Professor Mamas in 2009 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 560 Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carita - I just wondered because the more you have published, the less that the advisor/committee cares about the dissertation and defense. It least that is how it works in my field. Going through peer review is much more difficult that defending the dissertation (usually). in the Geosciences, I encourage my students to write their dissertation in paper format. Meaning that Ch. 1 is the intro Ch. 2 is paper 1 Ch. 3 is paper 2, etc....and tack on conclusions at the end.
Does your present job have a timetable that you must defend by?

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 560 Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM

i have to pay tuition out of pocket every semester until i defend so I have a time table - this dec.

hardly anyone in my field writes papers as their diss, but i do know it is that way in other fields. i do have a paper from my undergrad/early MA research, so i know i'm not completely dumb. i think i could have published in a lesser journal already easily like some peers, but thats not how my guy rolls.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#483 of 560 Old 08-19-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
i think i could have published in a lesser journal already easily like some peers, but thats not how my guy rolls.
And while this is a PIA right now, in the end it is a good thing. You'll have a quality paper. Hang in there - for a short term you can do lots.

The semester I was defending my diss. I had my 2 kids, had 50% appointment at a community college and 100% appointment at local university as a teaching adjunct. Life was totally nuts. My husband and I were talking about this the other day because I used to work at night 4 nights a week. I don't do that any more, but need to get in 100 lab hours ASAP -- I've been paid for them and don't want them hanging over my head. So....I see myself reverting to that craptastic schedule. Hopefully just for 5 weeks and then I'm done.

I spent the last 2 days in paid inservice. It was decent $$ but holy crap. It was a BAD inservice. Like yesterday's on using technology to teach millenials -- I have a blog (or two), I use message boards (duh, here I am), I have my very own flickr account (my MIL has her own too, I think they missed how popular they are). There are loads of new tech things I could use, but she didn't really talk about them.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#484 of 560 Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 AM

I know kerc. And he has added a few things to my plate in terms of what i need to do on the diss, but I can't get *too* mad, because they are great suggestions, it just is so frustrating to be trying to start a new job and finish this up.

LOL on bad inservice. Meanwhile, I am loving our new tech guys. 75% of our tech dept up and left for new jobs and retirement and we hired a 3rd party firm to interim. They are awesome. We just got an IT support e-mail address for the college - um, yeah! welcome to the 21st century! now I can give my request, get acknowledgement of my request and there's a docket. amazing! LOL Plus they said they may be able to hook me up with a Linux bad boy workstation! crossing fingers. I am over here feeling guility for requesting a dual quad core and my collegues at my gradU are FBing about running jobs on a 160G RAM machine. Ahh, but thus is life...

And just finished my course calendar and syllabus for one class. Just have to do one for the other class. Thrilled that I only have 2 preps this semester.

A PhD = + +
#485 of 560 Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 PM

So IT was totally dissapointing and I jinxed myself. They reneged on their promise for a Linux machine and still have not given me a machine. Classes start Monday, so I sat at the computer cluster this PM printing syllabi. I am a bit irked. I had better get this computer Monday...

Then my secretary (small school, one secretary for all shipping/receiving) gave me the wrong book for my class!!! I didn't get it until Monday!!! So I got both books with only a week to prepare. I am really frustrated at her for losing track of both of them. Honey better than vinegar - I keep trying to smile and nod my head. She also made an executive desicion to just not get me a whiteboard because someone was trying out a cheaper rollout version. Well I want something 2 weeks ago! I don't want to wait 2 more weeks, I CAN"T wait 2 more weeks.

Seriously, if there were only 2 things I need for research, it would be a whiteboard and a computer. and if there were only 2 things I need for teaching it would be books and a computer. Why is this not important enough to anyone else but me?

My director is great. I know I could probably talk to her, but I'd rather just vent here. Ah okay, I'll just drop her a status update so she knows that I am still waiting on my whiteboard & computer.

my 3 days of orientation and meetings was not too painful & even got to hang out with some really nice people. My Center/dep is all women and only 1 guy! Classes start Monday. I have first class already planned for Monday & class already planned for Wednesday as well for 1 prep. I wish I had more done, but well - see vent above...

Have you all started up yet?

A PhD = + +
#486 of 560 Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Carita - sorry about not getting the tools you need to get the job done correctly. I hope that everything goes smoothly from here on out.

Me - we started about 2 weeks ago. I'm in the throws of figuring out how to juggle my responsibilities as a mom and a professor. You'd think I'd have this figured out. However, for the 2nd year in a row, DH wanted to coach high school football on a volunteer basis. He is a SAHD and does a lot for the family. But, it is a serious time committment and one that says I have to take over family duties at 3:00 pm and also do all the nights by myself. With 4 kids, the youngest two are 4 months and 21 months. It has been challenging but I'm figuring it out.

On a brighter note, what can you all tell me about a sabbatical. How do I get a paid position? Who should I contact? Any advice?

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#487 of 560 Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Carita, getting a linux box is also a pretty big fight over here unless you are in a department where the IT folks are used to that (physics, CS...). I use a Mac and use it for the unix undershirt quite regularly. Would that be a solution?

D, no solid understanding on how sabbatical stuff gets paid here. I know of a couple specific places that offer fellowships, but no broader strategy.

We don't start until late Sept here. I've got 40 in my class this fall, up from 9 when I first taught it. For any other class that would be no big deal, but this requires a huge 1 on 1 commitment from me, plus access to equipment and samples. So I'm up to three lab sections and 2 TA, and I'm still terrified. Maybe we should go back to the 80s and I can make this the weeder class again (mineralogy). Except, of course, I actually like to teach it well.

DH is back to work full time starting Sept 8 after a year out of work. This is his first permanent position since he quit his first job in 2001 to start following me around the country for my career. He's spent a lot of time being the at home parent and the rest as a contract engineer, not quite satisfied. We're in the process of hiring a nanny, and considering how that went last time, we're pretty gun shy.

I'm giving 12 seminar talks around the country this year as well. Only the ones in MN aren't scheduled yet. I'm excited and already exhausted by the thought.

I'm giving a talk during a quick trip to Minneapolis Monday. I should probably start working on that. <Sigh>

AGU abstracts coming due... Geo types -- anyone going?
#488 of 560 Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 AM

Geofizz - exciting changes for your family. GL with all the traveling and teaching. I don't have TAs, but there are only about 45 on my roster this semester as well between 3 sections. I count myself very fortunate since none of my sections are full.

thanks namaste - i understand about your SAHD. DH decided this year to go back to grad school. unfortunately one of his classes is a night class 2x/week which means I have to do both kid pick-ups. I have to leave work at 4, I won't get home til 5:45 on those days and then have to get the kids dinner. Fortunately he should be home before night time routine, or I htink I might go crazy.

on the computer... in a small college all faculty share an IT dept, so my needs are diff than for example someone in humaties, it does make it difficult. the last person who needed a mac had to write that into their hiring contract. when i get the phantom machine, I will run my best stuff and try to break it ASAP. If I can't, then it'll be good and I'll get my results. If I can, then I have grounds for the computer I want LOL.

A PhD = + +
#489 of 560 Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 AM

We started last week. I only have 14 enrolled in the classroom course, which is a great size (and, I think, just big enough to keep the class from being canceled). I keep alternating between stressing about the semester and talking myself back down. Overall, J is doing fine and is (unlike her older sister) taking a bottle while I'm gone. However, she's been waking up about 10 minutes before I get home. At that time of night, she really wants mama and she wants nothing to do with bottles or DH, so that's sad. I'm hoping she learns to sleep 10 minutes longer, but doubtful because it's only two nights a week.

ETA: I have my two online sections too and they are par for the course. One day my students will learn that the college hired me to be a professor and they hired separate people to be 24/7 tech support.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#490 of 560 Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM

We started on Friday. I ended up with just the Environmental Science class. Works better with getting my clinic opened in two weeks.

I've got 28 in the class, and we are shoehorned into a little room. But... It takes me less than 5 minutes to walk from home to school.

Tonight is my last night at the other place I'm teaching and I'm almost giddy with joy. It will be so nice to not have to drive for almost an hour each way, with a 3.5 hour teaching chunk and office hours in the middle.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#491 of 560 Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 AM

We start next week, but I'm at a conference the first week of classes.... so I start the week after that.

Geo - I'm considering an abstract this year. It's during our last week of classes, so I can't make it until Wednesday - morning if I'm lucky. I'm a bit torn. My grad students are working away though.

I just had a new grad student arrive and then decide at the last minute not to enroll. He left. I'm stuck with a project I was counting on his help with and an empty TA slot. Good start to the year.

This will be a busy semester. The clouds of panic are drifting over me in full force.

And Geo - MN in February is quite nice
#492 of 560 Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM

We start Thursday. Friday for me since I don't have Thursday classes. My classes aren't ready, my office is a pit and my littlest girl just cannot sleep without coming into our bed in the middle of the night. I cannot sleep in the middle and she wants to be by my side of the bed. I need to figure this out ASAP.

No AGU for me this year.

Kaybee that sucks about your non matriculating student. However, I think it is better to have him/her not start than to quit a few months in.

Still figuring out the logistics of who pays for what around here and who to call for various things. It makes me feel better to know that I've been here 2 years and still have issues.

#493 of 560 Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Kaybee, I'll have to take your word for it about MN in Feb. I'll be back in April

Give your final on the last day of class and come to AGU.

A colleague had that happen with a student two years ago. He enrolled but never actually started classes, never moved here. Then he showed up last year taking advantage of a loophole where if you have matriculated then you don't have to reapply. Imagine his shock when his TA funding was not available.

I have 40 students in mineralogy this fall.
#494 of 560 Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 PM

kerc - a trundle or put her in the middle?

kaybee - that stinks... on the upside, maybe you can find a jobless senior from your program to take the slot. my bil just went last week to speak to the grad chair of a program he was interested in since he just got laid-off. they said "can you start next week?" was a blessing. the pay is less than unemployment, but include health and makes him more marketable.

dmitrizmom - yay for a walking commute! i do have a drive but on campus i have relatively little walking and no battlingfor a parking spot, so that is nice.

pak, all done now, gotta go

A PhD = + +
#495 of 560 Old 09-05-2010, 12:29 PM

well - first week over. wth did the time go??!!! i don't even have any grading to do yet and i feel i can hardly keep up!

A PhD = + +
#496 of 560 Old 09-08-2010, 01:52 PM

THis is a GSA year for me, no AGU this year.

#497 of 560 Old 09-10-2010, 01:41 PM

I bring you poetry. Love it.

First official week over. Life is much better now that one child is in school. (We're hardcore about education here: we can't start until after labor day due to the state fair timing. Locally we start the Thursday after labor day, which leads to two weeks of work at the university without reasonable childcare. Oy!)

Leah is sleeping better. Last night she asked me to come to her bed and cuddle her (vs. wanting to be in my bed). More manageable because I can leave and not worry about losing my alarm clock.

#498 of 560 Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM

kerc - lol. i showed an expoential function 1st day of class and told them that that curve modeled absences versus difficulty with material. i thought the south was hardcore startng so early, because i'm sure it had nothing to do with the timing of football season.

made it through my first all school faculty meeting. the two new hires stuck out like sore thumbs. we were the only 2 taking notes LOL.

i teach 2 sections of the same classs & sometimes forget what i told one class on the side vs another. i hink i might need to institute some post-it note system. apparently 1/2 my class had 1.2 and 1.1 to hand in and the other half only had 1.1. absent minded prof here.

A PhD = + +
#499 of 560 Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM

I feel like the last one back here. Classes started last week, but I missed them to go to a conference (BEST conference I've ever been to - yay!).

So next week I dive into the insanity of coursework, one kid in school, one starting preschool, multiple drop-offs, different pick-ups, and I'm a week behind in everything.

We should start a "Professor Moms 2011" thread - that way it will be good for the next few years...
#500 of 560 Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Bad thing that happened to be me this week: There are two new professors in my field at my school (me + a friend from graduate school). Friend did his phd on the local geology. "Friend" is not a super close friend, and actually I like his wife better, but that's a whole other story... Someone asked me to id some rocks (fossils) from the lakeshore. Usually there are not fossils in my area, especially not coral fossils. So I farmed it off to friend, thinking it was some strange thing found in the sediment. Nope, actually was a coral fossil (my "thing" was fossil coral) and is pretty meaningful (i.e if the location is as good as random guy claimed, it's a paper). So much for trying to farm out some of the b.s. calls that come to me. Ah well.

Good thing that happened
: Since they hired two people out of the search for one, and since we overlap in specialty quite a bit for a small department, there's some room for us figuring out new turf. I'm really interested in developing the educational end of things -- how to get the preservice teachers to do real science without fear and not gloss over things. There's a education dept. guy who is assigned to "science" and he cornered me at the faculty picnic, telling me he would like to set up a meeting between me and a few local district people. This would be viewed as "scholarship" by my institution and would be very favorable (and his facilitation makes it super easy to get involved). Second nice thing -- he is going to support my suggestions for new courses. And in fact suggested that one of them would be a good publication (and suggested the titles of several education related journals to look for).

Today I took my kids out to scope out my geology field trip that will happen in October. There was lots of b*tching in the car on the way there (and much fun once we were there). I couldn't help but think: You guys better be glad I'm not a field geologist, we could do this kind of recon every weekend. I've heard from several children of geologists that they will NEVER become a geologist due to all the driving around with their dads they did.

#501 of 560 Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 PM

kaybee - i was thinkng the same thing about a new thread.

kerc - sorry about the farmed out paper. very cool about getting involved in education! i am very interested in the same. working on some follow up stuff now and hope to start prepping a MS this spring or summer (since i have a 4 course teaching load in the spring). i do hear it is much harder to get published, so i wish i had a mentor in the ed field to work with. i tried to corner someone at the nearby U, but she's already well established and i think she wishes she could farm me out to someone else LOL.

i saw my center director and she was finishing a meeting with a work study. they were making plans to catch the tide the next day at 5 am, meaning they had to leave at 3:30 am. she told me if she had it to do over, she would have been a mycologist because fungi are plenty in the nice fall and no tides to schedule around LOL

A PhD = + +
#502 of 560 Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
We should start a "Professor Moms 2011" thread - that way it will be good for the next few years...
I need to start planning more of my life that way.

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed here. With R in school (for almost 3 hours) I had a fleeting fantasy that I'd be able to get something done. Not much, mind you, but something because J couldn't possibly spend that entire time nursing.

Yep, I was wrong. It's kind of driving me batty, but OTOH, she's 6 months old (already!!!!) and her first tooth broke through tonight and I don't want to wish away my baby's first year.

My world music class continues to be engaged and interested. The online class? Well, I'm still hoping a few of them (the ones lacking computer literacy and/or the ability to communicate clearly in writing) will drop. I've literally been asked if students can do an assignment due in October before October (yes, and that's why all the instructions and everything else are available) and had several conversations with students who seem to think stating "it won't work" is sufficient for me to troubleshoot, even after I've asked very specific questions. :roll Thus far, I've resisted the urge to tell them that my crystal ball and magic wand haven't arrived in the mail yet.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#503 of 560 Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM

real - I'll join your club. but i have no excuse. i feel like i am just treading water and I have both kids in school FT. Well to be fair I don't get to work til 8 or 8:30 and leve about 3:30 or 4 everyday, but still! Next semester will be worse with 4 classes to teach.

A PhD = + +
#504 of 560 Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Can I join the professor mamas tribe too?? I'm a few weeks into my first semester ever as a professor and I feel like I'm barely half a step ahead of my students!!!! And of course, I'm trolling MDC during naptime instead of prepping my class for Friday or grading the stack of quizzes in front of me...

Anyway, I was so delighted to see this tribe! Can I join???

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#505 of 560 Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Classes start tomorrow. 42 enrolled in a class where I can comfortably teach 10. Dossier due at some point in the future, though no one will tell me exactly when. I've got a friend in music whose dossier is due Oct 1, so I assigned myself that due date.

I seem to be failing at the treading water thing at the moment, admitting to drowning. Back to course prep before dashing off to some "start of school" shin dig that I now mostly view as a time suck. Must. Correct. Attitude.
#506 of 560 Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM

On treading water: The solution to that drowning feeling (both really and figuratively) is to try to find a way to relax and do something a little different. In the lake it usually means to try for a deep breath, putting my head back and trying to calm my legs down for floating. In real life I have to do the same -- find a way to that inner calm, even when the world around me is c*r*a*z*y.

I was just asked to take a leadership role in the local birth community, because I have life experience that is valuable and because "you're a person who can get things done." I'm blown away because some of the women in the community feel that the only real birth is a home birth (both of mine were hospital births) and also it is such a compliment to have someone tell you you can get stuff done (especially when you feel like in other aspects of your life you can't). It is up for debate for me. I think this community is a great circle of support, but I'm not sure if I have it in me to take a leadership role in a group I've back-burnered for about 5 years.

On another note: I don't teach on Tuesday. I made the commute this morning to my office just to put in an appearance and: power was out. I have a windowless office. Good thing I contributed to the CO2 problem and wasted an hour by driving over there.

Geofizz: I cannot believe that your department regularly had only 10 students enrolled in that class. I think that's more of a reflection of how poorly things were before you arrived. You are obviously a rock star, but seriously, HUGE institution, good reputation in your field, class required for a major (there and everywhere) and only 10 students?

#507 of 560 Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Few universities have more than 10-15 majors per year. We're at 40+ now, making us "huge." ASU, Colorado, and Penn State have more, but not many others. Penn State has multiple tracks, and I believe that its track that requires mineralogy is also at the same level or smaller. Colorado gets most of its mineralogy students through materials science.

A recent announcement came down that the freshman class will grow by 2700 in the next few years. It does not appear as though anyone in charge of making that decision looked at classroom space. As it is, my room is cramped at 30. The only way to get a bigger room is for us to have known that we'd have this many a year ago to get into the university classroom pool. While I don't want to be turning away majors, the fire marshall gets involved if I add any more. Indeed, I can't have a peer review of teaching until I know that there are students that don't show up regularly or someone drops.
#508 of 560 Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Few universities have more than 10-15 majors per year.
Puts my life experience into perspective. My small liberal arts college had 18 majors when I graduated. More regularly I think 8-10. But then again, it's known as a place that people go for geology.

So one thought I had was that your class requires a rock star TA. 42 students requires 2. Does that mean you have to recruit students who are good at teaching AND research to work for you?

#509 of 560 Old 09-23-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A colleague had that happen with a student two years ago. He enrolled but never actually started classes, never moved here. Then he showed up last year taking advantage of a loophole where if you have matriculated then you don't have to reapply. Imagine his shock when his TA funding was not available.

We just got the TA listings for the fall quarter (right on time, considering classes started yesterday...) Guess who has not only a TAship now, but a *choice* class for majors?

Wow. Stunning.

And I got my raise info for the year. There is justice in this world occasionally.
#510 of 560 Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:

We just got the TA listings for the fall quarter (right on time, considering classes started yesterday...) Guess who has not only a TAship now, but a *choice* class for majors?
why does that not happen to me? (blow off something big and have something decent come of it?)
Quote:
Wow. Stunning.

And I got my raise info for the year. There is justice in this world occasionally.
nice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page