Professor Mamas in 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 560 Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Professor Mamas, sorry to crash your thread. We're moving this summer because of my husband's job, and I'm interested in applying for adjunct or lecturer positions at a couple of small schools or community colleges. Right now I'm a prosecutor in FL, and I have very little teaching experience--some instruction to law enforcement and 6 months as a substitute teacher in the public school system. Can you gals offer me any advice as to what should be included in my cover letter/letter of interest? TIA!

#122 of 560 Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Just Kate - sorry I missed your post a month ago now. One of the best things you can do is directly call the dean. Include in your cover letter examples of your teaching experience and be as specific as you can. Our local cc tends to hire lots of folks with non traditional teaching experience for fields like nursing, massage therapy, fire squad, etc. There just aren't as many people who tend to go from well-paying science jobs and opt for cc teaching.

I'm conflicted. I'm on summer break, with a paper to finish this summer (but my advisor and coauthor is on maternity leave so I'm in a holding pattern. OK but still I'd like to move forward on it).

Yesterday I saw a job posting for a job I'd love, but it's not tenure track. It's renewable. For a (well-respected) state school in the state with the worst economy in the nation. It would start in August (I think). I'm supposed to go back to teaching at our local liberal arts branch of a massive state university system, where hopefully they will be searching for a geologist on a tenure track basis this year and hopefully I would be the person they hire. No guarantee on either end.

: Last day of school (err, kindergarten that is), dh left to grade AP exams today, and dh also got a call last night for references for an out of town job in academia :. Today they called and wanted him to do a phone interview. I'm totally conflicted. If this had happened about 3 years ago I would have felt better, but I'm selfish and don't want to give up my current locale in favor of Fort Levinworth, KS.

I think I've decided the thing for me to do is keep my status quo, but the other sounds so dang appealing (it's in one of my favorite spots in the world). I think I'm not going to apply for it even, just so I don't have to make a decision. And then if dh gets his job, I'll stay here with kids so that we can hope the tenure track thing works out. If not, we move to flatlandia again. Blech. (By the way my only view of the entire state of Kansas has been I-70, and I viewed it as in the way of getting to Colorado. I'm sure it could be an ok place to live but there's fewer trees and fewer skiing options).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#123 of 560 Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 PM

Kristen, any chance California is your favorite place (I'm just guessing since I'd say we're home to the worst economy in the nation at the moment...)? If so, feel free to pm me before you decide whether or not to apply for the position. I'm tenure-track in the CSU system and still somewhat affiliated with the UC system. I'd be happy to share the good, the bad, the really bad, the insolvent, etc. from my vantage point. If I've got the state wrong, sorry (and really sorry for any state that's in worse shape than ours)!
#124 of 560 Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 PM

No Stefka, California is not the most favorite place. I think everyone says Michigan has the worst economy.

#125 of 560 Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Oh, yeah, Michigan might actually be in worse shape than us (although given the doom and gloom around here, that's hard to envision). Great schools there, though. At any rate, good luck with your decision.
#126 of 560 Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Yes, higher ed here in the Great Lake state, is not in great shape. Hiring is pretty much nonexistent here and I think pretty much all the state schools are in the same shape we are. UM and MSU may be slightly better off. But I think the only faculty positions getting posted are term appointments because those people are easier to let go if you have to. It would be a risky time to move to MI. On the plus side you can get a GREAT deal on a house pretty much anywhere.
#127 of 560 Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Hi there. Now the top tier research universities might be different, but here at Regional State University in the middle part of the Lower Peninsula, the job market looks far from bleak. I just hired a full-time tenure track faculty, and a whole bunch of departments in my university also hired a bunch of tenure track faculty. Most of the universities across the countries have hiring freezes, but we are actively hiring. (Sorry, we don't have a geology department.)

Although the national news coverage about the MI economy is pretty bleak, for higher ed, it's not nearly that bad. Part of it is because the state gives very little money to the universities, so the way our administrators see it, anything that Lansing cuts is not going to have a big impact. I think a big part of it is because here at Regional State University, we have the lowest tuition in the state, so our enrollment and enrollment at community colleges is actually record-breaking because many people are going back to school for retraining in these uncertain times.

So don't lose hope!
#128 of 560 Old 06-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Hi JustKate!

I hire adjuncts, although not in your discipline, but in the sciences.

In addition to calling the dean, I would email your cover letter and resume to the department chair. (I guess that would be the Criminal Justice Department?) As the chair, I'm the one who does the hiring, but my dean never tells me about the resumes or phone calls that he gets from people who would like to teach for my department. So I would suggest contacting the chair directly so that the chair can at least have your resume in his/her file.

Go ahead and put your teaching experience in your resume. Anything at all like what you have will help, even if it is not teaching in an actual college classroom. After all, everyone has to start somewhere. With all of your practical experience from work, I would think that would far outweigh your limited teaching experience.

Oh yes, and in your email to the chair, offer to set up an appointment at his/her convenience so that you can come in to meet with him/her to talk about future teaching possibilities. I like to invite such people to come to the university and meet a couple of the faculty for an informal face-to-face for about an hour. I am more likely to hire such a person because just an informal meeting like that gives me enough information to figure out if she would make a promising instructor. I don't think I would call it as formal as a job interview. Just a way to become familiar with the department.

Anyway, that's the way that I do it. Other schools might be different.
#129 of 560 Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 PM

hmm, page 4... must be summer!
just checking in to see how everyone is doing. are all the geo's off doing fieldwork? summer classes going ok for those teaching right now?

news with me is that I got my final tenure letter and a bfp all in the last month. woot!
#130 of 560 Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
news with me is that i got my final tenure letter and a bfp all in the last month. Woot!
woot!

#131 of 560 Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats twice over!

I don't do field work. I'm putting in a CAREER next month, so I'm chained to my desk writing BS about geophysics education.
#132 of 560 Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
just checking in to see how everyone is doing. are all the geo's off doing fieldwork? summer classes going ok for those teaching right now?

news with me is that I got my final tenure letter and a bfp all in the last month. woot!
Congratulations on both wonderful events!!!!!!!!!!!
~maddymama
#133 of 560 Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Congrats!

I'm mostly in the office right now (and since nobody else in my dept is, it's a productive place to be) with local field work going on in the background. It's getting harder to work inside though since summer finally started this week and it's beautiful outside. August is my field month - 4 weeks away from the kids - ouch!

Good luck with the CAREER grant Geo!
#134 of 560 Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 AM

Congrats CJ!!!! on both accounts. I'm very happy for you. Our mutual friend in my department is expecting in September. and Tenure too! Wow!!

Geo- good luck on the CAREER. I submitted one once but did not resubmit it.

I've been out in the field. I've only be home 2 weeks since APril 11. Busy Busy Busy.

Does anyone know how to get motivated for the summer?

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#135 of 560 Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am out of the country doing research with my LO for the summer. It has not been easy to deal with DS and do research at the same time, but I think that it is a wonderful experience for both of us. This is the most time I have spent with him since I was on Mat. leave.

As for motivation for summer - I keep reminding myself that I go up for tenure in just 2 more years, and I will be able to take it easy(easier) after that.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#136 of 560 Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Long time no...uh...post! I'm working on an article about academic moms with special needs kids & looking to hear anecdotal stories--if you or someone you know has a special needs child at any stage of the academic career, or especially anyone who has left an academic career to care for a special needs child and would like to share, please let me know by PM. I hope everyone here is having an excellent summer of rest and research!

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014.
#137 of 560 Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Who's ready for the Fall Semester to begin!!! (those of us on the semester system)

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#138 of 560 Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM

I'm ready and we began today. I have three online music appreciation classes. I was offered a fourth class--an evening world music class I used to teach, but had to turn it down. I love the class, but I'm just too sick with 1st tri stuff to have the energy to handle that class twice a week. I taught through part of 1st tri when pregnant with DD and it stunk.

OTOH, from what I heard about how they covered the class this semester, I think they might offer it to me in the spring. I did teach that class during my last trimester last time and I was tired but it was ok. They'll just need a sub come April. Anyhow, I'm really happy to have a decent class load this semester--and a manageable one while I get through the next 6 (or 12 or 16) weeks.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#139 of 560 Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 AM

I'm *almost* ready to go back. It helps that my dh effectively lost his local teaching gig and is now down to ~25% time. So we told our dear, beloved dcp that we wouldn't be back, we're tightening the wallet again and dh is looking for work. That makes the bittersweet-ness of me returning to work better: we need the money. I've enjoyed my vacation immensely. I have two weeks yet and have a little writing, a little lab work and a lot of class prep to do. DH is OOT today so I've got just one more day....

Kaybee is out of the country on a research trip. Her kids/spouse are missing her enough, but they are surviving. We have a standing evening playdate/happy hour with them on Mondays and last night had a lovely picnic at the nature center. Her oldest and my oldest were in school together last year and get along so well, most of the time. I'm so pleased that my dd can have friends who are boys, at age 6. Let's hope it continues.

#140 of 560 Old 08-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Hi! I guess I belong here now. I finished my PhD this May and I have an adjunct position for this fall. I'm actually looking forward to my two classes, it's been a couple years since I last taught. I was working in the government sector, but lost my job last spring. I am hoping that the PT teaching schedule will give me the time to continue writing up some of my own research and get it published.
#141 of 560 Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 AM

Hello, ladies!

I'll join. We begin on Monday, and I've spent the last couple of days getting my syllabi together and trying to get mentally ready to get into the grind. I'll be about 6 weeks along when we start, and I'm not telling work until about 12 weeks. So far, my health has been good. No m/s (knock on wood), but I do get exhausted! Fortunately, the exhaustion comes over me in the afternoon, and I teach morning classes. This should be an interesting semester!
#142 of 560 Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 PM

hi and welcome to sorin and slsurface!

am 13 weeks here at the start of this semester but have been feeling great, just like last time. Am telling students that I'm on sabbatical starting Jan 1 but at some point I will have to let them know the truth. I sort want them to adjust to the idea of me not being around as much first, before letting them know it's a baby. I feel like they'll excuse me for a sabbatical more readily than a kid, even though the end effect is the same if that makes any sense. anyway I don't know how I'll get through 4 defenses and theses this year (of my own advisees) but it's gotta happen one way or another. Fall term is always such a blur!
#143 of 560 Old 08-23-2009, 04:27 PM

CJ - I know what you mean Fall semster is so hard for me. I just wrapped up a defense and need that student to finish to corrections for the thesis. Congrats on making it to week 13! Will you really be on sabbatical leave or is officially maternity leave?

Welcome Sorin and slsurface!!

kerc - I hope your DH finds something soon.

kaybee - enjoy the field work!!!

Realrellim - gosh I hope it goes well teaching that many classes and being pg

AFM- I have 3.3 classes this semester...it is an overload for me but my Ph.D. students needed a class and I'm a sucker. I turn in my tenure package at the beginning of october. Uuughh. The thought of getting it together just turns my tummy. Field work was great this year but I didn't get much else done in the summer. I did spend a lot of time with the kids so that was great!

#144 of 560 Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM

Hi All,

I haven't even thought about classes for this fall yet - I'm still overseas doing field work in the tropics. I've been hot, sticky, and covered in sand for the past 3 weeks. One week to go! Work is going well, but I miss my kids like crazy!!! I think my dh is getting a bit worn down, too. [At least he'll understand better what it's like for me when he is gone week after week after week doing research in Chicago (like he will be again this fall).]

Luckily, classes don't start until after Labor day, I'm only teaching one class, and it's one I've taught before. It shouldn't be too hard to pull it together at the last minute.

I better send this off before our internet dies again. We have a trek planned tomorrow that took permission from the mayor, 2 air force colonels and the tourism board. What a zoo.

Hope all is going well for those of you already into the semester!
#145 of 560 Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
I haven't even thought about classes for this fall yet - I'm still overseas doing field work in the tropics. I've been hot, sticky, and covered in sand for the past 3 weeks. One week to go! Work is going well, but I miss my kids like crazy!!! I think my dh is getting a bit worn down, too. [At least he'll understand better what it's like for me when he is gone week after week after week doing research in Chicago (like he will be again this fall).]
: It might be that kaybee is married to someone who is a gluten for punishment as he just sent me an email telling me he's taking the kids this weekend to the major metro area 2+ hrs from us, to a ball game, overnight in a hotel, and a day at the state fair. Do I want to go? Umm no.

Help me out here. We've got a little situation on our hands at my house. Additional background info: after dh lost his teaching load we had to tell our dcp that we didn't need her anymore (or at least this fall). DD1 will be at school soon, dd2 will split her time with me and dh for the first 8 weeks when dh is teaching his First Year Experience (i.e. go to class and you'll do ok at the community college). Then after that she'll be with dh for the bulk of her daytime hours and I won't work at night so much.

#146 of 560 Old 08-27-2009, 06:37 PM

I loved this thread in 2008 and somehow it fell of my radar! :

I teach religion in the midwest at a small, struggling liberal arts college. I've had two discussions this week about when God created the dinosaurs.

Our semester's underway and I'm starting to hit my stride. I think. My two independant studies are going well, I stood up for a student to the dean of students today (no, he can't design her internship to fill a position open because of budget shortfalls - my students are not his free labor pool), my classes are shaping up, and I finally read my evals from last spring (I've had them a couple of weeks) and they were pretty good.

I'm tired, though, and conference paper anxiety has set in - especially for the paper I'm presenting with a colleague who is a. on sabbatical b. out of the country c. flakier than usual and d. distracted by other stuff. Yeah, in a month.

Thank God for good public school, a great afterschool sitter, a newly gainfully employed husband, and running...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#147 of 560 Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I teach religion in the midwest at a small, struggling liberal arts college. I've had two discussions this week about when God created the dinosaurs.
The, ahem, evolutionary biologist, in my department is an intelligent design person.

must run, soccer this afternoon. Glad things are looking up P.

#148 of 560 Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I routinely have 1-2 students drop each quarter when I start my planetary geology class with a description of Earth formation 4.55 billion years ago.
Quote:
Thank God for good public school, a great afterschool sitter, a newly gainfully employed husband, and running...
:

Today was the last day of DS's daycare -- the one that took 2.5 years to get into. DH hasn't worked for 6 months, and we just can't swing it.

DH got a "are you still available" email from a guy he interviewed with in June. Of course, we have no sense the guy has money to pay DH, but we're suddenly trying to figure out what it takes to reinitiate care. :
#149 of 560 Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 PM

Geo, we should so draft a handout sometime comparing geologic time with mythological/religious time.

Just went to a work picnic thingie at which the assistant academic dean told me nicely that I could just stop working on a grant application because of the numerous people who are not me who dropped the ball already... sigh. I hate this stupid administrative bullshit. And the asst. dean has it in for one of my colleagues so she's pinning things on him, and my closest colleague, who stuck me with the damn grant app, is someone I can't afford to be on the outs with.

Gah.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#150 of 560 Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
The, ahem, evolutionary biologist, in my department is an intelligent design person.
Scary.

Quote:
Geo, we should so draft a handout sometime comparing geologic time with mythological/religious time.
That would be fun! Just let me know what you need.

AGU abstracts anyone? I'm keeping it to three this year. : 7 last year completely did me in.

I'm chair of a major committee for a national consortium I'm affiliated with. The excrement hit the oscillatory device this week, and now I get to help smooth things over. Great.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page