PhD-ing Mamas! Acheiving and Believing in 2009! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 252 Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lana, I think is normal.. I defended my dissertation yesterday and today I feel so crapy, the worst mother =( I don't know if it's ppd but definitely a bad day.
#182 of 252 Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM

How do you deal with money issues?

I wasn't going to take out loans for any living expenses, but I've decided to. My plan is to put it into my checking account and use it only if I have a shortfall for paying for childcare or commuting. I really thought I'd be able to keep up the same pace of freelancing and not need any additional loans, but that's just not happening. Do you worry about the loans, or try to ignore them until the future?

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#183 of 252 Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
How do you deal with money issues?
Are you not funded? I know most M.A. programs don't fund students (my university is an exception - all graduate students are funded, although PhD students get more funding) but I would try not to take out any more loans than I had to, especially for a degree that's not going to lead to high-paying employment.

I'm wondering why you wanted to get the MA first, and then enter the PhD program - or is that just the way your university works? I'm getting a PhD in anthropology, but along the way I'll also get an M.A. in anthropology and a Graduate Certificate in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Because I'm in the PhD program from the beginning I get generous funding - enough to support both of us, albeit frugally.

Maybe this isn't an option for you, I don't know...

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#184 of 252 Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Are you not funded? I know most M.A. programs don't fund students (my university is an exception - all graduate students are funded, although PhD students get more funding) but I would try not to take out any more loans than I had to, especially for a degree that's not going to lead to high-paying employment.
Right now, I'm not funded. I went into this program as a certificate student because of time issues. I'm applying to be rolled into the MA program in the spring, which the dept. chair thinks won't be a problem. They actually emailed me at one point and said I could get into the MA program if I wanted b/c there were spots, but I didn't b/c getting references is going to be a bit tough for me (b/c I freelance right now). So...long story, but I should (hopefully) be funded in the spring because they do give out new funding in the spring. Once that happens, then the stipend should cover preschool costs and my travel. I'm planning for it *not* happening, though, to be prepared.

Quote:
I'm wondering why you wanted to get the MA first, and then enter the PhD program - or is that just the way your university works? I'm getting a PhD in anthropology, but along the way I'll also get an M.A. in anthropology and a Graduate Certificate in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Because I'm in the PhD program from the beginning I get generous funding - enough to support both of us, albeit frugally.

Maybe this isn't an option for you, I don't know...
I'm getting the MA in gender studies and then a PhD in history. I really wanted to get a doctorate in gender studies b/c that's what I'd like to be teaching/researching full-time, but I just didn't think the risk was worth it. I figure that with the MA, I still have an opportunity to teach gender studies (maybe with a joint appointment?) but will likely get a job in a history department. DH and I have agreed that we're basically going to have to survive the MA program and then we should be okay. These years are just tough because the kids aren't in school yet, so there's significant cost for them.

#185 of 252 Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Brandi - I guess there are loans - but IMO my philosophy is only take out as much loan as you would take on if you didn't finish the PhD, YKIM? Don't take out 100K over 4 years to get a MA degree that will only pay $30 - just playing devil's advocate, but YKIM? FT child care was vital to being successful in my dept, so its worth it to take out the loans for me.

Okay - you guys - need some ++ vibes this way
I had a sort of interview today. I am looking for a faculty position in the next few years and so I am networking like crazy. There is a small college near me that would be an ideal place to adjunct (or even work as faculty when that time comes). Its interdicisplinary with a focus on biology. On the Lactivist forum, I know of one student there who said their instructor nursed during office hours like it was no big deal which is awesome. Its very crunchy, and relatively close. Anyway it went really well. I had lunch with the nicest people. They looked at my CV (thank goodness I updated it on my website!) and the guy who does all the math courses is really interested in having me teach a post-calculus ODE modeling course in the winter term! We were already talking about textbooks and references. Not only that, but I can teach it like a math biology course, just like I LOVE. Its on a trimester system, so it's only Jan 4th till March 10 - a full month before my due date.

Anyway - he has to get 6-8 people to sign up or at least show interest in signing up for the class, so send some good vibes. It doesn't pay much, but they will pay me on top of the stipend for mileage to and from campus (about 30 mi each way). Also - this is a great CV builder because it give me a chance to show that I can teach upper level courses. I never would have had that opportunity at my instiution.

BUT - BUT BUT BUT - I have so much dissertation work to do.... so also send vibes that I feel better soon, and that if this is meant to be, that I can juggle everything. Ahhh - trying not to get too excited!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#186 of 252 Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
Yes, indeed. I think I'm going to have to ration my "free" time pretty heavily.

Do you mind sharing your topic? It sounds like we're looking at similar topics from a different perspective.

The prof who I think will be my thesis advisor gave me a great idea for an end-of-term paper for history of sexualities this week based on my interests. I'm hoping when I go to the archives, I will find there's enough information to use it for my thesis as well. I need to double-up as much research time as possible!

Cuau, good luck on your defense! I hope all goes well for you!
my thesis research is how young women who self-identify as not-heterosexual understand their sexuality. so I'm looking at how they identify and the relationship between attractions, behaviors, community, politics and identification. I don't know know anything yet really but...

My dissertation is going to much more social movements focused. I don't know the question yet, but I'm an activist working in the Marriage Equality movement so I imagine that I'll find plenty there.

you?
#187 of 252 Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Hi Ladies!
I'm so relieved to have found this thread. When I interviewed for a doctoral program last winter, another candidate actually asked if doctoral students were "allowed" to have kids!!

I'm a quasi-granola mommy to a 2 yo DD. I'm getting ready to do a complete career shift from program management to clinical psych. I was supposed to start an unfunded doctorate this fall, but balked at the student loan (hello compounding interest!) and decided to get a masters first and then apply to funded doctoral programs. DH is also planning a huge career shift from architecture to DPT, so we're playing with all the different work vs. school variations of our schedules.

Thanks in advance for the great advice! I'm just happy knowing that I'm not the only one trying to be Superwoman!!

Sam
#188 of 252 Old 09-24-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

welcome newbies to the thread! its great to see the discussion alive and kicking!

SamsinLovex2, "allowed to have kids!!!!" that's hilarious! sadly, i bet some depts would say no if they could!

anyway, good for you for saying no-no to an unfunded phd program. its hard enough to juggle with funding!

Brandi, i myself have just recently taken out loans. i never planned to but my funding was granted for 5 years and i'm in my sixth. sigh. do i worry? sure...but i'm more worried about my dissertation!

Gradmama, your project(s) are intriguing. i too "do" gender studies. in the realm of postcolonial/African studies though my discipline is English.

Cuau----congrads! how was the defense?!! you know us ABD folks love the defense stories, please share! why the next day blues? did you have a chance to celebrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam'sInLovex2 View Post
Hi Ladies!
I'm so relieved to have found this thread. When I interviewed for a doctoral program last winter, another candidate actually asked if doctoral students were "allowed" to have kids!!

I'm a quasi-granola mommy to a 2 yo DD. I'm getting ready to do a complete career shift from program management to clinical psych. I was supposed to start an unfunded doctorate this fall, but balked at the student loan (hello compounding interest!) and decided to get a masters first and then apply to funded doctoral programs. DH is also planning a huge career shift from architecture to DPT, so we're playing with all the different work vs. school variations of our schedules.

Thanks in advance for the great advice! I'm just happy knowing that I'm not the only one trying to be Superwoman!!

Sam
#189 of 252 Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnaemeka View Post

Gradmama, your project(s) are intriguing. i too "do" gender studies. in the realm of postcolonial/African studies though my discipline is English.
Where in Africa? That's kind of what I do, too...

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#190 of 252 Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 PM

I'm not a Ph.d candidate, but I'm going back next Fall for my MBA/MS. Your kids will be so proud of you. I remember watching my aunt work/school fulltime with a baby boy. She finally finished her BS in 2004. She now holds an MBA and will be an adjunct professor in addition to her fulltime position starting Spring semester. Her son, my cousin, would stay with us while she was in school at nights and it definitely sent me a message that education was important and the impossible can be done if you have the will. I had tremendous respect for her as a result.

You will not be in school forever!

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#191 of 252 Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Where in Africa? That's kind of what I do, too...
well, i study (mostly) Anglophone African lit and film so my where is not as definitive as it would be for an anthropologist i imagine, though i'm probably more committed to locale and fieldwork than most new-school postco lit critics. in my diss i'm looking at texts by writers/filmmakers from Zimbabwe, Botswana/South Africa, Nigeria and Ghana. i have been to every region of the continent for research and travel and family visits, though most of my time has been spent in West Africa. i'm off to Ghana and hopefully Nigeria and Mali this winter break. this will be my first time traveling internationally with my baby girl.

what about you?
#192 of 252 Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Dar

I've spent time in Morocco and Egypt and I'm hoping to do fieldwork in Tunisia... so, North Africa. My advisor has done a lot of work in West Africa, though. I'm doing work on women's decision-making regarding fertility in post-colonial Islamic countries.

I'll be in Paris spring semester, so I should be able to at least spend some time in Morocco and Tunisia again then, and also to talk with North African immigrants in Paris.

#193 of 252 Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
Brandi - I guess there are loans - but IMO my philosophy is only take out as much loan as you would take on if you didn't finish the PhD, YKIM? Don't take out 100K over 4 years to get a MA degree that will only pay $30 - just playing devil's advocate, but YKIM? FT child care was vital to being successful in my dept, so its worth it to take out the loans for me.
I decided to take out the loans. It's only $6K, which is fine for now. I think it's adding it to undergrad loans which I shouldn't have taken (but hindsight...) that I'm panicking a bit. We've also had cuts, and the dept's down to 1(!) TA for next year. WTH? So, I'm not sure I'll have any funding, which means I'm going to have to do more freelance/community ed classes to keep things afloat here.

#194 of 252 Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post
my thesis research is how young women who self-identify as not-heterosexual understand their sexuality. so I'm looking at how they identify and the relationship between attractions, behaviors, community, politics and identification. I don't know know anything yet really but...

My dissertation is going to much more social movements focused. I don't know the question yet, but I'm an activist working in the Marriage Equality movement so I imagine that I'll find plenty there.

you?
I've been toying with going to the state archives. I want to look at the social worker notes from girls' reform schools in our state around the turn of the century. Though similar work's been done, none has happened in our area. I'm particularly interested in how same-sex relationships were viewed (and pathologized). Now if only I can make it to the archives...

I'm seriously considering begging my sister to come stay with me next summer to babysit while I do research. I can't afford FT childcare, but I think I will need FT hours since I need to get my thesis done to stay on track. Planning this with a family seems complicated. Back when I was single, I only had to consider myself when making these decisions.

#195 of 252 Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM

Well - I e-mailed my advisor todya to tell him I am pregnant. I will be 13 weeks on Saturday, so it was about time to fess up. I have been so sick, I havent' been able to get anything done.

brandi - the loans are worth it to have FT childcare. I thought I could be flexible with my son, but I only got bare minimum done, and it wasn't enough. Have you looked into applying for external fellowships this fall that will fund you next year? I know the deadlines are probably right about now.

gradmama - my state is facing a referendum on marraige equality. I am so sick of how many commercials there are already... but even more so, the ones that are "no on 1" make me cry. I just want people to have equality so much. Damn pregnancy hormones. :P

A PhD = + +
#196 of 252 Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Dar

Just a vent... but I am so tired of the professor I TA for this semester. I mean, as a person he's great, but as a teacher, not so much. His exams are all about little picky details that he expects students to memorize, even though they're not at all important... just little details about case studies he discusses. He's spending the next 3 class periods discussing an ethnography from 1931! And this is not a history class, and things in our discipline have changed a lot since 1931. It's not even that he's using it as an example of how our field was back during the colonial period - he's using it as an ethnography of puberty in Africa, period.

There are plenty of more recent books and articles on this topic, that really showcase what the discipline is like today. Some are written by professors in our own department, even. The class is such a waste of time, and I feel so bad for the students, many of whom also seem disappointed and frustrated.

The thing is, he's done a lot of his own work with women in Africa, too, and it would be so interesting to hear him talk about that. He's an MD/PhD, and most of his career has been spent in the medical field, which is what he was doing in Africa... but he could still talk about it anthropologically.

Deep sigh....

#197 of 252 Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just a vent... but I am so tired of the professor I TA for this semester. I mean, as a person he's great, but as a teacher, not so much. His exams are all about little picky details that he expects students to memorize, even though they're not at all important... just little details about case studies he discusses. He's spending the next 3 class periods discussing an ethnography from 1931! And this is not a history class, and things in our discipline have changed a lot since 1931. It's not even that he's using it as an example of how our field was back during the colonial period - he's using it as an ethnography of puberty in Africa, period.

There are plenty of more recent books and articles on this topic, that really showcase what the discipline is like today. Some are written by professors in our own department, even. The class is such a waste of time, and I feel so bad for the students, many of whom also seem disappointed and frustrated.

The thing is, he's done a lot of his own work with women in Africa, too, and it would be so interesting to hear him talk about that. He's an MD/PhD, and most of his career has been spent in the medical field, which is what he was doing in Africa... but he could still talk about it anthropologically.

Deep sigh....
oh Dar! i feel for you and the students. an ethnography about gender related issues in Africa, written in 1931 sounds freaking scary. i hope its better than what i'm imagining. could you ask him about his choice in material? a subtle intervention could save the next batch of students, next semester... i'm a TA this term too. its going good but the grading sucks. i so look forward to the day when i'll never have to TA again. sigh.
#198 of 252 Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Well - I e-mailed my advisor todya to tell him I am pregnant. I will be 13 weeks on Saturday, so it was about time to fess up. I have been so sick, I havent' been able to get anything done.

brandi - the loans are worth it to have FT childcare. I thought I could be flexible with my son, but I only got bare minimum done, and it wasn't enough. Have you looked into applying for external fellowships this fall that will fund you next year? I know the deadlines are probably right about now.

gradmama - my state is facing a referendum on marraige equality. I am so sick of how many commercials there are already... but even more so, the ones that are "no on 1" make me cry. I just want people to have equality so much. Damn pregnancy hormones. :P
Carita - I'm trying to get a phone-bank organized here in my town for Maine. After Prop. 8, I just can't take anymore...it's time to stop the madness.

What do you anticipate your adviser's response will be?

Dar - are you teaching sections where you can make the material a little more relevant for the students? Can you tell the prof that the students are coming to you in office hours with these concerns? I don't understand why on earth someone in a non-methods, non-history class would teach an ethnography from 1931 as primary material.....
#199 of 252 Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Carita - I'm trying to get a phone-bank organized here in my town for Maine. After Prop. 8, I just can't take anymore...it's time to stop the madness.

What do you anticipate your adviser's response will be?
Amen.

Well with #1, he was very supportive - he didn't bug me about stuff, said I could bring the baby in. But I guess we weren't on the same page because he was still expecting certain deadlines to get met and just didn't want to be the ogre. So I just want him to be more vocal when I am not keeping up - or just some help or something. Anyway, I expect him to reply and be supportive, but to be worried about my finishing my dissertation (and leave that part out). He still hasn't replied which makes me worried, but I am hoping he is just out of town.

A PhD = + +
#200 of 252 Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 PM

well fabulous response from my advisor. all is well - now if i could just get the chill out of my body and get up and work instead of surfing the web!!! i need someone to kick my butt.

A PhD = + +
#201 of 252 Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
well fabulous response from my advisor. all is well - now if i could just get the chill out of my body and get up and work instead of surfing the web!!! i need someone to kick my butt.
good news Carita, i'm sure you are relieved. but i have no spare energy to kick your butt cause i need every bit of motivation juju myself!

i've been pretty discouraged these days. my 15 month-er is in super clingy phase and she's been sick with a cold this last week. we had a two day break from classes and i was planning on working but sick baby and my subsequent cold threw a wrench in my plans. grandma was supposed to come to town to help but she canceled at the last minute due to illness too.

i need weekend childcare desperately cause hubby works most weekends and when he's not working he needs a break too. but i have little money and i feel bad that i can't manage to do diss work during the week when my peanut is in daycare but i'm teaching 4 classes and i'm behind on grading and everything just sucks.

i'm feeling like getting work done on my diss is an impossible dream. i keep setting schedules with my adviser/chair and i have been unable to produce and summit the pages. i feel like a major f-up and my committee is a child-free crew of super brilliant intellectuals who have no idea what i'm dealing with. i've thought about quitting this ish so many times in the last weeks. . .

dissertation gods help!!!!!
#202 of 252 Old 10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Dar

Quote:
Dar - are you teaching sections where you can make the material a little more relevant for the students? Can you tell the prof that the students are coming to you in office hours with these concerns? I don't understand why on earth someone in a non-methods, non-history class would teach an ethnography from 1931 as primary material.....
No - at my university grad students TAs don't do any actual teaching (well, an occasional lecture or two, but not discussion sections) because the parents who are paying 50K a year would freak out... so they tell us.

It would be hard to talk with him, for me anyway... he's not real approachable, and he's pretty confident is himself, to put it mildly. Today he spent an hour and a half going through the elements of this 1931 puberty ritual in detail - for 90 minutes - including the words of songs that were sung and the designs that were painted on the walls. This was like a 15 day ritual... :::sigh:::

This seems like a hard time of year for a lot of us... it's so hard to get going. I'm supposed to be working on my second year paper (like an MA thesis, basically), which I need to finish in early December because I'm spending spring semester in France. I just have no time to write it...

#203 of 252 Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 AM

I just have extreme pregnancy nausea, change of season headaches and lack of motivation too.... here's a group hugs we can do it!!! right?? right??? RIGHT!!!

I am not doing anything this semester except just laying on couch, and some days dragging myself and my son out to grocery shop. My parents have been such a huge help. But its still doesn't take away how overly crappy I feel. I think if I could just get up and going, it would be half the battle, YKIM, but I need a good kick in the butt.

Okay, my goal is to ditch the diss stresss, and just work on my syllabus for next semester. I picked up an adjuncting gig for the early spring, and as long as 8 people sign up, I am in business. So they are having an advising fair at the college next week and I have to go recruit people. Yes, please sign up for my MATH course as YOUR elective!!! I think I have my work cut out for me.

A PhD = + +
#204 of 252 Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Hello mamas, it's been so long, but I wanted to give you the details of the defense.

The presentation went good, although when I was covering the LAST chapter I turned to look at the clock and it was only 30mins!! I freaked out and my mind started racing. Then all of a sudden my words were really slow and long ha ha. I did finish early but only 5 mins, I stretched the last chapter like 20 mins.
I didn't had a big crowd, first becuase it was a monday, then it was at 2pm and last there were other seminars at that time. Of course also being the non-social person that I am very few friends showed up (being a mom leaves no time for socials)

Anyways, once the public part was done we went to a separate room. I was expecting them to really grill me, but no. I just got a couple of questions and suggestions for future research and that was all. They didn't even ask changes in the writting (which is very common),they all signed right there the papers.

So yeah it was easy, I would say too easy. Maybe that's why I got the baby blues the next day. I flet like they were just letting it go or not interested in my thesis.

I'm feeling better now, looking for a job and preping my next class. I took a break, I went to visit my family and I'm wroking on making diapers and winter jumpers for my little girls. I have one more week until I get back to academia life.
#205 of 252 Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM

Hey Ladies~
I have a gut-check decision to make, and would appreciate your advice.

I'm currently working a well-paying-but-bad-for- my- soul gov't job. I'm planning to start a Masters in Jan 2010 with the intention of starting a doctorate Fall 2012. Although my original gameplan was to quit work right before X-mas and be a full-time student, I'm starting to balk at the loss of steady income. However, if I try to squeeze school in around the edges, I'm worried I'll never finish the Masters, let alone the doctorate, and my kids (DD 23 months, #2 due in Jun) will feel marginalized.

What do you think? Responsible (work full-time, school on the side part time) or Fulfilling (so long current job, school full-time).

Thanks!
Sam
#206 of 252 Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi! Chiming back in here now that I'm tryinig to get back in the dissertation saddle.

I took time off to move across the country and start a family and now I'm feeling some regret. We're pregnant again and due at the end of May, just to make matters worse, and we have no family or help with the kid(s). It may be time to hire someone.

I found out today that I can't register until Spring semester, which means I will have no access to a library until then. I'm hoping that even if I have no online tools at my disposal (which is how I accessed journal articles before, for the most part), that the library in my current town is open access. At least I could read there and photocopy what I need?

On top of everything, I have to pay over $6,000 in back credits to get registered. I have to pay it all at once, with no option for a payment plan. I have no idea how this is going to happen. I guess this means we're not saving up for a house or emergency fund or anything anything else... and even so, how do I come up with that kind of money before January?

My partner is gone a lot and I'm in my first trimester, wondering what the crap I've gotten myself into. I have really painted myself into a corner and have no one to blame but myself, but that doesn't make it feel any better.

Anyway, sorry for the vent. I am planning to read a friend's dissertation to get me back in the mood and hopefully make myself a time line to see how fast I can crank this sucker out. My topic is vague and my committee in tatters, but surely I can find a way to get to work, right?

Eep!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#207 of 252 Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM

can you borrow a friends id/pswrd to acces journals until you are reistered. i'd def take out a school loan for the cost. we are going to have to do the same thing this summer, but i think it is going to be much more $$... ugh.

sam - can you reduce to PT? get an assistantship?

A PhD = + +
#208 of 252 Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
can you borrow a friends id/pswrd to acces journals until you are reistered. i'd def take out a school loan for the cost. we are going to have to do the same thing this summer, but i think it is going to be much more $$... ugh.
This is a great idea and would probably be smarter in the long run. It kills me to think about adding on to our loans, but I have no idea how to make it manageable otherwise. I'll look into it! Thanks.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#209 of 252 Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just have extreme pregnancy nausea, change of season headaches and lack of motivation too.... here's a group hugs we can do it!!! right?? right??? RIGHT!!!

I am not doing anything this semester except just laying on couch, and some days dragging myself and my son out to grocery shop. My parents have been such a huge help. But its still doesn't take away how overly crappy I feel. I think if I could just get up and going, it would be half the battle, YKIM, but I need a good kick in the butt.

Okay, my goal is to ditch the diss stresss, and just work on my syllabus for next semester. I picked up an adjuncting gig for the early spring, and as long as 8 people sign up, I am in business. So they are having an advising fair at the college next week and I have to go recruit people. Yes, please sign up for my MATH course as YOUR elective!!! I think I have my work cut out for me.
that sounds like a good plan. the syllabus and prepping for class is plenty! the first trimester is a total couch fest. i remember passing out on the couch in the dept lounge i was so exhausted and nauseous. the 2nd trimester will be better! right?
#210 of 252 Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuau View Post
Hello mamas, it's been so long, but I wanted to give you the details of the defense.

The presentation went good, although when I was covering the LAST chapter I turned to look at the clock and it was only 30mins!! I freaked out and my mind started racing. Then all of a sudden my words were really slow and long ha ha. I did finish early but only 5 mins, I stretched the last chapter like 20 mins.
I didn't had a big crowd, first becuase it was a monday, then it was at 2pm and last there were other seminars at that time. Of course also being the non-social person that I am very few friends showed up (being a mom leaves no time for socials)

Anyways, once the public part was done we went to a separate room. I was expecting them to really grill me, but no. I just got a couple of questions and suggestions for future research and that was all. They didn't even ask changes in the writting (which is very common),they all signed right there the papers.

So yeah it was easy, I would say too easy. Maybe that's why I got the baby blues the next day. I flet like they were just letting it go or not interested in my thesis.

I'm feeling better now, looking for a job and preping my next class. I took a break, I went to visit my family and I'm wroking on making diapers and winter jumpers for my little girls. I have one more week until I get back to academia life.
thanks for sharing your defense experience. i know it must have been disappointing to feel that your committee wasn't fully invested in the defense but better that than the grilling you style. a dear friend of mine felt so rattled and betrayed when one of his committee members very aggressively grilled him on issues he felt he had addressed and he had the blues for days. now he's chilling in his sweet TT job. whatever the case as a recently Dr'd friend told me "its an in-house document--write it, defend it, move on!" it wasn't too easy to write/research that thing while parenting so i hope you are extremely proud of yourself mama!

all i know once i'm Dr'd i'm partying like its 1999 (again)!!!!

now for the job search!!!! what's your approach/plan/ideal?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page