

My DH has actually TOLD people that we got the twins by doing it twice in one night. He just can't resist when we get those stupid questions in public. i am glad it happens less now that they are 2, but it was really awful when they were tiny.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#8 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 AM

Oh my Goodness these comments are annoying. I was talking to someone about my b-g twins and this person asked me if they were fertile or siamese. I think she was trying to ask if they were fraternal or identical.
#9 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajody View Post
My DH has actually TOLD people that we got the twins by doing it twice in one night. He just can't resist when we get those stupid questions in public. i am glad it happens less now that they are 2, but it was really awful when they were tiny.

tee hee .. DH deserves a hug.

I was at work the other night, and someone said, "You know what causes that by now!" I said, "yes, I do, and we're QUITE good at it."

Snarky comments deserve snarky replies!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#10 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Those comments *are* annoying! I'm sorry! When I get a really nice one like "you're so lucky" "what a beautiful family" or "I always wished I'd had twins" it stops me in my tracks, makes me smile, and I say so sincerly, THANK YOU! And then I tell them that YES, I *am* lucky and yes they're great and a that I always wanted twins as well and am so thankful to have them.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
Those comments *are* annoying! I'm sorry! When I get a really nice one like "you're so lucky" "what a beautiful family" or "I always wished I'd had twins" it stops me in my tracks, makes me smile, and I say so sincerly, THANK YOU! And then I tell them that YES, I *am* lucky and yes they're great and a that I always wanted twins as well and am so thankful to have them.
me, too! the maintenance man at our apt. gets stars in his eyes and says he and his wife always dreamed of twins but weren't so lucky. what a sweet man he is!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#12 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I'm so freaking tired of all the stupid comments people feel like they have to make. It's gotten better since they're not babies anymore-- the comments have gotten kinder, I think, and I'm not sure why. But there were a few months where I was seriously ready to shove my foot down the throat of the next smart*** who opened his mouth about my kids.

So I totally sympathize.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#13 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 PM

We still haven't gotten a single negative comment, which I think with triplets and two moms is pretty amazing. Most people are in awe and say they've never seen triplets in "real life" before, and they love when I say I hadn't either, until I had these. I'm sure I'll get negative comments eventually, and I hope I get the "someone sure had fun" comment sometime so I can respond that my doctor must have had a ton of fun with all the money we spent there.
#14 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Oh the comments

My twins look totally differnt (blond hair blue eyes, much bigger; and DARK brown eyes, brown hair and a wirey little thing) and I can't tell you how many have asked us if we're sure they're twins yeah ok like I somehow could be unsure of THAT! We also get a lot of people how think they're 10-ish months apart

We have a larger family and we get the usually comments but there was one that really sticks out. I was shopping with the 3 boys and dh was out in the van with dd. The cashier was ringing up our stuff and there was an outfit for dd and he said "oh there must be a girl somewhere" I told him yep and he said "I feel really bad for you, I have 3 and I can't wait to get away from them" :
I don't know why it bothered me so much

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#15 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
Oh the comments

My twins look totally differnt (blond hair blue eyes, much bigger; and DARK brown eyes, brown hair and a wirey little thing) and I can't tell you how many have asked us if we're sure they're twins yeah ok like I somehow could be unsure of THAT! We also get a lot of people how think they're 10-ish months apart
I don't think I've had people ask if I was sure they were twins or not (what an incredibly stupid thing for someone to even think!) BUT I do get a lot of people thinking my twins are about a year apart. When they were infants people used to ask if they were 6 months apart. ??? I never quite figured the logistics out on that one!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#16 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
I don't think I've had people ask if I was sure they were twins or not (what an incredibly stupid thing for someone to even think!) BUT I do get a lot of people thinking my twins are about a year apart. When they were infants people used to ask if they were 6 months apart. ??? I never quite figured the logistics out on that one!
Twice now acquaintances of mine have asked the question "twins?!!". These are people that I know but may have only heard through the grapevine about our newest additions. My reply to them is "No, they're just really close in age" . I mean, really, they're only 4 months old!

I do need a snappy comeback to the good ol' "wow, you have your hands full". Maybe something beyond "well, duh...."

I have had some great comments though and when someone tells you that your family is beautiful it makes it all worthwhile!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#17 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM

OK, so I am guilty of giving "I donno how you do it/did it" and other in awe comments to my aunt, who has a 13yr old and 11yr old triplets (2b 1g) I feel like my ONE is going to make me lose my head, and I seem to always express that to her--
I hope that isnt... offensive.. She is incredible- organized, frugal and always seems at least %80 col and collected....

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#18 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju's mom View Post
Oh my Goodness these comments are annoying. I was talking to someone about my b-g twins and this person asked me if they were fertile or siamese. I think she was trying to ask if they were fraternal or identical.
:

I always say, when asked if they are id, well one has a penis and one has a vagina, so see how that makes them totally different? Strangers don't like to hear the words penis and vagina from other strangers.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#19 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
OK, so I am guilty of giving "I donno how you do it/did it" and other in awe comments to my aunt, who has a 13yr old and 11yr old triplets (2b 1g) I feel like my ONE is going to make me lose my head, and I seem to always express that to her--
I hope that isnt... offensive.. She is incredible- organized, frugal and always seems at least %80 col and collected....
This doesn't bother me in the least, because I like it when people acknowledge that things are a little harder with two the same age. It does drive me nuts though when people who have two near the same age act like it's the same thing as having twins. I don't doubt that having two close in age is difficult as well, it's just a different kind of difficult than multiple difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
Oh the comments

Yep, mine are completely different too. Here's how nearly every conversation goes:

Stranger: Are they both yours?
Me: Yes (smiling politely, but thinking "Here we go again!")
Stranger: Oh. (looking confused) Well...how far apart are they?
Me: 24 minutes
Stranger: (Another second of even more confusion) Oh! They're twins!?
Me: Yup.
Stranger: Really? Huh, they don't even look like brothers!

Really for the most part, I don't get comments much more annoying than the You have your hands full comment, but I don't really mind cause it's true. I usually smile and say "Sure do."
#20 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaesa View Post
:

I always say, when asked if they are id, well one has a penis and one has a vagina, so see how that makes them totally different? Strangers don't like to hear the words penis and vagina from other strangers.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that question all the time, but if I did this would be the response I would use. Just to see people squirm!
#21 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM

You could always say that your cloning experiment was a success.
#22 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM

I can only imagine the comments parents of multiples get. I especially like the fertile or siamese. LOL.

I think twins are adorable, can imagine the work, but can imagine the reward too. I wanted b-g twins, but I got two boys close in age instead.

My addition to this thread that perhaps other people with kids close in age have experienced, is that although they are 18 months apart people think they are twins. One is big, one is smaller, one talks, one drools, but still, every time we are out people comment on my "twins". My dh gets so sick of it he just says yes they are.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#23 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomgardner417 View Post
Stranger: Are they both yours?
Me: Yes (smiling politely, but thinking "Here we go again!")
Stranger: Oh. (looking confused) Well...how far apart are they?
Me: 24 minutes
Stranger: (Another second of even more confusion) Oh! They're twins!?
Stranger: Really? Huh, they don't even look like brothers!

Seriously. I'd have to restrain myself from hitting the person. Of course, I was always the one who "didn't look like she's related", so I have issues in that department.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#24 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Dumbest comments so far:

"Were they born at the same time?" (eh, wha? no, they came one at a time 35 minutes apart)

Pointing to Claire, "She must be younger, right?" (ahem, yes, because she's lighter and female she MUST be younger. people get REALLY bugged when I tell them Ben is our baby)

And my fave:

"YOU HAD THEM AT HOME?!?!?!? WITHOUT DRUGS!?!?!?" (at which point I'm tempted to say "no, I had them at home by c-section" and walk away)
#25 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
:

I do not parent multiples but had to add...

#26 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post

And my fave:

"YOU HAD THEM AT HOME?!?!?!? WITHOUT DRUGS!?!?!?" (at which point I'm tempted to say "no, I had them at home by c-section" and walk away)
These are too funny

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#27 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
:

I might have to steal this. I usually just say "well, no, one's a boy and one's a girl so they can't be identical". The funny thing is I guess people don't want to feel silly when I point this out so they say "but they look so much alike". For the record, I really don't think they look that much alike. We (along with a 3 year old and 6 year old) could tell the difference from day one. I think they look as alike as two 4 month old babies could even if they're not necessarily related. So, I guess it goes both ways. Comments from those who want them to look/be identical and comments from those who insist they're not twins

I also wanted to say that personally I'm not offended by many comments. When I'm venting about the comments it's usually just because I go through a period where I'm tired of the extra attention and having to talk about it all the time. Like when you're walking through a mall and even though you're focusing on your babies you can see people stop and stare with your peripheral vision and hear the comments. Sometimes you just want to be invisible - kwim? But then, you have a day where you are totally into showing off your babies and talking about them. Posting here allows me to get it off my chest and still be polite in public! Hearing a comment from a family member or good friend is very different.

#28 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
My addition to this thread that perhaps other people with kids close in age have experienced, is that although they are 18 months apart people think they are twins. One is big, one is smaller, one talks, one drools, but still, every time we are out people comment on my "twins". My dh gets so sick of it he just says yes they are.
Ok, guilty! But in fairness, I only did it once when I found out I was preg w/ twins and I would stalk every set of twins I saw. And these girls were the same height/size, same color hair/eyes, same outfits, same hair-do, etc. But I guess that's really not an excuse! I didn't think about how annoying it would be the other way around so thanks for pointing out! I don't do it anymore!
#29 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 PM

I was at a garage sale this summer and had both babies with me, and a lady at the sale asked "twins?", I said "yeah", and honestly she said "did you carry them at the same time?" I was like-"well, yeah-they're twins."
That is about the dumbest comment/question I have gotten so far. And I have gotten the are they id question before too, and I just say "no one's a boy and one's a girl." And one lady actually said "well they can still be id anyways, that just means they look alike." Ummm, no it doesn't.
#30 of 63 Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju's mom View Post
No, she was trying to ask if they were paternal or not .

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page