Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I'm thought the Olsen twins are not identical. If you look at closeup pictures, there are differences, including very different eye color.
ID doesn't mean they have to look exactly alike. My ID girls do look different. One has a round face (like me) and the other has an oval face (like her daddy) They do have the same eye/hair color but facial structure is different. They may be slight, but everyone that knows them, can tell them apart. As far as the Olsen's having a different eye color, one could wear colored contact lenses so that really isn't the best clue.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm on an Olsen twins kick - sorry! I had to google some images to check eye color b/c I never noticed a difference. I don't see it - they look the same, or at least very close to the same, to me:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_hsZTPLVIcqs/..._Twins_006.JPG

http://bp1.blogger.com/_hsZTPLVIcqs/..._Twins_005.JPG

http://bp0.blogger.com/_hsZTPLVIcqs/..._Twins_007.JPG

http://bp1.blogger.com/_hsZTPLVIcqs/..._Twins_010.JPG

http://bp1.blogger.com/_hsZTPLVIcqs/..._Twins_009.JPG

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:46 PM

It must be so exciting to find out :

Mamaeliz - they sure look MZ to me!

I'm embarrassed to say I have mixed my b/g twins up briefly. (shrug and giggle). Good job we have a very easy identification factor but it made me think how awesome it would be to have MZ twins

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 11-02-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
It must be so exciting to find out :

Mamaeliz - they sure look MZ to me!

I'm embarrassed to say I have mixed my b/g twins up briefly. (shrug and giggle). Good job we have a very easy identification factor but it made me think how awesome it would be to have MZ twins
We get asked once in awhile if they are b/g twins. After 5 boys if I had a girl she definitely wouldn't be dressed in boy clothes!!

Shukr- How are you all doing? Is everyone adjusting now that you're at home? Do you have help? I'm curious to hear how your older kids are doing too. Hopefully you're enjoying those precious angels!! I vividly remember those first few weeks and how our twins slept all the time. It was a nice transition to get us used to having two!!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof5boys View Post
We get asked once in awhile if they are b/g twins. After 5 boys if I had a girl she definitely wouldn't be dressed in boy clothes!!

although my third child (girl), after only two boys, was put in quite a few boy hand me downs when I thought I'd never put her in anything but PINK!
It took a while to see her as girl because everyone insisted I'd never have one. (My husband is from an all boys family)

Thanks for asking how we are getting on.
I think interesting is the best way to describe it thus far!?
The children's Dad is around for them atm, so is easing the physical work with them. I'm hoping to pull myself together a bit more and get some homeschool routine going tomorrow morning, but ack, 'sleeeeeep craving and hungry' sum up a great part of my thoughts right now!!!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
http://catchlightsnw.com/blog/
okay, so you have to scroll down off that link to Serena and Sierra, (sorry I can't figure out posting photos yet), but that's the girls' picture. Am I crazy to think that they might be MZ?
My money would definitely be on your girls being MZ. You had a link to your blog before (I think with some comment about them being DZ) and I remember thinking to myself "uh-uh!" : Hope you have the opportunity to find out. It was a pretty big deal for us to know.

Quote:
I posted these pictures earlier and all of you thought they were identical, so we decided to have them tested. We got the results today!! Here are the pics I posted:

http://gallery.me.com/nockfamily#100039
: Yay for you guys! I remember that satisfying thrill of getting our test results and knowing for certain that they were MZ. I know any singletons are special and any twins are special, but long before DH and I had kids, we always used to say that it would be just so very cool to have identical twins.

Quote:
I think our boys look quite different. They have the same features but their face shape is so different. Also, their height and weight is quite a bit different. Is it just environment that determines these differences?
Our boys look so different to the two of us that we really questioned whether they were identical. (They shared a placenta, but we didn't necessarily trust that the inexperienced doctor at the delivery could discern a shared placenta from a fused one). Height and weight differences play a huge roll, but in our experience expressions (and the personalities behind them) are even more influencial on appearance. We would only ever think "Hey, maybe they ARE identical" when they were asleep (so relaxed) with hats on.

Quote:
I also noticed their hair whorls are on opposite sides of their heads. One goes clockwise and one counterclockwise. Is this a symptom of mirroring since they are MZ? What about handedness?
As others have said, this is a pretty certain sign of mirroring, so you should be expecting a leftie and a righty. . . unless those little boys throw you for a loop and turn out to be ambidextrous in addition to being mirror-image identical twins. I wonder what the odds are on that!?

Quote:
So I would love to hear all about your MZ twins! What are their personalities like, what areas are they similar or different?
Our boys are night-and-day personality-wise. #2 is a spark: runs into the room grinning and he's going to MAKE you smile and laugh. #1 is fun-loving, but more on a responsive basis. They are both extremely active little monkeys, but #2 is consistently the leader in the mess-making ideas, persistence to get into something he shouldn't, etc. #1 will calm down more easily to go to sleep. Friends and family can observe these differences fairly easily, so I don't think we are over-emphasizing to distinguish.

As far as similarities, they both have very similar sleep patterns, eating habits. They are usually very close with developmental milestones. Teeth are often within a day or two and always the same teeth. They both like to imitate adult chores and household activities far, far more than any of our singletons ever did.

Just fun, fun, fun!!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 AM

Mine have similar personalities and demeanors. One is more into scouting out new territory and the other one comes to destroy it. One is the entertainer and the other more serious. BUT that's just a tiny differences really when they act so much alike. I can finally tell the difference in voices when they cry.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post

Though, my husband and I both agree, they have what we call "identical days". Some days they just wake up looking particularly MZ! And some days they look very different!
This is so true for our twins, too.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 AM

okay i have boy girl twins that don't look alike. They do have opposite hair whorls and my little girl actually has two that are opposite of each other. They also seem to be opposite handed - my little boy is right handed (I think) and my little girl is left handed (pretty sure). They just turned 3.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM

So last night I was sitting next to Miriam for dinner, chattering away, feeding her, playing etc for about 30 min. I go to get her out of her chair, and it's NOT Miriam!! I look across the table and there's Miriam waving at me. I"m their Mother and they had me fooled for 30 minutes! Their hair is growing out and wispy so it covers the differing head shapes, and their personalities are similar. I just couldn't believe I had them confused for so long! And they were dressed differently but I didn't even notice the clothes. I guess if I get really confused Shira's dot on her leg will solve the problem!

But good grief I can't believe it! Doesn't help that they still answer to each other's names.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
So last night I was sitting next to Miriam for dinner, chattering away, feeding her, playing etc for about 30 min. I go to get her out of her chair, and it's NOT Miriam!! I look across the table and there's Miriam waving at me. I"m their Mother and they had me fooled for 30 minutes! Their hair is growing out and wispy so it covers the differing head shapes, and their personalities are similar. I just couldn't believe I had them confused for so long! And they were dressed differently but I didn't even notice the clothes. I guess if I get really confused Shira's dot on her leg will solve the problem!

But good grief I can't believe it! Doesn't help that they still answer to each other's names.
That is too cute!!!

I always feel badly when I'm telling the wrong child not to do something- like "Please get off the table!!" The other one will look at me oddly for a second and wonder what he did wrong! Hopefully I won't damage them for life! I guess soon enough they'll probably realize how much fun it will be to confuse us all!

It would be fun to hear from moms of older MZ twins to see when or if they try to switch identities or try to trick people. I've frequently heard of it happening in kindergarten when the twins are put into different classes.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
That is too cute!!!

I always feel badly when I'm telling the wrong child not to do something- like "Please get off the table!!" The other one will look at me oddly for a second and wonder what he did wrong! Hopefully I won't damage them for life! I guess soon enough they'll probably realize how much fun it will be to confuse us all!
That is the worst! I hate when I'm saying "Lilly! Put the ___ down!" several times before I realize that Lilly's over in the corner playing with Legos, wondering WTF I am talking about. Oops. Even if no one else is there, I feel pretty embarrassed.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 AM

Congratz on the testing! It's pretty exciting knowing for sure.

Mine were mono/di and had a good path report confirming zygocity so I trust it.

Mine have whorls going the same direction but they have both consistantly gotten teeth on the opposite sides each time. If one is teething I know to check the other side of their sister's mouth because sure enough that's always the tooth that comes in. Their teeth overlap oppositely on the bottom too. It'll be interesting to see if there is any difference in handedness later on.

Mine are very identical. No one can tell them apart but me, not even my dh. It's kinda nice that they're walking because now we can all tell them apart by scrapes and bruises . They have always been the same size within a 1/2 a lb and the same height within 1/2 inch. Willow has a lower voice and a strawberry mark on her ear, although the birthmark is rapidly fading already! Fiona has a smaller belly button and Willow has a swirl rather then a circle. Personality is shades of gray from each other. Fiona is more intense. She's the one who cried most and still does. Willow was more mellow but is turning into a little firecracker now. She's adventurous where her sister is more reserved. Luckily they know their own names now so I can ask them If i'm not sure. Yes they walked on the same day... it was SO cool. Their vocabulary is a bit different right now too, so that also helps me to tell them apart.

ITA, mom always thinks they look different. I think it's part of our survival as MoMs of MZ kiddos!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Lucia, that's so interesting. I like "shades of gray" on personality. Mine are so alike yet slightly different in that area. Voice difference is slowly getting more discernable to me. Shira has a freckle on her leg if anyone gets really stuck. I dress them differently as much as possible but then later in the day I forget who I dressed in what and the clothing doesn't matter. And yes on vocabulary though what I'm quickly learning is that one says it and the other learns it, so it's almost identical. Shira said her first "sentence" so loud and clear today I though it was her older brother. "NO HIT" not the greatest first sentence but that's what we're going through right now

Monkey see, monkey do is so relevant right now.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That is too cute!!!

It would be fun to hear from moms of older MZ twins to see when or if they try to switch identities or try to trick people. I've frequently heard of it happening in kindergarten when the twins are put into different classes.
My 2.5 yo girls sometimes pretend to be each other. I think they know what they are doing and they do it to confuse my 4yo who still can't tell them apart.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 PM

LOL on don't hit. Yeah, we're in the same place . The vocab thing isn't so much about ability but about fav words. They each seem to have a catch phrase that they use frequently. It helps. We color coded them early on so we could tell them apart. Willow is purple and Fiona is pink. Willow wears green bobux and Fiona wears brown. Fiona wears a brown fleece coat and Willow wears a white one... you get the idea. Some times I mix it up but sometimes it's just not worth letting my dh embarrass himself LOL. OH and DS can tell them apart as well or better then I can.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 AM

We do the color coding thing too. Shira is alway green or the darker shade if it's same colors. Miriam is always pin or the lighter shade. Shira is always strawberries or stripes while Miriam is in cherries or plain/dots. Lord help me if DH dresses them and swaps it up!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

This may be a silly question for those of you who color code your twins....

Are you doing that for quick recognition purposes or is it because it's very difficult to tell them apart even after looking/watching them? Does that make sense? I often mix my two up if they are wearing the same thing, but if I really look at them straight on I can usually always tell them apart. Especially when they're together I can always tell them apart. Sometimes I'll have to look over at the other one or I do a double take to make sure I have the right kiddo. My boys are often quite different in personalities so I can usually always tell from that. Although lately I've noticed they are mimicking each others facial expressions more making them look more alike. Does it become easier or more difficult to recognize them when they get more hair? Mine are so blonde they still look bald!

I'm starting to notice more mirroring things too. I mentioned the hair whorls before- they are on opposite sides of their heads and one goes clockwise and the other one goes counterclockwise. I'm pretty sure one is left handed and one is right handed. When can you tell handedness? One will eat with his left hand and will reach for things or throw things left handed. What other mirroring things have you noticed with your twins?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 AM

I do it for quick recognition that way I call the correct name across the room, etc.

And it helps others who are not around them as much if I say who's in green and who's in blue and that doesn't change.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 AM

We color-code, though we did it by having their ears pierced. Yes, I know, not popular here, but the reason we did it was actually to help other people - family and close friends - tell them apart. My husband and I can, but other people - including their older siblings, couldn't.

After we had them wearing different colored earrings, my oldest started calling them by their real names - which I LOVE. : Before she didn't know who was who. We really, really, really wanted them to be called by their names, rather than by "which one are you?" I think it's psychologically healthy for them to be called by their real names.

I admit, it helps for quick identification too (you know, when you don't have time to stare into her eyes, because you need to call her name because she's about to put something in her mouth that she shouldn't!).

(The color-coding clothes was impractical for us because our twins are wearing mostly hand-me-downs. If we'd done it, it would have had to be "you wear pink, and you wear everything else" and I was afraid that if one girl was always, always in pink, that it would make people treat her differently, and she'd become "the girly one" whether that was the way she actually was or not.)
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah not all our clothes are color coded but what I have done is taken all of their clothing and put them together in sets. So for example if they're wearing their brother's stuff, one is always in the bear one and the other is always in the fish one. They wear a variety of colors this way and I just make sure that they wear the same outfit each time in the set.

I agree ^^^ they need to be called by name. Too often I find myself saying, no no baby because I don't know who it is. DD can always tell them apart but DS hasn't figured it out yet.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post
We color-code, though we did it by having their ears pierced. Yes, I know, not popular here, but the reason we did it was actually to help other people - family and close friends - tell them apart. My husband and I can, but other people - including their older siblings, couldn't.

After we had them wearing different colored earrings, my oldest started calling them by their real names - which I LOVE. : Before she didn't know who was who. We really, really, really wanted them to be called by their names, rather than by "which one are you?" I think it's psychologically healthy for them to be called by their real names.

I admit, it helps for quick identification too (you know, when you don't have time to stare into her eyes, because you need to call her name because she's about to put something in her mouth that she shouldn't!).

(The color-coding clothes was impractical for us because our twins are wearing mostly hand-me-downs. If we'd done it, it would have had to be "you wear pink, and you wear everything else" and I was afraid that if one girl was always, always in pink, that it would make people treat her differently, and she'd become "the girly one" whether that was the way she actually was or not.)
Oh... pierced ears!!! I wish I could do that here.....

Thanks for clarifying for me!! I guess our boys are different enough that I don't have to worry about this. I told some friends last night about them being identical and one friend said, "I didn't think they looked like they could be identical!" It's like someone said before- some days they look so much alike and other days very different.

User Tag List