Anyone else here work outside the home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
Just wondering how many other non-SAHM's are on this board. Sometimes I feel a bit lonely! It can be a challenge to AP and such when you have to work outside the home, IMO, and I'd love to compare notes with like-minded moms.

I had to go back to part-time work (about 3 hours a day) when Casey was 3 months, and though it went okay, there were a few challenges with pumping enough to keep her happy while I was gone. We made it through, though, and learned a lot along the way!

My job is such that I teach at a university, hired as-needed on a term-by-term basis. Winter quarter is a time when I'm rarely needed for teaching, so I'm actually *not* working at this particular time--I get to be a SAHM until the end of March, and this is also requiring some adjustment on my part (though I'm enjoying it so far!). Compared to when I worked before I had a baby, though, it's a lot tougher!! But the worst of all, IMO, is trying to work and parent. Yeck. I love my work, but I do wish I didn't have to do it while she's so young...

Anyone else?
#2 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,
Just wondering how many other non-SAHM's are on this board. Sometimes I feel a bit lonely! It can be a challenge to AP and such when you have to work outside the home, IMO, and I'd love to compare notes with like-minded moms.

I had to go back to part-time work (about 3 hours a day) when Casey was 3 months, and though it went okay, there were a few challenges with pumping enough to keep her happy while I was gone. We made it through, though, and learned a lot along the way!

My job is such that I teach at a university, hired as-needed on a term-by-term basis. Winter quarter is a time when I'm rarely needed for teaching, so I'm actually *not* working at this particular time--I get to be a SAHM until the end of March, and this is also requiring some adjustment on my part (though I'm enjoying it so far!). Compared to when I worked before I had a baby, though, it's a lot tougher!! But the worst of all, IMO, is trying to work and parent. Yeck. I love my work, but I do wish I didn't have to do it while she's so young...

Anyone else?
#3 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 06:32 PM

YES.... but I'm still at home right now, I'll have to return to work in a few weeks - probably mid Feb.
From when my son was a baby the most challenging thing was pumping at work, I had to do it so often to keep up with him... I quit pumping whne he was 6 months old.

I think this is going to be a lot tougher, to get two kids out the door NOW is hard, when I have to be at work on time its going to be a lot worse...... I'm not looking forward to that part.

I wish I could just stay home - mind you - this being at home is pretty tough too - I've not even cleaned up the kitchen yet and its almost 2pm!! :LOL
(I did get one load of laundry done though)
#4 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 06:36 PM

I've been back to work for a week. My son, Noah, is 3 months old. I'll be working full time through May, then off for the summer and back to work part time, mostly at home in the fall (by choice).

I do miss him, but it's not too bad. I drop him off at 9 with a friend down the street. Their family has 4 wonderful kids between 8 & 15 and they're a foster family w/ no foster kids right now. Noah has her undivided attention until 3 when Daddy picks him up.

I tried to get PT work at my job, but it didn't fly. DH has been part time for 2 years working on his Masters, he'll take this time to finish his thesis and then go back full time in May. I'm currently working for benefits and to pass my projects off to a new engineer. I just wasn't ready to drop this job when he was born.

Pumping has gone well so far, I'm keeping up with the Mother's Milk tea and was able to freeze a few extra ounces this weekend.

Take care

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#5 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 09:56 PM

DD is almost 4 months I went back to work when she was 12 weeks DH is getting his PHD, and hopefully he will be done soon.

I am a high school science teacher and really do enjoy my job, but it's hard to leave, dh takes care of her when I'm gone he works during naps and when I get home. Pumping is going well, I'm drinking abundant milk tea, I've never had supply issues and am a great pumper, but I don't want to take any chances.

I wish I could work part time that seems to me to be a good mix, some adult time and still plenty for the kids, right now I feel like I'm missing a lot.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chelly2003

I wish I could just stay home - mind you - this being at home is pretty tough too - I've not even cleaned up the kitchen yet and its almost 2pm!! :LOL
(I did get one load of laundry done though)
Are you kidding me? I don't even *try* to clean the kitchen until the evening when my husband gets home! And one load of laundry? All riiiiight! You GO, girl! Yes, full-time parenting is rough, but definitely rewarding, too!

As for the rest of you--I can't even imagine working full-time with my baby at home! I will probably be doing full-time work this summer, so I'll find out exactly what it's like, but I just shudder at the thought. At least she'll be over a year then, so she won't have quite the level of dependence on me that she has now (maybe...: ). I really admire you guys and have the greatest respect for what you're doing!

Full-time pumping might actually be easier than the part-time I was doing. I was only at work for 3 hours (sometimes a bit less), so my problem was that I didn't get full enough while there to pump more than a couple ounces--but of course she was drinking more than that while I was gone. We got through the first month or so with stashed milk from the first three months (when I was producing enough for twins, no kidding!), and after that I started pumping in the middle of the night (she was sleeping through the night then--boy, do I miss that! Don't miss the nightly pumping, though...). It's just a case of doing what we have to do...
#7 of 33 Old 01-19-2004, 03:13 PM

I work 32 hours a week, and started back when dd was 7 weeks. I'm very lucky that my company let me cut back from 40 hours and that my dh is able to stay home with our now 11 mo old, but both of those things are making saving for a house (and hopefully someday paying a mortgage) a lot harder.

DH is a writer/editor, and originally had a deal with the magazine he used to work for that he'd keep some of his responsibilites for a flat $1000 a month. But he stopped that a few months ago because it was too hard to make all the phone calls during the day that were required to get the work done.

Before the baby, he thought that he'd be able to take care of the baby, keep up on laundry, keep the house clean, shop and make dinner, do his regular work, and do other freelance work. I told him he was crazy, but he said it would be easy to do when dd was sleeping. So now the regular work is dropped, the new freelance work hasn't got off the ground, the laundry and shopping are done after I get home from work, the house is only semi-clean when company is coming over and we eat takeout a lot! So we both have tons of respect ANY parents (SAH or otherwise) who manage to stay on top of things!

As for me, I'm still pumping twice a day at work, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep that up. DD is eating more and more solids, and actually refused any EBM last Thursday or Friday. I turned in my rental pump a few months ago and started just using hand pumps now that my at-work supply isn't as critical.

Are there any working moms with babies over a year that can tell me about their pumping situations?
#8 of 33 Old 01-19-2004, 04:46 PM

I'm a WOHM! Just so you know, there is a sub-forum in Parenting Issues for working mamas!

I work 4 days/week, from approx. 8:30-4:30. I came back when DS was 6 months old. I'm an attorney, so my job can either be really flexible (if there isn't much going on, or I'm doing research I can do from home) or really NOT (if there is a client who wanted something yesterday, or there is a deadline). But, overall, it's going pretty well. DS is doing great at his daycare center, except for some sleeping issues.

Our biggest challenge is definately getting out of the house in the morning! My DH is a teacher, so he leaves the house around 6:00, right when I get up, so it's all me.

I've been pumping for DS since I came back to work. I have had enough milk until about a week ago - first there came an issue where I had to miss a day of pumping because of serving as a child advocate, and then I had to go to a funeral on Saturday, and then I got dehydrated with a stomach virus. So, for the last week, DS has been getting one bottle of mama's milk and one bottle of whole milk while I'm gone instead of his usual 2 bottles of mama's milk. I think that over the next several weeks we'll be reducing the pumping, and using whole milk during the day and nursing at night.

Glad to see all you WOHM's here! We're not alone!
#9 of 33 Old 01-19-2004, 05:01 PM

Hi,

I start my practicum for my degree tomorrow, I will be working full time plus taking a class and writing my comprehensive exams.... yikes.

I am nervous.... DP and I feel good about the daycare situation, but still, it is freaking me out.

At least DS is 6 months instead of 6 weeks like my sister had to do.....

It's going to be fine. It's going to be fine. It's going to be fine.

Sam is a social creature, he loves being around other people... especially other children and that REALLY helps since I know he will really enjoy the stimuation of the other kids. The center is only 8 kids total and both of the workers are WONDERFUL.

Well, I need to go see if I have any of my work clothes that fit me anymore -- I haven't worn real (business) work clothes since May of 2001 when I quit working full time to go to school....

Huge changes ahead!!!

kathy
#10 of 33 Old 01-19-2004, 08:32 PM

Moving this to the Working Mama's forum.
#11 of 33 Old 01-19-2004, 10:46 PM
jak

I have an almost 6 month old and have to start work in two weeks and have some anxiety about it. The good thing is that I am a teacher so I get out in the early afternoon and avoid the commute rush to get home and be with dd. Bad thing is the work is very stressful and all-consuming and I don't know how I'm going to balance doing my job well and raising my girl.
#12 of 33 Old 01-19-2004, 10:54 PM

There is a board here for Working Mamas.
I just returned to work, I have a 5 mth old.
I'm also pumping, dh is staying home. So far, so good.
I do miss my little guy, but I know he's good with his dad, and I am enjoying my time.
When I'm home, I cosleep, bf on demand, sling, we only use cloth. We know every one of his cues. I feel very attached.
I feel AP is very possible even if you woh.

Mamasoleil/samson
#13 of 33 Old 01-20-2004, 02:38 PM

I've been back full-time since August after DS was born. I'm a therapist/program manager at a school/day treatment center for severely behavior disordered kids. I'm SO tired of pumping! And I barely keep up with him as far as how much I need to send to day care.

I should go to the working outside the home board more often to see what's up. Perhaps I shall.
#14 of 33 Old 01-20-2004, 04:38 PM

Me, Me, Me! I had to go back to work full-time when DD was just 12 weeks. I'm an Admin. Assistant for our City's Social Services Director. I had a hard time leaving DD at daycare, but we're adjusted to it now & it's easier. I do get over to the DCP at lunch hour every day to nurse, which does help a LOT! I feel so much more comfortable now that I know the people and spend some amount of time with them 5 days a week. I don't think I could do it if I wasn't able to be there with her & see them all in action & doing their normal routines every day.

I'll second the "I'm so sick of pumping" thought! I started having supply issues at about 5 months - we made it to 6 months 100% breastfed-which was my minimum goal. Now she's 50/50 formula & breastmilk and I have officially hung up the horns. Now we nurse when we're together & she gets a bottle of formula when we're apart. So I don't feel like a heel - this is as far as I'll go toward any kind of weaning. She'll get to wean herself the rest of the way when she's good & ready.
#15 of 33 Old 01-20-2004, 05:06 PM

I work full time out of the home. I'm also in a university environment. I'm an academic librarian. This past year, I had to go through the tenure process, and it was quite stressful with two small children. Nearly everyone who has made it here is childless.

I enjoy my work and don't feel particularly guilty about it. I've got excellent child care and my kids are thriving. I freely admit, I would make a lousy SAHM.

Prior to this job and the kids, I worked for a corporation. This position comes with much more vacation and sick time, and generally more flexibility, which has made working with kids much easier. My dh is a teacher, so he gets all the vacations and the summers off with the kids. I feel like we are lucky to have a pretty balanced situation.

I also have a hard time getting out of the house in the morning. I need to get the kids to their daycare provider's house by 7:15 so that dd can catch the school bus, and I generally feel pressured in the morning. On the bright side, dh picks the kids up, usually by about 3:30, so they have some time for fun stuff before dinner.
#16 of 33 Old 01-20-2004, 05:15 PM

I am an emergency room nurse, student and volunteer at my sons school. I love what i do, and although the juggling can be hard, i wouldnt change a thing. I have three kids.....my little guy is 5, and my older 2 are 13 & 16.

You can work and AP. It can be done. I dont find it that difficult, although when my youngest was nursing it was a bit challenging. My kids are doing fine. I adore them and they adore me. we are a real team in our house!
#17 of 33 Old 01-20-2004, 06:35 PM

Another part-timer here! We take Belle to a wonderful center three days a week, but luckily I work close by, so I visit and nurse her on my lunch hour.

I can relate to the "sick of pumping" comments! I hardly ever pump at home anymore because of it. (I used to pump occasionally to boost my milk supply.)

I'm conflicted about working ... but ultimately I think it's what you make of the time you have together that counts the most.
#18 of 33 Old 01-20-2004, 10:15 PM

I just went back 2 months ago when DS turned 1year, and I'm still experiencing growing pains at home and at work. Just when I think I have the routine down, and the job re-learned(I'm in Canada, so I was lucky enough to get the full year off and still return to my job (if you could call getting that job back lucky : )) a curve ball comes my way. I'm a Collections Manager. I either hate it or I love it, depending on what time of day it is, and what crappy situation I'm dealing with with my staff.

Dh is AMAZING at helping with everything, including housework and ds's care. He works full-time too. One of my saving grace's is that we can afford to have cleaners come in every other week to do the bathrooms, floors, dusting and kitchen counters, etc. I honestly would love to kiss those women when I come home to a clean house! I try to stay organized with meal planning and packing lunches etc. I'm also incredibly fortunate to have enough family to watch ds everyday (Mon-Fri 7-5). I still pay them, and it's worth the extra half hour added to my commute to know he's with people who love him as much as we do.
#19 of 33 Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 PM

I WOH full-time. I'm a family physician and have office hours 32 hours a week, plus do hospital and nursing home care and deliver babies. My schedule can be pretty crazy, but I can take the baby with me a lot, and since I'm in charge of my schedule, I take off if I need to for my kids' special events.
I went back to work when the baby was 6 weeks old. I pump at work, too. My girl was exclusively breastfed/breastmilk fed until 6 mos when we started offering solids, but she didn't start to eat any until 7 mos. I really love our nursing relationship, but really don't like pumping. I'm doing fine with supply, though, and have a good freezer stash. I intend to pump at least a year, even though it's hard with my schedule.
Every so often I think maybe I'd be happier at home, and I think my current schedule is a little out of hand, so I'm planning to cut back starting this summer. It's not the baby so much, but my teenager who needs more supervision and my grade schoolers who just want me around more. I really love my job and struggle with letting it consume more and more of my time!
#20 of 33 Old 01-22-2004, 06:29 PM

...but it feels like I'm full-time!

I'm a children's librarian, and there aren't very many options for part-time in my field (at least I haven't found that many in So. Cal). While I work 26.5 hours a week (4 days/ week), I commute by car or train depending on the day. So my 6 hour days wind up being about 8-8.5 sometimes.

BUT..., it gives me time outside the home, I get to readjust and prepare my mood before I get home, and I can even read or crochet soakers (obviously if I'm on the train )! I've discovered this makes it much easier when I get home to take dd off of dh's hands (he works full time, but has an early morning shift). We're blessed to have both a good friend and my mother available to babysit.

I pump at home and work. I've long been tired with it, but because dd and I had issues nursing I have no other choice. (Too long of a story to bring up here.) Unfortunately, it means we also supplement as well, because some days I just can't keep up with her.

[edited to add] Oh yeah! I returned to work exactly when dd was turned 3 months. I almost went back when she was two months, but then I got the offer on my current position.
Nissa
#21 of 33 Old 01-22-2004, 07:00 PM

I was about half done with my midwifery apprenticeship when dd was born. I took 4 months off from seeing clients and nine months off form being oncall.

I never had any success pumping which mostly meant a lot of running back and forth between appointments and relying on people to bring her to nurse when I was at longer births.

I was lucky that almost all of the people I worked with and for were very supportive of my and dd relationship and my mothering philosophy.

Now she's 2 1/2 and I am starting my own practice. I try to do as much as I can during naps. We have a few close friends who will be with on-call. In some ways it is easy because midwifery is my passion so I am driven to make to make it work for us- even though it means limited personal time for me. The main downside is the lack of schedule- I think it is hard for little ones to have no routine (or a routine that is always getting interuppted).

The funny thing is I didn't really think of myself as a WOHM until I started feeling so stressed about trying to do it all- when dd was about 1 1/2. Now I have embraced that title a little more and it lets me give myself a mental break.
#22 of 33 Old 01-23-2004, 01:16 PM

I am new here and glad to have found this. I am a pediatric critical care advanced practiced nurse. DD is 25 mos and comes to work onsite with me. My decision to go back was due to a few things . . . we were living in expensive NYC in an apartment with plans of buying a house in NJ and all of that expense (cars, had very little furniture, etc); 401K, getting vested, benefits, graduated not long before DD was born and didn't want there to be a big gap between graduating as an APN and working as one---afraid I wouldn't get hired, the importance of what I do (caring for critically ill kids and teaching nurses to care for them) and finally, the fact that I knew I had a good situation---excellent onsite care and the ability to nurse at lunch and pump, short commute, understanding boss and peers and an extremely flexible position. I will be looking to do something creative when I have a 2nd child but wish to stay at the same hospital with the same onsite center and benefits, hoping for a PT nurse practitioner position or job sharing my current job. If it doesn't work I will stay home for a year or so then look for a similar situation . . .

I pumped for a year and didn't really hate it--I got to go back to my office for a bit and destress

I am lucky enough to have a cleaning person every 2 weeks and a DH who doesn't mind simple meals. I try to spend all of my time outside work with DD (and as little as possible not focused on her. However, at her age now she "helps" with household tasks which makes it a bit easier) and as much as I can with DH (sometimes he works long hours)

It can be tough but I feel we have a good balance right now. I limit my work week to 8 hr days, have to do some weekends (when DD is with DH and her grandparents from Boston often also come) and I get comp time during the week for that and I also have to take my "paid time off" (vacation/holiday/sick time) or lose it which works out to about 37 days a year so I work an average of 4 days most weeks.

It is tough but it CAN be done . . . and the quality of time with your kids is what is most important. remember, if you work 40 hrs you are not working 128 hours a week!
#23 of 33 Old 01-28-2004, 03:48 AM

I went back to work as a receptionist during third shift six months ago. Ds was four and dd was three.

I miss them, but they are sleeping when I'm working, and dh is at home with them, so it's really not that much of a big deal to them. When I'm at home, and awake, I try to spend as much time with them as I can.

They still love me, I still feel very attached, and it's working out okay. Other than me not sleeping very much and really hating household chores, that is.
#24 of 33 Old 01-29-2004, 11:56 AM

Hi Andib! I have a daughter named Casey, too.....although, she'll be 13 years old on February 15th. Yikes, I can't believe I almost have a teenager. Casey is such a pretty name, and I've always thought of it as a girl's name.

That aside, I have another daughter, 9 years old, and a son on the way, due April 5th. I've always had to work. Unfortunately, things are very expensive in New Jersey, and it would be an extremely hard slog if I had stayed home when my daughters were babies. "Impossible" is the word that comes to mind! My ex-husband didn't make that much money, and in fact was very cavalier about not having any and not worrying about where the $$ was going to come from. Not very comforting, to say the least.

I was remarried in June of '02, and my new husband is absolutely the best, in all ways. He's so excited about my pregnancy and the baby! As an aside, he makes a much better living than my first husband. I'm planning on taking the 6 months leave (unpaid, of course!) that my company allows. After that, I'm thinking about the possibility of staying home full-time, or at least going back to work part-time. I think that would be the ideal. It's a very tough decision. Ideally, of course, I wouldn't have to work at all, and could stay home with my new son, and be able to pick my daughters up after school, etc. However, we bought a house in May of '02, and have very large house payments. We have to start thinking about saving for college for the kids (we haven't put any money away yet), and there are a lot of other expenses. It would a burden on my DH, and things would be tight for many years. Plus, I'll have 20 years with my company this year, and just got my five weeks of vacation. I'll be 40 this year, and like it or not, I have to begin thinking towards the retirement years. So many questions, and sometimes I think it's just not fair that we moms have to make these decisions!

I give kudos to all of the work-outside-of-home and going-to-school moms here....it's a tough thing no matter how you look at it. Unfortunately, sometimes on these boards I feel like working moms get looked down upon a bit. It's nice to see a thread like this.
#25 of 33 Old 01-31-2004, 04:24 PM

Hi everyone. I am officially de-lurking.

I haven't posted here before, because I wasn't sure whether I am going to continue to WOH or not, but now I am pretty sure that I want to.

I WOH part-time. I took extended leave from my job and was at home with dd and ds until they were a year old, then went back part-time, a schedule which remains.

I work Monday 9-3, Tuesday 9-3, and Wednesday 9-12 - I'm lucky to be <10 minutes drive from my office. I also do work from home, though I have a firm rule - ONLY when dd and ds are napping or after their bedtime.

We have a wonderful, loving, pro-AP nanny who comes to our house. She has been working with us since dd and ds were 6 months old - long before I knew whether or not I was going to even go back to work. When the time came last spring, it was really easy actually, because we had worked side by side for so long, and she really knew dd and ds.
#26 of 33 Old 02-01-2004, 05:34 PM

when I was "sent home." Loong story. Basically I had a lot of "attagirls" saved up and you know what happens when you "aws**t" GONE LIKE THE WIND. Sigh.

Anyway, I now WAH but, my kids are 4 and 7 and are in daycare and public school, so I maintain the day schedule. I do have to work a lot on weekends and evenings, though, to get lines typed (I'm a medical transcriptionist) in order to make the budget!

Funny, I was stressing to DH today about "working all the time," and he said, "well, it's not as bad as you think. When you were at the office you brought it all home with you, plus you had to work at night on top of it." He's been very supportive of the change, though he thinks they are stupid to have sent me home.

I like the break, though. I think I would make a really bad SAHM. I thought about home schooling but I truly don't think I have the discipline or talent for it. I'm planning to take oldest DS out of afterschool care soon and look forward to working with him on homework after school and such, and getting more involved with his school since my schedule is now so much more flexible.
#27 of 33 Old 02-02-2004, 09:26 PM

Add me to the list of WOHers. AndiB, if you're where I think you are, I graduated from that Uni way back in '93. So, what a small world it is. I'm a full-time PhD student, & I work pt tutoring in BioSci during semester. Kiddos are 3 & 5, but I'm trying to get away with only being at Uni 3 days per week & work from home the other 2 (ha! more like the other 4!) That's not working very well, so I'm trying to drop back to part-time studies. There are a whole bunch of us out here in MDC land trying to combine the work-family thang- the Working Mamas forum is pretty friendly like that. Welcome.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#28 of 33 Old 02-03-2004, 10:35 AM

i'm a WOHM mom too. I'm a surgery resident, now doing research so with a more normal schedule. Still not enough time with my boy, but what are you going to do? Thankfully, I still have almost 1 1/2 years before I go back in the hospital. I miss operating but don't miss the insane schedule!

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#29 of 33 Old 02-03-2004, 11:14 AM

just saw this thread so I'll chime in -

I've actually been WOH since dd was three days old! How you ask? Well, dd was in the NICU for 10 days because she was born six weeks early and I didn't have my office in order for maternity leave. I couldn't do much at the hospital between feedings so I popped over to my office to make sure our graduate assistants were put on the payroll for spring term! (I work at a university coordinating internships and exchange programs.) So, from the very beginning I came in to the office about 4 hrs/wk just to keep things afloat (my office is pretty much a one woman show) and gradually increased the hours until I was back full time when dd was 4 months old. I now work 4 10-hour days which is great. My dh cares for dd while I am at work since he has a home business that is flexible.

I really like my job and we need the stability of it since dh has his own business. The only sucky part was when I had to travel to Europe for our exchange programs when dd was 9 and 11 months old (1 week the first trip, 5 days the second). I think the people on the plane thought I was crazy - bawling my eyes out and trying to discretely pump in coach class -- NIP is much easier! I have pumped on a plane, I have pumped on a train, I can pump in a car, I can pump from afar (ok, so my attempt at Dr. Suess is lame)

I too am sick of pumping now that dd is 13 months old. Not sure when I'll quit because we don't give her any liquids besides ebm and a little water -- she's had enough formula in her short life while I dealt with some supply issues and I'm not big on cow's milk (that's for baby cows right?). :LOL But, she is down to one and a half small bottles per day while I'm at work so I could probaby skip pumping all together soon but deep down I don't know if I trust my body to keep producing enough milk for her for the times when I'm home (she's a major night nurser) -- anyone with advice on this please speak up. But..... since I am 35 and hope to have 3 kids we're thinking about number 2 which may lead to weaning anyway.

Ah well. Nuf about me -- glad to see so many WOHM's here!

~Hope
#30 of 33 Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 PM

I work full-time out of the home...ds is 6 years old and dd is 13 months old. I'm still pumping too at work. I wouldn't mind cutting back a few hours, but I have a flexible job and ds is in school and attends an after-school program and dd is in a daycare nearby...she is well cared for. Other than maybe wanting to cut back a few hours...I think its a pretty good situation..I'm the main breadwinner for the family. Sometimes I wish I could be home more but I don't think I'm completely cut out for being at home all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page