Professor Mamas in 2009 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome Professor Mamas! Here's your place for advice, commiseration, and celebration of life as a mom and professor.

2008 Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Back to teaching this quarter. I'm teaching intro for the first time. I've got my first lecture done, 2 great TA (+1 lousy), and all I have to do tomorrow is get my syllabus to meet university standards and get it copied.

2008 was pretty good for me: I got the fall quarter off from teaching, which helped me get a total of 6 papers submitted (2 are already in print, 1 in press, 3 in review). I also got two new grants started. They are small, and I need another big federal one to make my tenure case solid. I expect my 4 year review is this spring, but things are so disorganized in the department, that everyone will likely forget it until the last minute. This will result in a mad scramble on all parts. I'm trying to get my part done to reduce the scramble.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teaching at the community college again this spring: one science and one math. I'm working on finding full-time employment in my area of training and if that works out, I probably won't be teaching after this semester just because of time considerations.

I love teaching, but as an adjunct, they don't pay enough or offer opportunity to teach enough to make a living income.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
I love teaching, but as an adjunct, they don't pay enough or offer opportunity to teach enough to make a living income.
Man, I feel that.

I'm teaching 3 courses this spring, for next to nothing. I have to on the slate for summer, I believe. I don't know for sure yet.

Subbing to this thread. Still looking for fulltime work. Wondering how long I'll be working for so little pay.

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Hi everyone! I'm still on vacation, really on vacation now as I just submitted my final changes to my dissertation. I'm DONE. Whew. I am teaching 2 courses (67% because only 1 lab section each) for a local state college. I'm also teaching one online course for the community college to hold onto the possibility of working for them this summer. I have a few feelers out for working in industry PT this summer and then I would get rid of the online gig in a heartbeat. Tomorrow is my first day back to work, well my kids are in dc in the morning and I'm volunteering in kindergarten in the pm. Life is pretty good in these parts, at least until I check my work email tomorrow.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Back to work for me on Tuesday. Teaching an intersession developmental math course. Argh! I do not know why I agreed to this--it will be insane trying to get these 8 students with severe math anxiety to learn a lot in a short period of time.... My classes are 4 hours a day, for 8 days, and then a final.

Happy 2009 everyone! Hope it is healthy and productive!!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post
Back to work for me on Tuesday. Teaching an intersession developmental math course. Argh! I do not know why I agreed to this--it will be insane trying to get these 8 students with severe math anxiety to learn a lot in a short period of time.... My classes are 4 hours a day, for 8 days, and then a final.

Happy 2009 everyone! Hope it is healthy and productive!!
How developmental?

I'm planning on using the Facebook MyFarm application to help explain least common multiples and profit in my Pre Algebra class. Hopefully it will suck a few of them into being interested.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM

I am going to out myself as a long-time lurker and finally sub to this thread

I'm a chemical/envmtl engineer postdoc at southwest R1 trying to find a faculty job, and I have a DH also in the same boat but he's a biologist. I trailed him here, but am now having a little more luck on the job market, but this year really sucks on the market...

I've got three campus interviews in the next three weeks :

I'm teaching one workshop course on climate change solutions this semester, but don't have class til the 26th, so still a little time to prep. I'm totally terrified, it will be the first time I've ever developed a new course or taught in this subject

Geo - I need to get that link from you again that you recommended about course development :

Looking forward to chatting with yall in 2009!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm here.

celebrating an 'all systems go' tenure review Won't be official till spring though...
Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

:

Congrats!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
I'm here.

celebrating an 'all systems go' tenure review Won't be official till spring though...
Hooray! Congrats. The waiting is hard. I know for me I had a positive review all the way up the food chain, but it wasn't official until the Board of Trustees met in June which was really just a technicality. But I kept thinking some freak bad thing would happen and they would tell me I didn't get it after all.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamazooMom View Post
Hooray! Congrats. The waiting is hard. I know for me I had a positive review all the way up the food chain, but it wasn't official until the Board of Trustees met in June which was really just a technicality. But I kept thinking some freak bad thing would happen and they would tell me I didn't get it after all.
: Congrats! I love to hear the positive stories.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I'm here.

Great news! :

I have 2 weeks to go before classes start, which is very much needed considering I just sat down today to start planning.

Welcome all and Happy 2009!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 AM

I'm also de-lurking!! I'm a history professor at a university in the south west. I had my first baby, a daughter, last April and have stuggled a bit balancing work and motherhood (but I think I'm getting there). Thankfully, I am on sabbatical this term and am really looking forward to putting in lots of time on my book. I did very little research this past term!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I'm here.

Wonderful news! Congrats!

kerc--congrats on being DONE!

I only have an online class this semester so it should be pretty quiet. I need to finish diss edits and fill out the graduation paperwork. There's also this graduate teaching program I've sort of been doing and I'm thinking I ought to finish given the time I have this semester. I only need to attend two workshops and i can do that this Thurs/Fri, and then put together a teaching portfolio and i'll be certified (because people really care when you're an adjunct ). The portfolio ought to be useful, right?

I also want to submit a proposal for a conference this spring sometime in the next couple of weeks.

DH and I chatted and it looks like we'll ttc in April, or more likely, May. We (I) might still back out, but it seems like the timing would be ok because DH's won't have his full tenure review for another three years and DD isn't in school for a year and a half anyway. I'm still fence sitting but the idea no longer inspires abject panic. That said, I want to rest up and recover from the diss process in the meantime and work on trying to get something published.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi all,
Sorry I dropped out of sight on the last thread. I did change schools and am really loving my new position. It's a great balance of teaching and research, great co-workers and we're living in a nice area. With the move, all the new classes and the new little one late last spring it's been crazy though. I spent most of last semester just prepping and teaching the new classes (and I'm still doing 3 online classes for the old school as they weren't successful at finding a replacement for me).
This semester is going to be more research focused, I hope, at least at the grant writing stage. I'm teaching 3 classes again here, but two are repeats from last semester.
Anyway, that's what's going on with me. We start next week, so it's off to get some slides prepped.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 PM

yay cj!!!! ::

nak

i'm here just hard to type with one hand

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm out of semi-lurkdom as well.

I'm tenured, so no worries there, but I've put my research on hold for 3 years while my kids were little. I meant to get up to speed last year, and then the department (of 7) was suddenly short three full-time faculty members, and all hell broke loose. There's nothing like chairing half a dozen thesis committees, a search committee, the admissions committee, and doing 1/4 of all advising to make research go down the drain.

So this year I NEED to get some research going. I miss research. I miss the community and the intellectual stimulation. AND I really want to go up for full professor in the next several years, and I can't do that on my current research publications.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ideas for me on teaching study techniques?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1029082

My dossier needs to go in this week for me 4 year review. I'm oddly calm about it despite the fact that my mentor committee is MIA.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Geoscientists question for you: I'm teaching 2 classes, each has a lab. No grad student and so far no luck finding an undergrad grader (because s/he has to be work study). I'm in a biology dept and some of their classes don't turn in labs each week, rather they do the lab and then the next week take a quiz at the beginning of the lab on last week's lab. That would cut down on my grading substantially, but is so foreign to what I've done in intro labs. Thoughts? FWIW I'm teaching Physical Geo and an environmentally based physical geo that they call Env. Geo.

Lisa: as I'm sure you've heard a zillion times -- there is no perfect time to TTC. Not that I would know as I've never had intentionally unprotected sex . I just got an email notice that I'm Dr. kerc now from the grad school. apparently their notification system is slow. In any event, once those diss edits are done you will feel a huge sense of relief. Honestly, it was like childbirth, complete with full exhaustion for a week or so later.

Wendy: teaching study skills. I'm not using it now, but in the past when I used the Grotzinger book (Understanding Earth), the teachers' manual included a piece on teaching study skills 5 minutes at a time. I can't find it now on my computer, but if I do find it later today I'll send you the teachers' manual (pdf). I find it really tricky to teach in a concept based class and then ask questions that can be answered via multiple choice. But then again, I'm a pretty dang holistic person so I tend to loose details first.

YAY for rockdr.

anthansor: 3 classes at your old school + new school + kids. whoa. That's like my fall semester Which I am still recovering from.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

kerc, how is grading a quiz easier than grading a lab? Can you distill what is it about the quiz that's easier and have the students hand that part of their lab in at the end of class? Have them write out the explanations (since this is often where they learn -- when forced to think through the logic of something) but then only score certain parts?

There are other methods like an in-class assessment, where you give groups a task and you grade them on the spot.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
kerc, how is grading a quiz easier than grading a lab?
LOL. I'm laughing out loud here, because I've spent way too many years of my life as a ta or adjunct, grading labs (>5 years). Labs are longer and I'd feel compelled to grade every answer because when you don't students often feel like they need to ask you 6 zillion times if you're going to grade this one.

Quote:
There are other methods like an in-class assessment, where you give groups a task and you grade them on the spot.
I know, I just struggle to make it a meaningful assessment for each lab.

One other perk I just thought of of the lab practical weekly style: students have to interact with the material for more than one week. Even if it is just the 10 minutes before class to review.

I'm envisioning asking some quick questions and one or two simplified questions like the problems I tend to have them work through on a lab.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ideas for me on teaching study techniques?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1029082
Wendy - I don't have answers to the study techniques question, but I realized our semesters will have a lot of parallels... I, too, am teaching my first large (140 person) general ed intro geology course this semester. I'm using Marshak, too.

I'm also looking for answers, since I'm about to go through the same struggle. I am planning on doing weekly on-line multiple-choice quizzes for students to give themselves a self-check on understanding (and hopefully encourage them to actually do the reading). I'm also going to do some in-class exercises that will cover concepts more than facts. I plan to have exams that are half multiple-choice and half short answer mostly because the thought of grading 140 exams like I usually write gives me the willies, but the thought of nothing but multiple choice leaves me dissatisfied.

I also went to one of those small colleges where the max class size was 40, so no personal background on how to deal with a large class from a student's perspective either.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
I plan to have exams that are half multiple-choice and half short answer mostly because the thought of grading 140 exams like I usually write gives me the willies, but the thought of nothing but multiple choice leaves me dissatisfied.
kaybee ... one of my semesters grading (last spring) included a course in which the exams were NOT multiple choice. Each ta was responsible for grading a portion of the exam. We were given a day (e.g. tuesday Feb ___ is grading day) and on that day we were expected to sit down and basically spend the ENTIRE day grading. It sucked, but it was probably a good thing.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 PM

kerc - maybe you could do the quizzes online also -- like on elearning or webct so you don't have to grade that much.

wendy - I answered your question on the main forum. I also use Marshak- Essentials- because it is cheap.

anthansor - wow, you do have a full plate

kaybee - I've been teaching these large classes for 6 years now and I do 75% mulitple choice, 25% short answer (and I must say that the short answer has turned into mostly a diagram section where I give them a picture and they have to define certain things about it and also I ask them to draw pictures mainly so I don't have to read full sentences, this cuts the grading time down)

lynnS6 - good luck on research, this is supposed to be my research semester too, you can see what I'm doing....

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 AM

Wendy--the power point idea with sample questions from each section of the test (if it has different sections) seems to work well with my large classes. I designate one class as a review day and then we usually just work with listening examples and tips for differentiating one from another if the answer isn't already obvious. I usually set up the question, let them answer it (clickers are great for this, and make it possible to work on concept-based issues each class too, with instant feedback for you regarding what they're understanding thus far). After they answer it, especially if it was a tricky one, we'll talk about how they got to the answer and what might have been confusing.

kerc--I second namaste_mom's idea of using WebCT for quizzes, if possible. I did that last spring in a large class (120 students) because the quizzes are self-grading once you set them up. It saved a lot of time.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Bumping the thread up from page 5 to see how everyone is doing this semester?

Here, they just announced a 12 day furlough we're required to take between now and June, but DH and I might get out of having to take days off if they decide to exempt postdocs. Still, so stressful :

But on the good side, I got a job offer for a TT position I really wanted... I'm in the process of some negotiations (thanks Geo for all the advice) and am waiting for a decision from the other TT job I kind of wanted (was apparently recommended by search cmte, now it is in admin land). It would be a tough decision.... one is more research/one teaching.... one good location/one bad... nothing yet for DH... :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Callie, congrats on the job offer. I hope the other one comes through for you.
Me, I had a rough start to the semester- my book order was COMPLETELY screwed up, which directly resulted in 15 students dropping one course (out of 45, oopppsss!). I guess I scared them too much on the first night about how important reading is in this class, and the messed up/delayed till mid-February book order scared many of them into dropping. We are doing better now, but it was a rough week or two until things kinda got sorted out.
Hope everyone's semester is going well,
~maddymama
Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! In last years thread, I wrote about how I was having trouble publishing (I am tenure-track), since DSs birth. Since then, I have had a paper published in the best journal in my field, and a very promising revise and resubmit (minor changes). YAY!!!

I have two more in review at the moment, and will probably be able to get another article out in the next month or so.

I also used the option of delaying tenure for a year because I took FMLA leave. Anybody else do this? I work with mostly men (who have SAH Wife's), so I was a little concerned that they would think it was an "extra year" instead of a delay. On the other hand, I did not publish anything the year DS was born, so I really needed the delay.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

User Tag List