Can quitting your job be a job goal? haha - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just completed my annual evaluation at my job. I have been working at this job since Nov 2004. Every year I fill this out and not once has my boss had a meeting with me about it! So I never really know how I am "doing", although I assume it's fine or she would say something. I spoke to a coworker who had a different supervisor and he had just finished with his evaluation in which they spoke for over 1 1/2 hrs! I told him I had never done that.
So on Friday my boss emailed me and told me to add/modify the "goals" section of the evaluation. The funny thing is, is that I didn't put any goals and I never have on any of the other ones. So either this coworker said something or she's finally getting her @*!@ together. I don't really have any goals specfic to the job, only that I don't want to do that job anymore. I am quite burnt out (microscope work). I am only wanting to keep this job until I have a baby, that's my real goal. Any advice?

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 08:00 PM

I've felt that way before
But I think you could still set some goals, depending on your long term plans and what time frame you're looking at now. Your goals could be toward a potential future job - unless you're planning on never working again - for instance a course, project that will expand your options now or in the future. If you may still be here a while (not sure if you're pregnant already or planning to be?), why not think of goals that will make your current job more enjoyable? Or are there ways to move within the organization and do something else?
Nobody needs to know you're planning to leave, but I would plan with the possibility in mind that for whatever reason you'll continue or return to work, there or someplace else. You just never know..

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 PM

I would ask your boss for some examples of her goals and make yours to support hers.

And I agree with the PP and figure out where you want to be besides your job - then put some goals or training around that.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

I am really burnt out from the work that I do. I work at a university that has a research institute that specializes in lakes, rivers, and wetlands research. I worked for them as a student and was hired as an LTE shortly after graduating. Initially I was doing a lot of data entry, which I was fine with. I can sit at a computer for many hours a day, no problem. Then they moved me to some additional computer work that involved using a program to measure aquatic organisms from pictures. I also did field work, which was fun but now that I have a family it's not realistic anymore. For the past 3 years I have been doing taxonomy of microscopic organisms in the water. At first I didn't mind sitting a microscope for many hours a day, but now I am so so tired of it. I get headaches, backaches, and feel like a zombie. It has become incredibly boring and monotonous. It doesn't help that I am in the lab for most of the day by myself (as the other taxonomist quit last april), it is incredibly lonely and I yearn for interaction. Then when spring rolls around and the ice is off the lake (lake superior) I will be at our research site sitting at the microscope there. There is only my boss and one other person that knows the taxonomy (and he has other projects so isn't available all that often). So I feel stuck. And it's not like my boss will hire another taxonomist or anything, nothing like having all your eggs in one basket! That is why after I have my baby (not even preg yet) I don't want to go back. Sorry so long....

Old 02-15-2009, 02:42 AM

can you have a goal to obain employer's funding to attend a conference in your field of study and join the local professional association?

Sounds like you want to go somewhere

Although I sympathize, I figure I could write out I want to help the company in this economy by reducing my hours...
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranamama View Post
can you have a goal to obain employer's funding to attend a conference in your field of study and join the local professional association?

Sounds like you want to go somewhere

Although I sympathize, I figure I could write out I want to help the company in this economy by reducing my hours...
Yes, I believe I can go to conferences, but I don't want to. I kind of have a bad taste in my mouth with this job. I know that it is from the work that I do, as well as the way that I am treated by my boss. For instance, since the other taxonomist left, I have no one to confir with when I am having trouble identifying an organism. I am by no means an expert at this. I have pretty much learned from seeing the same thing so many times. Well when I get something new I try to take it through the keys and sometime it works and mostly I get stuck. When I ask my boss for help she makes me feel guilty for bothering her (she's very busy, with a lot on her plate~biology chair, director, on committees, teaching) . So now I have pretty much stopped asking her bc I have been shot down so many times. I have no desire to learn additional organisms, just not interesting to me anymore. On top of this my boss will be retiring in 5 years so it is uncertain what will happen to the institute when she leaves.
Starting this month, I did reduce my hours from 40 to 30 hours. This has helped a bit. Just like someone said on the Oprah show a while back, "job you deplete me", or something like that. This is how I feel.

User Tag List