January/February Nurses and Student Nurses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The old thread is buried and dated November.... How about a new one?

I'm going back to work on the 19th part-time as our patient care flow response nurse. Only 2 12s a week and it's always Monday/Tuesday. I'm not excited to go back and leave my baby, but I do LOVE my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 95 Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 PM

subbing for now, trying to get the little guy to sleep.
#3 of 95 Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM

I am an ER RN

I also moonlight in the ICU. I also am the assistant manager of the ER too. And the Educator

I wear many hats at work. I love what I do :
#4 of 95 Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Lucky Charm! I would like to work in our ED at some point, but am happy where I'm at now.
#5 of 95 Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

hi ladies,
i'm thinking of going to nursing school. do you have any things you wish you had known when you started that you would like to share with me?
#6 of 95 Old 01-08-2009, 01:10 AM

Well I'm making a change. I just have to get out of the hospital.

I applied for, and got a call this afternoon for an interview, a position as an RN in a juvenile sexual offenders program. This is a long stay program for young boys (mainly teens) who are sexual offenders. They get counseling, different therapies, go to school here, live, etc. I did a clinical rotation there and I really enjoyed it a lot.

I have never done this type of nursing before. Does anyone here do anything similiar? Or have any advice.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#7 of 95 Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAflower View Post
hi ladies,
i'm thinking of going to nursing school. do you have any things you wish you had known when you started that you would like to share with me?
Just make sure it is something you really want to do because it is not an easy job at all. I do like being a nurse but there are a lot of times I'm thinking that I don't get paid enough to do this! LOL!

If you don't have any real hospital experience I would strongly recommend shadowing an RN, or getting some type of CNA job while doing your pre-reqs to get more of an idea of what nurses really do. You want to make sure it's something you want to do.

#8 of 95 Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
Well I'm making a change. I just have to get out of the hospital.

I applied for, and got a call this afternoon for an interview, a position as an RN in a juvenile sexual offenders program. This is a long stay program for young boys (mainly teens) who are sexual offenders. They get counseling, different therapies, go to school here, live, etc. I did a clinical rotation there and I really enjoyed it a lot.

I have never done this type of nursing before. Does anyone here do anything similiar? Or have any advice.
I had an interview today and got the job! I am so happy Now I just have to get through the next few shifts at the job I have now somehow and be done with it. I like my patients but the hospital is not for me. I'm glad to be getting out of it.

I am just happy to have a job with a LOT less stress. I can't take the stress and the crap of the hospital anymore, it is making me sick to my stomach to even have to go into work tonight. But hopefully it will be a good weekend and the end is near Trying to stay positive but it's hard.

#9 of 95 Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Congratulations marilyn!

I am, like PAflower, considering nursing school. I have a BS in unrelated subjects so I need to pick up some prereqs (bio & nutrition & maybe a psych class depending on how my undergrad course transfers) before applying - I have found some accelerated Advanced Practice Nurse programs locally that look great - one has a CNM specialty which I think is where I would like to end up.

The catch is that I have a very good job in my current career that I don't want to give up if nursing school won't work out (if I can't get in). So I am trying to balance figuring out if it is what I really want versus keeping this job as long as humanly possible. In this job there is not much room for outside work especially if I will be taking some pre-reqs.

Can anyone share any volunteer positions I might be able to investigate that require less than 5-8 hour committment each week, but give me an idea of whether nursing is really for me?

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#10 of 95 Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I had an interview today and got the job! I am so happy Now I just have to get through the next few shifts at the job I have now somehow and be done with it. I like my patients but the hospital is not for me. I'm glad to be getting out of it.

I am just happy to have a job with a LOT less stress. I can't take the stress and the crap of the hospital anymore, it is making me sick to my stomach to even have to go into work tonight. But hopefully it will be a good weekend and the end is near Trying to stay positive but it's hard.

Good luck Marilyn! I love critical care but am going through a phase right now. I don't think I'm anywhere near to making a change but it's inspiring to see what else is out there

I need to go on sabbatical. Yeah right.
#11 of 95 Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM

Hey Marilyn congrats, that's awesome! I totally feel your pain - hospital was NOT the place for me either.

Right now I'm the lead public health nurse at a municipal health dept. I'm working FT & I have to go back to school (RN-BSN) to keep my job. So I start a FT program on Tuesday & am already feeling overwhelmed. But it's only until August so I hope I can pull it off.

I had the funniest thing happen today - I was doing a check-up for the sweetest 7 year old little boy. I asked him what his favorite things to eat are & after thinking for a few seconds he said, "crawfish and sushi!" The kids usually tell me stuff like french fries or fruit or chicken or something so I was totally not expecting that.
#12 of 95 Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:

congrats Marilyn

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#13 of 95 Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Hi all. I'm a student. Very happy to get back to it after an uber-long holiday:::. I'm going from just six (one was a gym credit) to nine credits I'm a childbirth teacher, homeschooler and working doula

sheesh I hope it isn't too much. Last semester I got shingles. They tell me thats from stress??

But I'm REALLY HAPPY and love going to school. It's just a challenge to balance everything. You all get it, I'm sure

My baby will be THREE in a few weeks. It's a whole new world.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#14 of 95 Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Well....

I went to work last night and was going to turn in my resignation and one of the nurses I work with who has been a nurse for over 20 years talked me out of this new job. And she made a lot of sense, especially concerning my future goals of Pedi NP.

So I'm staying with my PICU job and I feel good about it (for now anyways...lol). I still have no plans to stay in the hospital forever. At least I know I can easily get another job, every place I applied at called me for an interview!

I've been in a real funk this past month about my job. I just needed to work through some things I guess.

#15 of 95 Old 01-11-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
Hi all. I'm a student. Very happy to get back to it after an uber-long holiday:::. I'm going from just six (one was a gym credit) to nine credits I'm a childbirth teacher, homeschooler and working doula

sheesh I hope it isn't too much. Last semester I got shingles. They tell me thats from stress??

But I'm REALLY HAPPY and love going to school. It's just a challenge to balance everything. You all get it, I'm sure

My baby will be THREE in a few weeks. It's a whole new world.
Welcome

I'm a ft RN and also homeschool my girls. I homeschooled them through pre-reqs and nursing school. Stressful at times but worth it and we all managed well. We are very very laid back hs'ers though

I loved college! I can't wait to go back for my NP degree hopefully next year. Being a ft student or working mama isn't easy, but it's fulfilling.

I think it's important to take care of yourself and don't let the stress become too much (your shingles). My husband got me a 1 hr Swedish massage for xmas and I think I might treat myself to something like that once a month or every other month.

#16 of 95 Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well....

I went to work last night and was going to turn in my resignation and one of the nurses I work with who has been a nurse for over 20 years talked me out of this new job. And she made a lot of sense, especially concerning my future goals of Pedi NP.

So I'm staying with my PICU job and I feel good about it (for now anyways...lol). I still have no plans to stay in the hospital forever. At least I know I can easily get another job, every place I applied at called me for an interview!

I've been in a real funk this past month about my job. I just needed to work through some things I guess.
I wanted to talk you down from your new job, but obviously don't know you well enough to feel comfortable doing so : Since you had done a clinical rotation there, I believed you knew exactly what you were getting into. There were a few reasons I wasn't keen on it...

The first was those kinds of positions often lose their funding so you have to constantly apply and re-apply for a job. Secondly, those are such sad cases. I'm kind of in the boat that a sex offender (even a juvenile one) aren't easily rehabilitated and I would get uber frustrated being involved in their care.

Of course someone needs to take care of these boys, I'm just well aware that it can't be me.
#17 of 95 Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Hi Everyone, I have been lurking for a while, and thought I would say hi I am an almost full time RN and lactation consultant, working towards my BSN. I have 2 per diem positions one is at clinic, the other is on post partum. I really want to give up the clinic, but I "need" close to a full time schedule, and I am not able to get that right now on my pp floor, and have it fit with my schooling as well I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old..

Quote:
Welcome

I'm a ft RN and also homeschool my girls. I homeschooled them through pre-reqs and nursing school. Stressful at times but worth it and we all managed well. We are very very laid back hs'ers though
How do you homeschool I would love to find out! I have been wanting to homeschool my children, but with me back at work it just doesn't seem like an option

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#18 of 95 Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM

opps

#19 of 95 Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
I wanted to talk you down from your new job, but obviously don't know you well enough to feel comfortable doing so : Since you had done a clinical rotation there, I believed you knew exactly what you were getting into. There were a few reasons I wasn't keen on it...

The first was those kinds of positions often lose their funding so you have to constantly apply and re-apply for a job. Secondly, those are such sad cases. I'm kind of in the boat that a sex offender (even a juvenile one) aren't easily rehabilitated and I would get uber frustrated being involved in their care.

Of course someone needs to take care of these boys, I'm just well aware that it can't be me.
I asked about their rehabilitation rate in my interview and from their stats only 10% reoffend. So the program does a good job and has been there for years. My job itself wouldn't be threatened, they have excellent funding (I would only stay about a year anyways). The boys have to qualify to be in the program (it's not just for anyone).

After discussing this all with my husband I have again decided to take the job. I've been canceled my last 2 out of 3 shifts in the PICU and this has been going on for the last 4 months and I couldn't pay my student loan this month---have you all had any problem with your hospital census being low lately??? Anyways, I've decided to go ahead and take it for a year and then do something else (I don't think this is something I would want to do long term honestly but I also want the HELL out of the hospital).

Thanks for the input though!

#20 of 95 Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivistmama View Post
Hi Everyone, I have been lurking for a while, and thought I would say hi I am an almost full time RN and lactation consultant, working towards my BSN. I have 2 per diem positions one is at clinic, the other is on post partum. I really want to give up the clinic, but I "need" close to a full time schedule, and I am not able to get that right now on my pp floor, and have it fit with my schooling as well I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old..

How do you homeschool I would love to find out! I have been wanting to homeschool my children, but with me back at work it just doesn't seem like an option
We have just always made it work. I know alot of homeschooling RNs. Some do weekend option, or work prn. I work ft and still have plenty of family time, we are *very* relaxed hs'ers though which helps.

Right now me and dh work opposite schedules (I work nights, he works days). But later on this year dh will be going to nights (he is a police officer) and the girls will spend the nights over at grandmas couple nights a week (they would have to do this regardless of hs'ing) but we will have all evening together (don't have to be at work until 11pm and they stay up late with us).

We have just always been committed to it and made it work and never really gave any other option a thought.

#21 of 95 Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I asked about their rehabilitation rate in my interview and from their stats only 10% reoffend. So the program does a good job and has been there for years. My job itself wouldn't be threatened, they have excellent funding (I would only stay about a year anyways). The boys have to qualify to be in the program (it's not just for anyone).

After discussing this all with my husband I have again decided to take the job. I've been canceled my last 2 out of 3 shifts in the PICU and this has been going on for the last 4 months and I couldn't pay my student loan this month---have you all had any problem with your hospital census being low lately??? Anyways, I've decided to go ahead and take it for a year and then do something else (I don't think this is something I would want to do long term honestly but I also want the HELL out of the hospital).

Ehhh.... Removes foot from mouth. I wish you luck at your new job then

As for being cancelled. I've been out on maternity leave for almost 12 weeks now, but my unit has been exceedingly slow. We have all the scheduled surgery patients and trauma/burns overflow. Since it's not "trauma season" and our scheduled surgeries are down due to the economy, many people are getting cancelled. I think it's over now, though, as I know our overflow unit was open last week.
#22 of 95 Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:

My mother-in-law is a social worker and a co-ordinator of regional youth forensic psychiatric services. Her specialty is in treatment and therapy of youth sex offenders, and their program has a very, very low re-offense rate. Most of their clients are very young, were themselves abused, and with intensive support do very well. Good luck in your new job!

I'm less than 2 1/2 months from starting my vacation and year-long maternity leave from work. Unlike with my first pregnancy, I'm not craving the break from the job. Last pregnancy I was working rotating 12s in labour and delivery. The day job is much less physically draining in pregnancy. I am a bit nervous about taking a year off after only 9 months in a new job, but I'll deal with it when my leave is over

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#23 of 95 Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Jumping in here. I am a hemodialysis RN in Canada. I have 6 more shifts until mat leave though. I work 4 12s 5 off. I am looking forward to this leave. I need to figure out what to do with my life. Any ideas on career changes to something that is similar to nursing but doesn't have the same negativity/bitterness associated with it. Or maybe a change within nursing. I know the hospital is not for me. I would like to do something that is crunchier and fulfills those values. I have been thinking NP but I don't know about job security after I am done. I am in BC and NPs aren't very well utilized as of yet.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#24 of 95 Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
Jumping in here. I am a hemodialysis RN in Canada. I have 6 more shifts until mat leave though. I work 4 12s 5 off. I am looking forward to this leave. I need to figure out what to do with my life. Any ideas on career changes to something that is similar to nursing but doesn't have the same negativity/bitterness associated with it. Or maybe a change within nursing. I know the hospital is not for me. I would like to do something that is crunchier and fulfills those values. I have been thinking NP but I don't know about job security after I am done. I am in BC and NPs aren't very well utilized as of yet.
Welcome Nil!

where do your intestes lie? "crunchy" is pretty general

nutrition? preventative care? rehibilitation? something with children? lacation? the areas and choices seem almost limitless.

Congrats on counting down the shifts

#25 of 95 Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm considering nursing but I would like a lot of details, I will ask here but also if there are other forums for nurses I would love to know about them too!

I am curious about:
1) your degree/certification
2) your current position
3) your usual hours; whether you are required to work overtime when your employer needs it; whether you can work overtime when you want to
4) typical tasks you do

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#26 of 95 Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhymnia View Post
I'm considering nursing but I would like a lot of details, I will ask here but also if there are other forums for nurses I would love to know about them too!

I am curious about:
2) your current position
3) your usual hours; whether you are required to work overtime when your employer needs it; whether you can work overtime when you want to
4) typical tasks you do

Hi! I love being a nurse, so I'll answer these questions for you. I have a BSN, but am currently working on my master's to become a CNM (Certified Nurse-Midwife). I work part-time on a neuro unit and my hours are 7p-7a. I am scheduled for 1 or 2 days per week, but I can usually pick up extra shifts if I would like. I am never required to work extra hours, but they often call if they need help and I have the option. I can also choose to pick up extra shifts on another unit, but I usually don't do that (I like working within my comfort zone). I love night shift because I can still be a stay-at-home Mom. I am tired the day after my shift, but I nap when my 2-year old daughter naps, and then I can make it through until her bedtime. It is a great job!
Working on a neuro unit involves taking care of patients who have had strokes, bleeds, surgery or brain injury. I do neuro assessments every 2 or 4 hours to make sure there is no change, pass meds and do my best to meet the needs of my patients. They are often confused or combative, so that is always an extra challenge. Every day is different, but I enjoy my job. The docs we work with trust the nurses, so I have a lot of autonomy to make decisions. I feel like they listen to us and take our concerns (sometimes we have no more than a gut feeling telling us that a person is going bad) very seriously.
Good luck in your journey! I find nursing to be a highy rewarding career!

Wife to Mike, Mom to DD 4, RN and Student Nurse-Midwife.  Expecting #2 on 11/27/2011.
#27 of 95 Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I am curious about:
2) your current position
4) typical tasks you do
1. PhD (in nursing), Women's Health NP
2. College Professor, NP in family planning/STD clinic
3. Academic year (Sept-May) I teach 2 classes/semester, work per diem in the clinic year round as schedule permits, present at conferences as schedule permits (some paid, some not)
4. Very flexible; I do a lot of school work from home; I pick clinic hours that are good for my schedule
#28 of 95 Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 AM

1) your degree/certification: BSN. Plan to start masters program here soon. Just not certain what or where!

2) your current position: RN in a large PICU trauma center, now leaving for a different position in a sexual offenders unit.

3) your usual hours; whether you are required to work overtime when your employer needs it; whether you can work overtime when you want to: Well, my unit has been really slow lately so we have been getting called off. Usually we can float to other units (NICU or the floor--I hate leaving my comfort zone but it's usually not bad). I work three 12s a week, nightshift which I like. Now Ill be working 8 hr shifts at night. I get a lot of time with my kids. I really do like being a nurse, I just hate working in the hospital. Never require to work OT but when it's available you can have all you want. Some of the RNs i work with make some good money. Im not very motivated by money and enjoy my time off work more....lol.

4) typical tasks you do: Well in the PICU I have 1-2 critically ill children that I manage. We, in general, assess q4hours, and do total care. I LOVE my patients and most of the families. I do all meds, labs, charting, call the resident when needed--lots of critical thinking at my job. It can be VERY stressful though when things go downhill, and it happens fast. Assessment skills have to be good and you have to learn fast.

#29 of 95 Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Teaching? Community or public health? Home health? Clinic working with moms and babies?

#30 of 95 Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Any ideas on career changes to something that is similar to nursing but doesn't have the same negativity/bitterness associated with it. Or maybe a change within nursing. I know the hospital is not for me. I would like to do something that is crunchier and fulfills those values.
I've got it! Diabetes educator! *Very* crunchy, lots of diet and exercise teaching, lifestyle education and maintenance, very wellness-oriented, and very much in demand (at least in the US). Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page