Professor Mamas in 2009 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 560 Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious to see how others have dealt with laptop use. I wavered on banning laptops in my lg lecture course, but I didn't. Our school actually requires students in some colleges to purchase a laptop. It seems counter-intuitive to ban them when they students are required to purchase them. I like the idea of banning them without permission - it might be a nice way to get students to come and introduce themselves, too...

We don't have a problem in faculty meetings, but they are small. The only person who leaps out of the room to answer his phone is the one who is caring for 3 elderly parents and wants to make sure nobody's dieing on him.
#62 of 560 Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
We don't have a problem in faculty meetings, but they are small. The only person who leaps out of the room to answer his phone is the one who is caring for 3 elderly parents and wants to make sure nobody's dieing on him.
LOL. Aforementioned person is dd1's godfather. I'm pretty sure that he pulled that kind of stunt well before old age began to take out his family.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#63 of 560 Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 PM

I let students use and patrol around the room to make sure people are not chatting while i am lecturing. it works fine.
#64 of 560 Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi all-

Something happened to my original posting. I need guidance! I am lost and can't seem to find my way. I'm a mom of 5 month old twins and am on the market. I got shot down for my third year review because of political reasons, which is actually a good thing because they are getting rid of my department anyway. So here is my questions:

1. I've just interviewed and am not sure whether to ever mention this to my potentially new department, who think that my research productions would very much merit tenure.

2. How do I start to balance the twins and research?

3. My partner is getting his PhD this Dec. How do you negotiate a spousal hire, because he needs a job too?

I'm so glad i found this forum because I am really feeling lost and stresed trying to balance everything.
#65 of 560 Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome!

That sucks about your review. Do you have a tenure delay? Do you have an opportunity to respond?

1) No, other departments don't need to know about the negative review.
2) I can't advise on the issue of having TWO babies, but I can say that at some point I did feel as though I was finally getting my brain back. Until then, I clung to my career by showing up everyday.
3) Spousal hires are negotiated once you have an offer. It might be a bit difficult for an ABD, though. Check if your new university would have an ADVANCE grant or another office or group dedicated to recruitment and retention of women.
#66 of 560 Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM

kaybee - I don't have a policy either, I think I'm going to have to make one but in my 100+ classes I only have two or three laptops.

DanteLoganMom Weloome!

I'm sorry that your review was not good...you do not need to share that review when looking for other jobs.

I have 3 living children and try to balance research. Although, not twins, managing 3 is difficult (one is an infant). My rules are that while I'm at work, I do work related things whether teaching or research. At home, I'm with my family and only do family things. After the kids go to bed, if I need some more time to prepare for the next day then that is when that gets done. I'm a field researcher so sometimes I bring my family along for research.

I don't know about spousal hires but I agree with Geofizz.

Keep us updated

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#67 of 560 Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 PM

Welcome DLMom!

I'm half of an academic couple - it can be hard to find 2 positions in one place, and I feel like I was handed the Holy Grail landing a TT position here. Some advice from others going through this: 1) What Geofizz said - you interview for the position and only after being offered a position do you ask about spousal hires. And make sure you ask for what you need for your dh. 2) Make sure you both keep focusing on your career even through bumps in the road and less-than-desirable positions. They are more likely to hire you both when you are both good candidates, 3) You have to look at both careers when deciding where to go and what job to take, and 4) Good luck!

There's a nice collection of stories (from a geology perspective) here:
http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorksho...reer.html#case

Sometimes I find it helps to see what creative strategies others have come up with.
#68 of 560 Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM

I've totally iphoned during faculty meetings.

DLMom - agreed with what wendy said. i hope you find a better place!

hi to all. sorry so brief, it's one of those weeks.
#69 of 560 Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 PM

I'm in a strange job right now. I'm term to term this year in a teaching position at a state liberal arts college (that's not that liberal arts-y). The had a failed search last year (and did the search for the geology position (in a bio dept/really a science dept) with one of the geographers on leave). They thought they would do a search for a geologist this year again, but given the financial state of the state didn't get permission for a permanent line. They did get permission for an academic staff year-long convertable to tenure track line (that's me next year). More than one of the faculty members has told me that next year is basically a year-long interview and implied that the position is all but mine if/when it converts. I'm not sure if there's an interview process or if they just convert my position. In any event, obviously a little but stressful because I could do a crap load of teaching prep / dept. outreach/ etc. and not get the tenure track line. BUT even with misgivings about the job and department, I think I do want to try for that end result and would like to negotiate a bit of a job for my spouse as his current situation is looking really crappy soon and we like our geographic location pretty well. So.....

How do I let the department know I'm actively doing outreach? Meaning I have lined up three classroom visits to the local middle school, kaybee and I taught about volcanoes in kindergarten with our dc's class, I'm headed down to the local community college run by the Native American tribe to visit and chat with students, etc. These are all things folks talk about doing in the faculty meetings (to which I am invited) but no one actually does (because it requires moving outside of their comfort zones). I want folks to know I'm going, but no one even knows if I'm in my closet of an office so it's not like I'll be missed if I'm not here.

Before hiring the geologist they plan on revamping the Earth Science curriculum. Stupid, I know. BUT I also get a shoot at designing the curriculum to best-match my expertise. (I just wrote a syllabus for a course proposal on Earth's climate, which I'm slated to teach next year in my one-year long teaching interview). They've asked me design a similar course encorporating the "four spheres" that science teachers need to address to pass the secondary education praxis exam: biosphere, lithosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere. Question: Do the scientists here think it's a bit much to have all that in a 100 level course as the only course teachers will take? I'd like to argue that I could do three and students could take a biology course of their choice to fill the fourth. My concern is that I want preservice teachers to be able to identify simple rocks and minerals as well as look at simple weather patterns, volcanoes, earthquakes, glaciers,surface water and groundwater. Any thoughts? I don't want to make a huge fit with the faculty and p.o. someone, on the other hand I don't want to be struggling to fit it all in and discuss at a meaningful level.

#70 of 560 Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Kristin, that has the potential to be a great thing for you and your family.

On the outreach, a good way to let people know what you're doing is to ask to borrow something. "Hey, Dr. InCharge -- I'm giving the first of a sequence of presentations to the middle school tomorrow, and I would love to be able to show them <course demo>. Would that be ok?"

On the course planning, you could seek someone's advice. Again, you are seeking advice but really telling them: "I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about the 4 spheres requirement. I see it as <your interpretation of what is necessary for teacher>, so my ideal set of courses would be <what needs to happen>. Am I correct in understanding that the expectation is to do this in one course, or can I broaden it to 3 classes?"
#71 of 560 Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 PM

kerc - I think Wendy has some great ideas on how to broach the subjects to faculty. I was also thinking that you might turn in a end of the year summary of the work that you have done in the past year. Even though, I know they probably don't require it but it could be a good way to the let the chair know what you have been doing and what you could do in the future.

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#72 of 560 Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
They've asked me design a similar course encorporating the "four spheres" that science teachers need to address to pass the secondary education praxis exam: biosphere, lithosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere. Question: Do the scientists here think it's a bit much to have all that in a 100 level course as the only course teachers will take? I'd like to argue that I could do three and students could take a biology course of their choice to fill the fourth. My concern is that I want preservice teachers to be able to identify simple rocks and minerals as well as look at simple weather patterns, volcanoes, earthquakes, glaciers,surface water and groundwater. Any thoughts? I don't want to make a huge fit with the faculty and p.o. someone, on the other hand I don't want to be struggling to fit it all in and discuss at a meaningful level.
For pre-teachers, I'd want to check what their requirement load before taking one class and turning it into 4... but for pre-science teachers - yes, I think you need more than one class to cover all of that. Another possibility is to teach the 100-level survey course, but then require teachers to take some # of upper-level courses in the spheres of their choosing. Then you wouldn't be stuck teaching 3 100-level courses. You could develop an upper level course or two in geo, atmo, and/or hydro to complement the bio in the dept already.
#73 of 560 Old 02-20-2009, 12:47 AM

I should clarify: I want to teach one class that covers 3 of the 4 spheres and let them go to other courses for that 4th sphere.

#74 of 560 Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I should clarify: I want to teach one class that covers 3 of the 4 spheres and let them go to other courses for that 4th sphere.
Ah - righto! That makes more sense! That seems like a reasonable (and minor) tweak to the original plan. And it would at least expand their science horizons in the earth/bio systems world to 2 classes instead of one.

And a big on the potential TT shift to your position. That would be great for all of you!
#75 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I just typed out a huge rant with way too many details. I would be wise not to post anything about this at all, so it's just:
#76 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM

kristin - on the outreach, obviously have all that in your cv. the dept should have an outreach committee and if they don't they need to make one and put you in charge of it. since you're already doing it, this won't be too much work but will raise the visibility. also, how's your dept website? take pictures at your events and post them (make sure you are in some of them). good publicity for the dept that benefits you indirectly.
as for the spheres... i agree that sounds like alot of breadth and not much depth. i guess my intro level covers litho+hydro pretty well, touches on atmo but doesn't go bio much (although, organisms feature into the whole picture so maybe...). on one hand there's an argument for just doing what they want. on the other hand, what about tapping some of the SERC resources - showing them some great syllabi that include broad introduction to science but still have some 'teeth' to them in certain areas? i like teaching the earth as it relates to all these other topics but not having to provide an actual introduction to the other sciences.

wendy ??
#77 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to be cryptic. There been some pretty crappy stuff going on here for about a year (though in retrospect, probably longer than that). I'd managed to avoid all parts of it until last week. I'm taking appropriate measures, those around me (chair, fellow faculty, hr) are very supportive and understanding, but everyone's hands are tied.

I'd written out a lot here because I needed to vent, but then decided this was too public. I copied and pasted it into an email to kerc instead. :
#78 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
wendy ??
Wendy just dropped me an email....keep her in your thoughts today. Icky situation going on there.

advise please:
I told ya'll about my job situation. It's working out ok and I think they like me. The students do (my best evals ever were last fall in the midst of 1.5 full time jobs + phd defense).

There's now an opening in East Asian history there. It's a 9 month (no mention of renewable) academic staff position. The person who currently holds it taught last fall: East Asian (2 sections), US Survey, and a history of US-East Asian relations (advanced course). My husband, underemployed is a recent U.S. Military Historian. He'd struggle to teach east asian (but we all know it can be done at the 100 level), but his big area is Vietnam. Technically: US Historian + Military are his main fields, Middle East History is his second (they required a minor and that was it). Does he apply? Does he call the tenured prof (in a dept of 4) who was in E's grad program just before him? Do I try to find someone I know? Do we just sit on it and worry about it when/if I get a longer term position? Currently dh is adjunct at 3 colleges. It would be *so* nice to move down to just one. Plus he'd really like to teach at a smaller college.

#79 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM

cross posted with W.

#80 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Rockdr: do you know anything about the workshop on teaching about energy that I just got an email about (SERC related). I'm considering trying to make it work. Looking for sources of airfare right now....

#81 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

SERC workshops are great and worth the time.

On the job, there is zero harm in applying. Asking questions about the position also is fine. He might want to cast it as: "I'm really interested in this opportunity, and I have a lot of background due to the Vietnam link. Can you tell me more about the position?" There will be quite a bit of subtext in the response he gets to gauge if that's too much of a stretch.

Drinking coffee and eating a yummy muffin due to Kristin's email response. Thanks, k.
#82 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Getting ready to apply for a full time faculty position at one of my alma maters. They want a letter of intent - what all needs to go in? It is teaching Neuroanatomy with labs, 4 days a week with decent hours and benefits. I would love to get out of adjunct land and into full time with benefits. The last prof to teach this class has been teaching it for 30+ years (and he was amazing and current).

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#83 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM

I have no issue with laptops during lecture. What I have an issue with is text messaging during lecture! It is incredibly rude. Personally, I prefer to take notes on my laptop, that way I can organize as I go. I am sure that many students feel the same way.
#84 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM

kristin - yes i think that workshop is going to be great. I already do alot of petroleum geology teaching but would like to expand my repertoire to some of the business/econ and environmental issues. At the moment I am hesitant to apply b/c it's scheduled for a busy time (field work) for me. but maybe.
also they sometimes have travel funds you can apply for...
#85 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM

I've attended two SERC workshops: Teaching Structural Geology and Teaching Introductory Geology and both were worth my time. They do have some travel funds if you do not have any other source of funding.

((((HUGS)))) Wendy

Hi CJ, going to China this year? or Mongolia?

#86 of 560 Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 PM

SERC workshops are great!

Wendy - (kerc stopped by) I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

Kristin - Definitely have him make an inquiry. That will help him find out more about the position and he can also take the opportunity to introduce himself to someone in the dept and let him know he's in town and interested. He could always offer to give a seminar, too. It always helps to know the other historians around town (well, I suppose it would help if you are a historian).

Dmitrizmom - Let the committee know which job you are applying for and why you are a great candidate for that position. Make sure you tailor your letter to that school and that position and show you are really excited about the possibility of working there. (And never address your cover letter "Dear Sirs:" - that one dropped off my list real quick)
#87 of 560 Old 02-25-2009, 04:28 AM

kerc--I'd definitely have him apply, along with all the advice you've already gotten.

geofizz--sounds awful. (Well, I don't know what precisely sounds awful, but it sounds like it would sound awful. ) I hope the situation resolves pretty quickly, and in your favor.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#88 of 560 Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM

no Asia for me this year D. (though I am planning a europe trip )Have shifted focus somewhat to closer-to-home and we're thinking about ttc #2 this summer. How about you? I am still SO impressed that you have kept going out there. Also I can't believe Maya is 3 months already! How's she doing?
#89 of 560 Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM

I'm off to India in April, Maya is coming with me, no Nepal, Maybe China with AW. Fussy Maya gtg bbl

#90 of 560 Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 PM

another day but maya is still fussy. I'm so glad she is 3 months old and maybe will start feeling better once she is a year old. I'm a freak-a-zoid right now and am really paranoid about SIDS. I just know too many mamas now with babylosses. But, she is a pretty good sleeper and not as high-needs as my first baby. Still fairly high-needs but I'm not complaining. She starting giving me those huge smiles about 2 or 3 weeks ago. She knows just when I need them. Thanks for asking CJ. Is all well out in beautiful rock exposure land?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page