Midwife Meeting - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like hospital birth is really your ideal, all things being equal. Some other thoughts that come to mind... Are there any CNMs affiliated with that hospital who might be able to attend a twin birth? Or any family practice physicians? My guess is no because of the legalities of it and the lobbying power of ACOG, but it's worth asking. But sometimes CNMs or FP Drs have a little more flexible approach. It sounds like you have a good plan (labor at home with a doula, and come to the hospital later in labor), but remember that there may be a delay between baby A and baby B. If I had gone to the hospital ready to push it would have taken me an hour to push out baby A, and then my baby B was almost 2 hours later (b/c of being posterior and asynclitic). So, I likely would have been "strongly encouraged" to have an unnecessary cesarean. Be prepared for how you might handle the intertwin interval (docs usually like to keep it under 30 minutes b/c incidence of distress is a bit higher after 30 according to the research). Also, if you are married, have your partner prepared to be your bulldog-- this will make your doula's job so much easier! As a doula, there are scope of practice issues influencing what you're supposed to do (in most cases, though not all), but as a husband, you can get away with a lot more. I know of doulas who set up a "code" with the husband in advance...

Anyway, not meaning to hijack the thread, but that was something more that came to mind.

Sorry your twins club was weird; that's really not all that unusual, but it's still frustrating. I never even made contact with my MoMs club before my birth. Still haven't actually!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! PP hemorrhage and breathing issues for babies were a big concern for me, too. Looking back on the birth, I realized just how prepared and skilled my MWs were to deal with the recusitation of the babies (didn't need it, but it was a question with the cord around Sierra's neck), and my MWs had a protocol to give a shot of pit after B was born to prevent hemorrhaging, and also had the other drug (forgot the name) on hand. I truly felt so safe at home and with my midwives. But it sounds like the hospital path is the choice that best suits you at this point for many reasons, and I have to agree that establishing care with someone makes it harder to go against their wishes. At the end of my pregnancy, my peri was saying how much he would love to be able to deliver my babies, and I really felt it was heartfelt, as my DH and DD1 had formed a good relationship with him. I really liked him and yet figured that our chances of having HIM actually deliver the babies was slim to none ultimately, as that's how hospitals work. For the record, my babies were 3 hours apart (both fine and healthy as horses, but 3 hours is significant, as I don't know if a hospital protocol would give more than an hour). Typically, I do think twins come pretty close together, but like mine, it does happen like mine as well.
I'm so glad Christy C has jumped in to give you some food for thought. Her thoughtful choices and experiences were invaluable to me
Maybe start a new post calling on all moms with hospital births would be good. Like I said, I have read some stunning stories on this board of some beautiful births in the hospital.

User Tag List