Anyone else have 2 drop off/pick up locations? How do you do it??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just realized that, based on my children's ages and our childcare needs, I will have two different drop off and pick up locations (and times) for the next 4 1/2 years.

With DH's and my schedule, one of us does drop offs, the other does pick ups. How the HECK am I going to make this work while maintaining my full time (aka very busy with demanding hours) job??

This reality has just hit me. For the first 5 months after I returned to work (after DS2 was born) we had a nanny, (bad experience). Then DH managed to switch shifts with someone for most of the summer. Then we had another part time nanny, (another bad experience) until almost Christmas. Since then, I've been hanging by a thread and barely making it work. We get home late, eat fast food for dinner, or we're rushing around in the a.m. and at least one of us is late every day, (including me getting to work it's 3 stops every morning!)

How do you other mammas do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 AM

My kids are older so I've been doing this off and on for probably 12 ish years. And I have three differrent schools so it will continue for the next three years as well. There's planning ahead for dinners (I find it really helps), becoming friendly with neighbors and classmates mothers, etc. There is often a mom in most neighborhoods that wants to make a couple extra $$ taking kids before and after school.
#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 PM

I've been doing the 2 drop-offs/pickups for almost 3 years now. Right now, my oldest is in school and my youngest is in daycare. We leave the house at 7:05, drop my youngest off in town at daycare and get to the bus stop by 7:20ish. Then I make it to work by 7:40. Same thing in reverse after work. I have to leave work by 3:30 to get to the bus stop, then pick up my youngest. Thankfully, neither place is too far out and I make a big circle. I do always have to make up hours here and there but dh works longer hours than I do so he can't do any of it. Hopefully with his new job, he'll be able to do some pickups.

I do as much prep as possible the night before, I meal plan, I take total advantage of my lunch hours to clean up my house, do laundry, grocery shop. I get up early and get completely ready before I wake the kids up so I can focus on them and we can get out the door. Mornings are still usually rushed, but we get there and everybody's dressed and fed.
#4 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 PM

I spend an hour in the car in the morning getting eveyone where they need to be. My kindergartner and I drop my toddler at daycare. I drop my son at school. I dash to work! It's just the way our routine will be until my toddler attends school with my kindergartner.

I am fortunate to have my mom pick-up my kids in the evening.
#5 of 5 Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Right now one is in daycare and the other is in kindergarten at a montessori school (we needed daycare hours but wanted more than just "babysitting" that the daycares provide for 4-6 year olds).

DS#2 can start grade 1 full time in 1 1/2 years, DS#2 can start grade 1 full time in 2013. Then they will finally be at the same school. Until then, unless I move them both to brand new schools (which I won't do - they have both already been moved) I will have to manage this dual drop off/pick up thing until fall 2013. We thought it would work as we had a nanny when I first went back to work; the nanny would keep DS#2 home, which meant only one drop off/pick up, but when that didn't work out, we had to put DS#2 in daycare (the one DS#1 goes to doesn't start until age 4 - unfortunately, DS#2 can start there just as DS#1 will be leaving...).

Both schools/daycare are far from home with no bus service to them, and they are not really near residential areas so the only real option is to drop off/pick up by car. I LOVE both providers so we're still happy we made that decision - maybe just didn't think through how it would actually play out...

We also have no parents who drive who can help us out, and no family near by.

We set this all up thinking we'd keep a nanny long term. We had such a bad experience I just don't think I can go back to that.

I did realize though that part of the issue now is that I am dropping both kids off, then I pick up DS#2 while DH picks up DS#1. Maybe I should let him pick up both DS so I can work late if needed. Part of my stress is juggling the drop offs and pick ups within reasonable hours (so the kids are not in daycare 10 hours/day) while also working the demanding hours of my job.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page