January/February Nurses and Student Nurses - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a good article... I had that "thrown to the wolves" feeling in my first job as a new nurse, even though it had a 12-week orientation. I remember one night during orientation, being so afraid that my little patient was going to die because all the experienced nurses were so into watching the summer Olympics on TV that they didn't want to help me. He did survive, and I survived the orientation, but I only stuck it out for 3 months afterward.

Now I am back at the little hospital I worked at as a student nurse. The atmosphere is *so* different, and I'm so relieved to be back. Even though we're very busy at work right now (general peds unit in RSV season), every single one of my coworkers is willing to answer questions, and to help me out any time I ask, rather than rolling their eyes at me for not magically knowing everything. They are so wonderful.

Hooray for those who support new nurses in their learning!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 95 Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
Just wanted to update on my new job.

All I can say is I am SO GLAD I am out of the hospital my new job is GREAT! You couldn't pay me enough to go back to the hospital.

I really like the patient (all teenage boys...lol) and the low stress of it all. I am sleeping better, have more enjoyable time with my family, and am thinking about going back for my masters (maybe...). I just feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Anyone have a masters in nursing? If so what type and what do you do? I'm just trying to decide if the money I invest in a masters program will be worth it..
Congratulations! I'm so glad you like your new position. What relief it must be to find the right fit for you.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#93 of 95 Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
And I have to say that I vaguely disagree with the idea of being supportive of all choices. I am not supportive of my post-MI patients continuing to smoke. Not supportive of the post-ops dragging themselves down to the cafeteria for burgers and fries when they don't want to eat their "heart healthy" diets. Not supportive of my dialysis patients who decide to go on a potato-chip-and-watermelon binge. And I'm not supportive of women who choose to feed artificial substances without having *all* the information. They need to make *informed* choices and when a nurse is telling them that formula is just as good and twice as convenient, she is guilty of malpractice IMNSHO. Yup, can't be an OB nurse. BTDT.
I get a lot of train wreck patients who come to us, get better and go right back to their unhealthy lifestyle. As far as I'm concerned, if they have all the info (smoking is bad, maintain a healthy diet so you can live longer, ect) then they are free to do further damage to their health. I can try to curb them "I'd rather you not go out to smoke, do you want to try a nicotine patch?" but grown adults are grown adults and they are free to do what they choose as long as it's legal. I figure they are paying the price with the consequences (MI, COPD, renal failure). Adults are not going to change unless they want to. It may take an MI with a triple bypass but I can't force people to change. I can only offer information, alternatives and resources.

This is where I feel the "supporting the patient" comes in too play. You aren't gonna get someone to re-evaluate their life and accept change angry and resentful of their choices. Support them, educate them, be open to their feelings and respect the wishes of a grown, mentally competent adult.
#94 of 95 Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM

bump

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#95 of 95 Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Is this thread still active? Or is there a new one?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page