extreme exhaustion during twin pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
jkg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! I've been lurking on this forum since I'm expecting twins in April. I was wondering...is it normal to be painfully exhausted, even by the 16th week, when expecting twins? I have two other children, ages 3 and 1, so I know that may have a lot to do with it. But in both singleton pregnancies, I was feeling much more energetic by this point in the pregnancy. I am so tired it actually hurts to do much more than make dinner.
#2 of 19 Old 11-02-2008, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg View Post
Hi mamas! I've been lurking on this forum since I'm expecting twins in April. I was wondering...is it normal to be painfully exhausted, even by the 16th week, when expecting twins? I have two other children, ages 3 and 1, so I know that may have a lot to do with it. But in both singleton pregnancies, I was feeling much more energetic by this point in the pregnancy. I am so tired it actually hurts to do much more than make dinner.
Yes, normal in my experience. It was really distressing: I felt like I was at the end of the pregnancy body-strain-wise and I was so early (didn't even know it was twins yet). It was very different than my other pregnancies and although it was a relief to know I was pregnant with twins and could thus explain the differences, I was rather fearful of what that pain and fatigue would grow to over the pregnancy.

The good news: it was constant more than an increase over the gestation. Try to imagine being 36-40 weeks pregnant and heavy for the whole term. It was a big, long plateau.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#3 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 AM

We learned that we were having twins at 16 weeks, and I had been TIRED for a long time before finding out. And my sacroiliac joint was a mess. It was like my body knew it had twins to carry and went completely loosey goosey immediately. Walking was hard, but I could bike and do yoga. Even swimming didn't feel great.
I read all of the Harry Potter books in the first trimester. Let's just say that's a LOT of laying around on your backside!!! My DD1 was 3 at the time, and I could hardly keep my eyes open to watch her. I think that's where the tv watching began
Be kind and gentle with yourself, and know that it is HARD WORK for a body to grow TWO babies at once. Rest as much as you can, and take great care of yourself. Welcome to the twin world!!!!:::
#4 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM

sounds normal to me! I spent a good deal of my twin preg parked in a chair outside watching the kids play. I also developed the talent of passing out on the floor for 2 solid hours while the kids played around me....regularly.

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty! It may look like you are doing nothing, but boy is your body working!!

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#5 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdingkittens View Post
sounds normal to me!

Yep, but it is SOOO worth it when you finally meet your sweet babes
Even my nearly 9 year old who really had to work hard during the pregnancy was saying all that fades into the background once the babies are here. Bless his sweet heart

I also found it didn't exactly get hard incrementally, it was just hard all the way through, but I can smile about that now, and you will too

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Sounds like my pregnancy. There were days that getting off the sofa to do anything required too much energy! I felt so much better after my babies were born.
#7 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM

yup ....
one thing I found that helped is getting plenty of protein, and I also felt better when I took my iron supplements,. I had mono when PG with my boys, which didn't help matters!

good luck!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#8 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

coming from a different direction here...
i found that daily exercise (assuming you are perfectly healthy, keep listening closely to your body and of course, in moderation) helped my energy levels INCREASE and also greatly helped with postpartum energy and healing.
#9 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Hello mamas,

We are expecting twins as well. I also have a hard time getting off the couch to do household chores. I have also just started promethazine for the nausea. I know it is all worth it and have a feeling that it is going to go by fast. (I hope)

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#10 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
jkg

Thank you thank you thank you mamas!

I feel so much better knowing that I am not an oddity. Like I said, I didn't feel this ridiculously tired during my other two pregnancies at this point, so I was starting to wonder if this was normal. Thanks for the reassurance and encouragement!! The world of multiples is a whole new ballgame, isn't it?
#11 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
yup ....
one thing I found that helped is getting plenty of protein
Horray for protein!!!! The only thing that staved off morning sickness!! Sausage and eggs and cheese, oh my!

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#12 of 19 Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Be sure to watch your iron, are they testing it regularly?

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#13 of 19 Old 11-04-2008, 12:41 AM

I was so tired during my twin pregnancy. The worst part for me was having nothing to compare it to, and wondering if it was really the twins, or if I was just "bad" at pregnancy, since I had seen so many other people working out through their pregnancies, and basically acting normal. It made things between my husband and I kind of tough, because he comes from a family that doesn't take physical discomfort very seriously (funny, because his dad and sister are both doctors...) and that has rubbed off on him somewhat.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#14 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 PM

I was so tired. And for a long time. Maybe 22 weeks? I would nap under my desk at work and have my assistant on lookout for me. I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then it got better. And then at 34 weeks, I stopped working -- and napped, A LOT.

I can clearly remember the last Sunday before the babies came, I laid on the couch all day, thinking "this may be the last day i do this for yeeeeeaaaarrrrssss".

Enjoy!
#15 of 19 Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 AM

I remember most of my twin pregnancy from the level of the floor. I laid on a mat a good portion of the day while my toddlers ran around nuts. I had good protein and iron intake, I was just wiped out!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#16 of 19 Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Definitely make sure your iron levels are good. I was EXHAUSTED during my pregnancy but when it got really, really, really bad I was at about a 9.0 and that accounted for the really severe stuff.
#17 of 19 Old 11-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Ditto here. Hydration, protien and iron. I loved the supplement Floradix. It's a chloraphil based iron supplement which you can't over dose on (unlike regular iron pills) and it doesn't cause constipation. All my MW's reccomended it for healthy blood productiona nd b/c twin pregnancies carry greater odds of anemia.
#18 of 19 Old 11-18-2008, 07:11 PM

I remember being tired from about 8 wks on. I'd come home from work and take a nap, maybe wake up and eat and then go back to bed until morning. I took a trip to Vegas at 16 wks and just never recovered. I was exhausted all. the. time. On my lunch break I would line three chairs up next to each other (later I would use a fourth for under my belly!) and lay my winter coat over them and take a 45 min nap after I ate and would still be tired when I woke up. Funny how I was miserable then, but I look back on it with such fondness now!
#19 of 19 Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg View Post
Girl,

I'm going thorough the same and exactly thing you're going through. It is so difficult to clean, prepare myself for lunch or even looking for something to eat, and cooking dinner for my husband and daughter is a very difficult task! I also do have a very hard time taking my dog for a walk so he could pee everyday. There are few times that I skipped altogether and my dog ended up peeing-pooping in the house.. which is not what I'm so proud of!

Being pregnant this time around is no fun at all. My first pregnancy with my daughter wasn't that bad.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page