PhD-ing Mamas! Acheiving and Believing in 2009! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 252 Old 01-10-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well 2009 is here! time to build on what worked last year and let go of what didn't work or didn't happen!

how's your break going Mamas? getting any work done, organizing for Spring 2009 semester, building new strategies for time management or chilling the hell out? what are your goals and intentions for this new year?

i'm back to school/teaching this semester after being "off" for six months with baby. wow, i'm freaking out! nonetheless, my 2009 professional intention is to set realistic goals and celebrate the baby steps in the right direction. i'm still working on the details of what i want to achieve as far as the dissertation but if i can write two solid chapters by October, i'd be thrilled.
#2 of 252 Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm still on break for another 3 or so weeks, but I'm "working" on some stuff over the break, of course.

My goals for 2009 - defend one comps paper. No more incompletes.

My intentions - not to get any further behind on paperwork than I am, and to catch up some back paperwork (i.e. filing two years worth of taxes in two countries.) and get pregnant and have the baby.

Should we start a "Who we are" post? I'm not sure I know everyone who will be on this thread - I'm TTC, 2nd year sociology PhD in MA.

Any other sociology folks here? Anyone else doing work on parenting?

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#3 of 252 Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 PM

I'll re-introduce:
I'm am ABD at a R1 the southeast in mathematical biology. I took my orals just after DS was born in Sept 07.

Pregnancy and BFing hormones took my ADHD for a ride and I was diagnosed just this Fall with ADHD. So I had very unproductive work in the last 2 years. But I am doing much better now - my advisor gave me another chance with an RA this semester, and so far so good.

My school goals: To present at a local conference in March, to present at a National conference in July, from here get an idea about entering work force directly or onto post-doc (I'd honestly like a post-doc to practice my research skills and have another LO), then graduate in May 2010!

DS had 2 weeks off DC, so we were home Christmas and New Year's. We spent Christmas week sick. We go in after break to find that DS has an EI. To top it off, we are now all sick with the stomach flu. Let's hope the rest of the semester is healthy!! We need some heathly +++ vibes over here!!

GL to everyone this semester!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#4 of 252 Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 PM
EVC

To reintroduce myself: I'm fourth year in Slavic Linguistics.

We start back on the 20th. I DON"T WANT TO GO BACK!!!!!!! Well, I kinda do, but I just feel like I need another week or so of break. I got really sick on the last day of fall semester and was effectively out of commision for about a week and a half, so I feel like I was cheated out of half of my break :

And this semester will just kill me. I have taken on far too many responsibilities, it's not even funny. Every semester I promise myself that I will REDUCE my load the following semester and I was DETERMINED to follow through on that this time, but....It didn't work out. I got roped into doing a Readership for a class of 45 students (who write two papers, several quizzes, a midterm and a final--guess who will be grading all of those!)--this is in addition to starting German (for the reading exam that apparently no one ever passes on the first try anyway), taking two seminars, teaching a 5 credit lanaguage course five days a week to about 15 stuudents, finishing the book I'm writing with dh, and, oh yeah, taking care of a three year old. Oy. And I'm supposed to be revising a paper I wrote last semester for publication. It just never ends.

More break! More break!

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#5 of 252 Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
To reintroduce myself: I'm fourth year in Slavic Linguistics.

We start back on the 20th. I DON"T WANT TO GO BACK!!!!!!! Well, I kinda do, but I just feel like I need another week or so of break. I got really sick on the last day of fall semester and was effectively out of commision for about a week and a half, so I feel like I was cheated out of half of my break :

And this semester will just kill me. I have taken on far too many responsibilities, it's not even funny. Every semester I promise myself that I will REDUCE my load the following semester and I was DETERMINED to follow through on that this time, but....It didn't work out. I got roped into doing a Readership for a class of 45 students (who write two papers, several quizzes, a midterm and a final--guess who will be grading all of those!)--this is in addition to starting German (for the reading exam that apparently no one ever passes on the first try anyway), taking two seminars, teaching a 5 credit lanaguage course five days a week to about 15 stuudents, finishing the book I'm writing with dh, and, oh yeah, taking care of a three year old. Oy. And I'm supposed to be revising a paper I wrote last semester for publication. It just never ends.

More break! More break!

wow, EVC you are making moves! all the best with everything!

FtMPapa---i didn't realize your work is on parenting, very interesting. now i see why you had such good reading recommendations for us. feel free to keep us informed!

Carita, hmmmm are we at the same U??? i'm sorry your crew has been battling the bugs. we were sick for xmas/new years too. my DD survived her first cold. it broke my heart to see her nose all boogered-up.

I'm a 5th year/ABD in English Literature & Black Studies. this is my last funded year. i applied for one fellowship and didn't get it. and i don't feel ready to send out any more applications. oh well, i'm sure to get some teaching gigs in my dept for 09-10. but my DH is really ready to get of our small U city. i'm about ready too BUT so many buts!

so i tried to link last years thread to no success. whatever the case, i welcome you grad-mamas-lurkers to join us.
#6 of 252 Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM

deleted

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#7 of 252 Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM

EVC - don't overdo it - I got good advice i wasn't ready to hear - "XYZ doesn't write your dissertation and that's how you get outta here." I think I am ready to take that advice now.

nn - how old is your LO? I have one more year paid. But I had this very odd conversation today with another grad student who heard from another prof that I was graduating this year. hmmm? Um, I am? Cause if so, I'd better get my &$$ in gear - LOL.

angela - sorry you were sick too. I still don't feel great. ugh. What are you using for BC? I have a very similar goal... I want to have another, but I need to wait until I make enough progress that I KNOW I am going to graduate. I can't afford to take another 2 year brain sabbatical. Fortunately my hormones have not been begging me to TTC - my brain is still in control - LOL.

A PhD = + +
#8 of 252 Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Good luck to all as the semester gets under way. It'll be worth it in the end, right? Right?
#9 of 252 Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM

Anybody have any advice for me?

I'm having a tough time motivating myself. We're still on winter break, and I had this crazy idea that I had a whole six weeks off to work, but really I've got less than two left, and I've done very, very little.

And there's no hope of dilaing it up for the next two weeks - I'm going away for almost a week to see friends and family.

What thoughts get you to pick up the books in the morning?

I've been lazing around watching bootlegged TV online, snuggling with my dog and staying inside, away from the winter. I often spend a lot of "work" time reading my favourite blgos and checking e-mail, browsing journals online, looking for postings for online teaching gigs I'd like to pick up, sort of work-related tasks, but not actually work. After two hours of that, I think "Oh, time for a break," but I haven't actually done anything.

When I work at home, I surf the web. At the office, I often end up talking to my office mate. Important, stimulating, brainy conversations about our teaching, our research, politics within the department, whatever, but not actually getting anything on paper.

The one trick I have found is *somewhat* successful for me is to not check my e-mail, not even turn on the computer, just get up and start reading in the morning.

The problem with this strategy is that I pretty quickly end up with an overwhelming number of e-mails in my box, and people start getting anxious because OMG, they e-mailed me three hours ago and I haven't gotten back to them.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#10 of 252 Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM

I say deem whether or not the e-mail are actually of utmost importance or not. I agree with not checking e-mail - it is the biggest time suck. Don't stop at here either! LOL If I could put chatboard hours into research.

Can I tell you the biggest thing that has helped? Write everything you need to do in a quasi-detailed list. Get some shiny star stickers. Start working. Get a timer - put it on for 20 min, then 5 min break for web surfing (or whatever ration works best for you) and everytime you earn 5 stars from completing stuff on your list you get to watch a TV show or something. I love earning stars - LOL - dang ADHD makes us do weird things!

A PhD = + +
#11 of 252 Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
hey, z.! thanks for starting this thread. carita and z., yes, we were also sick for x-mas. we took a nasty stomach virus down to new orleans--it was my first time in NOLA (DH has some family there), and i have to say, i didn't enjoy myself with all the throwing up, and with stella throwing up, too!

so my goals for 2009 are: 1) let go of the fact i didn't get JACK done on my diss last semester because i really didn't expect to with the teaching load, etc. i had going on,

2) reconnect with committee and get on good terms,

& most importantly 3) get 2 solid chapters finished by the end of the summer

(one of which has to be done by end of april, when my diss talk is).

all of this will be easier if i 4) avoid getting pregnant until AT LEAST the 2 chapters are done!!!!!

(i have had two very much unwanted but still kinda bummer chemical pg's since july.)

z., what are you doing for childcare now that you're back to teaching? did you find daycare for your LO?
hey angela!

funny to talk from here but whatever!

your goals sound very doable. nothing like the diss presentation to kick us in gear. mine isn't scheduled yet so i'm off the radar right now, sort of.

i'm scared that you say working on the diss was impossible with two classes and baby, YIKES! i've GOT to get something done this spring. even if its a page a week or something. i've got to make this happen and GET a REAL JOB!!!

i'm so sick of my childcare woes, its just become THE obstacle. we did find a great dcp (a wonderful mama/grandmama who does in her home care for 4 babies off Barracks Rd) but she's pricey for us. so right now we are planning on sending LO to her for two half days so i can have a few hours to write and DH will be the parent in charge on the days i teach. we'll see how it goes...i've just been stressing already...i just wish we could afford the best care on a solid schedule so i could do my work with piece of mind.

anyway, how did you ladies manage the pumping? i've been really inconsistent and so are my breasts, so now i have no stash and i'm back to work in two days!!! any tips? i'm sipping on mother's milk as i type.

i've just beginning to think about another baby, a tiny inkling in the mind. crazy on some level but my period is back and so its like wow its possible, DD is only 5.5 months! of course my mom is like "don't get pregnant right now, be careful!!!" we're so not ready...but i'm not doing any official BC, i hate any hormonal BC and i'm nervous about IUD even though my sis and BF suggest it.

i'm sorry about the chemical pregnancies. i never knew the official terminology for that, so i googled it.

FtmPapa: sometimes you gotta just veg and not beat yourself up about it! we have breaks for a reason, so enjoy it cause its almost over. now when school starts, set a realistic schedule and get back to work.

but here's what i'm doing to time manage a bit: i am thinking about that program/site that blocks your favorite internet sites for a given time period...does anyone know which one i mean? also it might be time to acculturate friends, students, etc to fact that you can't always answer immediately. i've even stated in my syllabus that i may take 48 hours to respond to emails as it got CRAZY last semester and i was overwhelmed with virtual communication. and so one thing i don't do at all is IM!
#12 of 252 Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Hi! Can I join you guys?

I'm in my early 30s, ABD in Comp Lit, and technically in my fifth year. I (maybe foolishly?) moved away from my institution and am not currently teaching, just taking care of my one-year-old son. I have not yet really written part of my dissertation yet and have been taking some time off to do the kid thing.

But now it's time to get back to work! I have no idea how I will manage it. I can't work with the baby around and we have no childcare. I also don't know if I can write in a vacuum while I am not part of some kind of intellectual community. So maybe I should look for a class to teach and start checking out Craigslist for childcare? I'm just afraid that what I'll find won't be AP at all and/or will be totally unaffordable.

I'm also no longer connected to a big library, which *hopefully* won't be a problem if I can get what I need online. I don't even know if I'm still registered at my school so I can use the library's online article-finding services, etc. Eep!

Has anyone else attempted to write while away from their institution? Am I crazy? I'm not even positive I want to finish, but I feel like I'll regret it if I don't, so here I am, staring down the long barrel of a dissertation I don't have any interest in writing.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#13 of 252 Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM

This is very timely for me right now. My deadline for the defense is the first week of May. This means that I have to have my dissertation done in about two months, so the committee can review it and I can make any changes, before submitting the necessary paperwork with the Dean's office and Graduate school. I'm working part time Thursday and Friday in January, then my time will be completely devoted to my dissertation. Right now I am writing/finish up last minute analysis on Monday through Wednesday. I work roughly 12 hour days on my disseration...it's exhausting!

I am nearly done with Chapter 7 and have two more chapters to write after that. I feel pretty good at this point, but I oscillate between doubting my work/myself and thinking I'm doing great <sigh>. The troubling thing is that I gave my committee the first six chapters of my dissertation months ago and no one has yet to return the draft with comments. I am SOO tired of trying to whip these people into doing SOMETHING for me! : I feel like it's high time that the step up and help me get this thing done...suggestions on how to make this happen, anyone?
#14 of 252 Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Dar

I'm working on a PhD in cultural anthropology... I spent two years at a different university working on it, and then this year started somewhere new... and much better! I cannot believe how much better my current program is - grad students are well-supported (two years of fellowship, at the beginning and end, and up to 4 of TAship, all with a stipend we can actually live on), the professors actually respect each other, the professors are all truly helpful and kind, and the quality of the program is top-notch. So, that's all good... it's a lot of work (I took 15 hours last semester and am doing the same this semester) but I enjoy it.

The bad part is that my first two years didn't really "count" - I mean, I got stuff to put on my CV, and learned enough to get accepted here, but no one starts this program anywhere except in the beginning, whether you come in with a B.A. or M.A. So, it will take a bit longer, maybe... but with the economy the way it is, a lot of people I know in my field with brand new PhDs are having trouble finding jobs, so maybe it's good that I'm guaranteed support here for the coming 6 years...

Anyway, I started back yesterday and am already feeling behind, but we had a houseguest who just left today, and who unfortunately had the flu for half of the visit... anyway, I think things will settle down now and maybe I can get organized?

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#15 of 252 Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Hey - thought I would post this link to an article in the chronicle - I think it really speaks to our situation as PhD mamas... What do you think?
http://chronicle.com/daily/2009/01/9652n.htm

A PhD = + +
#16 of 252 Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
EVC

Quote:
Hey - thought I would post this link to an article in the chronicle - I think it really speaks to our situation as PhD mamas... What do you think?
http://chronicle.com/daily/2009/01/9652n.htm

Wow! Thank you for posting! Joanna is actually a good friend of mine--her dd and mine go to the same daycare/pre-school (but in different classrooms). She mentioned something last week or so about an interview, but never mentioned that the article was out already!!!!!!!!!

#17 of 252 Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM

small world! i like that its getting some attention. And I wonder at what that means for us... If those of us at R1 institutions have only "delusions" that small teaching universities are family friendly - will life ever get easier for us?

I can totally relate with the feeling that academia is not as family friendly as I thought it would be. I struggle to do research - and I haven't even published anything of my PhD work. And my teaching load will only be bigger with a "real job." How am I ever going to make tenure?

A PhD = + +
#18 of 252 Old 01-16-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Hi! Can I join you guys?

I'm in my early 30s, ABD in Comp Lit, and technically in my fifth year. I (maybe foolishly?) moved away from my institution and am not currently teaching, just taking care of my one-year-old son. I have not yet really written part of my dissertation yet and have been taking some time off to do the kid thing.

But now it's time to get back to work! I have no idea how I will manage it. I can't work with the baby around and we have no childcare. I also don't know if I can write in a vacuum while I am not part of some kind of intellectual community. So maybe I should look for a class to teach and start checking out Craigslist for childcare? I'm just afraid that what I'll find won't be AP at all and/or will be totally unaffordable.

I'm also no longer connected to a big library, which *hopefully* won't be a problem if I can get what I need online. I don't even know if I'm still registered at my school so I can use the library's online article-finding services, etc. Eep!

Has anyone else attempted to write while away from their institution? Am I crazy? I'm not even positive I want to finish, but I feel like I'll regret it if I don't, so here I am, staring down the long barrel of a dissertation I don't have any interest in writing.
welcome To-Fu!!! well, i've been thinking about your post. my DH and i are considering leaving the small U town after this semester. while i definitely nervous about writing and finishing away from the U i think its doable. other scholars are doing it and have done it. ultimately, you have to decide if you are going to do it or not. there are always a zillion obstacles, on campus or not. if you decide, "yes, i'm doing this"--then take it one step at a time. library affiliation for research is probably a good idea. can you access your U's resources via proxy? can you afford childcare? a babysitter a couple mornings a week? this shouldn't be too expensive esp if you are home working in the next room. what's up w/ your committee? what kind support network can you set up? at least one buddy to send drafts to? or at least be accountable to?

how about attending a conference in the near future for inspiration? adjunct teaching may/may not be exciting or practical right now. start with your project---any old papers to recycle?

some friends have found the book "writing your dissertation in fifteen minutes a day" helpful. nak. i think thats the title.

you can do it mama, but only you can decide if you WANT to.

i'm sure other folks can chime in...

and you know what i'm realizing: taking a year or two off for baby isn't the end of your life as a scholar/critic. you can work it your way..
#19 of 252 Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
This is very timely for me right now. My deadline for the defense is the first week of May. This means that I have to have my dissertation done in about two months, so the committee can review it and I can make any changes, before submitting the necessary paperwork with the Dean's office and Graduate school. I'm working part time Thursday and Friday in January, then my time will be completely devoted to my dissertation. Right now I am writing/finish up last minute analysis on Monday through Wednesday. I work roughly 12 hour days on my disseration...it's exhausting!

I am nearly done with Chapter 7 and have two more chapters to write after that. I feel pretty good at this point, but I oscillate between doubting my work/myself and thinking I'm doing great <sigh>. The troubling thing is that I gave my committee the first six chapters of my dissertation months ago and no one has yet to return the draft with comments. I am SOO tired of trying to whip these people into doing SOMETHING for me! : I feel like it's high time that the step up and help me get this thing done...suggestions on how to make this happen, anyone?
first of all to you! have you contacted your committee recently? no feedback at all? well, i suggest you just put yourself in somebody's face! (go to your adviser's office).
#20 of 252 Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Hey all!

I'm hoping/planning to start my PhD in Social Psychology this fall. All my applications are in and now I'm anxiously waiting for news and trying not to freak out. There are times when I'm really positive about my prospects and times when I try to prepare myself for the inevitable letters of rejection. This always interacts well with me being excited with being a single mom potentially moving my kids across the country to attend school, and me thinking that it's a stupid selfish thing to do.

I've been meditating and trying to find a place of peace of acceptance that everything will be allright... but an hour later I'm back on the internet looking at my applications again.

Nice to meet ya!
#21 of 252 Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

I'm beginning my last semester of coursework right now. I'm working on my Ph.D. in Curriculum & Instruction.

I've decided to start a consulting business with some friends from my program rather than do teaching/research, which was my goal before I had DS. It's funny how things change once you have children.
#22 of 252 Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Hi :

Nice to see some new folks here

For me...I am nearing the end of this pg, so I am trying to get a lot done over the next 2 months. I hope I can get as much done as I'd like, but I am also being realistic. Whatever isn't done by then, I'll have to move to a later date. The other kids are excited to officially meet the baby, so that's been fun. Seeing them get excited is so awesome, both Dh & I are also getting so excited too. : However, it's also a little nerve racking. I would rather focus on the variety of cloth diapers on the market & millions of websites devoted to them than work

Here's my plan right now:
  • Teach my 2 courses--both intro, done these a million times. Nothing big, but just another thing to do.
  • Finish my transcribing--making my way, I should complete it all within the next couple of weeks.
  • Finish my chapters--right now I have over a 100 pages, need to fine tune things & add probably another 40 pages to complete the last few chapters. It's been so cool to finally see it all coming together. Chapters 1-4 are done (minus possible revisions, which I am sure will come), my focus will be on 5-8 for now.
  • Finish my work for my old boss--not urgent but I want to get it to her sooner than later
  • Wait to hear about my submission to 1 conference & present at 2 others (already accepted).
  • Get at least one paper accepted to a journal or at least submitted.

I'd like to be done by Aug 2009, behind what I originally would have liked but not too bad. However, I still don't know what will happen when I actually finish; that's another area to work on over the next few months. Figuring out where to go from here.

Oh yah and the whole time I am supposed to try to remain sane & patient

--lots of love from one busy momma of 4 & loving wife of 1--
#23 of 252 Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Hey all!

I'm hoping/planning to start my PhD in Social Psychology this fall. All my applications are in and now I'm anxiously waiting for news and trying not to freak out. There are times when I'm really positive about my prospects and times when I try to prepare myself for the inevitable letters of rejection. This always interacts well with me being excited with being a single mom potentially moving my kids across the country to attend school, and me thinking that it's a stupid selfish thing to do.

I've been meditating and trying to find a place of peace of acceptance that everything will be allright... but an hour later I'm back on the internet looking at my applications again.

Nice to meet ya!
I was just lurking and thinking the same thoughts as you, Sweeny! I too am a single mom that just sent out all my apps for PhD programs in astronomy. I worry about the whole moving thing too, and I have the added complication that my ex still has partial custody of our kids. I don't know what's going to happen if I want to relocate; he said he might be willing to consider moving where I move, but on the other hand, he doesn't want to guarantee it, and proposed that we split custody over a calendar year rather than over a week like we do now. But that thought really doesn't sit well with me; I think it will be hard enough on my dd's to relocate, much less if they only get to see their dad over the summer or something.

Anyway, just wanted to add that I sympathize...hopefully it will all work out... but for now it's a waiting game to see what acceptances we have to choose from...

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#24 of 252 Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

hey Mamas:

check this call for papers/essays out:

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
>
> Baring Witness to Our Lives as Mothers in Academia
>
> Mari Castañeda and Kirsten Isgro, Editors
>
> As more women enter academia as students and intellectual workers,
> universities
> are being challenged to rethink policies in order to ensure a
> greater balance
> between family life and academic life as well as recognize the ways
> in which
> women are reshaping the cultural and intellectual dynamics of higher
> education. Despite emerging changes, mothers continue to struggle
> for a voice
> in an academic landscape that privileges students and scholars who
> are able to
> commit countless hours to their areas of study.
>
> This volume aims to give voice to women who are or have been
> mothers as
> undergraduates, graduate students, administrators, and professors
> in order to
> bare witness to their success and the strategies they employed in
> their efforts
> to grapple with motherhood while in academia. In addition to
> testimonios
> (testimonial accounts) of women's lives as mothers in academia at
> various
> stages, the book will also include chapters that discuss
> theoretically and
> empirically the material conditions of working mothers in a moment
> when higher
> education is becoming more laborious. As the political economy of
> academic
> institutions shift towards corporate-based models of teaching, in
> both blatant
> and subtle ways, it's critical to ascertain how women's lives in
> the academy,
> and by extension their families, will be affected these structural-
> cultural
> changes.
>
> We welcome essay proposals that address one of the following areas:
>
> Being a Mom as a traditional or non-traditional Undergraduate Student
> Balancing Graduate School and Motherhood
> Parenting While on the Higher Education Administrator and/or
> Professorial Track
> Policies that Support Mothers in Academia
>
> Please send a 300-word ABSTRACT by April 15, 2008 to
> mari@comm.umass. edu and
> isgrok@plattsburgh. edu
>
> Complete manuscripts will be solicited after abstracts are fully
> reviewed.
> Please don't hesitate to contact us for further information:
>
> EDITORS
> Dr. Mari Castañeda, Associate Professor
> Dept. of Communication, University of Massachusetts Amherst,
> 413-545-1307
>
> Dr. Kirsten Isgro, Visiting Assistant Professor
> Dept. of Communication, State University of NewYork Plattsburgh,
> 518-564-2407
>
> Mari Castaneda, PhD / Associate Professor
> Faculty Adviser, www.studentbridges. org
> -
> University of Massachusetts Amherst
> Communication Dept, Machmer Hall 311
> 240 Hicks Way, Amherst, MA 01003
> phone: 413.545.1307 / fax: 413.545.6399
> http://www.umass. edu/communicatio n/mari
>
>
#25 of 252 Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

OOOOOOOH!

I'd just like to say that I applied to UMass and am now doubley glad I did so.
#26 of 252 Old 01-24-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

hey mamas:

best of luck to all of you applying to grad school. just remember to keep an open mind and let us know when you get some acceptances/offers.

anyway, i'm attending a two day symposium next weekend with my 6 month dd. i'm not presenting or anything, just attending in search of connection and inspiration. does anyone have any tips? i'm bringing my carriers and the travel system/stroller too. i have some friends-colleagues who will attending as well and i'm sharing the hotel room w/ a friend-colleague as well. i wish i had a booster seat-high chair thingy. i just pray that dd isn't too disruptive...she's usually pretty quiet in public b/c she's so busy checking everyone/everything out. but she's quite active these days so we'll see...
#27 of 252 Old 01-24-2009, 02:39 PM
EVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnaemeka View Post
hey mamas:

best of luck to all of you applying to grad school. just remember to keep an open mind and let us know when you get some acceptances/offers.

anyway, i'm attending a two day symposium next weekend with my 6 month dd. i'm not presenting or anything, just attending in search of connection and inspiration. does anyone have any tips? i'm bringing my carriers and the travel system/stroller too. i have some friends-colleagues who will attending as well and i'm sharing the hotel room w/ a friend-colleague as well. i wish i had a booster seat-high chair thingy. i just pray that dd isn't too disruptive...she's usually pretty quiet in public b/c she's so busy checking everyone/everything out. but she's quite active these days so we'll see...

OOOOOH, great question! Not to hijack you, but I have been meaning to ask something similar for a long time! What do y'all do about conferences? I have managed to avoid them thus far, but now that I'm fourth year, my dept. is starting to hint (not so subtly) that I need to start presenting things. What do you do about your kid(s)? Do you leave them with your partner (not realistic for us), or do you bring them? How does this work?

#28 of 252 Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
OOOOOH, great question! Not to hijack you, but I have been meaning to ask something similar for a long time! What do y'all do about conferences? I have managed to avoid them thus far, but now that I'm fourth year, my dept. is starting to hint (not so subtly) that I need to start presenting things. What do you do about your kid(s)? Do you leave them with your partner (not realistic for us), or do you bring them? How does this work?
i'm hoping to go to MLA in december. by then DD will be 2.5, and i'm thinking i will leave her at home with DH, or else DH will come with me for our first alone-time as a couple overnight since she was born, ahem , and we will leave DD with my parents for a couple days. even assuming she's still nursing, i think leaving her for a couple days at 2.5 will be fine!

but definitely if i had a nursling under 1, they would come with me (and DH would come too to help out with that). between 1 and 2, it would depend on various factors, including how well the child did with solids, how long the trip was for, and if i thought i and the baby could handle the separation.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#29 of 252 Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Sweeney - I'm at UMASS, it's a great area for AP parenting!

nnaemeka - since you're not presenting, it should be much less stressful.

I looked after a colleague's six month old at a HUUUUGE conference this past summer, while she was presenting, and I think she underestimated how much spending the night in a new place would disrupt his routine. He's normally a very chill baby, but he was definitely on edge at the conference - first time sleeping in a hotel, first time away from home, first time left with a babysitter, etc.

When I saw her at sessions and stuff she and the baby both seemed fine, he was in a carrier and his usual cheerful self, but in the evenings and morning, i.e. starting the day and going to bed for the night, they faced a few challenges.

My advice is at sessions, try to sit near a door, so you can easily sneak out if you feel you should. Also, I know some babies are happier if you're up and moving, and I don't think it's at all rude to stand (at the back of the room), if it will keep DD happier. As a presenter, I see lots of people doing that, either because they're session-hopping or they came in late or whatever, and it doesn't bother me, as an audience member, I never even notice that there are people standing at the back.

Let the vicious glares slide off you, as a not-yet-but-hopefully-please-soon-please-papa, I'm always thrilled to see babies in sessions, but not everyone is, some people take themselves way too seriously.

#30 of 252 Old 01-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Hey nnaemeka, did you get that call for abstracts recently?

The submission date says April 2008 - typo or is it that old?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page