Napping at daycare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is almost a year old, which means he'll be moving to the "Little Toddler" room of his daycare (13-24 months). Right now in the infant room they let them nap on demand. There is no schedule. When he moves to the new room, they have scheduled naps at noon. I was told they don't let them nap in the morning so they are worn out by then.

Does anyone else's DCP do this? How do you transition a baby from 2-3 naps whenever they want to a scheduled one at noon? Is it realistic to expect a 13 month old to nap on schedule? I'm a little worried about this transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM

i worked in the infant room at a daycare,(6w-18months) and at `12 months they became pre-tods- no more bottles, baby food or high chairs, they ate at a little table, and for the most part napped on schedule. it takes a little bit for them to get used to it, but the caregivers understand that. if a child crashed out at 10, we just let them sleep and held lunch til they woke up. theres not much you can do to keep a baby awake if they dont want to be, ya know?

i would talk to your caregivers if youre worried about it. ask them about the transition process, and ask specific questions- what happens if he falls asleep early?

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 PM

I have worked in the toddler room too.

No bottles, no high chairs, pack N Plays etc..

They all sit together at the table and eat at the same time.

They seem to do fine with one midday nap. We fed the toddlers first. (each room had it's time to eat) and they went down for a nap by 11:30. We never woke up a sleeping child at the end of nap. We wouldn't pick up their cot until the child woke up on their own.

If they fell asleep on the floor early, we would only leave them there a short time, before at least putting them on a cot. Usually they woke up when we moved them.

There are lots of fun things going on, and most kids worry about missing out on the craziness. So, they stay awake, but sleep very well during nap time.

When it came time to put them down we would sit on the floor, and pat their backs til they fell asleep.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM

My daycare is like that. Not that structured but same basic idea. My 2 year old naps from 12-2 or whenever he wakes up. Lately, he hasn't been napping at all, but that's a whole different post.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 PM

DS's daycare does that too, but I know they make the transition gradually. Some kids aren't ready to go over to the toddler room right at 1 year and they understand that. I know some go over when they turn one and some take a little longer.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 11-25-2008, 01:55 AM

I remember being really stressed when my son was being moved up to the next level at just that age. They said if he was tired, he'd fall asleep on his own in the reading corner. I was like, whaaaat? That sucks. But you know what? It worked out fine. He transitioned into one nice long afternoon nap, during my days home with him I got a nice break, and he didn't suffer at all.
And you know, both of my kids have had scheduled naps after lunch and are great nappers. (DS gave his up at 3.5) A lot of my friends who were less routine-oriented in the nap department wound up with kids who gave up their naps early and fall asleep randomly in the car at 4:30 pm. Even if you follow AP practices about child led development, naps need to be scheduled IMO! For both you and your child's sakes

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
Old 11-25-2008, 01:56 AM

Yes, my daycare/preschool does this. Depending on the child there, some stay longer in the infant room, or whatever room, depending on readiness.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM

I was really concerned when this was happening with DS as he was transitioning from 2 naps down to 1 and he was going from a crib to a cot.

It was not a big deal at all. They work with the kids to get them through the transition and like a PP said, now on weekends I get a glorious 2-3 hour nap to clean....or do nothing

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !

User Tag List