Student nurses, nurses, pre-req takers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
the other nurse threads seem to have evaporated so i'm starting one. I'm about to graduate from a two year program (Yayyyy!) and I'm trying to figure out my options for work. I really do not enjoy the hospital and would love to work in homes with patients, but the information I have (i'm in NYC) is that you need a four year degree to be a hospice or visiting nurse. I was just told by another student that with one year of hospital experience you can apply for VNS jobs. Can anyone please enlighten me or tell me stories of first jobs? I'm really drawn to psych nursing but have been told that I "should" get my medsurg experience first. I can see the wisdom in this but also want to enjoy what I'm doing. I'm scared!
Thanks for any reads/replies.
Pele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 PM

moved to working and student parents.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#3 of 3 Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM

I graduated last May '08 and I went right into the ICU as an new RN. Though I learned a lot and overall enjoyed it, it was *very stressful* and I quickly burned out of the hospital--I have no plans to go back to the hospital at all if I can help it. The hospital is not for me.

I went into psych and man I love it! I found a good unit to work on (juvenile sexual offenders, it's a residential unit). I don't think you need med-surg or a medical background to do psych. Most of the RNs I work with love psych and have only ever done psych because that is what they wanted to do....we have a very very low turnover of RNs in our unit because the nurses are happy with their jobs. Some have gone back to school and gotten psych masters degrees, and a couple have started or grad from psych NP programs.

Anyways, good luck!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page