January/February Nurses and Student Nurses - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. I am not yet a nursing student but I hope to be starting the ADN/RN program at my community college next fall. I was a bartender and made a lot of money off of tips but when I was pregnant the smell of alcohol made me nauseous so I had to quit. I spent a year working on basic pre-requisite courses online and got a lot of good bonding time in with my DD but now I am a full time student. I will be completing all of the required courses and submitting my application this summer. I can't wait to become an 'official' member of this thread:

Sugaree hippie mama: to one perfect daughter 9/07: one money-pit:
We : we share a:Right now we are: :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 AM

Glad to meet you all! I have been an RN for 15 yrs. I am diploma trained (3 yr hospital based program). Worked a number of years in a do everything small hospital...emerg, minor surgery, peds, you name it. 1 year in an absolutely insane med surg ward. Then 9 years in Labor/Delivery/postpartum and level II nursery....love this area! Now work in a small 80 bed hospital on a combined surgery (well, pretty minor...our most complicated thing we do is bowel resections, plus also admit all the ab pain NYD, post MVA type stuff) and labor/delivery recovery/postpartum unit that does about a baby a day, and I also rotate through those areas plus an outpatient IV therapy/dressing change type unit.

Like marilynmama I too homeschool and am pretty relaxed with it. Dh is a health care aide and security guard, and takes work on days I don't so we manage to get it all done somehow. Work wise I am part time (half time) with 10 twelve hour shifts per 6 weeks that I rotate through. Hate nights though! Coffee and those energy shots are my friends LOL!

I notice many of you work in the States. Seems like such a different environment. Here in Canada it is almost unheard of in the hospital to work a position where you don't have to rotate shifts. Also, unless you live in a big city and work for a small private homecare company or something, you are unionized. (separate from our provincial professional/liscencing association though). As such contract rules really affect our rotations, such as everyone being required to work every other weekend and needing "x" number of hours off between shifts. No jobs where you can work just the weekend and things like that.

Nice to meet you all.

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
Old 01-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am an ADN-RN. I have worked a neurotrauma floor, a neuroscience floor, stroke research, progressive care, telemetry, orthotrauma/medsurg, got my CMSRN and then moved to to the northeast and began MICU.

I enjoy learning new things, and if I were a single girl or without children, I would revel in MICU, and actually, I do revel in it when I have the sickest of the sick. I love it while I am there working my tail off just to keep someone alive. I thrive on that. But then I come home and am exhausted. I have nothing left for my family. I am kaput!

Working with people who are only a little sick or on the road to recovery is boring for me, but it's tolerable work. The job I felt I was able to best balance family and work was the orthotrauma/medsurg floor. Very friendly nurses, fun times, and fairly easy patients (hips, knees, cellulitits etc). I never got those great wonderful highs I get in MICU though. I am an adrenaline junkie with no energy level to sustain it.

I am currently trying to figure out how to best work my situation. I was considering just quitting alltogether, but I really don't want to do that. I am going to try MICU one day a week. And if that doesn't work, after i give birth, I will transfer to the neuro floor.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
Sounds like you did great on the NCLEX!

Good luck with finding a job you want I'm sure you will get something you like here soon. They should be able to still hire you. I started working right after I graduated from NS before I even sat or had a date for NCLEX, I could do everything except give meds so it was great.

Don't be afraid to call and talk with the nursing manager on the unit you want to work on. That way they will remember your name and know you are interested and are not just another name in the application pile.

Oh and welcome
I passed! : I logged in this morning and the results were up!

In NJ I can't work until I have a license. I will call on Monday about those positions and let them know I passed so I should have a license soon.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 01-25-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
I enjoy learning new things, and if I were a single girl or without children, I would revel in MICU, and actually, I do revel in it when I have the sickest of the sick. I love it while I am there working my tail off just to keep someone alive. I thrive on that. But then I come home and am exhausted. I have nothing left for my family. I am kaput!
I understand. I worked in a large level 1 trauma center PICU for almost 2 years (as a tech and an RN) and though I loved it and learned soooo much, but I came home completely worn out and basically went straight to bed and then got up again the next day and the next, and if I got called in another day and it took me another day to recover! LOL! I noticed most of my coworkers who thrived in that stress were single.

I miss my coworkers a lot, but that job was a LOT of stress and I got tired and worn out mentally and it was affecting me physically from the stress alone (higher BP). I was also tired of the hospital and I don't plan to go back to the hospital--it's just not for me.

So I got a new job in psych working 8 hr shifts (the unit I am on now is much more relaxed than the PICU ever was, lol--just a different type of nursing, sometimes it's boring) and I'm enjoying it and my family is enjoying me not being so tired all the time and stressed out.

I don't miss being floated and I don't miss being on call! LOL!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
Old 01-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I passed! : .
Congrats!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I know most MDC moms are in women's health/L&D but I have a question for the critical care nurses. Have any of you taken the CCRN exam? I'm studying for it yet still debating if I'll actually take the plunge. I keep hearing that it's "the hardest test you'll ever take as a nurse..." but I really want it just for personal satisfaction.
I've only done CEN; I haven't taken CCRN yet, and now that I'm only working part-time, I don't satisfy the hours-per-year requirement anymore. However, I'm looking at preparing for CTRN/CFRN with the CCRN texts since those are critical-care heavy, and I talked with one of my gfs who's taken it. She mentioned that it is tough, but doable - also that it was easier for people who had done general sorts of critical care, not just specialized in one narrow sort of critical care unit without exposure to the other types since, for example, the adult exam was about all types of adult CC, not just neuro or medical or trauma, etc., like our units are sometimes divided. HTH.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM

I'm planning on buying a laptop to take to work at night with me (my job gets slow at times when the patients are sleeping).

I will be using it for internet and just fun stuff like that... I'm sure my family will use it when I'm at home (internet and games, music, reading, things like that).

What kind of laptop do you have?? I've never bought one before.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM

I'm in my last semester of my RN program (associate's degree). I can't wait for it to be over.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you experienced nurses could give me some starter tips on how interpret EKG's. That was our first lab, and while I seem to be able to id vtach and vfib, the other ones kind of throw me.

What's a good place to start when looking at en EKG? And you know how you can get the rhythm from counting the R's in a six second strip then multiplying by 10? Can you get the atrial rate by counting the p waves? Do you count it the same way, by the top of the p wave? Do I even make sense with what I'm asking?

I need some good tips!!

Thanks in advance!

Jessica, dizzy.gifmom to 3 little ladiesjumpers.gif and babygirl.gif babyboy.gif twins who can't figure out where her avatar came from.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Oh, and Marilyn, I just bought a laptop, since my computer died. I got a Dell studio. I really like it so far. I really like it b/c it has a number keypad on the right hand side. I can't live without that!! LOL!

Jessica, dizzy.gifmom to 3 little ladiesjumpers.gif and babygirl.gif babyboy.gif twins who can't figure out where her avatar came from.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlvr976 View Post
I'm in my last semester of my RN program (associate's degree). I can't wait for it to be over.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you experienced nurses could give me some starter tips on how interpret EKG's. That was our first lab, and while I seem to be able to id vtach and vfib, the other ones kind of throw me.

What's a good place to start when looking at en EKG? And you know how you can get the rhythm from counting the R's in a six second strip then multiplying by 10? Can you get the atrial rate by counting the p waves? Do you count it the same way, by the top of the p wave? Do I even make sense with what I'm asking?

I need some good tips!!

Thanks in advance!

It's a system. I highly recommend the Orange EKG book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091...cm_rdp_product

It also goes over 12 lead, but use it to learn strips.

You use the 6 seconds x10, but it's not very accurate. I prefer the 1500 method. Count the boxes one R and the next. then divide 1500 by that number.

Yes you can get the atrial rate by counting the p waves, but there is a system

is the rate regular?
does each qrs have a p?
what is the p-r interval
what is the qrs?
what is the r-r
what is the q-t

this should essentially help you diagnose each rhythm.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:13 AM

Hey everyone. I'm a student nurse. I will be graduating next May (just over a year left, woo-hoo!)
I just wanted to vent about the MOST frustrating day yesterday. First, I knew it was going to be aggravating, because we are just starting OB and Monday and Tuesday were labor/delivery and Tues. afternoon was breastfeeding.

So.. we're talking about breastfeeding and this woman comes out with "Ha! Yeah.. La Leche League. What a bunch of whackjobs!" and goes on to talk about how they are all militant and there was a 5 year old there reading a kid's book about breastfeeding (I actually interrupted and said "and what's the matter with that?" but nobody acknowledged my comment). So after she's done ranting and raving, I raised my hand.
Seriously- my heart was pounding. I was livid. And I also really hate talking in front of everyone, but I was spun up.

So our instructor called on me and I said "I just wanted to say that I've gone to LLL for years now.. and I've never once met someone who I would consider to be a whackjob. I don't want to discount your experience (talking to the woman now) but I think they are a fantastic resource for new breastfeeding moms and I don't want our peers to hesitate to recommend them as a resource to a new mother because of your comments."

Someone added something here in support of what I was saying, then I continued with "And these women at LLL are volunteers. They are very knowledgeable and give so much of their time just to help women who are looking for assistance."
Our instructor (who refers to herself as "The Similac Queen"- I kid you not) nodded in support of me (I think she just knew that I was spun up) and changed her tone a bit to be more supportive of breastfeeding for the remaining 10-15 mins we talked about it.
After I talked, there were some other students who chimed in with excellent breastfeeding advice, so I didn't feel so alone.. but MAN. Was that frustrating.

I turned to the girl next to me and smiled.. I said "Now, did I just sound like a whackjob?" kidding around with her, and she goes, "Well, I can see both sides." WHAT?! So I said to her- "My point was that you can't judge an entire organization based upon one or two people. Just like you wouldn't judge an entire race based upon one or two people of that descent."

Oh, and during our next break, that first woman came up to me and said "Gee, I hope I didn't offend you with what I said.." (Hello?? Yeah- you pretty much called me a whackjob!)

And I said "Well, that was your experience. I just wanted people to know that not all chapters/LLL members are like the people you encountered. And as for the little girl- well, my 4 year old breastfeeds her dolls. It's what she sees at home, it's natural to her. She's pretending to be a little mommy."

She went on to tell me that she breastfed her daughter, and that her daughter had nothing but breastmilk (okay- why are you telling me this??) but just was harassed by LLL when she started giving her daughter solids and that they recommended whipping your boob out anytime baby started crying (the AUDACITY! *eyeroll*).

I thought it was nice that she apologized, but man..
I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone or something. Is breastfeeding really that radical?

And.. I feel that I've alienated everyone.
I took a year off from nursing school when my youngest was born. I miss the people in my first class. They were awesome. I feel so alone in this class that I've joined now.
I guess I'm the resident whackjob now.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I passed! : I logged in this morning and the results were up!

In NJ I can't work until I have a license. I will call on Monday about those positions and let them know I passed so I should have a license soon.
Congratulations!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 AM

Jessica--

http://www.skillstat.com/learn.htm

Go to the ECG simulator. I find this to be a great resource, and I try to hit that site once a week. We don't do a lot of EKG interpretation on our floor, so I try to keep my skills up by practicing there.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollineeba View Post
I guess I'm the resident whackjob now.
Congrats, it's a fun place to be, isn't it? I was the resident babywearing, cosleeping, cloth diapering, baby food making, homebirthing, midwife wannabe whackjob in my class. It sure makes for a tough OB rotation. Just remember, it's not reality, it's nursing school.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Just remember, it's not reality, it's nursing school.

So true!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
It's a system. I highly recommend the Orange EKG book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091...cm_rdp_product
The orange book is great.

Also, don't make the mistake I made starting out - looking at the strip as a whole and intuitively going "A fib" or whatever *without* going through each of the steps listed: rate regular...look for the p waves first...etc. You'll be right some of the time, but with a careful systematic check, you'll be right all the time. I guess I can't definitively say 'all', but most. It took me a long time to break that habit.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:15 PM

I'll check out that book and that website.

So this is the system then....

is the rate regular?
does each qrs have a p?
what is the p-r interval
what is the qrs?
what is the r-r
what is the q-t

My instructor warned us not to just eyeball it! We're not getting into 12 leads or anything like that, mostly just basic stuff. I was just wondering what are the steps. So I'm guess that you look for each part and look for the abnormalities? I've always been intrigued by EKG's, so it's neat now to be learning a little about it.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 PM

Joining your thread.

I'm an RN, BSN. I graduated in '97 worked at a Children's hospital for about a year and a half and then had my first baby. I was a SAHM for 8 years. I decided I wanted to go back to nursing during the summer of '06. I took an RN refresher course and have now been employed for a year and a half.

I work on a pediatric floor of a community hospital. We get general pediatric stuff, and I love my job. I work part time, three shifts a pay period. I work 7a-7p. We self schedule and I am now only working either Fridays or Saturdays.

I don't use childcare. I have 2 kids in public school, and one in preschool. Dh drops the kids off at school, and MIL picks them up on the day I work. I also was working lots of weekends so dh was home with the kids.

Congrats to all the new grads who passed NCLEX.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Congrats, it's a fun place to be, isn't it? I was the resident babywearing, cosleeping, cloth diapering, baby food making, homebirthing, midwife wannabe whackjob in my class. It sure makes for a tough OB rotation. Just remember, it's not reality, it's nursing school.
Thanks. It was just so discouraging.. our instructor kept referring to bf'ing as "that choice" and it would be like "so if moms decide to make that choice- and it is a choice.. blah blah blah"

I knew it was going to be like this when I heard her say that babies will do just as well on formula as they will on breastmilk, that there is really no difference. (Really? I mean, really? What happened to evidence-based practice here?)

This woman has never had children, so I don't get the huge issue that she has with breastfeeding, but whatever.
I just need to get through it and bite my tongue. It's just sad to think that the other people in my class who have no parenting experience are taking her word as the written truth.
Oh, and she told us to tell our patients to cut up Kotex to put in their bras- because nursing pads have plastic backing. I use Lansinoh disposables and they don't have plastic at all--

There was one awesome woman in my class from last year- she also homebirthed, breastfed forever (lol), homeschooled, etc. But I had to take that year off, so I'm with a new class now.

Okay, I'll shut up now. But thanks, guys. It helps to know that you've experienced similar situations.
I think I'm really just going to try to keep my mouth shut for the rest of the semester.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It was just so discouraging.. our instructor kept referring to bf'ing as "that choice" and it would be like "so if moms decide to make that choice- and it is a choice.. blah blah blah"

I knew it was going to be like this when I heard her say that babies will do just as well on formula as they will on breastmilk, that there is really no difference. (Really? I mean, really? What happened to evidence-based practice here?)

This woman has never had children, so I don't get the huge issue that she has with breastfeeding, but whatever.
I just need to get through it and bite my tongue. It's just sad to think that the other people in my class who have no parenting experience are taking her word as the written truth.
Oh, and she told us to tell our patients to cut up Kotex to put in their bras- because nursing pads have plastic backing. I use Lansinoh disposables and they don't have plastic at all--

There was one awesome woman in my class from last year- she also homebirthed, breastfed forever (lol), homeschooled, etc. But I had to take that year off, so I'm with a new class now.

Okay, I'll shut up now. But thanks, guys. It helps to know that you've experienced similar situations.
I think I'm really just going to try to keep my mouth shut for the rest of the semester.
I understand. I enjoyed my OB rotation in nursing school overall but I hated a lot of what I saw as well. One time this MD came in to do a circ on a baby boy and she used NO paid med on him at all and I told her (you bet I did! LOL!) that what she was doing was barbaric! LOL! She turned around to look at me with this look of "what the hell did you just say" and I just shrugged my shoulders.

One good thing is that almost ALL of the moms were breastfeeding, I think I saw one mom who choose not to. So that was cool, even if they just bf for a few days I'm cool with that! The nurses were really great with the moms and babies and very supportive of the laborting moms, it was just the whole medical/doctor management of it all I couldn't stand.

But anyways, you will meet a lot of people who have *very* strong feelings about breastfeeding, especially on this rotation.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Oh, you'll try; but you won't be able to. I swore every damn day after class that *starting tomorrow* I was not going to say a word.

Oh well, I graduated and 6 months later was a midwife's assistant at an independent birthing center. You'll finish, too, and it will all be a vague dream.

Hang in there!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
I understand. I enjoyed my OB rotation in nursing school overall but I hated a lot of what I saw as well. One time this MD came in to do a circ on a baby boy and she used NO paid med on him at all and I told her (you bet I did! LOL!) that what she was doing was barbaric! LOL! She turned around to look at me with this look of "what the hell did you just say" and I just shrugged my shoulders.

One good thing is that almost ALL of the moms were breastfeeding, I think I saw one mom who choose not to. So that was cool, even if they just bf for a few days I'm cool with that! The nurses were really great with the moms and babies and very supportive of the laborting moms, it was just the whole medical/doctor management of it all I couldn't stand.

But anyways, you will meet a lot of people who have *very* strong feelings about breastfeeding, especially on this rotation.
Wow. Good for you for saying something. I don't even know what I would have done. I'm really hoping that nothing like that happens during my rotations.
I have six rotations at the hospital- 2x a week starting this week.
The good thing is that I really like my clinical instructor and I think she'll be great.
I understand we have to be supportive of all choices, but you can tell this professor was one of those nurses who just sabotaged so many breastfeeding mothers. It's sad.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
Oh, you'll try; but you won't be able to. I swore every damn day after class that *starting tomorrow* I was not going to say a word.

Oh well, I graduated and 6 months later was a midwife's assistant at an independent birthing center. You'll finish, too, and it will all be a vague dream.

Hang in there!
Dream job! That's so neat!

I'm really going to try. I know it will be frustrating either way, but I just want to keep a low profile (maybe too late for that ) and get through the rest of my program.

P.S. 476 days until my May 2010 graduation. Not that I'm counting or anything

Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Ya know, I hate *hate* that attitude. It's also a choice whether or not to do crack, but that doesn't make choosing to do it a good idea, ya know? When that choice is taken away, it's good to have an appropriate substitute. But to deliberately choose an inferior substance, that's a whacky thing. You'll find that almost nothing in OB nursing or medicine is evidence-based. That's the only way that hospitals can maintain the status quo. It sucks to know that there's a better way to do things, but to have your hands tied and not be able to do it. No way could I ever go back to OB nursing. Ever.

And I have to say that I vaguely disagree with the idea of being supportive of all choices. I am not supportive of my post-MI patients continuing to smoke. Not supportive of the post-ops dragging themselves down to the cafeteria for burgers and fries when they don't want to eat their "heart healthy" diets. Not supportive of my dialysis patients who decide to go on a potato-chip-and-watermelon binge. And I'm not supportive of women who choose to feed artificial substances without having *all* the information. They need to make *informed* choices and when a nurse is telling them that formula is just as good and twice as convenient, she is guilty of malpractice IMNSHO. Yup, can't be an OB nurse. BTDT.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Yeah, after the commute to the birth center got to be too much, I went to work in our local hospital. I worked for 3 years on the medical floor before deciding to go to OB/mother/baby; that worked out for about 6 months. I now am back on the medical floor and I *love* it.

I can't do OB in a hospital. If I'm going to be doing a lot of interventions, I want to do them on people who need them. That's one reason I really like the medical floor. I also find it more challenging and faster paced.

So I'm with Turkish Kate; can't do OB, BTDT, not going to do it again. I just felt too compromised the entire time I was there.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
Yeah, after the commute to the birth center got to be too much, I went to work in our local hospital. I worked for 3 years on the medical floor before deciding to go to OB/mother/baby; that worked out for about 6 months. I now am back on the medical floor and I *love* it.

I can't do OB in a hospital. If I'm going to be doing a lot of interventions, I want to do them on people who need them. That's one reason I really like the medical floor. I also find it more challenging and faster paced.

So I'm with Turkish Kate; can't do OB, BTDT, not going to do it again. I just felt too compromised the entire time I was there.
Good point.. I think because of those reasons I would prefer the postpartum part of LDRP.

I helped a new mother to breastfeed today, and the feeling was *amazing* when I helped her to get the baby latched on for the first time. The mother beamed and her husband was just in awe of her & so supportive..
It was truly a dreamy day. So wonderful.
Now to talk to them about the circ they have planned for tomorrow. Ugh.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:27 PM

bump

Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 AM

Just wanted to update on my new job.

All I can say is I am SO GLAD I am out of the hospital my new job is GREAT! You couldn't pay me enough to go back to the hospital.

I really like the patient (all teenage boys...lol) and the low stress of it all. I am sleeping better, have more enjoyable time with my family, and am thinking about going back for my masters (maybe...). I just feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Anyone have a masters in nursing? If so what type and what do you do? I'm just trying to decide if the money I invest in a masters program will be worth it..

Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090215/...rsing_shortage

This is a great article I just saw on yahoo about new nurses and how they are basically just thrown to the wolves---and one of the reasons so many leave the field entirely within a few years. I remember when I was in the ICU feeling this way a lot. I can totally relate to this article.

User Tag List