Nursing twins past 12 months - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I nursed my boys until they were just over 3 because I was pg again. I wouldn't say it was a wonderful bonding experience for us. It was more about nutrition and a way to get them back to sleep in the middle of the night . They were never comfort nursers, and as they hit about 7 months, I became their jungle gym!

Nursing after a year was just about continuing what we had already been doing. I had already put boundaries in place as I needed them (no tandem in public, no biting, to scratching, no kicking each other, etc.). They just slowly ate more and nursed less with a little encouragement at times (nightweaning, etc.).

I loved it and hated it and threatened to wean them regularly after they hit 18 months, but didn't do it. I am glad they nursed that long and i would do it again, but it wasn't a love fest like it is for some families.

By the way, it was a lot more bonding and lovely for my oldest who also nursed until he was 3. The twins were just more into climbing onto the table or scratching each other than gazing lovingly into Mamma's eyes, sigh.

Oh yeah, and it was always a bonus to make the family squirm and sigh and ask when we were going to be done with "that".

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 11-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine are 15.5 months and I was thinking about weaning them, then my sister got engaged and we have to fly internationally to the wedding. With all the hoopla and everything going on there, I can wait another 3 months. DS1, had he been a singleton would probably have weaned himself at about 13 months, but his brother is still going strong, so here we are. I fought so hard to nurse them and to keep them off formula that it seems almost a shame now to wean them. They are only nursing about 3 times a day, but it is still special to me, especially at bed time. They don't interact so much when they are nursing (they tend to bug each other so I keep them as far away from each other as possible) so it is almost like nursing two seperate babies. I love it.

OP, go with your gut and ignore family members who think they know what's best for you and your family.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#33 of 37 Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Only 16 months here and nursing every few hours (or every 10 minutes depending on the time of day! ).

I think I've had about 3 of those lovely holding hands type nursing sessions since they were born. The rest are wrestling matches, with hair pulling, eye gouging, etc while latched on. I hate it, but don't really feel like I can complain because I'm the pro-bf one. My minimum is 2 years and I can imagine weaning shortly after because I'm pretty burnt out and not being such a great parent.

I will night wean at two years (or sooner if I can figure it out) and see if that helps my out look first. None of my daughters' friends are still nursing even the singletons.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#34 of 37 Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 AM

I am writing this at 4:30 a.m. because I have been nursing twins all night. I finally woke up, said, "I need a break," and escaped the family bed for a while. (Though, I hear a little one stirring as I type.)

Anyway, my girls are 16 months old and nurse all day and night. I don't mind the daytime nursing so much. In fact, I love most aspects of it. (OK, tandem nursing in the fitting room at the Outlet Mall isn't such a blast.) But, this nighttime nursing has got to stop. I am so tired, I want to cry.

My husband has been sleeping on the floor because there is no room for him in our bed. To make matters worse, I never want to have sex with him because I'm so exhausted and, frankly, tired of all the demands on my body.

I might be willing to put up with all this, except I would like to get pregnant again. The nursing has made it impossible for me to start my period, which is frustrating. I have dealt with fertility issues (hence, the twins!) and am approaching a big birthday in February. So, I am running out of time, and patience.

All that venting aside, I am a very proud that I have breastfed this long. My sisters threatened to make fun of me if I breastfed past one year -- so far, they haven't dared!
#35 of 37 Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this! I was feeling overwhelmed with nursing a few weeks back, so much so that I was at a breaking point, and I realized if I didn't night wean, I'm going to end up weaning completely. So, we've been working through a slightly modified version of Jay Gordon's nightweaning plan, and so far so good! I'm definitely feeling a lot more rested.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

It might not be right for you, or maybe not now, but it sounds like nightweaning is something to consider if you're getting that stressed over it.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#36 of 37 Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 PM

sada587954 - I ended up nightweaning my twins a few months ago (they were about a year older than yours at the time) and it's made a really positive difference. I had tried several months before that and it didn't go so well so I gave up - I'm not sure that what I did would work too well for younger ones like yours but I'll throw it out there just in case. The main thing I did was I made our bed a no-nursing zone. No more nursing in bed - hard and fast rule. When they equate snuggling in bed with nursing then it's going to be hard to escape that - it just becomes the routine. So I told them that we were not going to nurse in bed anymore and instead made it clear that in the evening, we nursed on the couch while doing storytime and that was that. There *was* crying for the first few nights but it honestly wasn't horribly bad, distressed crying (the way it had been the first time or two I tried this, which is why I feel confident that this was the right time for it and it was too soon before). My dh would offer to get them (it was usually just one of them - my big nurser) a cup of milk and that would tend to help. In the beginning they particularly took comfort by lying tummy to tummy with me but after 2 or 3 weeks of that, it all stopped and they've been sleeping really well since. My big nurser still wakes a good number of times most nights and will throw a fit if I don't snuggle him with my arm wrapped around him and sometimes he does wake up and just cry but it's not typical. I *can* say that I'm functioning much better now in daily life since my sleep life has improved. It's hard when you're so committed to nursing to come to a point where you know something has to give but I think it's really important to realize our limitations and make the choices that most benefit the family and in my case, nightweaning was an important one.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#37 of 37 Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Here is a light hearted reason to keep nursing.

I went to the local children's museum this morning (Sunday). As is to be expected each room is crowded with kids and parents. Except one of my twins is tired (recovering from fifths disease) and wants to nurse all the time. So she does. And it keeps clearing out the room we are in so we have first dibs on toys, activities, etc. Except the families who also have/had nursing toddlers who just keep doing their things. Sweet!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page