Frivolous Work Question - Food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, how do you (or do you) avoid food in the office. Especially when they have, say, pizza downstairs and you have one hour left to go. :

signature currently in transition
#2 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM

I don't . In our office it's not pizza and such, but when it's someone's birthday there's cake or Danish or chocolates, usually 1-2x/week. I'm proud if I limit myself to one serving

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#3 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry View Post
I don't . In our office it's not pizza and such, but when it's someone's birthday there's cake or Danish or chocolates, usually 1-2x/week. I'm proud if I limit myself to one serving
All bets are off with the Danish Chocolates.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Why would I avoid the yummies?

-Angela
#5 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 PM

I've gotten sick twice from office food. I don't think its that things are spoiled, I think its that one of my migraine triggers happens to be an ingredient the most popular office caterer likes to use and I can't figure out which things its in or what the ingredient is. Since its such a mystery I'm beginning to suspect its an artificial sweetener showing up in dishes where you wouldn't normally expect a sweetener. Since I've had to call my DH to come pick me up in the middle of the day each time because I couldn't even drive myself home, its pretty easy to avoid anything that comes from that caterer. In fact, if I have to go to a lunch meeting I bring my own food instead of eating what is provided.

For things that don't come from that particular caterer, like pizza and such, I just think about how those things tend to sit in conference rooms or on the kitchen counter. I figure if they are willing to leave a dairy based dip sitting on the kitchen counter for several hours, I shouldn't trust the food safety of just about anything that comes into the office. So now when I get announcements that there is food, I just remind myself how often I've seen poor food safety and it gets much easier to pass on the bacteria fest.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#6 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh so glad to knwo I'm not the only one who really quite helps herself. Trouble is I need to stop helping myself. And today I didn't eat teh pizza! (I did eat the kisses at the help desk tho!)

signature currently in transition
#7 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM

I look forward to office junk food because we don't keep that kinda stuff at home. IMO, having some at work is no biggy if food at home is healthy.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM

I partake freely
All bets are off when there is free food.
We are a pretty small office so we always know when we can expect left overs from a meeting or such and it doesn't sit out long before it is gone.

I am also the enabler since I always have a full candy bowl in my office. As HR I have learned people are more like to come see me if there is chocolate Otherwise noone ever just pops into the HR persons office. And I am actually quite nice.

My problem is, we don't have pizza nearly often enough.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#9 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to just try and avoid the break room. Thank god, with this recession, they've decided to cut out the snacks.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#10 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I WAH now, but when my job was office-based I wouldn't make much effort to avoid the goodies in the break room.

I remember once, a few months post-9/11, my boss and I were in the break room having some powdered-sugar-coated coffee cake and as we were munching I said, "So who brought this in?" and he said, "Hm, I actually don't know" and I said, "So, we're just sitting here eating some random food with unidentified white powder on top, amid all these anthrax scares? I hope the terrorists never realize that the real way to wipe us out would be to infiltrate our break rooms with baked goods!"

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#11 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 PM

I won't eat food unless I know who brought it in. I work in an office with several departments so there is free food left in kitchen a few times a week. Unless I was part of the gathering I stay away from it. No real reason but it works to keep me from eating more junk (I eat enough on my own)

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#12 of 18 Old 01-16-2009, 03:49 AM

I don't.

We don't have nearly as much as we used to have so I don't feel guilty enjoying it when it is there.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#13 of 18 Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM

I don't avoid!

At my old office, in a different city, people always made a big deal out of treats, like " Oh, I really shouldn't, I am on a diet...blah...blah.." It was annoying, frankly. Now I live in a much more laid back city, and when we have cupcakes for a birthday, or lunch b/c we have a meeting or something, people partake freely, and I always join in!
#14 of 18 Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

We're having a lot of construction done on our building. The construction has disturbed a lot of building residents... namely the mice and roaches!!! Our receptionist used to keep a candy jar but stopped due to it attracting the mice. Now she just has plastic wrapped mints... not nearly so tempting! So, think of the vermin.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#15 of 18 Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 PM

I used to work in an office that had goodies almost daily. Fortunately I worked part time and wasn't there everyday. I usually had a little but had to convince myself not to head to the break room for more later. I started bringing tea, especially chai tea to get a little bit of sweetness and curb the desire to stuff my face with sweets. But as a pp said about it making her feel ill. I have that going for me a bit too. Too much of the wrong things and digestively speaking I am a wreck.
#16 of 18 Old 01-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Oh, easy: I just remember the nasty rash that my nurslings will break out in if I eat the wrong things. :-/

Our office has a "Sunshine Club," where you pay $2/month and then get a card and a cake on your birthday. Meanwhile, you get to join in the celebration of everyone else's birthdays. I don't belong, because I can't eat the cake, and there's just no way I'm going to put anyone through trying to find me a gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free, soy-free, egg-free, sorghum-free, canola-free cake for *my* birthday.

The bakery they get them from is fabulous, though, I've heard. It's across the street from DH's work, so I have some good info on it.

I bring a ton of food with me to work every day, too. That helps. (And I bring my own treats... cookies or candy or whatever... and keep a bag of good turbinado sugar for my coffee in my desk.)
#17 of 18 Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know what you mean! I have to go back on the diet after the baby is born and I can remember only having one tiny square of pizza to look like I was partisipating in a pizza party! I wouldn't snuff it (my grandfather is Italian and in Italy its just plain RUDE to refuse food!) but I do have to limit myself.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#18 of 18 Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Heh. I have, many times, been rude to protect the health of my kids. ;-) Sometimes, in this world, you have to be!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page